Doug Aldrich

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
I Am A FREAK
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Doug Aldrich

Post by I Am A FREAK »

I know he auditioned to replace Ace. Could he have been a good replacement for Ace, for you? (maybe he played on COTN) Just wonderin'
Attachments
DougAldrich2008.jpg
sunsetsuperman74
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Re: Doug Aldrich

Post by sunsetsuperman74 »

Yes because he's a very underated Guitarist. I thought he had fit in with Dio
cgtrman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by cgtrman »

In addition to being an incredible guitarist, Aldrich proved his songwriting skills in Whitesnake as well as Burning Rain and Dio. He is a great all-around musician.
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

More of a team player than Vinnie. Better player imo as well. Who knows what trajectory the band would have taken had he been selected
DeKiLaLoMa
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by DeKiLaLoMa »

He was too young.
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Wasn't he only 17 or 18 when he auditioned? He was really too young for the gig. If he had been 5 years older he would have had a good shot. He definitely would have been good for the band if he had been older.

I still think Punky Meadows was the best choice, but Gene's ego (and hurt feelings over a misunderstood comment) prevented that from happening.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 am Wasn't he only 17 or 18 when he auditioned? He was really too young for the gig. If he had been 5 years older he would have had a good shot. He definitely would have been good for the band if he had been older.

I still think Punky Meadows was the best choice, but Gene's ego (and hurt feelings over a misunderstood comment) prevented that from happening.
Yeah, you don't want to place an 18 year-old in Kiss, to replace Ace Frehley.
Would have been a recipe for disaster.

Why didn't they have their eyes on Bruce already in 1982? Can't remember.
lord71
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by lord71 »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 am Wasn't he only 17 or 18 when he auditioned? He was really too young for the gig. If he had been 5 years older he would have had a good shot. He definitely would have been good for the band if he had been older.

What comment?
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by B5Erik »

lord71 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 am

What comment?
Gene offered Punky the gig, but Punky told him that he had committed to a recording project with Gregg Giuffria and had to complete that. Punky meant that he had to do that first, but Gene thought Punky was turning him down. Gene just walked out before Punky could explain more clearly.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:19 am
lord71 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 am

What comment?
Gene offered Punky the gig, but Punky told him that he had committed to a recording project with Gregg Giuffria and had to complete that. Punky meant that he had to do that first, but Gene thought Punky was turning him down. Gene just walked out before Punky could explain more clearly.
Okay. Interesting minutia. thanks.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

He was good enough to play with Dio, Whitesnake and Glenn Hughes, so...

As an aside, I saw him live with all of the aforementioned artists and he never failed to impress.

Whitesnake, in particular, is just not the same without him.

NHKISSFAN
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by NHKISSFAN »

Never knew he had auditioned for KISS. Saw him with Whitesnake and Dead Daisies opening the FTR show. Absolutely phenomenal player. Was looking forward to DD touring with Glenn Hughes this year but......... :(
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Punky would have been a much better fit for Kiss than Vinnie.
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

How many great songs has Punky Meadows written?
Tallbear13

Post by Tallbear13 »

Doug would have been a good fit but the age difference stops that
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

I wonder if this is the same guy I saw in Vegas a few years ago, playing in a 80s rock tribute show (can't remember the show name now).

He was really good, fun to watch, and great stage presence.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 am

Maybe musically and in the long run, but Angel is pretty terrible when it comes to songs. He wouldn't have elevated the band in the way that Vinnie did. LIU benefited from the fact that Vinnie did much of the heavy lifting songwriting wise.

The crap that came after on Animalize, Asylum, etc until Unholy - pretty much confirms that Vinnie was the missing ingredient. Having said that, VVI is dogshit. Whatever his creative vision was for his own band was just awful.
sunsetsuperman74
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

jannep17 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 am

What did his age have to do with anything? Ronnie James Dio hired Rowan Robertson when he was 17 to replace Craig Goldy in Dio for the Lock Up The Wolves LP. It just boiled down to talent, song writing and his attitude. If Gene and Paul's heads were more into replacing Ace at the time they could of had replaced him with a suitable replacement over the disaster that was Vinnie Vincent. They wouldn't have the regrets of having him in the band over someone who would have been a full team player.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

sunsetsuperman74 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

What did his age have to do with anything? Ronnie James Dio hired Rowan Robertson when he was 17 to replace Craig Goldy in Dio for the Lock Up The Wolves LP. It just boiled down to talent, song writing and his attitude. If Gene and Paul's heads were more into replacing Ace at the time they could of had replaced him with a suitable replacement over the disaster that was Vinnie Vincent. They wouldn't have the regrets of having him in the band over someone who would have been a full team player.
There's a big difference between Kiss and Dio.
Dio was a big deal in the heavy metal community, but with Kiss, you had the whole world (ok I exaggerate a bit) looking.
I think any 18 year-old who was drawn into that machine, would come out damaged on the other side.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Bob pushed for them to hire Bruce after Ace but Gene didn’t “like his mustache”.
sunsetsuperman74
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

jannep17 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Dio was a big deal in the heavy metal community, but with Kiss, you had the whole world (ok I exaggerate a bit) looking.
I think any 18 year-old who was drawn into that machine, would come out damaged on the other side.
🙄Oh yeah I'm sure the World would have come to end. When Eric Carr joined the group the magazines stated that he was younger than Paul Stanley until years later it was revealed that he was born in 1950. Gene Simmons used to claim that he was born in Transylvania then it was revealed that he was born in Israel. The BIG KISS machine could have added a couple of years to Doug's age to keep up with the mystique and it wouldn't have mattered🤦🏻‍♂️
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by B5Erik »

sunsetsuperman74 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 pm

🙄Oh yeah I'm sure the World would have come to end. When Eric Carr joined the group the magazines stated that he was younger than Paul Stanley until years later it was revealed that he was born in 1950. Gene Simmons used to claim that he was born in Transylvania then it was revealed that he was born in Israel. The BIG KISS machine could have added a couple of years to Doug's age to keep up with the mystique and it wouldn't have mattered🤦🏻‍♂️
In Dio, Rowan Robertson's age and inexperience (not to mention naivete and immaturity, like all kids of that age) was kept under wraps because Ronnie steered the ship. In KISS Doug would have been expected to do a lot more, and he would have had to deal with the Gene VS Paul dynamic, not to mention the image machine that they were trying to keep running. KISS was a meat grinder that required someone with more maturity and experience. Hell, Vinnie didn't work out because of his personality deficiencies. Talent isn't enough.
sunsetsuperman74
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

B5Erik wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:19 pm

In Dio, Rowan Robertson's age and inexperience (not to mention naivete and immaturity, like all kids of that age) was kept under wraps because Ronnie steered the ship. In KISS Doug would have been expected to do a lot more, and he would have had to deal with the Gene VS Paul dynamic, not to mention the image machine that they were trying to keep running. KISS was a meat grinder that required someone with more maturity and experience. Hell, Vinnie didn't work out because of his personality deficiencies. Talent isn't enough.
🙄🙄🙄🙄 Whatever..I forget how much KISS fans know more about the music industry than a actual musician who's had more experience than someone who hasn't. I've learned my lesson, Ty! Gotta love the wisdom of a forum. Gene and Paul need to hire you for your expert opinion🤦🏻‍♂️
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by B5Erik »

sunsetsuperman74 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:30 pm
🙄🙄🙄🙄 Whatever..I forget how much KISS fans know more about the music industry than a actual musician who's had more experience than someone who hasn't. I've learned my lesson, Ty! Gotta love the wisdom of a forum. Gene and Paul need to hire you for your expert opinion🤦🏻‍♂️
Even Doug himself has said he wasn't anywhere near ready. Do you know more than Doug?
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 pm
Even Doug himself has said he wasn't anywhere near ready. Do you know more than Doug?
Wasn't that him basically acknowledging that he was too young because that was the reason why he was passed over - more so than feeling that he didn't have the goods. He would have happily joined KISS if they didn't care that he was younger.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Erik is right. You are not.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about the actual person not being able to handle being in a band like Kiss.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

sneed78 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Bob pushed for them to hire Bruce after Ace but Gene didn’t “like his mustache”.
You'd think Gene would be aware of razors at this point in time.
adamsebas
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by adamsebas »

C grade at best
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

adamsebas wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:09 am C grade at best

Keep telling yourself that over and over again as you watch this.

Frehley's Vomit

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm
Frehley's Vomit wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 am

Maybe musically and in the long run, but Angel is pretty terrible when it comes to songs. He wouldn't have elevated the band in the way that Vinnie did. LIU benefited from the fact that Vinnie did much of the heavy lifting songwriting wise.

The crap that came after on Animalize, Asylum, etc until Unholy - pretty much confirms that Vinnie was the missing ingredient. Having said that, VVI is dogshit. Whatever his creative vision was for his own band was just awful.
Vinnie helped write some good stuff for sure, but his solos were screeching dreck and he was (still is) a nightmare to deal with (as evidenced by just about everyone who's had anything to do with him in any capacity). Punky was a more logical choice as far as his playing and his personality goes, hence my opinion that he would have been a much better fit for Kiss than Vinnie.
caligari

Post by caligari »

👼🏼
Punky would have been a great fit.
He had age, height, look, stage presence, showmanship, experience and common musical influences with Gene & Paul. Punky also knows how to play FOR THE SONG - just like Ace had done. Although not as prolific a song writer as Vinnie, I’m sure his cowrites with Gene and Paul would have been just fine. I can only guess, but I bet he would have provided the stability they lacked and he would have been in the band right up until the reunion.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

You don't have to like him or his style, but this is entirely delusional.
Frehley's Vomit

Doug's a terrific player. He might possibly have been too young and inexperienced at the time he auditioned for Kiss, but I'd have rather have heard him in the band than Vinnie Vincent.
caveyspice
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by caveyspice »

Crown Royal wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am I wonder if this is the same guy I saw in Vegas a few years ago, playing in a 80s rock tribute show (can't remember the show name now).

Raiding the Rock Vault? Yes that was him. I saw that show at the Tropicana in 2015. Phenomenal guitarist!
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 am
sneed78 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 pm

You'd think Gene would be aware of razors at this point in time.
I guess he only discovered them years later :D
FanbAce1978

Post by FanbAce1978 »

Probably my favorite Dio guitar player.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

FanbAce1978 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:35 pmProbably my favorite Dio guitar player.
Live, definitely.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

Probably never heard him play huh ?
Farewell Tour 2030
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Farewell Tour 2030 »

Crown Royal wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am I wonder if this is the same guy I saw in Vegas a few years ago, playing in a 80s rock tribute show (can't remember the show name now).

No, the guy you are thinking of is in Whitesnake now though. He also plays with Cher and played in Night Ranger too. Joel Hoekstra is his name.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Who was the guy who played in Wendy O William's band when she went solo? Did he audition? He would have been a killer replacement.
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

The guy that we think wrote the solo on It’s My Life?