Best Of Solo Albums CD

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Best Of Solo Albums CD

Post by Australia1980 »

So IDK if Best Of Solo Albums was ever released on CD, but I recently came across my cassette from back in the day and decided to make a CD of my own. I had a hard time finding good scans of the vinyl, so I opted to make my own cover. For the front, I took someone's digital rendering and replaced the images by shrinking down some very high quality scans that I had of the actual solo albums and pasting them in. Also, I pasted in a logo from a scan of a vinyl reissue.

The back cover...I just took a decent scan and cleaned it up and pasted in the Phonogram logo from another scan because i thought it was cool. Also I moved a couple things and cropped the edges so that the artwork/tracks end up bigger when printed. Also I numbered each track because it's for CD.

Anyway, I ended up spending some time on these, so I figured I'd share. If you're inclined to make your own Best Of Solo Albums CD, they'll give you a head start.

https://imgur.com/a/ZxfjLnJ

PS was Best Of Solo Albums ever released on CD?
Den Dennis
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Best Of Solo Albums CD

Post by Den Dennis »

Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Good job! Here's a nice version with original logo:

I'm partial to the Australian release with different member configuration and no red border. But decent scans are hard to find:

Last edited by Four-Who-Are-One on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Good work! Is that song list your own doing?
The Australian release of BOTSA I had featured several different songs.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:23 pm Good work! Is that song list your own doing?
Different track listings for different counties.
http://www.kissmonster.com/discography/bestsolo.php
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

savage_dreams wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 am
Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:23 pm Good work! Is that song list your own doing?
Different track listings for different counties.
http://www.kissmonster.com/discography/bestsolo.php
Ah thanks for that. So this is the Euro version. See You In Your Dreams threw me for a loop. I never knew it made any of the versions.
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you like.

I guess the problem I kept seeing was the same problem that plagues most solo album scans. Too dark on most, with the color and contrast boosted to "juice things up". But a lot gets compromised when you do things like that. The detail gets lost because there's too much contrast. Eraldo Carugati spent a lot of time on little things which is why those album covers (the 12", in 1978) were so amazing. If you compare the 2nd scan posted with mine you will see what I mean. Especially the hair. And the left side of Gene's face, etc.

PS I have a question. The 2014 KISS vinyl reissues of the solo albums...were they faithful reproductions? or do they look like the 1997 CD remasters (too dark, color and contrast boosted, detail lost)?
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Do you guys think the right songs were chosen for this compilation? I know I wouldve picked quite a different song list.
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

Awesome job! I did my own a few years ago, I included 20 songs for mine :)
Attachments
20200628_191623.jpg
20200628_191314.jpg
20200628_191813.jpg
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

Man, I remember that now. I think I might even had it. I don't feel like looking through my collection. It's all over the place.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

It was my introduction to Kiss.
Four-Who-Are-One

Australia1980 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 pmI guess the problem I kept seeing was the same problem that plagues most solo album scans. Too dark on most, with the color and contrast boosted to "juice things up". But a lot gets compromised when you do things like that. The detail gets lost because there's too much contrast. Eraldo Carugati spent a lot of time on little things which is why those album covers (the 12", in 1978) were so amazing. If you compare the 2nd scan posted with mine you will see what I mean. Especially the hair. And the left side of Gene's face, etc

I admire your quality control. Don't suppose you'd consider turning your hand to the Australian version?
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Australia1980 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 pmI guess the problem I kept seeing was the same problem that plagues most solo album scans. Too dark on most, with the color and contrast boosted to "juice things up". But a lot gets compromised when you do things like that. The detail gets lost because there's too much contrast. Eraldo Carugati spent a lot of time on little things which is why those album covers (the 12", in 1978) were so amazing. If you compare the 2nd scan posted with mine you will see what I mean. Especially the hair. And the left side of Gene's face, etc

I admire your quality control. Don't suppose you'd consider turning your hand to the Australian version?
Ask and you [sometimes] shall receive...

There were problems because I had to take the title from the one you posted but that was way too small so I had to enlarge it. The result is that the title is blurred. And it's still undersized, I only enlarged the title at 150% because if I made it full size it would have looked even blurrier

Also, I had to darken eveything to match the title's black background. Much detail is lost, but a lot does remain. Also nothing is in the right place because I had no template of any kind to work with (unlike the red one). I just winged it. I do think it's better than what's on available on Google. Not as good as the red one I did though.

So here it is. I suspect that it might look pretty good when printed at CD size.

Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

tasmith72 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm Awesome job! I did my own a few years ago, I included 20 songs for mine :)
Seriously nice work dude.
Four-Who-Are-One

Australia1980 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pmAsk and you [sometimes] shall receive...

There were problems because I had to take the title from the one you posted but that was way too small so I had to enlarge it. The result is that the title is blurred. And it's still undersized, I only enlarged the title at 150% because if I made it full size it would have looked even blurrier

Also, I had to darken eveything to match the title's black background. Much detail is lost, but a lot does remain. Also nothing is in the right place because I had no template of any kind to work with (unlike the red one). I just winged it. I do think it's better than what's on available on Google. Not as good as the red one I did though.

So here it is. I suspect that it might look pretty good when printed at CD size.

Awesome work!! Thank you kindly. :salut:
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:11 am
Australia1980 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pmAsk and you [sometimes] shall receive...

Awesome work!! Thank you kindly. :salut:
Glad you like it. I took a minute to move things around and change the cropping. The positioning of everything is now really close to the positioning on the one you posted. I figured out that in slideshow mode they would both appear at the exact same size and I could toggle back and forth between the two and really see what's what.

Hopefully the one you posted is the way the actual album is... :)

Four-Who-Are-One

Australia1980 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20 amHopefully the one you posted is the way the actual album is... :)

Actually I hate to say it, but I just noticed the original release has their portraits bigger/closer together:

But you've done enough! Thanks again :)
Four-Who-Are-One

Also a few hi-res pics from the iTunes Store. May or may not be as good as the ones you have...

Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

I never get tired of looking at those images! Those are such amazing portraits!!

I asked earlier but got no response. What do you guys think about the songs that were chosen for The Best of Solos compilation? I feel like they really missed the mark in terms of choosing the best material from each solo album. If I were doing this compilation I would have chosen the following songs from each...

ACE:

1. Rip It Out
2. Snow Blind
3. New York Groove (this is not my 3rd favorite song from Ace's album but considering the success of the single you can't really leave it off.)

Gene:

1. Radioactive
2. Tunnel of Love
3. See You Tonight

Paul:

1. Tonight You Belong To Me
2. It's Alright
3. Wouldn't You Like To Know Me

Peter:

1. I'm Gonna Love You
2. Hooked On Rock and Roll
3. Easy Thing
Four-Who-Are-One

I didn’t buy the individual solo albums for literally decades after I got this so I never questioned the Aussie track list.

After hearing Ace’s album I agree there were lots of other strong tracks on there. And yes, See You Tonight is a good ‘un from Gene, but Mr Make Believe is probably my favourite track from all four.
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

Australia1980 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 pm
tasmith72 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm Awesome job! I did my own a few years ago, I included 20 songs for mine :)
Seriously nice work dude.
Thanks, man! :-D
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:36 pm
Australia1980 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20 amHopefully the one you posted is the way the actual album is... :)

Actually I hate to say it, but I just noticed the original release has their portraits bigger/closer together:

But you've done enough! Thanks again :)
No, mine is way off from the actual album. I suspected that everything was too small, but didn't know what was what.

So I fixed it again. I couldn't leave it the way it was. If you're going to do something, do it right. Everything is real close now, and the titling is almost the correct size.

Anyway, here it is. i think this thing came out pretty good after all.

Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 pm Also a few hi-res pics from the iTunes Store. May or may not be as good as the ones you have...
These are really nice! Thanks for posting them. I think they're pretty comparable to what I have, but they're bigger!

PS i-Tunes...do you need to sign up and have an account to get album artwork?
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Okay this really is the final version here, I pasted in new names because they were blurry on mine and because the newest pic you posted had good ones.

Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Replaced blurry titling with the one from your post. All done now

Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

final final.

Four-Who-Are-One

Awesome!!! Thanks for your tireless efforts :D

And you don't need to be an iTunes member to get the artwork, you can search for it here: https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-a ... index.html

(If you search under Germany it even has the alternative logo!)
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm Awesome!!! Thanks for your tireless efforts :D

And you don't need to be an iTunes member to get the artwork, you can search for it here: https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-a ... index.html

(If you search under Germany it even has the alternative logo!)
Glad you like it. I actually printed it last night, put it in the CD I made, I guess as an alt. cover. It prints real nice, the overblown contrast actually translates pretty well to the cardstock. Same with the bright red in the Euro version I did

Thanks for the link!! what a great site
Four-Who-Are-One

Here's another higher-res version, not as high-res as then individual ones, but interested to see how you feel about the quality...

Easy Catman

Post by Easy Catman »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 am Here's another higher-res version, not as high-res as then individual ones, but interested to see how you feel about the quality...

This would have been a great cover for the recent vinyl box set nice!
Four-Who-Are-One

Cancel that, repost!
acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

Australia1980 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:42 pm So IDK if Best Of Solo Albums was ever released on CD, but I recently came across my cassette from back in the day and decided to make a CD of my own. I had a hard time finding good scans of the vinyl, so I opted to make my own cover. For the front, I took someone's digital rendering and replaced the images by shrinking down some very high quality scans that I had of the actual solo albums and pasting them in. Also, I pasted in a logo from a scan of a vinyl reissue.

The back cover...I just took a decent scan and cleaned it up and pasted in the Phonogram logo from another scan because i thought it was cool. Also I moved a couple things and cropped the edges so that the artwork/tracks end up bigger when printed. Also I numbered each track because it's for CD.

Anyway, I ended up spending some time on these, so I figured I'd share. If you're inclined to make your own Best Of Solo Albums CD, they'll give you a head start.

https://imgur.com/a/ZxfjLnJ

PS was Best Of Solo Albums ever released on CD?
That track listing isn’t what I would call the best of the solo albums.