Ace confirms Bob Ezrin broke up the band

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
aceeg
Banned

Ace confirms Bob Ezrin broke up the band

Post by aceeg »

At around 9 min he says he was replaced on Destroyer
And wasn’t told till after it was released!
Providing the cracks in the band!
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Re: Ace confirms Bob Ezrin broke up the band

Post by Admin »

bwahahahaha
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by southernkiss »

That sounds like a repeat of Sweet Pain.
Sam T Serpent
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Sam T Serpent »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pmbwahahahaha
Right. Bob did it because of Ace’s decision to stay at a card game. So it was Ace that broke the band up
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

Ummmm newsflash: The band is still together, Ace.
Going Blind

Post by Going Blind »

Well that's a long crack Ace, considering you didn't leave till The Elder. Ace's anger is so lazy it takes him 5 albums later to get upset about the situation.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

Going Blind wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 pm Well that's a long crack Ace, considering you didn't leave till The Elder. Ace's anger is so lazy it takes him 5 albums later to get upset about the situation.
:lol: yep
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

“Childish stuff like that”? How about showing up for your session and you wouldn’t need to be replaced! Time is money, you think they wanted to stay in the studio any longer than they had to while he was off playing cards? The schedules were extremely tight back then. They most likely needed to get it done so they could move on.

Good ol’ Ace. Always blaming someone else. :roll:
Goodwilltowardsall

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

You must be feeling better.
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

He's a Taurus. Once he made up his mind on playing cards and found out about the session, he couldn't cancel the damn game.
Jamcarl321
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Jamcarl321 »

Going Blind wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 pm Well that's a long crack Ace, considering you didn't leave till The Elder. Ace's anger is so lazy it takes him 5 albums later to get upset about the situation.
When Bob Ezrin was producing again!
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Jamcarl321 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
When Bob Ezrin was producing again!
Bob Ezrin would have brought out the anger! He was like a drill Sergeant! LOL!
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm
Much improved today. Hope it indicates on the mend.
Red Yogurt Bath
Valde desideraberis
Valde desideraberis

Post by Red Yogurt Bath »

Sam T Serpent wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm
Right. Bob did it because of Ace’s decision to stay at a card game. So it was Ace that broke the band up
The lack of cell phones broke up the band. Likely Ace didn't give the guys a phone # where he could be reached!

Time crunch and the hourly budget of a studio means you gotta get on with things.

Bob: "Where's Ace? Sweet Pain is finished except this solo isn't good enough yet."
Paul: "He's somewhere in the Bronx playing cards I think."
Bob: "Oh... well." (opens his Rolodex to W for Wagner).
King
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by King »

I thought they fired Peter, then Ace quit because he didnt want to do the Elder. Ace had to have tapes mailed to him and Ezrin cut out his guitar work except 2 songs. I would say Desteoyer started the split. So an argument could be made that Ezrins involvement in those 2 records didnt help band relations. However, Ezrin should not be the sole person to blame.
ashorama
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ashorama »

Ha! Ha! Ha! Post the thread!
Ack Attack
Banned

Post by Ack Attack »

Ace’s wasted potential is legendary. He has no one to blame but himself.
ashorama
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ashorama »

This story gets bandied about a lot, but we're only getting one side of this. As Paul has admitted and Ace has accused, Paul had no friends, and the band toured and recorded because Paul and Gene had nothing else to do. Ace, however, had friends (even said he flew friends out to hang while on the tour). Perhaps Ace's card game had been planned for a while and Gene, Paul, and Ezrin were in the studio after Ace was told he wasn't needed for the rest of the day. Maybe they changed their mind and Ace was playing cards.

Let's not pretend Kiss were making art. This was their job, no matter how much they might've liked it. Electric Lady Studios was in Greenwich Village. I don't know where Ace lived, but the last time I was in Manhattan, getting anywhere took a while because of traffic. So, let's just say that it took an hour to get to the studio, it's not like Ace would be there for 10 minutes.

How many times did Gene just not show up for sessions?
steve

Post by steve »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm“Childish stuff like that”? How about showing up for your session and you wouldn’t need to be replaced!
Right? And when you finally get your old job back twenty years later, which you didn't deserve, how about cleaning up, looking after yourself, putting the work in and caring enough to play well?

I loved Ace as a kid, and think he was at his peak and a player and songwriter from 78-80. Seeing him live in 97 and 01 was one of many low points of the reunion era.
steve

Post by steve »

Ack Attack wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 pmAce’s wasted potential is legendary. He has no one to blame but himself.
Game, set and match right here. Even out of KISS, Frehley's Comet could really have been something, albeit a big fish in a small 80s rock pond, if Ace had (again) cleaned up, applied himself, practised, used his talent instead of pissing it away and worked with a co-writer/frontman who brought the best out of him.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

ashorama wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm This story gets bandied about a lot, but we're only getting one side of this. As Paul has admitted and Ace has accused, Paul had no friends, and the band toured and recorded because Paul and Gene had nothing else to do. Ace, however, had friends (even said he flew friends out to hang while on the tour). Perhaps Ace's card game had been planned for a while and Gene, Paul, and Ezrin were in the studio after Ace was told he wasn't needed for the rest of the day. Maybe they changed their mind and Ace was playing cards.

Let's not pretend Kiss were making art. This was their job, no matter how much they might've liked it. Electric Lady Studios was in Greenwich Village. I don't know where Ace lived, but the last time I was in Manhattan, getting anywhere took a while because of traffic. So, let's just say that it took an hour to get to the studio, it's not like Ace would be there for 10 minutes.

A couple of things I want to address. Firstly, you said KISS toured & recorded because Gene & Paul had nothing else to do. I think KISS toured & recorded because they were trying to climb the mountain and the band the biggest thing on the planet. This wasn’t a hobby that Gene & Paul worked harder at for kicks.

Secondly, from all that we’ve read Gene was there at pretty much every recording session, even those that he wasn’t required to attend. By the mid 80’s he had guys fill in but that came later.
Forty Deuce
Banned

Post by Forty Deuce »

steve wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:19 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm“Childish stuff like that”? How about showing up for your session and you wouldn’t need to be replaced!
Right? And when you finally get your old job back twenty years later, which you didn't deserve, how about cleaning up, looking after yourself, putting the work in and caring enough to play well?

I loved Ace as a kid, and think he was at his peak and a player and songwriter from 78-80. Seeing him live in 97 and 01 was one of many low points of the reunion era.
I know you have your preferences, but Gene and Paul needed the reunion just as badly as Ace and Peter did. You would not have 5 extra Bruce and Eric Singer albums if not for the reunion.

Truth be told, Paul and Gene deserve some blame as well with how things went with the reunion and the problems that returned. It isn't just Ace and Peter.
ashorama
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ashorama »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pm
ashorama wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm This story gets bandied about a lot, but we're only getting one side of this. As Paul has admitted and Ace has accused, Paul had no friends, and the band toured and recorded because Paul and Gene had nothing else to do. Ace, however, had friends (even said he flew friends out to hang while on the tour). Perhaps Ace's card game had been planned for a while and Gene, Paul, and Ezrin were in the studio after Ace was told he wasn't needed for the rest of the day. Maybe they changed their mind and Ace was playing cards.

A couple of things I want to address. Firstly, you said KISS toured & recorded because Gene & Paul had nothing else to do. I think KISS toured & recorded because they were trying to climb the mountain and the band the biggest thing on the planet. This wasn’t a hobby that Gene & Paul worked harder at for kicks.

Secondly, from all that we’ve read Gene was there at pretty much every recording session, even those that he wasn’t required to attend. By the mid 80’s he had guys fill in but that came later.
Of course, they toured because they were trying to climb the mountain. C'mon, man. Don't be such a literalist. They toured excessively, in Ace's view. Between April 1976 and April of 1978, they played 215 shows and recorded 3 albums. That's a lot of activity. For comparison's sake, Fleetwood Mac, played only 224 in 3 years, 1975-1978.

And it was the Eighties when Gene started telling this story.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

aceeg wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

At around 9 min he says he was replaced on Destroyer
"...they switched 'a couple' of my guitar solos with somebody else..." (the other one likely being "God of Thunder" ...perhaps even others). Interesting he claims he didn't find-out until 'after' the album was released. I'd really have a super good laugh if I found-out if they were all replaced by Bob & only to each find-out 'after' the album was released. And Bill was like, "Sorry, guys I guess Bob felt he needed to erase you all from your own album, but don't worry ...it'll all work-out for the greater good."

:)
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

Sam T Serpent wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm
He couldn't leave them without an ace in their deck...
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

aceeg wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm... he says he was replaced on Destroyer
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

ashorama wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pm

Of course, they toured because they were trying to climb the mountain. C'mon, man. Don't be such a literalist. They toured excessively, in Ace's view. Between April 1976 and April of 1978, they played 215 shows and recorded 3 albums. That's a lot of activity. For comparison's sake, Fleetwood Mac, played only 224 in 3 years, 1975-1978.

And it was the Eighties when Gene started telling this story.
Literalist? You literally said “ the band toured and recorded because Paul and Gene had nothing else to do“. How else does someone take that? :lol:

I don’t think Gene & Paul had any real say in things back then. It was all Bill Aucoin and Casablanca. Those two entities would have been constantly telling them that all the hard work was paying off and encouraging them to keep recording & touring etc.
steve

Post by steve »

Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pmI know you have your preferences, but Gene and Paul needed the reunion just as badly as Ace and Peter did. You would not have 5 extra Bruce and Eric Singer albums if not for the reunion.

Truth be told, Paul and Gene deserve some blame as well with how things went with the reunion and the problems that returned. It isn't just Ace and Peter.
You miss my point, sir. Regardless of my thoughts on Peter, he was drug free and in great shape for his age during the reunion years. Ace couldn't make any such claim, and that's what disappoints me. If I were given a golden opportunity like that, I would clean up, play the best I could and give my all. Ace didn't do that or anything close to it.
Forty Deuce
Banned

Post by Forty Deuce »

steve wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm
Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pmI know you have your preferences, but Gene and Paul needed the reunion just as badly as Ace and Peter did. You would not have 5 extra Bruce and Eric Singer albums if not for the reunion.

You miss my point, sir. Regardless of my thoughts on Peter, he was drug free and in great shape for his age during the reunion years. Ace couldn't make any such claim, and that's what disappoints me. If I were given a golden opportunity like that, I would clean up, play the best I could and give my all. Ace didn't do that or anything close to it.
Again, I think Gene and Paul contributed to that. Blame is deserved all around.
DoggFather
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by DoggFather »

Not sure the card game thing holds much water anymore. How come on Destroyer Resurrected, they found this "great" original Ace solo???
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

DoggFather wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 pm Not sure the card game thing holds much water anymore. How come on Destroyer Resurrected, they found this "great" original Ace solo???
That solo was most likely what was laid down for the demo. But perhaps when they went to the next stage of perfecting everything that’s where Ace didn’t show up.
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Yay!! Continued good health to you!!
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

JohnBergless wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm Ummmm newsflash: The brand is still together, Ace.
Fixed your post.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

The card game is probably a typical Gene lie.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm Again, I think Gene and Paul contributed to that. Blame is deserved all around.
Gene and Paul contributed to what? Ace being the person he is?
Forty Deuce
Banned

Post by Forty Deuce »

gene therapist wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 pm
Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm Again, I think Gene and Paul contributed to that. Blame is deserved all around.
Yes.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 pm
Yes.
They made him do drugs, declare bankruptcy (twice?) and grab the quick cash in exchange for the rights to his make-up design. OK.

Paul, Gene & Rachel are wrong in blaming Ace. Ace did nothing.
Forty Deuce
Banned

Post by Forty Deuce »

gene therapist wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 pm
Yes.
They made him do drugs, declare bankruptcy (twice?) and grab the quick cash in exchange for the rights to his make-up design. OK.

Paul, Gene & Rachel are wrong in blaming Ace. Ace did nothing.
I am talking about the reunion, but yes - they deserve a little blame too for the past. I clearly said that there is blame for all. I never said Ace did nothing.

Perhaps you should think about this for a moment before you respond.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Yes.
There are Ace apologists and then there is this! :lol:
Ok I’ll bite. How did Gene & Paul contribute to Ace’s decline during the Reunion era?
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm
:arrow: :mrgreen:
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Tears are falling... from laughing.

:lol: :lol: 8)
Forty Deuce
Banned

Post by Forty Deuce »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 pm
Yes.
Ok I’ll bite. How did Gene & Paul contribute to Ace’s decline during the Reunion era?
I am not an Ace apologist at all and again, I never said he doesn't deserve blame as well.

Think about it, before you automatically dismiss it. I will be back tomorrow to see how you did and hopefully you are able to concede that they are all to blame for the problems in the band.
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

They didn’t have to replace Ace, only to put back his original solo on Destroyer Resurrected.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 pm
I will be back tomorrow to see how you did
:lol:
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Forty Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 pm
Yes.
I am not an Ace apologist at all and again, I never said he doesn't deserve blame as well.

Think about it, before you automatically dismiss it. I will be back tomorrow to see how you did and hopefully you are able to concede that they are all to blame for the problems in the band.
Sorry, I’m not playing your game. You never said they were all to blame, you said they contributed to Ace’s downfall. Those two things are very different.

There’s only one person responsible for Ace’s situation. :ace:
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Yes.
They clearly forced him to drink heavily, take drugs and induce lethargy. FORCED him I tell you. It was a conspiracy./puts on tinfoilhat
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

elleneff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 am
Yes.
They clearly forced him to drink heavily, take drugs and induce lethargy. FORCED him I tell you. It was a conspiracy./puts on tinfoilhat
:lol:
The scary thing is, some fans actually believe this stuff. I’ve got no doubt Gene & Paul’s heavy work regime would put pressure on most, but to suggest they contributed to Ace falling off the wagon is complete nonsense.

Eric Carr 11 years, Bruce 12, Tommy 17, Eric Singer off and on for 24, all those guys have handled being in a band with a Gene & Paul for long periods without ending up falling by the wayside. It can’t be that bad.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Yes.
They also forced him to go to that card game...
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Pete2174 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am
Yes.
They also forced him to go to that card game...
And to crash the Delorean
And hook up with Rachel Gordon
And get fat
And write bad solo songs
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Bob Ezrin also made Ace wear that appalling wig and dyed goatee.

What have I learned from Ace from the decades? Nothing is ever Aces fault