Vinnie Creatures Interview

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Vinnie Creatures Interview

Post by mbrunn »

My latest Vinnie Vincent interview is now posted!

What famous female singer did Vinnie audition for just prior to starting to write with KISS?

Which songs did Vinnie play on the Creatures of the Night album?

Where was Vinnie and Gene when they wrote I Love It Loud?

When did Vinnie officially know he was going to be joining the band?

What did Vinnie really think of KISS before he joined?

What does Vinnie think of the mix and sound on the Creatures album?

When and where did KISS rehearse for the upcoming tour?

Which song did Vinnie record for the album that solidified his spot in the band?

What type of effect did the religious protest have on Vinnie?

Where was Vinnie while KISS recorded the I Love It Loud video?

and so much more!!!

The first 20-25 minutes Vinnie painted the picture of what he was up to prior to getting the call from KISS. Then we get into the details of the album cycle. I hope you enjoy the interview!!

Doose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Vinnie Creatures Interview

Post by Doose »

Not even 6 minutes into it, and profanity, ego ("Years from now people will say, 'Wow, I was with Vinnie Vincent'."), combative about the facts, etc. Hard to listen to, honestly. I think Mike was trying to keep it straight forward and honest, but Vinnie is a nutjob.
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Mike were you trying to keep a straight face at some of these answers?

I mean fair play for not letting him monologue too much.
Doose

Post by Doose »

elleneff wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 am Mike were you trying to keep a straight face at some of these answers?
lol Exactly
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

elleneff wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 am Mike were you trying to keep a straight face at some of these answers?

I wanted to let him go wherever he wanted to go with that opening and he dropped some cool info (I never knew he auditioned for Cher). Saying that, I expected that answer to be a little bit shorter. But, still cool to get some new / unknown info for me (and I’m guessing others).
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

mbrunn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 am

I wanted to let him go wherever he wanted to go with that opening and he dropped some cool info (I never knew he auditioned for Cher). Saying that, I expected that answer to be a little bit shorter. But, still cool to get some new / unknown info for me (and I’m guessing others).
Your questions and framing of questions and leading thread was spot on. As always.
He tends to rehearse his answers to the point of reciting the response.
Question. Did you have to submit the questions first?
gogol80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by gogol80 »

At the end of the day I'm glad Vinnie is here to tell the stories.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Thanks Mike. I'll check this out when I get home.
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

mbrunn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 am My latest Vinnie Vincent interview is now posted!

What famous female singer did Vinnie audition for just prior to starting to write with KISS?

Which song did Vinnie record for the album that solidified his spot in the band?

and so much more!!!

The first 20-25 minutes Vinnie painted the picture of what he was up to prior to getting the call from KISS. Then we get into the details of the album cycle. I hope you enjoy the interview!!

No questions about his A Nightmare on ELm Street part 4: The Dream Master experience :(

Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Thank you very much Mike & Vinnie! This was a nice long interview, I really enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to the next LIU interview! Please ask him about Gene's possible blood spitting in Lisbon '83.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

As happened (IMO only) with the road krew, he needs to be careful not to devalue any possible book.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Hats off to Mike for a great interview and filling in a lot of holes from the pre-KISS songwriting year through the end of the Creatures tour in Brazil.

Interesting to hear that he auditioned for Cher, how he met Adam Mitchell, how Adam introduced him to KISS, how Vinnie "hated" (strong words) KISS, their music, their singer and their guitarist prior to writing and playing with them, how Paul never liked Vinnie from the start nor wanted him in the band (even when he was in the band), that he doesn't take credit for the end of "Black Diamond" which went from just single notes to a Beck's Bolero-type ending, that Vinnie told Adam Mitchell it would be "easy" to write a KISS song when Adam talked about introducing them, that he was officially hired (received the contract) in September of 1982 even though Ace was still doing videos and promotion with them through December 1982, that Paul wanted an Ace-type player to replace Ace and didn't want Vinnie, that he first wrote with Gene, that they wrote "I Love It Loud" at Diana Ross' house, that he doesn't remember much about the Creatures tour/low attendance, that he doesn't like the production of Creatures, and that he felt the band was really tight by the time they did the shows in Brazil.

I think a VV book is becoming more and more irrelevant as he does these interviews. Vinnie said he doesn't remember a lot of details when Mike asked him some specifics, but we got the main brush strokes of his time before joining KISS, joining KISS and through Creatures.

Vinnie rambles on quite a bit, but Mike does a great job of trying to bring his focus back. I felt bad for Mike at the end when Vinnie was sort of bullying him into coming to the VD show with his wife, but Mike handled it well.

Overall, as a long time KISS fan, it was the best interview I've heard since Atlanta, but it also made me realize how there isn't much more to Vinnie's story other than his 18 mo. association with KISS. Bobby Rock did a great job of covering the VVI timeframe, and Mike did a great job covering this pre-KISS and Creatures period. Let's see if Mike can score the interview that takes it from Brazil through him being fired after the LIU tour.

Really nice job, Mike. I appreciated you approaching this interview more as a rock/KISS historian, rather than a fanboy letting him ramble (kind of like Mitch Lafon did).
Doose

Post by Doose »

Admin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am As happened (IMO only) with the road krew, he needs to be careful not to devalue any possible book.
I had similar sentiments. I think a potential book has been greatly devalued by these more in-depth interviews, especially when he admits to not remembering any more details.
Linderholm
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Linderholm »

Vinnie´s imitation of Gene sounds like Bernie Sanders! haha!
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Any info on the infamous cauldron episode?
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

I can't believe how little he remembers when he was suing Kiss over these songs, and he only released two solo albums. Didn't he say in interviews in the 80s that he liked Kiss? I believe in expos in the 90s he said he played on "Danger." Remember last year he was bashing Gene over the GSVE, but now he's back to saying good things about him.
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Doose wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm
Really nice job, Mike. I appreciated you approaching this interview more as a rock/KISS historian, rather than a fanboy letting him ramble (kind of like Mitch Lafon did).
Mitch is a pro, he knew exactly what he was doing. . and that was giving him enough rope...
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Doose wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm Interesting to hear that he auditioned for Cher, how he met Adam Mitchell, how Adam introduced him to KISS, how Vinnie "hated" (strong words) KISS, their music, their singer and their guitarist prior to writing and playing with them, how Paul never liked Vinnie from the start nor wanted him in the band (even when he was in the band), that he doesn't take credit for the end of "Black Diamond" which went from just single notes to a Beck's Bolero-type ending, that Vinnie told Adam Mitchell it would be "easy" to write a KISS song when Adam talked about introducing them, that he was officially hired (received the contract) in September of 1982 even though Ace was still doing videos and promotion with them through December 1982, that Paul wanted an Ace-type player to replace Ace and didn't want Vinnie, that he first wrote with Gene, that they wrote "I Love It Loud" at Diana Ross' house, that he doesn't remember much about the Creatures tour/low attendance, that he doesn't like the production of Creatures, and that he felt the band was really tight by the time they did the shows in Brazil.
Thanks for the summary! It's real hard for me to listen to Vinnie talk, so I prefer to read.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:19 am Thank you very much Mike & Vinnie! This was a nice long interview, I really enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to the next LIU interview! Please ask him about Gene's possible blood spitting in Lisbon '83.
1000%!!
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

gogol80 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:08 am At the end of the day I'm glad Vinnie is here to tell the stories.
👍 👌 👏 😎
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

mbrunn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 am My latest Vinnie Vincent interview is now posted!

and so much more!!!

Awesome--!!
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

just wanna say--- Mike‚ your voice sounds a little like the great Eric Carr.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

Andy Capp wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:13 pm just wanna say--- Mike‚ your voice sounds a little like the great Eric Carr.
I never got that even once in my lifetime before 2019. Now, you are like the 10th person to say that....lol. If only I had his talent. lol
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

mbrunn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Andy Capp wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:13 pm just wanna say--- Mike‚ your voice sounds a little like the great Eric Carr.
I never got that even once in my lifetime before 2019. Now, you are like the 10th person to say that....lol. If only I had his talent. lol
that’s awesome--! 😎
BagBoy
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by BagBoy »

Great Interview. I enjoy hearing all the minutia, but I hope he keeps some nuggets and can make a great book. There is a story to be told, and I would love to get a Vinnie autobiography to read.

Mike, if you get a chance to touch on it, would love to hear if Vinnie has an recollections of the Paul Stanley version of Back On The Streets in how it sounded compared to VVI and if it had a more Creatures of the Night feel.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Listening now.

I remember Vinnie said in a 1986 Rock Scene or CREEM interview that he saw KISS on the Mike Douglas show
and that he "loved the band and their music". He said they were the "type of band" he always wanted to be in.

Surprised to hear him say that he hated their vocalist, lead guitarist and songs (lol).

Thanks Mike. Good interview.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

BagBoy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm Great Interview. I enjoy hearing all the minutia, but I hope he keeps some nuggets and can make a great book. There is a story to be told, and I would love to get a Vinnie autobiography to read.

Mike, if you get a chance to touch on it, would love to hear if Vinnie has an recollections of the Paul Stanley version of Back On The Streets in how it sounded compared to VVI and if it had a more Creatures of the Night feel.
Thanks. Your comment makes me sad....lol. I had that on my list of questions to ask. I’ll work it in at some point if I do more of these.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

stutterer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm
Doose wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm Interesting to hear that he auditioned for Cher, how he met Adam Mitchell, how Adam introduced him to KISS, how Vinnie "hated" (strong words) KISS, their music, their singer and their guitarist prior to writing and playing with them, how Paul never liked Vinnie from the start nor wanted him in the band (even when he was in the band), that he doesn't take credit for the end of "Black Diamond" which went from just single notes to a Beck's Bolero-type ending, that Vinnie told Adam Mitchell it would be "easy" to write a KISS song when Adam talked about introducing them, that he was officially hired (received the contract) in September of 1982 even though Ace was still doing videos and promotion with them through December 1982, that Paul wanted an Ace-type player to replace Ace and didn't want Vinnie, that he first wrote with Gene, that they wrote "I Love It Loud" at Diana Ross' house, that he doesn't remember much about the Creatures tour/low attendance, that he doesn't like the production of Creatures, and that he felt the band was really tight by the time they did the shows in Brazil.
Thanks for the summary! It's real hard for me to listen to Vinnie talk, so I prefer to read.
Same here. Subject matter here is about as interesting as it gets, but I find it very difficult to listen to his rambling. I actually couldn't get through this one.
BagBoy

Post by BagBoy »

mbrunn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:50 pm
BagBoy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm Great Interview. I enjoy hearing all the minutia, but I hope he keeps some nuggets and can make a great book. There is a story to be told, and I would love to get a Vinnie autobiography to read.

Thanks. Your comment makes me sad....lol. I had that on my list of questions to ask. I’ll work it in at some point if I do more of these.
If Vinnie of course shares all he does of course I am game to hear it. :D I just don’t want to see potential for a book gone ya know? That said, I hope you can do more of these if anything a series on his albums.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Doose wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am As happened (IMO only) with the road krew, he needs to be careful not to devalue any possible book.
I had similar sentiments. I think a potential book has been greatly devalued by these more in-depth interviews, especially when he admits to not remembering any more details.
I think Vinnie remembers A LOT compared to some other Kiss members or ex-members. He could write an awesome book, but he would definitely need a very good editor.
criss75

Post by criss75 »

Quote: "Vinnie Vincent doesn't need the (KISS) Kruise"
That's ballsy.
criss75

Post by criss75 »

Queens, NY? The accent.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

criss75 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 am
Queens, NY? The accent.
Boston area, no?
criss75

Post by criss75 »

Eric Carr was from Queens, NY?
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

I don't mind the rambling, but it surprises me how little he remembers about the songs. Something like Not For The Innocent. Kiss never played it, so Gene hasn't played it since any more than Vinnie. Yet Gene can still play even the guitar riff, which he didn't play on the album I'm sure, and Vinnie says he didn't even remember the song existed. And the song titles (from the LIU album) Mike throws at him don't seem to ring that many bells.
Last edited by banks on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
SecretlyFrehley
Banned

Post by SecretlyFrehley »

criss75 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 am Quote: "Vinnie Vincent doesn't need the (KISS) Kruise"
That's ballsy.
He can’t even play a gig at the corner pub in front of ten people, let alone on a Kruise.

He should say VINNIE VINCENT (because you just know it’s all in capital letters in his own head as he’s saying it) ain’t good enough for the Kruise.
redfield
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by redfield »

banks wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 am I don't mind the rambling, but it surprises me how little he remembers about the songs. Something like Not For The Innocent. Kiss never played it, so Gene hasn't played it since any more than Vinnie. Yet Gene can still play even the guitar riff, which he didn't play on the album I'm sure, and Vinnie says he didn't even remember the song existed. And the song titles (from the LIU album) Mike throws at him don't seem to ring that many bells.

Yep, it was baffling at times…
Especially when you compare it to similar interviews with the likes of Bobby Rock, Hirsch Gardner, Adam Mitchell or Mark Slaughter... :shock:
They could remember even the most detailed Facts + situations from back then when it was basically just a short episode in a long musical Career for them !

Vinnie on the other hand had basically ZILCH going on for the past 30+ years and yet he cant remember key Moments from that "ONE magical period" in his Life ??? Claiming to having "forgotten about most Creatures Songs" since he didnt listen to the Album since the Release ??? like REALLLY Vinnie ?? come ON now :cyclops:

Especially after hearing these past interviews with Mike and Mitch Lafon and his audible mannerisms while talking - I just cant shake the impression, that he tends to make shit up on the go, and when he feels too lazy for coming up with another "fairy tale" ... he just pulls a convenient "I dont remember right now"
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

My guess is that Vinnie remembers all those songs very well, but maybe it is just cooler to say that he doesn't remember or care about them. He has a very good memory. He even seems to remember his fans names even though he has seen them only once before.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

I was thinking that too actually. But then again there is scope to go into far more detail in some of these areas.. Its almost like a teaser.. But I respect Vinnie for giving out a lot of information in some of these interviews and at Atlanta.. He'd need to carefully order and catalogue his thoughts for any book though... He potentially has a good one in him......
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm Listening now.

I remember Vinnie said in a 1986 Rock Scene or CREEM interview that he saw KISS on the Mike Douglas show
and that he "loved the band and their music". He said they were the "type of band" he always wanted to be in.

Surprised to hear him say that he hated their vocalist, lead guitarist and songs (lol).

Thanks Mike. Good interview.
Yes good interview Mike!

Vinnie is/ was a working musician then. You go where the work is - where the gigs are.. And he was basically G&P's age, as was Eric Carr; and with KISS of course being more a teenage thing... I'd have been surprised if he actually was a fan! Eric Carr wasnt a fan prior to joining either...

Vinnie did quantify it later in the interview; where he said he learnt to really like some of the songs in their back catalogue and could see where they were coming from... And could therefore start to write more in that style and ended up collaborating really well with Gene and Paul.. They could have had a truly great run.....
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

criss75 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 am Eric Carr was from Queens, NY?
Sorry - I meant Mike Brunn (I think) is from Boston. He has a Joe Perry thing going with his voice!
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 am
Sorry - I meant Mike Brunn (I think) is from Boston. He has a Joe Perry thing going with his voice!
I’ve spent about 3 days total in my life in Boston. I’ve lived in NY my entire life. Saying that, I’ve had people say I sound like I come from Boston for about 30 years. I remember the first time someone told me that very clearly I remember thinking, “what a dope”....lol.
EggFlip
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by EggFlip »

Yes
Kisscandinavia wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:33 am My guess is that Vinnie remembers all those songs very well, but maybe it is just cooler to say that he doesn't remember or care about them. He has a very good memory. He even seems to remember his fans names even though he has seen them only once before.
gogol80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by gogol80 »

mbrunn wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:26 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 am
I’ve spent about 3 days total in my life in Boston. I’ve lived in NY my entire life. Saying that, I’ve had people say I sound like I come from Boston for about 30 years. I remember the first time someone told me that very clearly I remember thinking, “what a dope”....lol.
I assumed you were from the Boston area as well
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Yeah, kinda sounds like Carr and Cusano catching up on old times over the phone... 8)

banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

sneed78 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 am

Yeah, kinda sounds like Carr and Cusano catching up on old times over the phone... 8)

:lol:
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Cool gif, what footage is that from?
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Mike, has Vinnie offered you a discount for the Valentine's Bash?
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:33 am My guess is that Vinnie remembers all those songs very well, but maybe it is just cooler to say that he doesn't remember or care about them. He has a very good memory. He even seems to remember his fans names even though he has seen them only once before.
Hell, he banned people from coming to the Atlanta Expo because they said something bad about him on some internet forum in 1997
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

Is there really a profitable book from Vinnie Vincent? Sure it would be interesting for diehards, but outside of that zero music/general public would be interested.