Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
No, but they are more than a blip on the radar and have a career. You know, like Bernie Taupin, Desmond Child, etc.
User avatar
Sssnakester
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4405
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Sssnakester »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
Sssnakester wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 am
Doose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 am Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Child
How is it a "myth"? Creatures and Lick It Up are proof, at least in a lot of fans eyes and ears.
LIU is proof of how boring his songwriting tends to be.
Perhaps to you but I'm willing to bet there are many KISS fans that would disagree.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by TheSpoiler »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
No, but they are morer than a blip on the radar and have a career. You know, like Bernie Taupin, Desmond Child, etc.
Would you describe Simmons and Stanley as songwriters?
User avatar
Doose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3288
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Doose »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
Usually, yes. Lennon/McCartney. Elton John/Bernie Taupin. Freddie Mercury. Tyler/Perry. Even Simmons and Stanley.

And you know why? Because sales mean their songs touched the masses and meant something.

That's why Vinnie's music has always failed and never sold.
User avatar
70skid
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 am

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by 70skid »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
Absolutely not. An example is Brian May. In my opinion, Brian is one of the greatest songwriters in rock history but some of his best songs that are the most loved by Queen fans weren't necessarily the best sellers / highest charting. Songs like 'Now I'm Here' , 'Who Wants To Live Forever' , 'The Hero', 'Flash' ......I could go on and on. However, the strength of those songs, and the songwriting team of Queen in general, made their records strong and their live shows stronger......and virtually filler free.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by TheSpoiler »

Doose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
Usually, yes. Lennon/McCartney. Elton John/Bernie Taupin. Freddie Mercury. Tyler/Perry. Even Simmons and Stanley.

And you know why? Because sales mean their songs touched the masses and meant something.

That's why Vinnie's music has always failed and never sold.
So Kanye is a great songwriter?
User avatar
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19627
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by battra »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 am
Doose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
Usually, yes. Lennon/McCartney. Elton John/Bernie Taupin. Freddie Mercury. Tyler/Perry. Even Simmons and Stanley.

And you know why? Because sales mean their songs touched the masses and meant something.

That's why Vinnie's music has always failed and never sold.
So Kanye is a great songwriter?
You know, I'll say it, yes.

Gold Digger, Stronger, Good Morning...those are amazing songs.

But to answer your question...I'd ask to clarify...how do you determine best?

Art is so subjective....
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 am
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
No, but they are morer than a blip on the radar and have a career. You know, like Bernie Taupin, Desmond Child, etc.
Would you describe Simmons and Stanley as songwriters?
Simmons not so much, but Stanley has been able to at least write some pretty cool songs over the years. Simmons is more of an experimenter, and basically just tosses ideas around and tries making them work.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

Sssnakester wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 am Perhaps to you but I'm willing to bet there are many KISS fans that would disagree.
I'm sorry, but a lot of that album is out and out filler.
User avatar
mamado
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: URANUS

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by mamado »

Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRESM6U2_wc
Gosh... This is incredibly annoying!!! :? :? :? :flower:
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

mamado wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRESM6U2_wc
Gosh... This is incredibly annoying!!! :? :? :? :flower:
Yeah, it is. For one, his note diarrhea is all over the song, and for another, the vocals sound horrid. Great songwriter, that one. :lol:
User avatar
mamado
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: URANUS

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by mamado »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm
mamado wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRESM6U2_wc
Gosh... This is incredibly annoying!!! :? :? :? :flower:
Yeah, it is. For one, his note diarrhea is all over the song, and for another, the vocals sound horrid. Great songwriter, that one. :lol:
Oh, yeah... "NUKE HIM!!!", I'd tell ya... :) :) :) :flower:
User avatar
Curveboy
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8790
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 am

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Curveboy »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm
Yeah, it is. For one, his note diarrhea is all over the song, and for another, the vocals sound horrid. Great songwriter, that one. :lol:
Better than anything Ace has come up with in 40 years.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 pm
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm
Yeah, it is. For one, his note diarrhea is all over the song, and for another, the vocals sound horrid. Great songwriter, that one. :lol:
Better than anything Ace has come up with in 40 years.
:lol:

To quote the Vancome Lady from MadTV, "Chaaa, ya know what? Nuh uh."
User avatar
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Mackemkiss »

Cock chafer is certainly something
User avatar
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Rip Rokken »

Sssnakester wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:53 am I know it's an unpopular view around here but I really love 'All Systems Go'. Of course his contributions to KISS were awesome and I really dig the Egyptian Warrior character.
ASG is awesome!
User avatar
rocksteady77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by rocksteady77 »

Let's have some perspective here... http://www.vh1.com/news/45881/underrate ... uitarists/ CC beats out ole VV here. I love VV's work with KISS but he's no God, nor by any accounts is he a peach.
tommy d
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 11:41 am

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by tommy d »

TheSphinx wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm Vinnie Saving KISS

That is Vinnie's finest moment.

Love this VH1 article from 2015. Although, he should have been named the #1 most under-rated hair metal guitarist, they did put him at #2.




#2 Vinnie Vincent – Kiss/Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. No two ways about it.

As Kiss’s record sales and concert attendance dwindled in the early ’80s, former Vincent John Cusano started as a session player on the 1982 Creatures of the Nightalbum before strapping on the requisite platform boots and painting his face to become the “Ankh Warrior” as departing guitar lord Ace Frehley’s official replacement.

The following year, Kiss famously ditched their makeup, emboldened not just by Vinnie’s daredevil guitar playing, but also by his absolutely top-tier skills as a songwriter. Just as Kiss has adapted to late-’70s disco with “I Was Made for Loving You,” Vinnie Vincent multiple talents would mega-successfully launch the band into the hair metal ’80s.

Vinnie co-wrote eight of the ten songs on 1983’s transitional smash Lick It Up, including the instant-classic title track, which remains one of Kiss’s true signature anthems, and the full-blown rump-stomper “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose.”

Alas, Vinnie’s Kiss tenure proved short-lived. Business tensions and some onstage antics such as an unexpected, off-the-wall guitar solo at a March 1984 Quebec gig at the end of the Lick It Up tour prompted Kiss to fire Vinnie immediately. He went on to form the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, which put out two albums that have become fan favorites: a self-titled debut in 1986, and All Systems Go, two years later.

In the years since, Vinnie Vincent has become a mysterious figure and even the object of cult devotion. Rolling Stone even ran a 2014 article titled “The Long Kiss Goodbye: The Search for Vinnie Vincent.”

Vinnie has certainly earned every bit of this admiration and fascination.



The only thing I would take issue with is Vinnie wasn't fired. Vinnie went AWOL. KISS was begging him to return. Gene even got Diana Ross to call him. Vinnie refused to come back.
at least you admit he was a hair metal guy instead of a shredder because he is nowhere near shredder status.
User avatar
LoveGun77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5988
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago,IL

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LoveGun77 »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm
mamado wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRESM6U2_wc
Gosh... This is incredibly annoying!!! :? :? :? :flower:
Yeah, it is. For one, his note diarrhea is all over the song, and for another, the vocals sound horrid. Great songwriter, that one. :lol:

For me,this was borderline unlistenable,mostly because AGAIN....the guitar is so out of place,so over the top that it really seems out of place. It has no feeling,no emotion,no anything.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

Borderline?
User avatar
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7658
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by steve »

I believe Vinnie's finest moments were as a co-writer for KISS and that's the only capacity they should have engaged him in. The first and only choice for Frehley's replacement ought to have been Bruce.

Left to his own devices, VV has no discipline or restraint. I feel there are some good ideas on the first Invasion album (less so on ASG, which I don't like), but he ruins them by soloing over the top of them in a way that has nothing to do with the riff going on underneath.
User avatar
LoveGun77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5988
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago,IL

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LoveGun77 »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm Borderline?
:lol: …That's a good point,because I turned it off pretty much immediately.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Leader of the Misery Brigade

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by LordThurisaz »

steve wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm I believe Vinnie's finest moments were as a co-writer for KISS and that's the only capacity they should have engaged him in. The first and only choice for Frehley's replacement ought to have been Bruce.

Left to his own devices, VV has no discipline or restraint. I feel there are some good ideas on the first Invasion album (less so on ASG, which I don't like), but he ruins them by soloing over the top of them in a way that has nothing to do with the riff going on underneath.
It is because he believes you can play anything over any chord. Marty Friedman might shy away from getting too in depth with theory when he dissects his playing, but his style is SO much more engaging, melodic, and impressive no matter what speed he plays at.
User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Island Of Truth & Facts

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by TheSphinx »

tommy d wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:39 pm
TheSphinx wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm Vinnie Saving KISS

That is Vinnie's finest moment.

Love this VH1 article from 2015. Although, he should have been named the #1 most under-rated hair metal guitarist, they did put him at #2.




#2 Vinnie Vincent – Kiss/Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. No two ways about it.

As Kiss’s record sales and concert attendance dwindled in the early ’80s, former Vincent John Cusano started as a session player on the 1982 Creatures of the Nightalbum before strapping on the requisite platform boots and painting his face to become the “Ankh Warrior” as departing guitar lord Ace Frehley’s official replacement.

The following year, Kiss famously ditched their makeup, emboldened not just by Vinnie’s daredevil guitar playing, but also by his absolutely top-tier skills as a songwriter. Just as Kiss has adapted to late-’70s disco with “I Was Made for Loving You,” Vinnie Vincent multiple talents would mega-successfully launch the band into the hair metal ’80s.

Vinnie co-wrote eight of the ten songs on 1983’s transitional smash Lick It Up, including the instant-classic title track, which remains one of Kiss’s true signature anthems, and the full-blown rump-stomper “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose.”

Alas, Vinnie’s Kiss tenure proved short-lived. Business tensions and some onstage antics such as an unexpected, off-the-wall guitar solo at a March 1984 Quebec gig at the end of the Lick It Up tour prompted Kiss to fire Vinnie immediately. He went on to form the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, which put out two albums that have become fan favorites: a self-titled debut in 1986, and All Systems Go, two years later.

In the years since, Vinnie Vincent has become a mysterious figure and even the object of cult devotion. Rolling Stone even ran a 2014 article titled “The Long Kiss Goodbye: The Search for Vinnie Vincent.”

Vinnie has certainly earned every bit of this admiration and fascination.



The only thing I would take issue with is Vinnie wasn't fired. Vinnie went AWOL. KISS was begging him to return. Gene even got Diana Ross to call him. Vinnie refused to come back.
at least you admit he was a hair metal guy instead of a shredder because he is nowhere near shredder status.
METAL-N-ROLL was the best description of the new TURBO CHARGED KISS
Post Reply