Animalize turns 35 today....

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KrazySwede
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Animalize turns 35 today....

Post by KrazySwede »

Time flies…..pretty sure I bought that album along with Maidens 'Powerslave' and a U2-single 'Pride'.....in Helsingborg....
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Animalize turns 35 today....

Post by wezze »

I bought it with Asylum and Stay Hungry. On cassette.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Time sure did. In retrospect, hard to feel good about '1984' with all that terrifying news about what was really happening to some people. And would only become even more terrifying before long. Certainly one KISS album that doesn't hold-up for me these days (save "Heaven's on Fire" - perfect); although, I thought it was 'good enough' when released. I don't care for Mark St. John's solos & the unusual/contrived faster pace of some of the songs. Plus, Gene's contributions really come-off as lackluster ...likely a result of his then new hobby in Hollywood. I guess one KISS album that didn't age well overall; as far as I'm concerned.

I was probably more excited about bands like Van Halen or even Duran Duran at that given moment; nonetheless, still pleased enough KISS made it thought the storm. However, it surely wasn't the 1970s, anymore.

:scratch:
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

wezze wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 am I bought it with Asylum and Stay Hungry. On cassette.
Mid80s - big years for KISS....and metal.
jkiss wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:09 am Time sure did. In retrospect, hard to feel good about '1984' with all that terrifying news about what was really happening to some people. And would only become even more terrifying before long. Certainly one KISS album that doesn't hold-up for me these days (save "Heaven's on Fire" - perfect); although, I thought it was 'good enough' when released. I don't care for Mark St. John's solos & the unusual/contrived faster pace of some of the songs. Plus, Gene's contributions really come-off as lackluster ...likely a result of his then new hobby in Hollywood. I guess one KISS album that didn't age well overall; as far as I'm concerned.

I was probably more excited about bands like Van Halen or even Duran Duran at that given moment; nonetheless, still pleased enough KISS made it thought the storm. However, it surely wasn't the 1970s, anymore.

Thinks it still delivers some great energy……..one of a handful of KISS-albums that gets played regularly….
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

KrazySwede wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am Thinks it still delivers some great energy……..one of a handful of KISS-albums that gets played regularly….
I absolutely can understand & respect that; as I once had a far higher overall opinion of the album myself. Maybe for me - "I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)" would be an example of one that easily came-off having some real energy to it.

I almost wonder what that particular studio track would've sounded like with Bruce on lead; as a 'what if'.

FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Animalize songs I still enjoy:

I've Had Enough
Heaven's on Fire
Lonely is the Hunter
Under the Gun
Thrills in the Night
& While the City Sleeps

Only a few have become unlistenable, so that's not too bad.
I had a lot of fun in 1984 and this album reminds me of good times. 8)
vdojaq
Banned

Post by vdojaq »

When I need a solid lift me up to change my mood, Burn Bitch Burn turned up to 11 is still my go to song.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Happy birthday!! Mark St John's contributions to the record are noteworthy -- he played with style and attitude and he just made Animalize sound like something fun. Can't say enough good things about that.
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

:salut:
KlevelandKissFreak
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KlevelandKissFreak »

I still listen to it regularly and have bought it 3 times.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Got it 35 yrs ago on the day of release.

I’d already heard “heavens on fire”: a catchy yet dumbed down single like the previous “lick it up”.

Loved the first track, but it was downhill after that.
I did not enjoy the songs/writing like on the previous album. That’s when I realized how important Vinnie really was to the “new” KISS.

With the acceptation of a couple solos, I was not too excited about MSJ.

I thought the production sounded thin & did not have the crunch of the previous LP. Most of Gene’s songs were subpar.

I was actually sad because I wanted to like the album more than I did.

TRIVIA:
“While The City Sleeps” is the title of a silent movie starring Gene’s idol: Lon Chaney Sr., The Man of 1,000 Faces.
Last edited by caligari on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Thrills in the Night
DOUBLE DYNASTY
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

Great, great album. This, along with Asylum were perhaps my favorite KISS albums of the 80's. I had both of them on cassette.
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

KlevelandKissFreak wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am I still listen to it regularly and have bought it 3 times.
Come to think of it, so have I. Cassette, CD and the remastered version.
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

vdojaq wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:28 am When I need a solid lift me up to change my mood, Burn Bitch Burn turned up to 11 is still my go to song.
Maybe you should get a new girlfriend...
battra
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

When I heard Heaven's On Fire back in the day...it was immediately one of my favorite songs.

When I got it on CD years later, it was the first time I'd heard the whole album front to back and hated it.

I wonder how I'd feel if I'd heard it all in context.
vdojaq
Banned

Post by vdojaq »

wezze wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am
vdojaq wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:28 am When I need a solid lift me up to change my mood, Burn Bitch Burn turned up to 11 is still my go to song.
C'mon, that is such a fun Gene song! All the pure schlock and innuendo in those lyrics? My wife just shakes her head and laughs when I blast that.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Great album!!!! Happy 35th Birthday Animalize!!!!
mamado

Post by mamado »

The beginning of the end for this fella here. South & sour it went... But, hey... What do I know, anyway??? :| :| :| :flower:

Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Surprisingly :roll: KISS Alive Forever: The Book on Facebook: "KISS's Animalize WAS NOT released on this day in 1984. It was delayed until September 17, 1984 due to the fact that PolyGram felt the album needed to be remixed prior to release. September 13 had been the scheduled release date but the remix caused a delay of four days."
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

vdojaq wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am
C'mon, that is such a fun Gene song! All the pure schlock and innuendo in those lyrics? My wife just shakes her head and laughs when I blast that.
JeAh, silly but fun. The least bad Gene song on that album.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 pm Surprisingly :roll: KISS Alive Forever: The Book on Facebook: "KISS's Animalize WAS NOT released on this day in 1984. It was delayed until September 17, 1984 due to the fact that PolyGram felt the album needed to be remixed prior to release. September 13 had been the scheduled release date but the remix caused a delay of four days."
Danger of relying on wiki too much….thx for the info.....

#willbebackonTuesday
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

Animalize songs I play ALOT-- :

I've Had Enough (into the fire)
Burn Bitch Burn
Lonely is The Hunter
Under The Gun
Thrills in The Night
While The City Sleeps

👏
acevog75
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by acevog75 »

I got Animalize and The Last in Line for Christmas.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 am Happy birthday!! Mark St John's contributions to the record are noteworthy -- he played with style and attitude and he just made Animalize sound like something fun. Can't say enough good things about that.
Same. I enjoy the entire album, which isn't true of the rest of the 80s output once they took the makeup off. Asylum is close, but one or two songs needed some more work on them.
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

jkiss wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:09 am Time sure did. In retrospect, hard to feel good about '1984' with all that terrifying news about what was really happening to some people. And would only become even more terrifying before long. Certainly one KISS album that doesn't hold-up for me these days (save "Heaven's on Fire" - perfect); although, I thought it was 'good enough' when released. I don't care for Mark St. John's solos & the unusual/contrived faster pace of some of the songs. Plus, Gene's contributions really come-off as lackluster ...likely a result of his then new hobby in Hollywood. I guess one KISS album that didn't age well overall; as far as I'm concerned.

Yep... there was so much promise and people expected it to be another great album after how good COTN & LIU were. But... Animalize was terribly weak. "Heavens On Fire" and "Thrills In The Night" were good. But the majority of the album was just weak. The Gene songs were complete filler.

Great Thread On How Great Animalize Could Have Been:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131202
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

TheSphinx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Yep... there was so much promise and people expected it to be another great album after how good COTN & LIU were. But... Animalize was terribly weak. "Heavens On Fire" and "Thrills In The Night" were good. But the majority of the album was just weak. The Gene songs were complete filler.

If Animalize had featured the great Vinnie Vincent‚ it would have been just as great as Creatures/Lick it Up‚ or maybe even better.
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

KrazySwede wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm Danger of relying on wiki too much….thx for the info.....
KISS official book Behind The Mask lists it as Sept 13th
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Back then I was in the habit of buying new KISS LPs on the day of release, excitedly putting them on the turntable expecting to love them and Animalize was the first time I thought 'hmmm, this isn't so great'. I was in denial for a bit, trying to get into songs like 'Under The Gun' and basically all of side 2 but eventually giving up. I really loved 'Heaven's On Fire' (which blew my mind as the first song I heard from the album, having been released as a single already) and liked 'Get All You Can Take' and 'Lonely Is The Hunter' (which reminded me of vintage KISS) but the rest... nah. I did dig their image on that album and the show I saw on that tour was great (though Bruce wasn't yet really into his stride as a member of the band) but for me 'Animalize' marked the beginning of the end of my love affair with KISS. I think they just stopped being unique on that album.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I remember when this was coming out, in one of the teenybopper metal magazines Paul said "this album has more balls than the World Series"

The Detroit Tigers were on a tear that year & ended up winning the World Series. I always think of that quote from Paul when I think of the 1984 Tigers

Great album, I love it! I also love the Animalize Live Uncensored VHS - I was there!
ludzil

Post by ludzil »

I know it’s considered by many one of the weakest Kiss albums among the catalog but I think it’s a great album.

Underrated album.
LadySpace84
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by LadySpace84 »

Love it!
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Not one of my absolute favorites, but It’s very good considering how haphazardly it was put together.

Favorite song: WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS !
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

acevog75 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:06 pm I got Animalize and The Last in Line for Christmas.
COOL!
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

It was cool to see the videos get play on MTV and The USA Network's "metal' shows.
I remember seeing the world premiere of "H.O.F" on MTV. I thought Gene looked much better.

Fall 1984 heavily played discs at the parties..

KISS - Animalize
RATT - Out Of The Cellar
Prince - Purple Rain
VH - 1984
DIO - Last In Line
Metallica - RTL
Dokken - Tooth And Nail
Scorps - Love At First Sting
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

Dreadful album. ‘I’ve Had Enough’ uses the same riff template as ‘Exciter’, ‘Creatures Of The Night’ and ‘The Oath’, but is undoubtedly the weakest of the bunch. And the disco 16ths on the high-hats merely drive it into comedic territory.

Gene’s tunes may have been tossed off in a spare 10 minutes before he had to dash to his Winnebago, but at least they’re more honest than Paul’s radio-hit-by-numbers excursions.

The American import of this album was available for £19.99 in HMV a few days before the UK release. I studied the back and front covers for an age trying to make up my mind and eventually concluded, “Nah...” Everything about it was lacklustre. I saved a stack of mon£y but was disappointed anyway.

Thus began the downward spiral of abject mediocrity. It’s great that Paul is accepting responsibility for its offensive averageness.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

I enjoy BBB too. Now wezze...you shouldn’t talk with your love for “Fits like a glove”. Lol
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

Awesome album when it comes to Paul songs. If Gene would have matched Paul's writing on the album it would have been their best release in the 80's. Sadly Gene just brought shit to the table.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

TheSphinx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Sure, I believe the chances of the album being better had Vinnie stayed on-board were good; especially, when it came to Gene's contributions, but even overall. Anyway, neither Vinnie or Mark were going to ever be happy in KISS for very long. Just wasn't meant to be.

And to clarify what 'terrifying news' concerning '1984' was exactly from my previous posting (considering I was so vague) ...I meant the announcement of HIV/AIDS & the world as we knew it was over.

:(
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

69th_B1izard wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:29 am
I enjoy BBB too. Now wezze...you shouldn’t talk with your love for “Fits like a glove”. Lol
That’s what might've happened if someone screwed Gene without him using a condom around then, “Oh-no! My puddy is burning!" (cue BBB chorus).

…eww-woo-woo-woo! :oops:

:)
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

jkiss wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 pm And to clarify what 'terrifying news' concerning '1984' was exactly from my previous posting (considering I was so vague) ...I meant the announcement of HIV/AIDS & the world as we knew it was over.

I think Paul's songs would have been VASTLY BETTER TOO. They thought so little of the songs off ANIMALIZE...only one song off it was played at least 45% on the ASYLUM tour. JUST ONE SONG! That shows you how little they thought of that album.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

TheSphinx wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 am
jkiss wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 pm Sure, I believe the chances of the album being better had Vinnie stayed on-board were good; especially, when it came to Gene's contributions, even overall. Anyway, neither Vinnie or Mark were going to ever be happy in KISS for very long. Just wasn't meant to be.

And to clarify what 'terrifying news' concerning '1984' was exactly from my previous posting (considering I was so vague) ...I meant the announcement of HIV/AIDS & the world as we knew it was over.

I think Paul's songs would have been VASTLY BETTER TOO. They thought so little of the songs off ANIMALIZE...only one song off it was played at least 45% on the ASYLUM tour. JUST ONE SONG! That shows you how little they thought of that album.
I agree, I think he could've been a great help to both Paul & Gene on "Animalize". However, providing they were actually getting along during recordings; particularly, Paul & Vinnie. It sounds to me, it didn't take much for Paul to get bent out of shape with the hired guns. And even from what I recently read of Mark's personal experience ...him & Gene sounded pretty militant, overall (from his descriptions). Mark was an employee ...nothing more. I can't imagine Vinnie would've fared very much better in that type of situation, either; as it appears he didn't (nor signed a contract). Although, I'm likely not completely aware of all the details known from Vinnie's own recollection of his time with KISS.

I almost think that one way or another Bruce was 'destined' to fill that position, eventually (even had Vinnie done one more album). He was simply the only guy that could get along with them enough to both sides liking. And Paul was one of his brother's best buddies at the time, etc. Bruce had far more going for him relationship-wise; especially with Paul when boarding KISS.

Last edited by jkiss on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ObiWanFrehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ObiWanFrehley »

If they did indeed leave Mark alone in the studio at first, they may have hoped he could have crafted some songs the way VV did, and Gene and Paul could just make minor additions and put their name as a co-write. When it was apparent Mark wasn't a songwriter, or if he was writing songs that didn't sound like KISS, then Paul decided to micro manage. I don't think Gene cared since he was clearly phoning it in.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

Was never a huge fan of the album. It has its moments but overall I prefer Lick it Up, Crazy Nights, Revenge, and Asylum over it during the non make up years. I do like it more than HITS though...
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

ObiWanFrehley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm If they did indeed leave Mark alone in the studio at first, they may have hoped he could have crafted some songs the way VV did, and Gene and Paul could just make minor additions and put their name as a co-write. When it was apparent Mark wasn't a songwriter, or if he was writing songs that didn't sound like KISS, then Paul decided to micro manage. I don't think Gene cared since he was clearly phoning it in.
Sure, that could be true ...perhaps Mark wasn't nearly as capable of producing what Paul's idea of KISS-worthy material was at the moment. A bit hard to say why Mark was in the studio alone & whether or not he was supposed to be doing anything at all, on studio time. It a bit more detail & clarification is needed; unfortunately, Mark obviously can't ever elaborate further.

:?:
ObiWanFrehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ObiWanFrehley »

Yeah I don't know if I truly believe Mark was initially left in the studio with no direction from either Paul or Gene, especially being a new member. Plus studio time is expensive, just wasting time in the studio seems asinine, and not something Gene or Paul would do.
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

ObiWanFrehley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:32 pm Yeah I don't know if I truly believe Mark was initially left in the studio with no direction from either Paul or Gene, especially being a new member. Plus studio time is expensive, just wasting time in the studio seems asinine, and not something Gene or Paul would do.
What was studio time back then? $250 an hour or so? Then paying an engineer etc....

Sure makes ya wonder
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

The album never grew well for me.
And the problem were the Gene songs. They aren't bad but somehow they didn't stuck with me.
Anyways, happy anniversary Animalize :)
ObiWanFrehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ObiWanFrehley »

TheSphinx wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am
ObiWanFrehley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:32 pm Yeah I don't know if I truly believe Mark was initially left in the studio with no direction from either Paul or Gene, especially being a new member. Plus studio time is expensive, just wasting time in the studio seems asinine, and not something Gene or Paul would do.
What was studio time back then? $250 an hour or so? Then paying an engineer etc....

Sure makes ya wonder
Plus Gene and Paul were in separate studios, Mark would drive to wherever he was needed.
brianj1974
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by brianj1974 »

Best Paul studio effort since Destroyer. Even with Gene being MIA, still a damn solid album. Liked how the band sounded on tour for this album.