Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mad Dog
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by Mad Dog »

Vinnie's finest moment was during the solo of Exciter. Best solo of the album.
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:13 pm
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am
Tito wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 pm Why not just answer the question of the topic at hand instead of being a nuisance?
Too many finest moments for me to mention if I went song by song. Album-wise, I agree with you though I love ASG. And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
You know he played to a recorded tape at the birthday bash.
You’re definitely Category 3... :lol: And with that, back to my studies for a while.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 am
bassmansteiny wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 am
Tito wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 am
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
All the doubts? He hasn't in fact done anything of the sort. You see, people would actually need to see and hear it first.
Agreed... and we did. Then we learned what the Apostles went through, lol. But it’s well worth it.
With all due respect, not even close to what the Apostles went through. 🙂
In message board world, similar, lol. Rejected, crucified, beheaded, etc. just for having good news, lol. But of course not physically or mentally the same. It was just a silly metaphor.

It would be interesting to see a thread asking which KISS members are going to Heaven vs. Hell, though. I know Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven. I’m not sure about the other guys, or any “fans” who keep griping about ancient history (Matthew 6:15).
Please don't insult Christianity, the Apostles and Christians by comparing Vinnie's trials to what they went through. I can't believe you actually went in this direction, which leads me to believe Vinnie's feels he's been prosecuted like the Apostles were.

You also don't want to become the judge on who you think will be going to heaven or hell. That's definitely not up to you or Vinnie to decide. it's also not as easy as saying "Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven." It's not that easy for anyone just to say it or say "I'm a Christian and I'm going to heaven".
misterhand80

Post by misterhand80 »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 pmPlease don't insult Christianity, the Apostles and Christians by comparing Vinnie's trials to what they went through. I can't believe you actually went in this direction, which leads me to believe Vinnie's feels he's been prosecuted like the Apostles were.
Gene (and Paul) have said the religion they believe in is KISStianity. That equates to mocking religion.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 am
bassmansteiny wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 am
Tito wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 am
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
All the doubts? He hasn't in fact done anything of the sort. You see, people would actually need to see and hear it first.
Agreed... and we did. Then we learned what the Apostles went through, lol. But it’s well worth it.
With all due respect, not even close to what the Apostles went through. 🙂
In message board world, similar, lol. Rejected, crucified, beheaded, etc. just for having good news, lol. But of course not physically or mentally the same. It was just a silly metaphor.

It would be interesting to see a thread asking which KISS members are going to Heaven vs. Hell, though. I know Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven. I’m not sure about the other guys, or any “fans” who keep griping about ancient history (Matthew 6:15).
Please don't insult Christianity, the Apostles and Christians by comparing Vinnie's trials to what they went through. I can't believe you actually went in this direction, which leads me to believe Vinnie's feels he's been prosecuted like the Apostles were.

You also don't want to become the judge on who you think will be going to heaven or hell. That's definitely not up to you or Vinnie to decide. it's also not as easy as saying "Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven." It's not that easy for anyone just to say it or say "I'm a Christian and I'm going to heaven".
Everyone...

How many times does it have to be said:

NO RELIGION

Your beliefs have zero to do with rock 'n' roll discussion.
Lofton23rdSt
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Tito wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 pm Why not just answer the question of the topic at hand instead of being a nuisance?
Too many finest moments for me to mention if I went song by song. Album-wise, I agree with you though I love ASG. And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
Rip said in the Mike Brunn interview that people thought a cd was playing when they were in the lobby. Playing live doesn't sound like a cd.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

How do you know this?
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

It's been suggested as a theory.

Also the 24 B-Day guest said they thought the playing was coming from a CD.
Doose

Post by Doose »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm It's been suggested as a theory.

As I've asked before - Who was Vinnie's guitar tech? Pictures of the stage? Pictures of his rig? Pictures with the guitar tech? Pictures of the guitar on stage?

I think it's complete bullshit that he played at the bash.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Doose wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 pm

As I've asked before - Who was Vinnie's guitar tech? Pictures of the stage? Pictures of his rig? Pictures with the guitar tech? Pictures of the guitar on stage?

I think Vinnie was the guitar tech since he also made ALL THE FOOD.
highvoltage1969
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by highvoltage1969 »

Doose wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 pm

On the balance of probability I agree with you.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

To my ears, his absolute finest moment. Every time I hear these Warrior demos (especially this tune) it reminds me what a total shame it was that Vinnie didn’t take the Billy Squier approach (minus flash dancing on a bed) and sing his own tunes:

tommy d
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by tommy d »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:36 pm Los Angeles 1983 Creatures of the Night Bootleg, Universal Amphitheater.

Some staggering playing from VV here, especially during his solo spot (mindless noise my ass).

Whatever people may say about him, this guy could pick a banjo.

Here it is:

that solo takes me back to the 80's and going to guitar center on the weekends.
Doose

Post by Doose »

This Vinnie talks sounds like that 50 year old guy who works at a gas station and was the star quarterback in high school, and if he had just gotten that one last touchdown to win the big game his entire life would be different.

No. It wouldn't have been.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

I know I've said it before, but I'm just such a fan of the Lick It Up record, that it's difficult for me to not appreciate him as the great guitarist and lyricist he once was. Especially when compared to the records that came before it, Vinnie's playing style is like a breath of fresh air. And for all of his many sins, some of them quite egregious, actually, among the worst of them was squandering his talent later and for decades since. Before any of that, though, there were some fine moments, especially whenever he'd shredd!
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by His Majesty »

His daughters
ObiWanFrehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ObiWanFrehley »

I would like to know the thought process behind revamping the Dr.Love solo. Arguably one of Ace's best solos, but Vinnie just noodles all over it. I know Bruce was guilty of this as well, but it's distracting.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 am
nfarend wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am Since religion was brought in as a subject; as an atheist I don't have to worry about either heaven or hell. That said, I have serious doubts if there will be a place for VV in this so called heaven.
Sent you a PM.
If your PM is about Pan the Goat god, count me in.
Crazy Crazy Mike

Post by Crazy Crazy Mike »

Lick It Up is one of my favorite albums and I also love both Vinnie Vincent Invasion albums.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

This shit is getting ridiculous. It's verging on spam at this point.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

sneed78 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:30 pm To my ears, his absolute finest moment. Every time I hear these Warrior demos (especially this tune) it reminds me what a total shame it was that Vinnie didn’t take the Billy Squier approach (minus flash dancing on a bed) and sing his own tunes:

I totally agree.
This version is a lot better than the "official" one.
It's a great song, probalby his finest moment.
Myriadpyramid7
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Myriadpyramid7 »

"What the hell is going on around here?"
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Crazy Crazy Mike wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:23 pm Lick It Up is one of my favorite albums and I also love both Vinnie Vincent Invasion albums.
Same here! Excellent choices. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :flower:
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Bruce wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 pm I know I've said it before, but I'm just such a fan of the Lick It Up record, that it's difficult for me to not appreciate him as the great guitarist and lyricist he once was. Especially when compared to the records that came before it, Vinnie's playing style is like a breath of fresh air. And for all of his many sins, some of them quite egregious, actually, among the worst of them was squandering his talent later and for decades since. Before any of that, though, there were some fine moments, especially whenever he'd shredd!
It's not too late to see him shredd again this December :)
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

He did write or cowrite some really strong material on COTN,LIU and REV....I'll give him that. So those were his "finest" moments.

I do think that LICK IT UP is the best non makeup album by the band.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Rip Rokken wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 pm It's not too late to see him shredd again this December :)
Tempting, but ... no.
RaceFrehley
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RaceFrehley »

I'm a total Ace FREAK, but that recording of KISS in Nashville in 1984 is awesome. Vinnie absolutely tore up the solo on "Love Gun". I might like that one better than the original.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

gabbagabba wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 pm
sneed78 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:30 pm To my ears, his absolute finest moment. Every time I hear these Warrior demos (especially this tune) it reminds me what a total shame it was that Vinnie didn’t take the Billy Squier approach (minus flash dancing on a bed) and sing his own tunes:

I totally agree.
This version is a lot better than the "official" one.
It's a great song, probalby his finest moment.
Yeah I could probably say it’s his finest moment also. Killer tune with a great vocal.

As much as I dig the two Invasion albums, after I heard the demos with him singing, I always wished he would’ve continued being the vocalist for his own music (see Billy Squier, Aldo Nova, John Sykes and Ace for that matter).

Vinnie could really sing plus the constant high vocals can make the material sound very dated at this point (combined with the constant shredding on every tune including the ballads).
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:36 pm Los Angeles 1983 Creatures of the Night Bootleg, Universal Amphitheater.

Some staggering playing from VV here, especially during his solo spot (mindless noise my ass).

Whatever people may say about him, this guy could pick a banjo.

Here it is:

Couldn't get past his sloppy, mindless trem picking. Yet again, his peers, namely Eddie, left him in the dust. Eddie's trem picking sounded great. Vinnie's sounds like he just learned the technique a week prior.
John Shaft
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by John Shaft »

- ALL of his guitar work on the "Treasure" album as it features some of his most tastiest playing.
- "It's Not Pretty (Being Easy)" from the Warrior sessions.
- His publishing demos of "Tears", "Young Blood Young Fire" (with VV on lead vocals) and "Maybe It's The Rain"
- His solo on "A Million To One"
- For that matter, ALL of his work on the "Lick It Up" album!
- "No Substitute" & "Invasion" off the VVI album. Especially the rhythm guitar work on "Invasion" which is off the charts!
- "That Time Of Year", the Vinnie Vincent Invasion's finest moment.
- "Wild Child" (version with the acoustic intro), "Shocker" and the epic "Invincible" from the "Guitar From Hell" sessions.

Just to name a few. After all, it's all about the music!
Last edited by John Shaft on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Easily the Creatures tour. Fantastic lineup! :D
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

I really like the way the guys all look together for Creature of the, Night, with Carr and Vincent in makeup. They look hungry--!!
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

At 06:23

Vinnie needs a solo lesson from this performance.

Vinnie played mindless noise compared to these guys.
Myriadpyramid7
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Myriadpyramid7 »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:20 pm
You’re definitely Category 3... :lol: And with that, back to my studies for a while.
"What are ya studying for? Are you getting your professor bullshit degree?!"

I couldn't let this one go 😆
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 amI know Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven.
He's not a very good Christian.
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 amI’m not sure about the other guys, or any “fans” who keep griping about ancient history (Matthew 6:15).
You mean like The Sphinx? :lol:
Last edited by Frehley's Vomit on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Mad Dog wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 pm Vinnie's finest moment was during the solo of Exciter. Best solo of the album.
:lol: :lol: 8)
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Finest moment? On here posting as SO many people

Finest performance? The acting he gave at Atlanta. Oscar worthy. WE almost believed him.
FanbAce1978

Post by FanbAce1978 »

Boyz are gonna Rock
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

As a player, whenever he was on a leash ( = in the studio with with Simmons & Stanley). The guy is super talented and he has an amazing gift for melody - AND he has a completely unique tone and touch - but as a player he's totally unable to restrain and edit himself.

In terms of songwriting, I tend to prefer stuff he wrote before Kiss (fantastic shit like Gypsy In Her Eyes) to what he wrote after Kiss. But the stuff I enjoy most is the stuff he wrote with Gene. No matter what some people say, it is obvious to me that those songs were very much CO-written.
Last edited by banks on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

I know it's an unpopular view around here but I really love 'All Systems Go'. Of course his contributions to KISS were awesome and I really dig the Egyptian Warrior character.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Child
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

Doose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 am Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it:

How is it a "myth"? Creatures and Lick It Up are proof, at least in a lot of fans eyes and ears.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Doose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 am Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it:

The LEGEND of Vinnie Vincent

Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Doose

Post by Doose »

Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:57 am

One song. Not even a hit. Next.

Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it:
Doose

Post by Doose »

Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 am

One song. Barely charted. Totally forgotten. Next.

Vinnie is a charlatan. The MYTH of him being a "great" songwriter is just that - a myth. You want to see a TRUE songwriter who actually wrote hits? Check out Desmond Child's track record. Like Vinnie, he got his big break writing with KISS, but look at what Desmond Child did with that opportunity vs. what Vinnie did with it.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

So the best songwriters are the ones that sell the most?
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Sssnakester wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 am

How is it a "myth"? Creatures and Lick It Up are proof, at least in a lot of fans eyes and ears.
LIU is proof of how boring his songwriting tends to be.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Curveboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Vinnie finest moment is probably Animal...but this is a close second. The fact that it hasn't had an official release is a crime.

Nuke It
Is this the theme song for microwaving your frozen food products?