The earliest cover of a KISS song?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
RoomService
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

The earliest cover of a KISS song?

Post by RoomService »

I’m curious what the earliest cover of a KISS song to appear on a record, cassette, etc. would be.

I picked up an 8-track from 1976 with a cover of Hard Luck Woman. The 8-track is a compilation of then-current top 40 hits as performed by The GMC Pick Hit Artists. These types of releases were common at the time, but I was surprised to see HLW on this one.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: The earliest cover of a KISS song?

Post by Mr Slow »

I guess that counts as a cover. I didn’t really hear about any until Skid Row & Anthrax started doing them in the 80’s.
Deuce1231
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Deuce1231 »

The Replacements covered Black Diamond in 1984. That's about as early as I know of...

EDIT: Having listened to this cover for the first time in ages, I'd say it's safe to say Paul Westerberg made Kurt Cobain sound like Paul Stanley in comparison to Nirvana's cover of Do You Love Me... :lol:

In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by In the Suds »

Deuce1231 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 pm The Replacements covered Black Diamond in 1984. That's about as early as I know of...

EDIT: Having listened to this cover for the first time in ages, I'd say it's safe to say Paul Westerberg made Kurt Cobain sound like Paul Stanley in comparison to Nirvana's cover of Do You Love Me... :lol:

This cover is amazing.

Paul Westerberg is a great singer and The Replacements are one of the greatest bands of all time.
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

In the Suds wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:28 pm
Deuce1231 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 pm The Replacements covered Black Diamond in 1984. That's about as early as I know of...

This cover is amazing.

Paul Westerberg is a great singer and The Replacements are one of the greatest bands of all time.
That may very well be true in your humble estimation, but Westerberg couldn't seem to get half the lyrics right. I guess that goes with their M.O. anyway, piss off the audience just because they can...
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

It was a Finnish band DEAD END 5 in the mid 70's.
I don't remember which song it was. Maybe Let me go R&R.
Last edited by Kisscandinavia on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Don't forget Phil Lewis's and Phil Collen's 'Girl' who covered Do You Love Me for their debut LP in 1980.

Also released as a single.

This has to be the first KISS cover released as a single?
patrock
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by patrock »

The earliest one I know of is RARAN on this weird album called Convoy: 20 Classic Hits by C.B. Radio Music Ensemble which I think was released originally in 1978. I found it in the 80's though I know almost nothing about the record or where it came from and a web search is not doing me much good. I unfortunately don't have access to my actual copy of it at the moment to get the info but someone posted this to YouTube

Hellbastard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Hellbastard »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 pm It was a Finnish band DEAD END 5 in the mid 70's.
I was about to mention this.

And yes, it was "Let me go". The translation was called "WC-paperi 75".

And it's on Youtube.
Ferdinand Cesarano
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Ferdinand Cesarano »

Here's Van Halen covering "All The Way" in a live performance dated to 1975.

Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

Ferdinand Cesarano wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm Here's Van Halen covering "All The Way" in a live performance dated to 1975.

yeah I was going to say VH used to do covers of KISS songs in their early bar & backyard party days.

Although this thread is more about recorded covers.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Hellbastard wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 pm
Kisscandinavia wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 pm It was a Finnish band DEAD END 5 in the mid 70's.
I was about to mention this.

And yes, it was "Let me go". The translation was called "WC-paperi 75".

And it's on Youtube.

Yeah! That's it! The funny thing is that the title means "Toilet paper 75" :D :D :D :D
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

I did a similar thread here a while back. Someone posted a 1977 cover of Hard Luck Woman by an all female band from Japan.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

I actually prefer this Replacements cover over the Nirvana one. I first heard Nirvana's cover of Do You Love Me when I was 14, before Nevermind was out, and thinking at the time they were the absolute worst band I ever heard in my life. :lol: Seriously if this was meant to be an irreverent cover it isn't funny, it's just horrendous. Nah Replacements get the win.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

In terms of an actual band covering KISS (as opposed to one of those 'hits of 1975 performed by...' type things) then that Dead End 5 song seems a definite contender for the first recorded KISS cover. It's pretty good in it's own way too...

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Not the earliest but certainly early. A 1981 cover of IWMFLY. I'd heard for years that a female artist had covered the song in the 80s but never found out who until now. The wonder and power of Google!

totiefields

Post by totiefields »

There was an elevator music cover of Beth pretty early. Group has the word Strings in their name, can't remember it exactly.
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Potato Salad »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 am I did a similar thread here a while back. Someone posted a 1977 cover of Hard Luck Woman by an all female band from Japan.
HLW must be a popular song over there. Numerous Japanese groups have done covers of it, and there's an episode of Cowboy Bebop named after it.
douglasroads
Banned

Post by douglasroads »

The Japanese band was called Girls, which makes them hard to google, and Discogs lists their name in Japanese text making it harder still. I have both their albums, they are, shall we say, a curiosity. They cover ‘Hard Luck Woman’ on their 1977 debut alongside songs by Blondie and The Runaways. They were totally modelled after the Runaways with their lead singer wearing a corset and stockings. Curiously they were on the same label as the Runaways, Phillips, and at the same time too.

Nowhere near as early but Redd Kross did a great version of ‘Deuce’ on their ‘Teen Babes From Monsanto’ album in 1984.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

RoomService wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:01 pm I’m curious what the earliest cover of a KISS song to appear on a record, cassette, etc. would be.

I picked up an 8-track from 1976 with a cover of Hard Luck Woman. The 8-track is a compilation of then-current top 40 hits as performed by The GMC Pick Hit Artists. These types of releases were common at the time, but I was surprised to see HLW on this one.
Hard Luck Woman wasn't written in 1976.
Ted Maul's Paradise
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ted Maul's Paradise »

I've posted this before, but it makes me. :) Big band leader, James Last from his "The Non Stop Dancing Sound Of The 80's" album....

....*Actually released in '79 and frequently found in all good (and bad) charity or 'thrift' stores.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 am
RoomService wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:01 pm I’m curious what the earliest cover of a KISS song to appear on a record, cassette, etc. would be.

It's on Rock and roll Over which I believe was release in Nov of 76 so it had to be written before that......
RoomService
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RoomService »

The 8-track I have is dated 1976 on the label.
RARO was released in 1976.
gappvembe

Post by gappvembe »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:50 am In terms of an actual band covering KISS (as opposed to one of those 'hits of 1975 performed by...' type things) then that Dead End 5 song seems a definite contender for the first recorded KISS cover. It's pretty good in it's own way too...

Looking it over, I believe this is the one.

https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... sions.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128569721504/
gappvembe

Post by gappvembe »

RoomService wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 am

If you have more info, pics, etc. Jelle would be interested in it. Anyway to upload it?
https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/

I'm guessing it's similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Nelson- ... Swe0tcY-rU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-A-8-Track-19 ... SwywRaLYbz
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

How about this for a crazy listen?

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Ted Maul's Paradise wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 am I've posted this before, but it makes me. :) Big band leader, James Last from his "The Non Stop Dancing Sound Of The 80's" album....

....*Actually released in '79 and frequently found in all good (and bad) charity or 'thrift' stores.
Check this out! I fkn LOVE James Last. He actually does very spirited versions of stuff.

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

totiefields wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:12 am There was an elevator music cover of Beth pretty early. Group has the word Strings in their name, can't remember it exactly.
Living Strings!

RoomService
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RoomService »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:27 am
totiefields wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:12 am There was an elevator music cover of Beth pretty early. Group has the word Strings in their name, can't remember it exactly.
Living Strings!

This would have been my guess. Given the success of Beth at the time, I thought there must be one of these versions that would predate the copy of HLW that I’ve found.
RoomService
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RoomService »

gappvembe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 am
RoomService wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 am

If you have more info, pics, etc. Jelle would be interested in it. Anyway to upload it?
https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/

I'm guessing it's similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Nelson- ... Swe0tcY-rU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-A-8-Track-19 ... SwywRaLYbz
I’ll work on uploading this version of HLW. I don’t have a component-type 8-track player with an rca output. All I currently have are a small Panasonic TNT player and a Mego 2-XL Talking Robot. I could easily place a condenser mic in front of the speaker and record it that way, but it won’t sound the greatest.
caligari

Post by caligari »

This cover is amazing.
Amazingly Bad... Musically and vocally.
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

How could we have forgotten this gem? :mrgreen:

Although Lynda Carter was the stuff every red-blooded American male dreamed of in the day.... :mrgreen:

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

caligari wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 am

This cover is amazing.
Wrong. It's great.
caligari

Post by caligari »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:06 am
caligari wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 am

This cover is amazing.
Wrong. It's great.
Okay... why is it great?
They are not playing the correct notes to the main theme, the lyrics range from wrong to gibberish, the overall performance is very sloppy.
What makes it “great” for you?
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

If someone doesn't understand great rock and roll when they hear then I can't explain it to them. Sorry.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

"Convoy: 20 Of Today's Hits" from 1976
caligari

Post by caligari »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am If someone doesn't understand great rock and roll when they hear then I can't explain it to them. Sorry.
That's a great Empty Non-Answer. So much for a conversation...

So, your definition of "great rock and roll" is less than marginal talent?
KRR[Jelle]
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KRR[Jelle] »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:22 am How about this for a crazy listen?

because it's not a real KISS Tribute album these cover songs are already listed separately at https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... sions.html
KRR[Jelle]
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KRR[Jelle] »

Hi @Roomservice...
can you make me photo or scan of this 8 track tape , so I can list the details to my website https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... sions.html

As far as I know the oldest KISS cover song is Let Me Go Rock 'n Roll (as "WC-Papaperi-75") by Finish band DEAD END 5, which is released on their "Finnlevy" vinyl LP ‎– SFLP 9593 see : https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... 4_hth.html
KRR[Jelle]
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KRR[Jelle] »

ZachAttack wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:24 am "Convoy: 20 Of Today's Hits" from 1976

THANKS ... didn't know about that one
https://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist- ... e/11788978
KRR[Jelle]
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KRR[Jelle] »

Where's Drago? wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 pm Don't forget Phil Lewis's and Phil Collen's 'Girl' who covered Do You Love Me for their debut LP in 1980.

Also released as a single.

This has to be the first KISS cover released as a single?
and surely the first promo video clip of a KISS cover
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Nice find Jelle!

mamado

Post by mamado »

Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm Nice find Jelle!

Dear God... That's even worse than the original one. :( :( :( :flower:
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Deuce1231 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:05 am How could we have forgotten this gem? :mrgreen:

Although Lynda Carter was the stuff every red-blooded American male dreamed of in the day.... :mrgreen:

Did you know that Gene wore the outfit that Lynda Carter wears in that clip in Never Too Young To Die?

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

douglasroads wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:45 am The Japanese band was called Girls, which makes them hard to google, and Discogs lists their name in Japanese text making it harder still. I have both their albums, they are, shall we say, a curiosity. They cover ‘Hard Luck Woman’ on their 1977 debut alongside songs by Blondie and The Runaways. They were totally modelled after the Runaways with their lead singer wearing a corset and stockings. Curiously they were on the same label as the Runaways, Phillips, and at the same time too.

Nowhere near as early but Redd Kross did a great version of ‘Deuce’ on their ‘Teen Babes From Monsanto’ album in 1984.

Couldn't find their version of HLW but did find this. They have their own KISS style sign!

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm Nice find Jelle!

Check this out at 12 minutes in!

BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

And for fun here's the video Girl made for 'Do You Love Me?'. Not a great version and certainly not a great example of how brilliant Girl could be, but interesting still.

mamado

Post by mamado »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm And for fun here's the video Girl made for 'Do You Love Me?'. Not a great version and certainly not a great example of how brilliant Girl could be, but interesting still.

God, that's awful. :( :( :( :flower:
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

mamado wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:28 pm
BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm And for fun here's the video Girl made for 'Do You Love Me?'. Not a great version and certainly not a great example of how brilliant Girl could be, but interesting still.

God, that's awful. :( :( :( :flower:
Yeah, it's not great but their first LP 'Sheer Greed' is brilliant. They did the original version of 'Hollywood Tease' (Phil Lewis was in Girl). Un-PC lyrics and all...

mamado

Post by mamado »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm Yeah, it's not great but their first LP 'Sheer Greed' is brilliant. They did the original version of 'Hollywood Tease' (Phil Lewis was in Girl). Un-PC lyrics and all...

With all due respect, not my kinda thang... But, hey... To each his/her/their own!!! It's only rock 'n' roll!!! :sunny: :cheers: :flower: :thumleft: