Ebb & Flow of KISS fandom

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Ebb & Flow of KISS fandom

Post by BagBoy »

Curious, have you gone through an ebb & flow of your KISS fandom?

I for myself think I went through a huge high especially around the release of the Kissology series and Sonic Boom. Then there was a bit of a decline for a period of years, perhaps that was when I was in Arizona on a sabbatical. Then I came home and the introduction to so many podcasts to listen too it built up again, but now with our first sweet little new born and of course kinda starting around the announcement of the End of the Road there is a decline.

Is this when the big sell off of the KISS collection happens? We have been in that Marie Condo phase for a few months and it is great getting rid of things that you don't have a use/find enjoyment in any more.

So curious for discussion, and I want to avoid the insults to a specific era of the band that you may dislike, but what has been your ebb & flow? What had you leave for a while and if you came back, what was it?
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Ebb & Flow of KISS fandom

Post by Mr Slow »

I’m guessing we’ve all had some highs & lows as fans.
For me I’d say the lowest periods were 1996 (I didn’t want the Reunion), 2003 (wasn’t a fan of the Criss/Thayer lineup) & 2005-07 (pretty much nothing happening). But I stuck with them through those times and am glad I did. I’ve gotta say I have enjoyed the ride immensely since I first got onboard in 1979. Even the worst times are better than most other bands. 8)
star_paul12
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by star_paul12 »

Became a fan in 2001 and was your quintessential textbook definition of obsessed fan from then to roughly 2005/6. Then waned a bit. Was still very into them but as I grew out of adolescence so too did my obsessive fandom. My fandom got a real surge of energy come 2009, which was just such a tremendously exciting time to be a fan (especially one who had been ushered in at a time when the band was said to be done). It was the first time I experienced the rush of new music as a fan. Collecting and all resumed and stayed pretty constant through around 2014. 2016 my fandom started to wane again. Only this time is was replaced not with indifference or muted interest but more so of a strong sense of disdain and agitation. Started selling off my (very very large) collection around 2017, and actually just sold off the rest of it, save for bootlegs, books, films/dvd, and other media, last week.

I love this band so very much. But by 2019 I’m at a point where their past by far trumps their present for me, and that’s where my happiest moments with them lie. I wouldn’t say my fandom is in a state of ebbing at present. It’s just one that relies on history far more than the present or future.
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

star_paul12 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm Became a fan in 2001 and was your quintessential textbook definition of obsessed fan from then to roughly 2005/6. Then waned a bit. Was still very into them but as I grew out of adolescence so too did my obsessive fandom. My fandom got a real surge of energy come 2009, which was just such a tremendously exciting time to be a fan (especially one who had been ushered in at a time when the band was said to be done). It was the first time I experienced the rush of new music as a fan. Collecting and all resumed and stayed pretty constant through around 2014. 2016 my fandom started to wane again. Only this time is was replaced not with indifference or muted interest but more so of a strong sense of disdain and agitation. Started selling off my (very very large) collection around 2017, and actually just sold off the rest of it, save for bootlegs, books, films/dvd, and other media, last week.

I love this band so very much. But by 2019 I’m at a point where their past by far trumps their present for me, and that’s where my happiest moments with them lie. I wouldn’t say my fandom is in a state of ebbing at present. It’s just one that relies on history far more than the present or future.
An interesting viewpoint which is appreciated.
It makes you believe that this is indeed the EOTR.
I always joke that maybe a "Betty White Moment" might still follow but rock n roll is not the same as television or movies.
Even if they take off the makeup and continue top play they might gain appreciation in the coming years. There is no way it would come in costume.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

My fandom tapered off after the makeup came off and I missed most of the '80s. (My best mate from high school "soldiered on" alone.)

Didn't really get back into it until KISS My Ass/MTV Unplugged and the reunion/PC.

Been loving the renewed merchandising surge since the late '90s, particularly the comics and action figures.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steve »

My fandom was taken out into a back paddock and shot in 1996. The band regressed in every possible way and my respect for them diminished as the years passed.
Jampottt
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Jampottt »

Became a fan in 03. Obsessed for 2 years, cooled until the build up for Sonic Boom, obsessed again for another year as I finally got to see the band live, cooled again, surged again with Monster/Download Festival headliners as I got a new album and to see them again, cooled again, surged and never stopped when they announced they were calling it a day.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Utterly loved the band from 77 through to 84 but things tailed off from Asylum through to the Reunion.

Loved the reunion - and this was boosted by a happy time in my life so good memories all over from that time.

Things tailed off for me from Psycho Circus onwards. Live the band seemed half hearted IMHO.

They got a kick in the pants musically when Singer came back, but I made the mistake of seeing them on the Aerosmith tour. That was not good. They really did seem like a band on their last legs.

That was my last show too.

Not much interest in the current band because my world has changed and I wasn't keen on Sonic Boom and Monster.

That said - if you like em, enjoy!
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

lol, might as well copy / paste bits of it, I guess.
Thunderous_Lay wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 am1990 - 1995 = My formative years as a fan. Gene and Paul never looked as cool as they did back then. The band's musicianship was at an all-time high, and they could plunge into any era and replicate it on stage, effortlessly.

1996 - 2001 = Lowest point by far, even more so after I saw them live in Spain. I couldn't even be bothered buying Psycho Circus at the time - my mother or sister did for Christmas.

2002 - 2007 = KISS was barely a blip on my radar at this point. Still my favorite band, but they had outgrown their welcome.

2008 - 2019 = The Alive! 35 shows I attended were great but even then, you could definitely tell Paul's singing wasn't quite right. Then again, compared to what I saw last year, it felt as smooth as Nat King Cole singing Unforgettable.
FanbAce1978
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FanbAce1978 »

Flow: childhood end of the 70ies
Eb: late 80ies - early 90ies (KISS being hair metal and me getting towards extreme metal)
Flow: Reunion era
Eb: the new millenium
Flow: strangely enough, the current decade. Reinventing the 70ies and classic rock. Nostalgia factor comes in.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

After being a fan since I heard Alive! when I was nine years old, I was on my way out when Crazy Nights and Hot In The Shade came out.
I couldn't believe the most exciting band in the world released such a mix of mediocrity and, to be fair, outright crap.

When Revenge came out, I didn't really see myself as a fan ot that current band, so I didn't buy the album. I still think it's way overrated - heavier sound, but kind of meh tunes.
(I didn't buy Crazy Nights, Hot In The Shade or Revenge until years later.)

Everything changed with the reunion, of course.
Today's lineup - I'm lukewarm. Eric and Tommy seems to be nice guys, but the magic is gone.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:01 am Utterly loved the band from 77 through to 84 but things tailed off from Asylum through to the Reunion.

Loved the reunion - and this was boosted by a happy time in my life so good memories all over from that time.

Things tailed off for me from Psycho Circus onwards. Live the band seemed half hearted IMHO.

They got a kick in the pants musically when Singer came back, but I made the mistake of seeing them on the Aerosmith tour. That was not good. They really did seem like a band on their last legs.

That was my last show too.

Not much interest in the current band because my world has changed and I wasn't keen on Sonic Boom and Monster.

That said - if you like em, enjoy!
Just to add - even though my overall interest was low at the time, I attended the Revenge 92 show in London. Just excellent and best I've ever seen the band. Go figure lol.
elleneff
Banned
Banned

Post by elleneff »

All fandoms are pretty much the same. Peaks and troughs.
There is one fairly commonality re them all though. When the band/genre, movie/character etc is on a lull of general unpopularity ex (kiss 81-95, Trek in the 70s, Bond in the early 90s, Batman circa batman and robin, Dr who circa 86 - 2004, ) Fans tend to rally round and the support is more a concerted unified effort to try to keep that thing they love alive, fan fic, fan films, tribute bands etc.
and Re Kiss, I certainly don't remember such a division in Kiss fans back , say 86 - 95 when my love for them was at its peak. WE loved them, we supported them , we kept them going, they appreciated it etc.... post, say 2003, it was a different matter, for a varying of reasons.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

For me 1987 through 1989/early 1990 was the low ebb:

They recovered nicely with the HITS tour though, then Revenge which slayed, then the reunion which was fantastic & the absolute high point of Kiss' mainstream popularity

The post-reunion/pre-Sonic Boom "heritage act" years weren't a real feel-good time to be a fan for me. It took a long time to get used to Singer dressing up as Pete/Thayer dressing up as Ace, it was weird. Adding to the weirdness was Kiss being committed at the time to being a heritage act, a nostalgia act, an oldies act. I remember an interview with Paul in Classic Rock magazine where he said as much. It just felt strange to me. It didn't change anything about how I looked at Kiss as a whole, plus they weren't even recording new music (yet) anyway. Then came Sonic Boom & after a while I was able to just look at it the same way I view Kiss from 1980/1982 - 1995, it was just the Gene & Paul show with hired guns same as it was between the original breakup & the reunion. I guess I figured if I get to hear a few more new Gene or Paul songs from Sonic Boom & Monster, if I get to see Gene & Paul live a few more times - for me - hey, it's all good

Gene, Pete, Ace & Paul have created so much music that I love, there are so many great memories. In the long view those lower points don't really matter. I'm in it till I die
elleneff
Banned
Banned

Post by elleneff »

I get all this. 84 - 95 was MY period of love. Bruce was/is MY guy.
It may not have been as popular or successful as the 70s. But my god they were creative and prolific. They were desperate and had a LOT to prove. and to me , they did prove it , over and over.
As many state , musically they were the best and tightest 92-95 with Singer and Kulick.
I look back at the Carr stuff and it was played SO fast and busy, there is no groove. IMO (and no slight on Carr, he did what he was told, just as singer does now as the Cat) Singer gave them a groove back and a swing with the way he played in that 3 year period.
Hellbastard
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Hellbastard »

I hung in there throughout the "lean years" in the 1980s.

But everything from 1996 and on has been pretty uninteresting apart from Kissology and the two last albums, which I actually find quite enjoyable.
carlos
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by carlos »

I stopped collecting in 1999. I just didn't want to crate this stuff around any longer. There were a few items I'd rather to have kept but decided against it at the time.
20 years later and I've never gotten "the bug" again. A few items really seemed like a dream come true but the most I could say was, " I would have loved this back in the day".

It was a strange transition that took quite a while to really be comfortable with. I actually felt guilty and confused. Kiss has always been more than a band with merchandise. I had so much of my identity wrapped up into being a Kiss fan that I didn't know where I belonged once I lost interest.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

I pretty much flew the flag until after the Crazy Nights show I'd attended. Yikes, was that an awful night. I was pretty much content being off the train, but then my buddy assumed I'd go to the HITS show with him, and after much coercion, I agreed. Glad I went, best non-makeup show I'd been to. That said, the urgency to see the band again wasn't really there anymore until the Reunion. PC brought me back to earth, but caught 5 Farewell shows, thinking it truly was farewell. Since then, my interest in Kiss has ranged from mild interest to morbid curiosity, but forums like Asylum (in the earlier days of the interwebs) and the FAQ helped keep the better memories alive...
HarleyQuinn

Post by HarleyQuinn »

Interesting topic but I am sure it has been discussed before. I go through periods when I just want to listen to KISS and then I can go for months. Right now, I just check in on the forum to see any news. For the past year, my only 'investment' is keeping up with the drama surrounding VV, Ace's new album, interviews. The last year was hard because I was finishing up my credential. When I am really into KISS it's usually the music or watching/listening to KISSology or The Second Coming in the background.

I was never a collector but I have sold a few things in the past. I am only keeping my DVDs, albums, and books. In general, I am being more selective with what I purchase. I have no purchased Paul's new book. I had it on hold, I picked it up but I returned it as I have other things I wanted to read and his new book wasn't really a 'Must read'. Maybe in a few moths when I catch 'the bug' again. Any new albums or music from anyone I stream on Spotify.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

I'll make this simple.

1973-1980 -Flowing like a motherfucker.

1996-2000 -Flowing like a motherfucker.

Any other time period- Ebbing like a motherfucker.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

Top: first half of the 80s (could've done without The Elder, but I still defended it back then even though I was wrong and others were right)

Everything after that really can't compare to those years, so I guess it's been a decline since then.....yet to hit bottom I hope....
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hotter Than Heck wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 am Image
These are a few of my favorite things! The Kulick Era forgives a lot of sins, with this band ... and it fuels my fandom to this day. I still can't believe the musicianship on display on those records!