KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Wichita77
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

Post by Wichita77 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am
andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?
I don't see that working. The most obvious reason being, while they'd be promoting Kiss 2.0, they'd also inadvertently be broadcasting, in front of a network audience, the fact that NO ONE in that band will have any ties to the original lineup....casual fans might be naive, but they're usually not ignorant, so with that kind of disclosure, IMO it'd be a turn-off to them.
It all depends on how it was handled. In an American Idol way, where there were auditions, band members picking and coaching their versions of KISS for America to pick the four actual winners from the four bands, it could be AWESOME.

Think about it, they'd be young kids that a younger audience root for and connect with... All along the KISS mystique could be explored and shared as each member talks about what made them great (thus appealing to older fans). Maybe for the finale they would have to compose original music, which could be something for the next generation.

Again, I don't think it would succeed over the long haul, but it would make for a great season of TV that would lead to a Las Vegas residency maybe.
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am
andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?
I don't see that working. The most obvious reason being, while they'd be promoting Kiss 2.0, they'd also inadvertently be broadcasting, in front of a network audience, the fact that NO ONE in that band will have any ties to the original lineup....casual fans might be naive, but they're usually not ignorant, so with that kind of disclosure, IMO it'd be a turn-off to them.
It all depends on how it was handled. In an American Idol way, where there were auditions, band members picking and coaching their versions of KISS for America to pick the four actual winners from the four bands, it could be AWESOME.

Think about it, they'd be young kids that a younger audience root for and connect with... All along the KISS mystique could be explored and shared as each member talks about what made them great (thus appealing to older fans). Maybe for the finale they would have to compose original music, which could be something for the next generation.

Again, I don't think it would succeed over the long haul, but it would make for a great season of TV that would lead to a Las Vegas residency maybe.
I don't even see an audience for a show like this TBH. Maybe a single 2-hour episode, filmed and edited in advance, with live voting at the end, but a whole season? Unless it's on some niche channel, it'd barely even survive as summer programming. They could just as easily go the Vegas route without any of that....it could have modest success as a sanctioned tribute act, but I just don't see Kiss 2.0 having any legs as a "legit" current band.

Not to mention, like I'd said elsewhere, if any of the band members were actually worth a damn, they'd just use 2.0 as a stepping stone to further their careers, and then we'd be witnessing a Menudo-type revolving door...
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

I think people underestimate the power of legitimacy. For instance, there are a ton of Zeppelin cover bands out there playing bars and clubs around the country. But then you have Jason Bonham doing essentially doing the same thing, only playing much larger venues. Why? Because he has a connection to the band. Once KISS is gone for a couple of years you'd be surprised at what people will accept to get that shot of nostalgia. I think in the case of KISS 2.0 there is a lot of potential for something great. I have seen several KISS cover bands and none of them have ever been great, despite having great costumes and equipment. Seems like most times the guys are old and in cheap wigs, thus usually overweight and lethargic on stage. If KISS 2.0 was done right you could potentially put a product on stage that looks and sounds identical to the original band in the late 80s. Not sure it could exist as a working/recording band, but it certainly could exist in a "beatlemania" type format.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am

I don't even see an audience for a show like this TBH. Maybe a single 2-hour episode, filmed and edited in advance, with live voting at the end, but a whole season? Unless it's on some niche channel, it'd barely even survive as summer programming. They could just as easily go the Vegas route without any of that....it could have modest success as a sanctioned tribute act, but I just don't see Kiss 2.0 having any legs as a "legit" current band.

Not to mention, like I'd said elsewhere, if any of the band members were actually worth a damn, they'd just use 2.0 as a stepping stone to further their careers, and then we'd be witnessing a Menudo-type revolving door...
If Family Jewels can get an audience, something like this could as well.
Ikons

Post by Ikons »

I would go see a KISS cover band, but not one that dresses like KISS and tries to act like KISS. I would want them to focus on making the music sound as good as possible. Construct a really fun setlist with rarities. Play Tomorrow, play Keep Me Comin'. Maybe add some extra parts to those songs like KISS did with their staples.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am

If Family Jewels can get an audience, something like this could as well.
Well, Family Jewels had a niche audience on a niche network, hardly big enough to change any landscapes... It's biggest episode ever didn't even attract enough viewers to out-draw other cable TV shows in its own time slot, never mind the ratings for the week overall. So, saying it had an "audience" is all relative, lol

Plus, if Family Jewels was filmed on the budget of an American Idol-type show we're talking about here, the plug would've been pulled after the first episode...
Last edited by Vandelay Industries on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 am I think people underestimate the power of legitimacy. For instance, there are a ton of Zeppelin cover bands out there playing bars and clubs around the country. But then you have Jason Bonham doing essentially doing the same thing, only playing much larger venues. Why? Because he has a connection to the band. Once KISS is gone for a couple of years you'd be surprised at what people will accept to get that shot of nostalgia. I think in the case of KISS 2.0 there is a lot of potential for something great. I have seen several KISS cover bands and none of them have ever been great, despite having great costumes and equipment. Seems like most times the guys are old and in cheap wigs, thus usually overweight and lethargic on stage. If KISS 2.0 was done right you could potentially put a product on stage that looks and sounds identical to the original band in the late 80s. Not sure it could exist as a working/recording band, but it certainly could exist in a "beatlemania" type format.
In an Era where we have Jefferson Airplane touring w/a single founding member...and folks like my wife saying I HEARD JEFFERSON AIRPLANE PLAY WHITE RABBIT!!!!! (Not a diss, just a fact)...

We are 88% of the way to people accepting Kiss up there without any original members.

Then couple that with Kiss Die Hards being willing to accept miming to the music...

Can't find a Paul that sounds just right?

Fine.

Lip sync.

But you can't lip sync fire and makeup.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am
I don't even see an audience for a show like this.

A lot of people didn't think the EOTR tour could have an audience like it has had either.

Do I think this could be a ratings giant? No. Do I think the band would go on to be successful? No. Not every winner of American Idol has gone one to great success either... not every couple has lived happily ever after on the Bachelor either, but people are still interested in the process.

I can see it being a pretty interesting "making of a band" type of show, capitalizing off of the Kiss brand. Just like those other shows though, it won't be for everyone.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

Ikons wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 am I would go see a KISS cover band, but not one that dresses like KISS and tries to act like KISS. I would want them to focus on making the music sound as good as possible. Construct a really fun setlist with rarities. Play Tomorrow, play Keep Me Comin'. Maybe add some extra parts to those songs like KISS did with their staples.
I would assume KISS 2.0 would be even less likely to stray from the safest set lists.
Coventry1973

Post by Coventry1973 »

KISS will become like Disney Land... Disney World...
I for one won't be a part of that
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am In an Era where we have Jefferson Airplane touring w/a single founding member...and folks like my wife saying I HEARD JEFFERSON AIRPLANE PLAY WHITE RABBIT!!!!! (Not a diss, just a fact)...
Just to clarify, I don't think Jefferson Airplane tours anymore. Jefferson Starship is still out there, though. With one founding member, and one guy from the early 80's. (Paul Kantner toured with them up until his death).
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

No interest in the present band with 2 fakers, and no interest in a band full of fakers.
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 am
battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am In an Era where we have Jefferson Airplane touring w/a single founding member...and folks like my wife saying I HEARD JEFFERSON AIRPLANE PLAY WHITE RABBIT!!!!! (Not a diss, just a fact)...
Just to clarify, I don't think Jefferson Airplane tours anymore. Jefferson Starship is still out there, though. With one founding member, and one guy from the early 80's. (Paul Kantner toured with them up until his death).
There was a recent show with Quiet Riot, where the only classic-lineup member, drummer Frankie Banali, couldn't play so they had a fill-in. Talk about a tribute-band farce.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

One founding member is a pretty big difference compared to zero founding, or in some cases, even relevant member. The Moody Blues have been down to one founding member in Graeme Edge for a long time, but Hayward and Lodge were there from the 2nd album onward and completely reshaped that band. Still, Edge seems like he's ready for the old folks home so they'll have zero founding members eventually, but that's not the same as KISS 2.0.

WHen I think of bands with zero members I think of the managers/owners of Fleetwood Mac and the Zombies putting the name on completely unrelated bands and sending them out in the low-information age to immense backlash. Giving an old band name to a new and unrelated band was done with the New Monkees, though they made new music and didn't play the old Monkees' stuff, so that's a little different.

At any rate, I could see a KISS experience show existing on a small scale, but the idea that a group of four 20-somethings will be granted the KISS name and history and then continue on as if nothing had happened seems beyond unlikely. Taking a current mid-tier band making a debut album and putting them in makeup and calling them KISS and then telling them to put Love Gun, RARAN, Beth, and IWMFLY etc. in their shows seems plausible in the most cynical sense, though.
battra

Post by battra »

You are correct.

It WAS Starship and not Airplane.

I had it in my head it was Airplane because the guy who sang for Starship was using the name.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am
You are correct.

I had it in my head it was Airplane because the guy who sang for Starship was using the name.
It kinda proves your point, though. There are actually two versions of Jefferson Starship touring right now.

nfarend

Post by nfarend »

In a couple of years from now a lot of us here could say: I saw the real KISS live (R U ready for the real KISS?!). I think the KISS concept could be continued in various ways but most likely a Vegas kind of show, in Las Vegas. If it's done right, there will be an audience. A touring version? Meh, don't think so. A Broadway/ West End musical type of Mama Mia / We will rock you version around the globe? Yes, most certainly!
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

Before you knock these official tribute bands, you might want to give them a shot. Especially those of you who have a problem with high ticket prices of the arena acts. You might be letting your general principals get in the way of an inexpensive good time.

I saw the Artimus Pyle Band not too long ago. He was the drummer for Skynyrd from 1975 through the plane crash, most notably on the live version of Freebird. I've also seen the official Lynyrd Skynyrd play many times until they finally got down to only one original member, being Gary Rossington. They both played full Skynyrd set and both were GREAT shows. In fact, I'd have to say I enjoyed the Artimus version every bit as much as the official tribute band.

Same with Foghat. I saw them back in the day with all the originals, and then again last year with the drummer as the only original member. FANTASTIC show. No, it didn't have the same feel as when Lonesome Dave was alive, but getting to hear that music played live and loud didn't suck.

Molly Hatchet doesn't have ANY original members now. I love that music though, so I'll go when they come through town.

If you love live and loud music, and you love this type of music, you should give it a chance. This is just the reality of all of us getting older. You can be a curmudgeon about it, or you can take the good with the bad and have some fun with it.

When Kiss 2.0 happens, I'll be there to check it out. If it sucks, oh well.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am Before you knock these official tribute bands, you might want to give them a shot. Especially those of you who have a problem with high ticket prices of the arena acts. You might be letting your general principals get in the way of an inexpensive good time.
I've actually seen Foghat and Mickey Thomas' Starship. Enjoyed both. And they were cheap (free, in MIckey Thomas' case).

A full blown KISS show with bombs and pyro won't be so inexpensive. Which is why it is destined to fail.
battra

Post by battra »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am
battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am
You are correct.

It kinda proves your point, though. There are actually two versions of Jefferson Starship touring right now.

Well OK then. Why not go back to the Airplane name? I don't understand.

I saw Starship baaaaaaaack in 1994. When the Kiel Center (later Savvis Center, still later Scottrade Center, now Enterprise Center) opened, there was a concert for the construction workers who built the place and it was the first official event there.

Mike Keenan took the stage and said LET'S WIN A CUP!....

Do I count having seen 94 Starship and 2017 Jefferson Starship as having seen the same band?
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:15 pm Well OK then. Why not go back to the Airplane name? I don't understand.
Legal reasons. The Jefferson Airplane name is jointly owned by the original members of the group. Kantner owned the rights to the Jefferson Starship name, so that's what he toured under.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am Before you knock these official tribute bands, you might want to give them a shot. Especially those of you who have a problem with high ticket prices of the arena acts. You might be letting your general principals get in the way of an inexpensive good time.
I've actually seen Foghat and Mickey Thomas' Starship. Enjoyed both. And they were cheap (free, in MIckey Thomas' case).

A full blown KISS show with bombs and pyro won't be so inexpensive. Which is why it is destined to fail.
I'm going to see the other Jefferson Starship soon, for free too as it turns out. :) I'm looking forward to it in a different way than I would have back when they were together. For the originals it was about jockeying for a good spot, getting picks, all that stuff, now it's about finding a place to sit down and just enjoy the music itself.

About KISS, I don't think they'd go full out pyro if they did do this. Anything they did would pale in comparison to what they are doing now, so they might decide to go back to the beginning, more like the Destroyer experience with two staircases, drum riser, and Sam the Serpent. Back then it was their youthful energy that carried the show along with some pyro and theatrics. Throw in some different tech effects, and it could be cool. Maybe holograms used as the ghosts of the old KISS. It could be fun.

Don't get see wrong, I don't see it being a success, but it could be a cool novelty act that might make a good residency for awhile. Who knows? they might turn it into something that catches on. They won't know until they try. New blood, with new energy and new songs for a new era...
battra

Post by battra »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 pm
battra wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:15 pm Well OK then. Why not go back to the Airplane name? I don't understand.
Legal reasons. The Jefferson Airplane name is jointly owned by the original members of the group. Kantner owned the rights to the Jefferson Starship name, so that's what he toured under.
Well that all checks out dunnit?

Tanks!
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Why do Kiss fans not think new perfect likenesses of the original Kiss (the band, stage show and costumes) would work as Kiss 2.0? Let's say the recreated 80% of the 1977 Love Gun tour and band. Would that be good enough?
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Potato Salad »

PterCriss wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm Why do Kiss fans not think new perfect likenesses of the original Kiss (the band, stage show and costumes) would work as Kiss 2.0? Let's say the recreated 80% of the 1977 Love Gun tour and band. Would that be good enough?
It could be a good show, yes. But it's still a tribute band. They'd be doing club-level shows at most.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am The concept of KISS is not all that far removed from a Circus. It’s timeless. We see kids of fans getting into the band now just as we all did 30-40 years ago. Why wouldn’t it also appeal to the next generation? Imagine if what they created 46 years ago was just the beginning and it somehow managed to be carried on far beyond what a normal band lasts. There could be a KISS around 50 years from now.

Having said that, by doing this final tour many people would be less than enthused by a new bunch of guys hitting the road in 2025 and calling themselves KISS. Had they just transitioned gradually it might have been an easier thing to pull off. Paul gives it up now, Gene in a few years, Eric after that, and so on...

Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)
But yours is the perspective of a diehard who may want it to never end. Sure, there are people taking their kids to see Kiss now, but that won't mean that some new generation is going to widely embrace a hollow replica of a nostalgic concept. Heck, how many people our age would have went to see a Beatles with four new members? That's just optimistically believing that the concept is eternal and enough to endure no matter who slips into it. The kids who are seeing Kiss now will likely be smarter than to buy into it. Any new audiences are very unlikely to embrace it. Especially without Gene Simmons. He is still a huge draw to the mainstream himself. Once he is not performing anymore, they would be very hard pressed to sell tickets.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

In order for this to work( or at least have a good chance at working/being successful )

- It will have to be totally fresh and new. Merely recreating the current band will be pointless and there will be next to no demand for that as it’s been done, for more than 40 years in fact

- for it to have any longevity the new members will have to have a large degree of input and “say” regarding what the group does, how they sound, what they look like, how they perform etc. If Simmons and Stanley want to hire four yes-men, sure they could get any number of young players to do that. For a couple years... but for it to last over a longer period of time they will Have to allow the members to have a large part of the control of the band, if they are to stay with it and take pride in it and “give it their all”, they will have to be more than mere impersonators, but rather, legit musician/Entertainers expressing creativity in their own right

-It will have to be revitalized and refreshed to appeal to a new market rather than the diehards such as the members of this page. A lasting career that stands a chance of succeeding he’s going to have to be geared towards a more modern, larger, younger, more casual rock fan market
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Potato Salad wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm
PterCriss wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm Why do Kiss fans not think new perfect likenesses of the original Kiss (the band, stage show and costumes) would work as Kiss 2.0? Let's say the recreated 80% of the 1977 Love Gun tour and band. Would that be good enough?
It could be a good show, yes. But it's still a tribute band. They'd be doing club-level shows at most.
We are talking stepping into a time machine and going to the 1977 Alive II show.

Fans throw out the tribute band comment like anyone said the Kiss 2.0 band are replacements. Yes it's a tribute but it wouldn't be the crappy Kiss club tribute band.

Are the 2019 NFL teams tribute teams of the 1977 teams? No they are not.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Rockandrolloverman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:47 pm In order for this to work( or at least have a good chance at working/being successful )

- It will have to be totally fresh and new. Merely recreating the current band will be pointless and there will be next to no demand for that as it’s been done, for more than 40 years in fact

- for it to have any longevity the new members will have to have a large degree of input and “say” regarding what the group does, how they sound, what they look like, how they perform etc. If Simmons and Stanley want to hire four yes-men, sure they could get any number of young players to do that. For a couple years... but for it to last over a longer period of time they will Have to allow the members to have a large part of the control of the band, if they are to stay with it and take pride in it and “give it their all”, they will have to be more than mere impersonators, but rather, legit musician/Entertainers expressing creativity in their own right

-It will have to be revitalized and refreshed to appeal to a new market rather than the diehards such as the members of this page. A lasting career that stands a chance of succeeding he’s going to have to be geared towards a more modern, larger, younger, more casual rock fan market
Now ya talking my friend. But your concept is actually just the band KISS and keeping the current band going. I'm all for this and the new members would need to relax new music and I would have one female in the band to make up as the drummer.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

PterCriss wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Rockandrolloverman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:47 pm In order for this to work( or at least have a good chance at working/being successful )

your concept is actually just the band KISS and keeping the current band going. I'm all for this and the new members would need to relax new music and I would have one female in the band to make up as the drummer.
Interesting idea

as I see it it will have to be the just the Kiss concept Carried over into the new band- but other than the “concept”, it will have to but totally new, revitalized band that is created out of the fantasy/ theatrical / showmanship/ persona concept

I think the more modernized, independent, different, and revitalized they take this, the better chance it has at Succeeding

I think it would be very cool and very interesting if they created four new characters that were loosely tied to the original characters, in a similar vein, but are brand new characters in their own right

THAT would possibly stand a chance. Merely hiring four impersonators of the existing characters will not last long, for numerous reasons

A New, fresh, Revitalized, and modernized version of the unique Kisd concept, Reborn into something entirely new and exciting....THAT is the way to go with this
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Rockandrolloverman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm
PterCriss wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm

your concept is actually just the band KISS and keeping the current band going. I'm all for this and the new members would need to relax new music and I would have one female in the band to make up as the drummer.
Interesting idea

as I see it it will have to be the just the Kiss concept Carried over into the new band- but other than the “concept”, it will have to but totally new, revitalized band that is created out of the fantasy/ theatrical / showmanship/ persona concept

I think the more modernized, independent, different, and revitalized they take this, the better chance it has at Succeeding

I think it would be very cool and very interesting if they created four new characters that were loosely tied to the original characters, in a similar vein, but are brand new characters in their own right

THAT would possibly stand a chance. Merely hiring four impersonators of the existing characters will not last long, for numerous reasons

A New, fresh, Revitalized, and modernized version of the unique Kisd concept, Reborn into something entirely new and exciting....THAT is the way to go with this
C'mon, who would really want to see that??? It would totally suck either way, there is just no chance for a KISS 2.0 to succeed at any large market. I find this whole idea ludicrous, they've had a very long run already and it's more than about time to just let the whole thing die anyway. The spirit of KISS will go on regardless for various reasons, why drag that logo any further with a bunch of nobodies? Seriously.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

But you’re looking at this entirely differently than I am

I see this as being a brand new band with something to offer in their own right

New Band with brand new music and presentation - a revitalized theatrical concept based group that is created out of the Kiss concept

I agree the current Kiss has ran their course, but take that very unique creative and sellable “idea” and rework it into something brand new but even more expressive and theatrical given today’s modern technology

If it were good, and had something to offer that was interesting and fresh and new, it could find an audience
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

I think a new band based on an old concept would not have much of a chance of succeeding. Hard to see new audiences embracing a nostalgia spinoff. That's really a concept from the minds of diehards. New characters won't have much of a chance at success, Kiss killed that idea a long time ago for singular band members. Way too challenging for four of them, even if they are based on the past images.

The Kiss audience at large is established and based on nostalgia. There is no new ripe and large audience for the concept to catch new fire with, especially as a spinoff.

We all see things uniquely, but I believe no Gene Simmons in the band, no chance. I cannot see a new band with new or spinoff personas appealing to anyone other than some creative minded diehards.
Deadpool
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Deadpool »

Rockandrolloverman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Interesting idea

Yup, I agree. The same concept but with all new young unknown players /personas and a crop of brand new songs that they wrote.
I'd pay to see that.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Paul lip syncing in the current band has probably bought them another 3-4 years at least.

So that puts a 2.0 at maybe 6 -7 years away. I see it as a sanctioned Tribute backed by Kiss Org, called the Kiss Experience or something.. Probably theatre level/ casino ballroom level in draw.. 1000 seater type level.. There wont be multiple line ups - there will be only 1... Its hard enough to find 1 good Paul... They can tour the world with 1 lineup.. 4 younger guys recreating the classic show bankrolled by Kiss. If it gets some buzz I'll probably buy a ticket.
PUNCHLINE

Post by PUNCHLINE »

Kiss 2.0? never going to happen. It was just another way of Paul and Gene to justify putting T and E in Ace and Peter`s outfits and makeup.
Paul`s ego would never allow someone doing his job better than him.
As for "American Idol" style programs? Seriously? NOBODY would give a shit about Kiss without Paul and Gene. They lost a percentage of their fanbase when they put the other two guys up, lol, how many fans do you think would follow Kiss without the two most famous members?
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am The concept of KISS is not all that far removed from a Circus. It’s timeless. We see kids of fans getting into the band now just as we all did 30-40 years ago. Why wouldn’t it also appeal to the next generation? Imagine if what they created 46 years ago was just the beginning and it somehow managed to be carried on far beyond what a normal band lasts. There could be a KISS around 50 years from now.

Having said that, by doing this final tour many people would be less than enthused by a new bunch of guys hitting the road in 2025 and calling themselves KISS. Had they just transitioned gradually it might have been an easier thing to pull off. Paul gives it up now, Gene in a few years, Eric after that, and so on...

Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)
But yours is the perspective of a diehard who may want it to never end. Sure, there are people taking their kids to see Kiss now, but that won't mean that some new generation is going to widely embrace a hollow replica of a nostalgic concept. Heck, how many people our age would have went to see a Beatles with four new members? That's just optimistically believing that the concept is eternal and enough to endure no matter who slips into it. The kids who are seeing Kiss now will likely be smarter than to buy into it. Any new audiences are very unlikely to embrace it. Especially without Gene Simmons. He is still a huge draw to the mainstream himself. Once he is not performing anymore, they would be very hard pressed to sell tickets.
I’m not saying I’d be interested necessarily. I’m just putting it out there that it has the potential to continue on without any of the original guys. The appeal is the visuals obviously, but done right they could create something that is fresh but still keep the concept intact. Some of the best tribute bands tour the world.

I think we can all agree that this stage show they have now is stunning. Imagine a bunch of 25 year olds running around on it, wearing the makeup and costumes and add some cool new stunts.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Mr Slow wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 am
41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m not saying I’d be interested necessarily. I’m just putting it out there that it has the potential to continue on without any of the original guys. The appeal is the visuals obviously, but done right they could create something that is fresh but still keep the concept intact. Some of the best tribute bands tour the world.

I think we can all agree that this stage show they have now is stunning. Imagine a bunch of 25 year olds running around on it, wearing the makeup and costumes and add some cool new stunts.
If they try to sell those 25 year olds as a new band with new music based on an old formula, people will see right through it and it will flop. If they make it an official tribute show it will have a chance in smaller venues.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 pm Paul lip syncing in the current band has probably bought them another 3-4 years at least.

So that puts a 2.0 at maybe 6 -7 years away. I see it as a sanctioned Tribute backed by Kiss Org, called the Kiss Experience or something.. Probably theatre level/ casino ballroom level in draw.. 1000 seater type level.. There wont be multiple line ups - there will be only 1... Its hard enough to find 1 good Paul... They can tour the world with 1 lineup.. 4 younger guys recreating the classic show bankrolled by Kiss. If it gets some buzz I'll probably buy a ticket.
This.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

PUNCHLINE wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:53 am Kiss 2.0? never going to happen. It was just another way of Paul and Gene to justify putting T and E in Ace and Peter`s outfits and makeup.
As for "American Idol" style programs? Seriously? NOBODY would give a shit about Kiss without Paul and Gene. They lost a percentage of their fanbase when they put the other two guys up, lol, how many fans do you think would follow Kiss without the two most famous members?
I think the chance of G & P just letting KISS die without trying to do give it some kind of a fresh start, is pretty remote. I don't think KISS has that many fans to begin with anymore. They used American Idol to announce the tour, and to connect with a new audience. Having done two reality shows before, I can see how KISS themselves could really bask in the glory of the old days by trying to teach new members how to do what they do.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you know anything about KISS, you know that you shouldn't put anything past them.

They did KISS show based on an AFL football team, and you think THIS idea is impossible?
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

The question that nobody seems to be asking - who is bankrolling this? Who is taking the risk and shelling out the money to make all of this happen before a single ticket is sold?

Because it sure as hell ain't gonna be G&P.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Wichita77 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:13 am
PUNCHLINE wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:53 am Kiss 2.0? never going to happen. It was just another way of Paul and Gene to justify putting T and E in Ace and Peter`s outfits and makeup.
I think the chance of G & P just letting KISS die without trying to do give it some kind of a fresh start, is pretty remote. I don't think KISS has that many fans to begin with anymore. They used American Idol to announce the tour, and to connect with a new audience. Having done two reality shows before, I can see how KISS themselves could really bask in the glory of the old days by trying to teach new members how to do what they do.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you know anything about KISS, you know that you shouldn't put anything past them.

They did KISS show based on an AFL football team, and you think THIS idea is impossible?
They will indeed try anything. It could be compelling TV, but they wil just be teaching other guys to be tribute artists or a spinoff, and that will be kinda lame in concept. The TV show could work but then it either gives way to an official tribute in smaller venues or a new band that would likely fade away not long after.

Some may be open to it but I don't think it will have much of an audience after the last vestiges of the original band are gone. The concept can go on as a smaller scale official tribute. But I don't see some sort of new Kiss having much legs at all other than with a few hardcores.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 am The question that nobody seems to be asking - who is bankrolling this? Who is taking the risk and shelling out the money to make all of this happen before a single ticket is sold?

Who bank rolls any tour or tv show to Hollywood movie? You didn't know that a Hollywood movie is insured, financed by investors.

The same people that finance movies, tours and tv shows will be behind Kiss 2.0

Where do you think the profits will go if it makes 20 million a year? The new band members won't get hardly any of that? And just look on tv and see if you think it would work or not.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

41Mets wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 am
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 pm Paul lip syncing in the current band has probably bought them another 3-4 years at least.

This.
How do you put the Alive II tour in a 1,000 seat theater ?
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

41Mets wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am

They will indeed try anything. It could be compelling TV, but they wil just be teaching other guys to be tribute artists or a spinoff, and that will be kinda lame in concept. The TV show could work but then it either gives way to an official tribute in smaller venues or a new band that would likely fade away not long after.

Some may be open to it but I don't think it will have much of an audience after the last vestiges of the original band are gone. The concept can go on as a smaller scale official tribute. But I don't see some sort of new Kiss having much legs at all other than with a few hardcores.
I don't think it would be lame at all if handled right creative team, and produced properly. I can see Gene and Paul coaching a team of replacements through all the phases of being in KISS, performance, attitude, song writing, fan interaction--and then watching Paul work with his group of replacements... with plenty of Kisstory sprinkled in there, and the drama of weekly challenges.

It would appeal to all of the egos too... teaching people how to be as great as they are.

Let's face it, Tommy and Eric have proven that the concept of replacement members really doesn't phase the general public.

Would it translate into a new KISS that would go on into another era? I don't think so. But it would make for some good TV and another thing to keep KISS in the public eye a while longer. I'm sure it would. Family Jewels, 4th and Loud, Scooby Doo, KISS 2.0...
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:16 am
Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 am The question that nobody seems to be asking - who is bankrolling this? Who is taking the risk and shelling out the money to make all of this happen before a single ticket is sold?

Who bank rolls any tour or tv show to Hollywood movie? You didn't know that a Hollywood movie is insured, financed by investors.

Not if they can't foresee a return on their investment.

The only people clamoring for KISS 2.0 are a small group of diehard fans, who can't imagine a world without KISS. Pretty niche market, if you ask me.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

PterCriss wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 am
41Mets wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 am

This.
How do you put the Alive II tour in a 1,000 seat theater ?
I've seen the tribute band Strutter put the staircases in clubs.

No one is gonna care if the Serpent fits or not outside of this board. They will replicate it as well as they can.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Wichita77 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:28 am
41Mets wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am

I don't think it would be lame at all if handled right creative team, and produced properly. I can see Gene and Paul coaching a team of replacements through all the phases of being in KISS, performance, attitude, song writing, fan interaction--and then watching Paul work with his group of replacements... with plenty of Kisstory sprinkled in there, and the drama of weekly challenges.

It would appeal to all of the egos too... teaching people how to be as great as they are.

Let's face it, Tommy and Eric have proven that the concept of replacement members really doesn't phase the general public.

Would it translate into a new KISS that would go on into another era? I don't think so. But it would make for some good TV and another thing to keep KISS in the public eye a while longer. I'm sure it would. Family Jewels, 4th and Loud, Scooby Doo, KISS 2.0...
I agree the show could work. The "coaching replacements" thing is just teaching guys to be imitators, though.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am

The only people clamoring for KISS 2.0 are a small group of diehard fans, who can't imagine a world without KISS. Pretty niche market, if you ask me.
EOTR tour proves 2 non original members, pre-recorded music and 2 original slow members don't matter to people. People want to see the SHOW. End of story.

People loved Stan Lee and his stories about the Marvel Universe but I 2019 people want to see Disney's / Marvel and see it on the big screen.

It's all visual, hype and marketing and in NO WAY CAN YOU SAY THE EOTR 50 MILLION DOLLOR TOUR IS MADE UP OF DIE HARD FANS. The same casual or "I just want to see the show" fans will pay to see Kiss 2.0.

It's actually a great marketing idea and a way to continue the band.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am

Actually it's only a few die hard fans that are saying "don't do Kiss 2.0". The Kiss FAQ is not a marketing feedback hub and isn't the pulse of what main stream wants to hear or see. And I would do the opposite of want the FAQ said they preferred. The FAQ already beats up it's band they claim to love and are stuck in the 70's. Kiss 2.0 in not for die hard fans, it's for new fans and keeping the brand going.

Die hard fans have an issue with Kiss because they know who's under the make up and they can't get over it. This being true why would die hard fans want Kiss 2.0? Kiss 2.0 is not for them any way.