KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Yiggity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

Post by Yiggity »

Doose wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm
Yiggity wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:43 pm
Doose wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm I picture it being a Broadway-type show playing small theaters (1000-2500 seats) in multiple cities with different casts in each city. They'll have a great stage show, do the blood, do the fire breathing, have Paul's raps down, do the smoking guitar, do Beth, etc. Just like the Beatles have their tribute bands, but KISS' will be formalized productions controlled by KISS.
Makes sense. As long as that could be profitable.

Like the Beatles tribute bands, they could recreate different make-up eras of KISS - the 70s, the early 80s (with Eric and Vinnie), and then the Reunion era - so it really makes it a different experience.
Well, Beatles bands dont have to deal with pyro and such.
That's expensive. And the Beatles are just more of a draw.
richardsimmons
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

No thanks. I’d be much happier stoned on the couch watching Kissology 1 again.
vantheman77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by vantheman77 »

I will only accept KISS 2.0 if they resemble the original lineup.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

Yiggity wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm I'm not interested but at some point, officially licensed tribute bands may be a thing. Eventually, all the Rolling Stones members will be dead [insert "clever" Keith Richards will outlive cockroaches remark here if you must] for instance and there will still be a demand for them. Put some money behind it, maybe a relative to one of the members and it might work. Rock concerts are changing anyway. They're much more family entertainment now and we have no idea how they will evolve. We also have holograms touring with at least some success?
In 50 years, maybe there will be official tributes for everyone since they'll all/most be dead. Why not a Beatles, a Motley Crue, a Zeppelin show to always go see that the owners of those bands/estates can oversee? It all seems very plausible but not in the forseeable future.
I'd pay to see a new Zep, playing Zep songs and WRITING new Zep-like (in the spirit of, not a rip-off) songs... and Beatles, and Floyd, and Kiss.
But only with a project, a best-of-best of 4 men in their 20s, sacred by Led Zeppelin (or every other band listed).
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

I have never understood the KISS 2.0 thing. It would make more sense to call it something like KISS 8.0 . If you go by all the lineups that are not original, I think a lineup with no original members next would be more like KISS 8.0, I think unless I am missing a lineup in there.
DOUBLE DYNASTY
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

HOFCity wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 pm I'm at least interested.

will it ever happen ? Only time will tell
I don't know if it will be called KISS 2.0, or "THE KISS EXPERIENCE" or what, but one thing you can be sure of is that there will likely be an "official" KISS cover band sanctioned by Gene and Paul that will tour and continue to provide revenue for Gene and Paul. Gene and/or Paul will sporadically join them onstage. This band will also record albums of new material produced by Gene.

There will be a "revolving door" of musicians in this band, just like the original KISS. When a core member needs to be replaced, they will do a reality TV show and people will audition to be the "new Starchild" or the "new Demon".
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

It won't be Kiss 2.0, it will be, if anything, an "official" Kiss tribute band. And the only way it'll have any kind of chance is if Tommy Thayer continues to portray Ace in it, for his third go' round.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Gene and Paul just get the best Kiss tribute band they can find, get them to ditch their "Ace" and put Tommy in it.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

The only way this might be moderately interesting (not necessarily likable, enjoyable, etc.) is if there were versions for different eras.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

I'm so ready! Nick Simmons and Evan Stanley better be in it, that's all I can say.
Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

Doose wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm
Yiggity wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:43 pm
Doose wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm I picture it being a Broadway-type show playing small theaters (1000-2500 seats) in multiple cities with different casts in each city. They'll have a great stage show, do the blood, do the fire breathing, have Paul's raps down, do the smoking guitar, do Beth, etc. Just like the Beatles have their tribute bands, but KISS' will be formalized productions controlled by KISS.
Makes sense. As long as that could be profitable.
Like the Beatles tribute bands, they could recreate different make-up eras of KISS - the 70s, the early 80s (with Eric and Vinnie), and then the Reunion era - so it really makes it a different experience.
Agreed. I've always said this is the most likely scenario.

And TBH I'd be probably more into this than the current KISS. At least they'd be upfront about it being a tribute band (rather than the ridiculous 50% tribute show situation we have now). Plus tickets would be cheaper and the venues more intimate. I think it would be a great nite out. Sure its not really Kiss but I don't really feel like the current band is really Kiss either so whatevs...
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Potato Salad »

A KISS 2.0 band basically has no value. Gene and Paul ARE the draw for current KISS. When they leave, it's over. An officially sanctioned tribute band probably wouldn't draw any more people than the rest of the tribute bands out there.
ypke

Post by ypke »

Kloetenburger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am Kiss tribute bands are notorious to be extra shitty. They are the worst. There is always something wrong. Always. Bad, wigs, cheap costumes, a short and stocky Paul, a giant Peter, an obese Ace, and of course nobody can sing like Paul could when he was still able to sing. Kiss tribute bands are embarrassing. All of them.
Torpedo Girls was the best Kiss cover band I ever saw. Cause they played the music with fun and passion and made it their own by doing so. Tributes ussually want to get the closest to the original and that's exactly where that fail most of the time.
Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

ypke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 am Tributes ussually want to get the closest to the original and that's exactly where that fail most of the time.
I find where they fail is that they think the makeup and costumes is all they have to do, and then they forget you actually have to learn how to play the songs properly and know how to play their instruments.
justcoz
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by justcoz »

If they could pull something with Gene and Paul backing a new KISS fronted by Nick and Evan in their personas with a lead guitarist and drummer that did Ace and Peter justice, I'd be interested. It would have to have the vibe of original KISS though.

At one point I entertained the idea of touring and recording All Star tributes. Guessing who was behind each makeup persona. Like you get a KISS album and it's Adam Lambert as the Starchild, Rob Zombie as the Demon, J Mascis as the Spaceman, and Dave Grohl as the Catman. But you don't know who is who until after the music comes out. I guess that could suck though and what's the market for it?
Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

ypke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 am
Kloetenburger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am Kiss tribute bands are notorious to be extra shitty. They are the worst. There is always something wrong. Always. Bad, wigs, cheap costumes, a short and stocky Paul, a giant Peter, an obese Ace, and of course nobody can sing like Paul could when he was still able to sing. Kiss tribute bands are embarrassing. All of them.
Torpedo Girls was the best Kiss cover band I ever saw. Cause they played the music with fun and passion and made it their own by doing so. Tributes ussually want to get the closest to the original and that's exactly where that fail most of the time.
Never heard of them.

Even Kiss (or what's left of them) don't look right anymore. Sometimes there are tribute bands who look better than the current Kiss version.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

I’d check it out for sure. But I’d be more enthused if they went out to find 4 good performers/musicians than try to get a good copy of Paul, Gene etc.

I hope they do it in the same way that Eric approaches his role as the Catman. He wears the gear but he plays and performs like Eric. If they found 4 quality players that didn’t necessarily mimic the 4 originals I’d be more likely to get behind it.

Wear the face but be your own guy. Tommy skates the line a bit now, but if you had 4 new members trying to copy the originals move for move it would be a bit much.
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

FFS it won't be called KISS. Anyone that thinks it will be called KISS and KISS alone, is nuts.
Jampottt
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Jampottt »

I think KISS 2.0 was always just something Paul said incase Gene retired and Paul would carry on without him.
After seeing KISS on the EOTR, I see why they're now being very 'final' about it. They being Paul.
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

So far Kiss fans have been ok with two full on tribute players.

Now Kiss fans are ok with Paul miming.

Kiss 2.0 will be a go and do well.
battra

Post by battra »

When you see all the folks saying, no THIS IS THE LINE in the sand.

Gene and Paul must be in it...

Remember how many people here said they wouldn't be fine with Kiss lip syncing.

Their business is no longer music.
DOUBLE DYNASTY
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

LordThurisaz wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 pm The only way this might be moderately interesting (not necessarily likable, enjoyable, etc.) is if there were versions for different eras.
Ah... now we're talking.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

I'm barely even interested in KISS 1.0
Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

ZachAttack wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am I'm barely even interested in KISS 1.0
:lol:
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by His Majesty »

Bruce wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:28 pm I'm so ready! Nick Simmons and Evan Stanley better be in it, that's all I can say.

Might as well throw in Monique Frehley and Jenilee Criss on guitar and drums. It's not like they can play any worse than their dads are playing at this point in time...
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

... And/or Sophie Simmons!
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Y'know I'm coming round to the idea of Nick and Evan in KISS: The Next Generation. Has a Wolfgang Van Halen kinda vibe.

Or an all-girls lineup as suggested in the other thread.

kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

Yiggity wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm I'm not interested but at some point, officially licensed tribute bands may be a thing. Eventually, all the Rolling Stones members will be dead [insert "clever" Keith Richards will outlive cockroaches remark here if you must] for instance and there will still be a demand for them. Put some money behind it, maybe a relative to one of the members and it might work. Rock concerts are changing anyway. They're much more family entertainment now and we have no idea how they will evolve. We also have holograms touring with at least some success?
In 50 years, maybe there will be official tributes for everyone since they'll all/most be dead. Why not a Beatles, a Motley Crue, a Zeppelin show to always go see that the owners of those bands/estates can oversee? It all seems very plausible but not in the forseeable future.
I know there is an official QUEEN tribute band called The Queen Extravaganza featuring Marc Martelll (the guy that did off the singing for Rami Malek in 'Bohemian Rhapsody' when they weren't using the original Freddie vocal).

But although they replicat the sound, they don't dress like Queen...

Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

Bruce wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:28 pm I'm so ready! Nick Simmons and Evan Stanley better be in it, that's all I can say.
I wish I could make a living singing songs my old man wrote about his dick.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

KISS Chix has kind of an interesting ring to it.
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Potato Salad »

Does Nick even play an instrument?
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

why is anyone even talking about this? its just one of a million ideas they have thrown out over the years that will never happen.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

savage_dreams wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 am why is anyone even talking about this? its just one of a million ideas they have thrown out over the years that will never happen.
I'll bet it happens. KISS fans can simply not help themselves from buying in to anything that has that shiny logo on it. I mean they've already bought in to a lip synching cover band comprised of geriatrics, so why not?
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

LordThurisaz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 pm KISS Chix has kind of an interesting ring to it.
Agreed--!!

Coventry1973

Post by Coventry1973 »

Without Paul and Gene?
Why would I want to see 2 guys in Paul and Gene makeup with Tommy and Eric?????
Zero point zero interest in that
kiss100
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kiss100 »

When tour is over whenever that is KISS is done hopefully at this point with current line up and set list.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

No, I'm not interested in--- nor do I accept--- a so-called "Kiss 2.0". I passed on the End Of The Road tour, so I'll be more than willing to skip this abomination of an idea! :oops: ... :evil: ... :!:
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

ZachAttack wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am I'm barely even interested in KISS 1.0
You mean Kiss 0.5
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

If they sell it as the KISS Experience and not as a true band it could do decently in some smaller venues. If they try to actually replace Gene and Paul and attempt to tour arenas, etc. and even sheds, it won't work, I believe. If it's some sort of official trib band with a very good show I could see it on a small scale. Just don't pretend it's still KISS, sell it as a salute to them.
DeucyLucy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DeucyLucy »

Coventry1973 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am Without Paul and Gene?
I’m not really interested in “Kiss 2.0” but surely the idea is to have 4 young fresh faces to fill in the roles so Tommy and Eric would be out.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

DeucyLucy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm
Coventry1973 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am Without Paul and Gene?
I’m not really interested in “Kiss 2.0” but surely the idea is to have 4 young fresh faces to fill in the roles so Tommy and Eric would be out.
As odd as it would be to have new guys playing with the aged Eric and Tommy, it would almost be odder to see old KISS fans flocking to shows by a version of KISS made up by performers who were barely alive when Psycho Circus came out, if that. I can't help but picture a bunch of us old men gathering to see what would likely be a C-grade boy band dressed up like an act from the stone age.
DeucyLucy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DeucyLucy »

Nately120 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm
As odd as it would be to have new guys playing with the aged Eric and Tommy, it would almost be odder to see old KISS fans flocking to shows by a version of KISS made up by performers who were barely alive when Psycho Circus came out, if that. I can't help but picture a bunch of us old men gathering to see what would likely be a C-grade boy band dressed up like an act from the stone age.
Kiss 2.0 —> Kiss fans 2.0

For the Kiss brand to stay alive post-Gene and Paul, new younger fans need to be brought on board, hence new, young Kiss members, maybe with some new material. At least that’s how I understood Paul’s intent.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

DeucyLucy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm

For the Kiss brand to stay alive post-Gene and Paul, new younger fans need to be brought on board, hence new, young Kiss members, maybe with some new material. At least that’s how I understood Paul’s intent.
That could happen, but I don't know 20-somethings well enough to know if they are going to want to legitimately follow a band that is mimicking that band their weird uncle is obsessed with.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Nately120 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm
DeucyLucy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm

That could happen, but I don't know 20-somethings well enough to know if they are going to want to legitimately follow a band that is mimicking that band their weird uncle is obsessed with.
Cannot see younger fans widely embracing an old concept with nobodies. Kiss is nostalgia driven and some new band doesn't have a chance either mimicking or spinning off something that's already been done. Younger people have their own favorite artists rather than some rehash of nostalgia. It may interest a few people but not enough to survive. A few diehards may care but not much. The only chance is a smaller venue type trib act with a good show.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

The concept of KISS is not all that far removed from a Circus. It’s timeless. We see kids of fans getting into the band now just as we all did 30-40 years ago. Why wouldn’t it also appeal to the next generation? Imagine if what they created 46 years ago was just the beginning and it somehow managed to be carried on far beyond what a normal band lasts. There could be a KISS around 50 years from now.

Having said that, by doing this final tour many people would be less than enthused by a new bunch of guys hitting the road in 2025 and calling themselves KISS. Had they just transitioned gradually it might have been an easier thing to pull off. Paul gives it up now, Gene in a few years, Eric after that, and so on...

Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?
Parallax1
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Parallax1 »

If they get the right guys to do it I'm in.
Big "if" though.
battra

Post by battra »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)
Exactly this.

No one at the shows cares about the music at this point.

All they care about is pyro and make up.

And it hurts so much to type that.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

I'm not the kind of fan who buys into everything the band does, but I usually give everything a chance with an open mind.

So if this does happen, I'll certainly give it a shot. I don't see how it can be a long-term success, but it could be another fun episode of Kisstory if done right.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?
If they were going to do it on that big a scale, rather than live off their past I’d prefer if they moved it forward. Still play the classics but also do new music, create new costumes, keep evolving the live presentation, make it a living, breathing entity as opposed to just recreating what they’ve done already. Not saying I’d be onboard with it, but it would be far more appealing to me if it was building on the legacy not just copying it.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

andreww1962 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

I don't see that working. The most obvious reason being, while they'd be promoting Kiss 2.0, they'd also inadvertently be broadcasting, in front of a network audience, the fact that NO ONE in that band will have any ties to the original lineup....casual fans might be naive, but they're usually not ignorant, so with that kind of disclosure, IMO it'd be a turn-off to them.