KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
savage_dreams
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: KISS 2.0 - Who's ready / who will never be ready

Post by savage_dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 am

why is anyone even talking about this? its just one of a million ideas they have thrown out over the years that will never happen.

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 am

savage_dreams wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 am
why is anyone even talking about this? its just one of a million ideas they have thrown out over the years that will never happen.
I'll bet it happens. KISS fans can simply not help themselves from buying in to anything that has that shiny logo on it. I mean they've already bought in to a lip synching cover band comprised of geriatrics, so why not?

Bruce
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Bruce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

LordThurisaz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 pm
KISS Chix has kind of an interesting ring to it.
Agreed--!!

Coventry1973
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Coventry1973 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am

Without Paul and Gene?
Why would I want to see 2 guys in Paul and Gene makeup with Tommy and Eric?????
Zero point zero interest in that

kiss100
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by kiss100 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:18 am

When tour is over whenever that is KISS is done hopefully at this point with current line up and set list.

Mr. Kiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Mr. Kiss » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:20 pm

No, I'm not interested in--- nor do I accept--- a so-called "Kiss 2.0". I passed on the End Of The Road tour, so I'll be more than willing to skip this abomination of an idea! :oops: ... :evil: ... :!:

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:47 pm

ZachAttack wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am
I'm barely even interested in KISS 1.0
You mean Kiss 0.5

41Mets

Post by 41Mets » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm

If they sell it as the KISS Experience and not as a true band it could do decently in some smaller venues. If they try to actually replace Gene and Paul and attempt to tour arenas, etc. and even sheds, it won't work, I believe. If it's some sort of official trib band with a very good show I could see it on a small scale. Just don't pretend it's still KISS, sell it as a salute to them.

DeucyLucy
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DeucyLucy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Coventry1973 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am
Without Paul and Gene?
I’m not really interested in “Kiss 2.0” but surely the idea is to have 4 young fresh faces to fill in the roles so Tommy and Eric would be out.

Nately120
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Nately120 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm

DeucyLucy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm
Coventry1973 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am
Without Paul and Gene?
I’m not really interested in “Kiss 2.0” but surely the idea is to have 4 young fresh faces to fill in the roles so Tommy and Eric would be out.
As odd as it would be to have new guys playing with the aged Eric and Tommy, it would almost be odder to see old KISS fans flocking to shows by a version of KISS made up by performers who were barely alive when Psycho Circus came out, if that. I can't help but picture a bunch of us old men gathering to see what would likely be a C-grade boy band dressed up like an act from the stone age.

DeucyLucy
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DeucyLucy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Nately120 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm
DeucyLucy wrote:

As odd as it would be to have new guys playing with the aged Eric and Tommy, it would almost be odder to see old KISS fans flocking to shows by a version of KISS made up by performers who were barely alive when Psycho Circus came out, if that. I can't help but picture a bunch of us old men gathering to see what would likely be a C-grade boy band dressed up like an act from the stone age.
Kiss 2.0 —> Kiss fans 2.0

For the Kiss brand to stay alive post-Gene and Paul, new younger fans need to be brought on board, hence new, young Kiss members, maybe with some new material. At least that’s how I understood Paul’s intent.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm

DeucyLucy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Nately120 wrote:
DeucyLucy wrote:

For the Kiss brand to stay alive post-Gene and Paul, new younger fans need to be brought on board, hence new, young Kiss members, maybe with some new material. At least that’s how I understood Paul’s intent.
That could happen, but I don't know 20-somethings well enough to know if they are going to want to legitimately follow a band that is mimicking that band their weird uncle is obsessed with.

41Mets

Post by 41Mets » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 am

Nately120 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm
DeucyLucy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Nately120 wrote:
DeucyLucy wrote:

That could happen, but I don't know 20-somethings well enough to know if they are going to want to legitimately follow a band that is mimicking that band their weird uncle is obsessed with.
Cannot see younger fans widely embracing an old concept with nobodies. Kiss is nostalgia driven and some new band doesn't have a chance either mimicking or spinning off something that's already been done. Younger people have their own favorite artists rather than some rehash of nostalgia. It may interest a few people but not enough to survive. A few diehards may care but not much. The only chance is a smaller venue type trib act with a good show.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am

The concept of KISS is not all that far removed from a Circus. It’s timeless. We see kids of fans getting into the band now just as we all did 30-40 years ago. Why wouldn’t it also appeal to the next generation? Imagine if what they created 46 years ago was just the beginning and it somehow managed to be carried on far beyond what a normal band lasts. There could be a KISS around 50 years from now.

Having said that, by doing this final tour many people would be less than enthused by a new bunch of guys hitting the road in 2025 and calling themselves KISS. Had they just transitioned gradually it might have been an easier thing to pull off. Paul gives it up now, Gene in a few years, Eric after that, and so on...

Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am

I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?

Parallax1
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Parallax1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:41 am

If they get the right guys to do it I'm in.
Big "if" though.

battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by battra » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am
Some of you are probably rolling your eyes as you read this, but 20 years ago did you ever think that one day we’d have KISS with 2 new guys made up as the originals being prominent enough to play arenas and headlining major festivals? Those of you that like to dismiss the bands success as merely casual fans going to see the spectacle, you should be convinced more than any of us that a KISS 2.0 will succeed! 8)
Exactly this.

No one at the shows cares about the music at this point.

All they care about is pyro and make up.

And it hurts so much to type that.

Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Wichita77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 am

I'm not the kind of fan who buys into everything the band does, but I usually give everything a chance with an open mind.

So if this does happen, I'll certainly give it a shot. I don't see how it can be a long-term success, but it could be another fun episode of Kisstory if done right.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am

andreww1962 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am
I would envision it starting with an American Idol like TV show with Paul and Gene as the judges. Having those guys and showing a bunch of vintage KISS videos would ensure that their current fans would at lest tune in. Over the course of the season fans would become acquainted with their favourite Demon, Spaceman, Catman and Starchild, and through the voting process they might become more vested in the new group.

So say KISS 2.0 came to your town with Gene & Paul emceeing. Original Love Gun stage, all original outfits, and a band with enough energy to replicate every move KISS ever did. Would that be something you'd pay $50 to see?
If they were going to do it on that big a scale, rather than live off their past I’d prefer if they moved it forward. Still play the classics but also do new music, create new costumes, keep evolving the live presentation, make it a living, breathing entity as opposed to just recreating what they’ve done already. Not saying I’d be onboard with it, but it would be far more appealing to me if it was building on the legacy not just copying it.

Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am

andreww1962 wrote:

I don't see that working. The most obvious reason being, while they'd be promoting Kiss 2.0, they'd also inadvertently be broadcasting, in front of a network audience, the fact that NO ONE in that band will have any ties to the original lineup....casual fans might be naive, but they're usually not ignorant, so with that kind of disclosure, IMO it'd be a turn-off to them.

Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Wichita77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am

Vandelay Industries wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am
andreww1962 wrote:

I don't see that working. The most obvious reason being, while they'd be promoting Kiss 2.0, they'd also inadvertently be broadcasting, in front of a network audience, the fact that NO ONE in that band will have any ties to the original lineup....casual fans might be naive, but they're usually not ignorant, so with that kind of disclosure, IMO it'd be a turn-off to them.
It all depends on how it was handled. In an American Idol way, where there were auditions, band members picking and coaching their versions of KISS for America to pick the four actual winners from the four bands, it could be AWESOME.

Think about it, they'd be young kids that a younger audience root for and connect with... All along the KISS mystique could be explored and shared as each member talks about what made them great (thus appealing to older fans). Maybe for the finale they would have to compose original music, which could be something for the next generation.

Again, I don't think it would succeed over the long haul, but it would make for a great season of TV that would lead to a Las Vegas residency maybe.

Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am

Wichita77 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am
andreww1962 wrote:

It all depends on how it was handled. In an American Idol way, where there were auditions, band members picking and coaching their versions of KISS for America to pick the four actual winners from the four bands, it could be AWESOME.

Think about it, they'd be young kids that a younger audience root for and connect with... All along the KISS mystique could be explored and shared as each member talks about what made them great (thus appealing to older fans). Maybe for the finale they would have to compose original music, which could be something for the next generation.

Again, I don't think it would succeed over the long haul, but it would make for a great season of TV that would lead to a Las Vegas residency maybe.
I don't even see an audience for a show like this TBH. Maybe a single 2-hour episode, filmed and edited in advance, with live voting at the end, but a whole season? Unless it's on some niche channel, it'd barely even survive as summer programming. They could just as easily go the Vegas route without any of that....it could have modest success as a sanctioned tribute act, but I just don't see Kiss 2.0 having any legs as a "legit" current band.

Not to mention, like I'd said elsewhere, if any of the band members were actually worth a damn, they'd just use 2.0 as a stepping stone to further their careers, and then we'd be witnessing a Menudo-type revolving door...

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 am

I think people underestimate the power of legitimacy. For instance, there are a ton of Zeppelin cover bands out there playing bars and clubs around the country. But then you have Jason Bonham doing essentially doing the same thing, only playing much larger venues. Why? Because he has a connection to the band. Once KISS is gone for a couple of years you'd be surprised at what people will accept to get that shot of nostalgia. I think in the case of KISS 2.0 there is a lot of potential for something great. I have seen several KISS cover bands and none of them have ever been great, despite having great costumes and equipment. Seems like most times the guys are old and in cheap wigs, thus usually overweight and lethargic on stage. If KISS 2.0 was done right you could potentially put a product on stage that looks and sounds identical to the original band in the late 80s. Not sure it could exist as a working/recording band, but it certainly could exist in a "beatlemania" type format.

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am
Wichita77 wrote:
andreww1962 wrote:

I don't even see an audience for a show like this TBH. Maybe a single 2-hour episode, filmed and edited in advance, with live voting at the end, but a whole season? Unless it's on some niche channel, it'd barely even survive as summer programming. They could just as easily go the Vegas route without any of that....it could have modest success as a sanctioned tribute act, but I just don't see Kiss 2.0 having any legs as a "legit" current band.

Not to mention, like I'd said elsewhere, if any of the band members were actually worth a damn, they'd just use 2.0 as a stepping stone to further their careers, and then we'd be witnessing a Menudo-type revolving door...
If Family Jewels can get an audience, something like this could as well.

Ikons

Post by Ikons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 am

I would go see a KISS cover band, but not one that dresses like KISS and tries to act like KISS. I would want them to focus on making the music sound as good as possible. Construct a really fun setlist with rarities. Play Tomorrow, play Keep Me Comin'. Maybe add some extra parts to those songs like KISS did with their staples.

Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am

andreww1962 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am
Wichita77 wrote:
andreww1962 wrote:

If Family Jewels can get an audience, something like this could as well.
Well, Family Jewels had a niche audience on a niche network, hardly big enough to change any landscapes... It's biggest episode ever didn't even attract enough viewers to out-draw other cable TV shows in its own time slot, never mind the ratings for the week overall. So, saying it had an "audience" is all relative, lol

Plus, if Family Jewels was filmed on the budget of an American Idol-type show we're talking about here, the plug would've been pulled after the first episode...
Last edited by Vandelay Industries on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

battra

Post by battra » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am

andreww1962 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 am
I think people underestimate the power of legitimacy. For instance, there are a ton of Zeppelin cover bands out there playing bars and clubs around the country. But then you have Jason Bonham doing essentially doing the same thing, only playing much larger venues. Why? Because he has a connection to the band. Once KISS is gone for a couple of years you'd be surprised at what people will accept to get that shot of nostalgia. I think in the case of KISS 2.0 there is a lot of potential for something great. I have seen several KISS cover bands and none of them have ever been great, despite having great costumes and equipment. Seems like most times the guys are old and in cheap wigs, thus usually overweight and lethargic on stage. If KISS 2.0 was done right you could potentially put a product on stage that looks and sounds identical to the original band in the late 80s. Not sure it could exist as a working/recording band, but it certainly could exist in a "beatlemania" type format.
In an Era where we have Jefferson Airplane touring w/a single founding member...and folks like my wife saying I HEARD JEFFERSON AIRPLANE PLAY WHITE RABBIT!!!!! (Not a diss, just a fact)...

We are 88% of the way to people accepting Kiss up there without any original members.

Then couple that with Kiss Die Hards being willing to accept miming to the music...

Can't find a Paul that sounds just right?

Fine.

Lip sync.

But you can't lip sync fire and makeup.

Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Wichita77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am

I don't even see an audience for a show like this.

A lot of people didn't think the EOTR tour could have an audience like it has had either.

Do I think this could be a ratings giant? No. Do I think the band would go on to be successful? No. Not every winner of American Idol has gone one to great success either... not every couple has lived happily ever after on the Bachelor either, but people are still interested in the process.

I can see it being a pretty interesting "making of a band" type of show, capitalizing off of the Kiss brand. Just like those other shows though, it won't be for everyone.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 am

Ikons wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 am
I would go see a KISS cover band, but not one that dresses like KISS and tries to act like KISS. I would want them to focus on making the music sound as good as possible. Construct a really fun setlist with rarities. Play Tomorrow, play Keep Me Comin'. Maybe add some extra parts to those songs like KISS did with their staples.
I would assume KISS 2.0 would be even less likely to stray from the safest set lists.

Coventry1973
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Coventry1973 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 am

KISS will become like Disney Land... Disney World...
I for one won't be a part of that

Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 am

battra wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am
In an Era where we have Jefferson Airplane touring w/a single founding member...and folks like my wife saying I HEARD JEFFERSON AIRPLANE PLAY WHITE RABBIT!!!!! (Not a diss, just a fact)...
Just to clarify, I don't think Jefferson Airplane tours anymore. Jefferson Starship is still out there, though. With one founding member, and one guy from the early 80's. (Paul Kantner toured with them up until his death).

shandi777

Post by shandi777 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am

No interest in the present band with 2 fakers, and no interest in a band full of fakers.

redinthesky

Post by redinthesky » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am

Wiped Out 78 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 am
battra wrote:
Just to clarify, I don't think Jefferson Airplane tours anymore. Jefferson Starship is still out there, though. With one founding member, and one guy from the early 80's. (Paul Kantner toured with them up until his death).
There was a recent show with Quiet Riot, where the only classic-lineup member, drummer Frankie Banali, couldn't play so they had a fill-in. Talk about a tribute-band farce.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 am

Wiped Out 78 wrote:
battra wrote:
One founding member is a pretty big difference compared to zero founding, or in some cases, even relevant member. The Moody Blues have been down to one founding member in Graeme Edge for a long time, but Hayward and Lodge were there from the 2nd album onward and completely reshaped that band. Still, Edge seems like he's ready for the old folks home so they'll have zero founding members eventually, but that's not the same as KISS 2.0.

WHen I think of bands with zero members I think of the managers/owners of Fleetwood Mac and the Zombies putting the name on completely unrelated bands and sending them out in the low-information age to immense backlash. Giving an old band name to a new and unrelated band was done with the New Monkees, though they made new music and didn't play the old Monkees' stuff, so that's a little different.

At any rate, I could see a KISS experience show existing on a small scale, but the idea that a group of four 20-somethings will be granted the KISS name and history and then continue on as if nothing had happened seems beyond unlikely. Taking a current mid-tier band making a debut album and putting them in makeup and calling them KISS and then telling them to put Love Gun, RARAN, Beth, and IWMFLY etc. in their shows seems plausible in the most cynical sense, though.

battra

Post by battra » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am

Wiped Out 78 wrote:
battra wrote:
You are correct.

It WAS Starship and not Airplane.

I had it in my head it was Airplane because the guy who sang for Starship was using the name.

Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am

battra wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am
Wiped Out 78 wrote:
battra wrote:
You are correct.

I had it in my head it was Airplane because the guy who sang for Starship was using the name.
It kinda proves your point, though. There are actually two versions of Jefferson Starship touring right now.

nfarend

Post by nfarend » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

In a couple of years from now a lot of us here could say: I saw the real KISS live (R U ready for the real KISS?!). I think the KISS concept could be continued in various ways but most likely a Vegas kind of show, in Las Vegas. If it's done right, there will be an audience. A touring version? Meh, don't think so. A Broadway/ West End musical type of Mama Mia / We will rock you version around the globe? Yes, most certainly!

Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Wichita77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am

Before you knock these official tribute bands, you might want to give them a shot. Especially those of you who have a problem with high ticket prices of the arena acts. You might be letting your general principals get in the way of an inexpensive good time.

I saw the Artimus Pyle Band not too long ago. He was the drummer for Skynyrd from 1975 through the plane crash, most notably on the live version of Freebird. I've also seen the official Lynyrd Skynyrd play many times until they finally got down to only one original member, being Gary Rossington. They both played full Skynyrd set and both were GREAT shows. In fact, I'd have to say I enjoyed the Artimus version every bit as much as the official tribute band.

Same with Foghat. I saw them back in the day with all the originals, and then again last year with the drummer as the only original member. FANTASTIC show. No, it didn't have the same feel as when Lonesome Dave was alive, but getting to hear that music played live and loud didn't suck.

Molly Hatchet doesn't have ANY original members now. I love that music though, so I'll go when they come through town.

If you love live and loud music, and you love this type of music, you should give it a chance. This is just the reality of all of us getting older. You can be a curmudgeon about it, or you can take the good with the bad and have some fun with it.

When Kiss 2.0 happens, I'll be there to check it out. If it sucks, oh well.

Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Wichita77 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am
Before you knock these official tribute bands, you might want to give them a shot. Especially those of you who have a problem with high ticket prices of the arena acts. You might be letting your general principals get in the way of an inexpensive good time.
I've actually seen Foghat and Mickey Thomas' Starship. Enjoyed both. And they were cheap (free, in MIckey Thomas' case).

A full blown KISS show with bombs and pyro won't be so inexpensive. Which is why it is destined to fail.

battra

Post by battra » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Wiped Out 78 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am
battra wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am
Wiped Out 78 wrote:
battra wrote:
You are correct.

It kinda proves your point, though. There are actually two versions of Jefferson Starship touring right now.

Well OK then. Why not go back to the Airplane name? I don't understand.

I saw Starship baaaaaaaack in 1994. When the Kiel Center (later Savvis Center, still later Scottrade Center, now Enterprise Center) opened, there was a concert for the construction workers who built the place and it was the first official event there.

Mike Keenan took the stage and said LET'S WIN A CUP!....

Do I count having seen 94 Starship and 2017 Jefferson Starship as having seen the same band?