Kiss Within Live Awesome

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
aceeg
Banned

Kiss Within Live Awesome

Post by aceeg »

awesome Ace sounds greta should have had Ace play on the recording. Peter sounds great too. Miss this lineup.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Kiss Within Live Awesome

Post by Bruce »

I've enjoyed all of the concert footage I've seen from the PC Tour, I really have.
The band seems to be having a lot of fun with Within and I think it's a winner, too.
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

I really enjoyed hearing that live during their PC tour 8)
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

Was outside the box for sure. Im good with it, the harmonies dont work live.
Lofton23rdSt
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

This shouldn't have been played live. Betrayed and other Gene songs got dropped, yet they played this the entire tour?
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am This shouldn't have been played live. Betrayed and other Gene songs got dropped, yet they played this the entire tour?
They did?
muzik_guy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by muzik_guy »

I think this one falls in the same bucket as Unholy. Great on record but terribly weak and lethargic live.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

muzik_guy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am I think this one falls in the same bucket as Unholy. Great on record but terribly weak and lethargic live.
Agree.
star_paul12
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by star_paul12 »

I’ve akways thought it sounded rather sluggish live. I will say however that the real standout player on the live version, at least for me, is Mr. Frehley. Ironic of course given he’s nowhere to be found on the recorded version.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

gothunder wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 am
Lofton23rdSt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am This shouldn't have been played live. Betrayed and other Gene songs got dropped, yet they played this the entire tour?
They did?
In the 80s they dropped his songs after a few nights. Not on this tour.
Shawn71
Banned

Post by Shawn71 »

Haven seen quite a few videos of this tour and was at a couple of shows. Within often was one of the better sounding songs live, although sometimes it really plods along. Could’ve been the pace it was sometimes played at or a poor mix. Maybe both. One of only a couple of tunes I like from Psycho Circus.
Engine742
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Engine742 »

I liked it. Only got to see them do it at The Dodger Stadium show. The version on the Imported PC bonus live disc is great.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

"Dreadful" would be an understatement...

Amateur hour in its finest; it's almost as if they never played together, let alone rehearsed the song.

And then, just when you think it can't possibly get any worse, Peter goes into his drum solo.

Absolute clusterf*ck, really.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

I agree, although I don't think "Betrayed" was ever a set list staple. They should've just played Alive! front to back, followed by the best of Alive II.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

What was up with that horse clomp dance thing that Paul did basically during ever song from 96 to 2001?

Cool performance, but it still sounds sort of like a rehearsal.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

Kissologist wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 am I really enjoyed hearing that live during their PC tour 8)
Me too. I think its a cool tune and something very out of the ordinary for them to play live.
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

how do you post youtube video that you can click play button?
Yiggity

Post by Yiggity »

aceeg wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 pm how do you post youtube video that you can click play button?
Copy the link from youtube and put everything after the = in the youtube brackets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

Yiggity wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm
aceeg wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 pm how do you post youtube video that you can click play button?
Copy the link from youtube and put everything after the = in the youtube brackets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
thanks
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

thanks
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Did Paul actually do that stuff that we see around 1:23 during the song? Or did someone edit that in as a joke? Crazy inappropriate dancing!
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

ManOf1000Faces wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 pm
I agree, although I don't think "Betrayed" was ever a set list staple. They should've just played Alive! front to back, followed by the best of Alive II.
It was only played once.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pmDid Paul actually do that stuff that we see around 1:23 during the song? Or did someone edit that in as a joke? Crazy inappropriate dancing!
@52:00 - 52:20

This is why they can't play Watchin' You... Uncle Bert gets overexcited.

I had forgotten all about it until recently - and for good reason, come to think of it.

:lol: :lol: 8)
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Wasn't crazy about "Within" live. Studio version was better with the dropped tuning.
Diss

Post by Diss »

Crap song, craptacular live. Not a song the original lineup should've been playing.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Thunderous_Lay wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:08 pm
BC Witch wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pmDid Paul actually do that stuff that we see around 1:23 during the song? Or did someone edit that in as a joke? Crazy inappropriate dancing!
@52:00 - 52:20

This is why they can't play Watchin' You... Uncle Bert gets overexcited.

I had forgotten all about it until recently - and for good reason, come to think of it.

:lol: :lol: 8)
OMG that was amazing. I'm actually laughing out loud. Gotta love Paul.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Sssnakester wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am
muzik_guy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am I think this one falls in the same bucket as Unholy. Great on record but terribly weak and lethargic live.
Agree.
I kind of agree, although I think this sounds far worse live than Unholy ever did. I like the studio version of Within but it has never translated well live in my opinion. And like some have said, this particular version sounds like they are playing it for the first time, although Ace did put together a pretty sweet solo.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

The only redeeming thing live about the song was the solo - but the verses and choruses just bombed in concert
PUNCHLINE

Post by PUNCHLINE »

I really like the recorded version but live it was just..average at best. Audience response was somewhat muted too> Same with Im An Animal, just killed the momentum and energy stone dead.
PassMeBy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by PassMeBy »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pm Did Paul actually do that stuff that we see around 1:23 during the song? Or did someone edit that in as a joke? Crazy inappropriate dancing!
Oh, you didn't notice the hairiest belly dancer ever, tease the crowd with his 'UGH! All Night' gyrating, at 2:12? He somehow turned that song into a Starchild mating call.
(You can thank me, later :D)

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 am I've enjoyed all of the concert footage I've seen from the PC Tour, I really have.
The band seems to be having a lot of fun with Within and I think it's a winner, too.
'Twas quite the experience. The tour seems to carry an awful rep on here buuuuuut I had an excellent evening, when I caught'em that tour. Wuddayagunnado?
Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm Wasn't crazy about "Within" live. Studio version was better with the dropped tuning.
Absolutely.
Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

I saw a couple of PC shows. None of them were good, but Within was always the lowpoint. The song never worked live and was a complete showstopper.
Ikons

Post by Ikons »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Sssnakester wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am
Agree.
I kind of agree, although I think this sounds far worse live than Unholy ever did. I like the studio version of Within but it has never translated well live in my opinion. And like some have said, this particular version sounds like they are playing it for the first time, although Ace did put together a pretty sweet solo.
Within has too many studio tricks on it to really translate live. Unholy is more "pure" in that way.

The chorus, for example. The way they layered the vocals in the chorus sounds great in the studio, but live Paul is way too present during the chorus. His voice doesn't fit the song.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I loved Unholy live & I loved Within live too

Both great songs, both songs had plenty of great performances

Good stuff!
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

PassMeBy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 am Wuddayagunnado?
I'm gonna rock out to Psycho Circus!
I'm just in the mood ...
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

Thunderous_Lay wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm "Dreadful" would be an understatement...

Amateur hour in its finest; it's almost as if they never played together, let alone rehearsed the song.

And then, just when you think it can't possibly get any worse, Peter goes into his drum solo.

Absolute clusterf*ck, really.
100%
Deadpool
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Deadpool »

I take a slightly different position on this. That was actually one of the more interesting live vids of the band that I've seen in awhile.

I mean, I can see how it could be something of a bottleneck during the show, particularly for someone in the audience who is something of a casual, is there for the hits, and doesn't know the song.

However, I rather like the fact that they come off here as a real band punching out one of their new songs that they're enjoying playing live, without too much concern whether it's a "hit" or not. Probably because it was fresh for them at the time which is actually pretty important when you're in a working band and doing x number of shows per year (s) playing the same stuff over and over. It's definitely a--dare I say welcome-- contrast to the Broadway machine that the last 10+ years have brought.

Yeah, I dug watching this and I know that it probably would have been a highlight for me had I been there, because I love fresh stuff. Even if it's not the best song pick tempo--wise, I'll take it over something that I've heard live any number of times.

And I'm not necessarily knocking that entirely, there's something to be said for comfortable predictability I suppose. But if KISS were ever to hit the road playing only songs from their catalog that had never, or rarely, been played live before, I'd be the first in line for that ticket no doubt. No, of course that ridiculous thing would never happen, probably because I'm the only guy who would show up.

Oh and yes, Ace lays down a sweet lead here. Leaving him off of most of the record was asinine on the part of whoever was responsible. Even if it was Ace himself, which may be indirectly true in some respects. But there's no reason that he couldn't have raised that record a few more notches by throwing down some of his signature work on each song.