Frehley: Why is it titled "Fractured Mirror"?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
realrocker
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Frehley: Why is it titled "Fractured Mirror"?

Post by realrocker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Kind of a peculiar topic, but I'd thought I'd give it a shot. I feel like the song title has some history to it.
Here's a passage from poffysmoviemania.com, this guy explains it perfectly:
Fractured Mirror. This instrumental closer to Frehley’s intense album creates one last spiraling breathtaking journey as it builds from a lone bell and a plucked acoustic, to counterpoint guitars, power chords, counterpoint harmonies and a guitar synthesizer from Jendell. Epic, medieval, evocative. As it fades, we are spent. We are speechless. We are won over…
And we wonder: With such a dambusting solo album, it is obvious Frehley can hold his own in the KISS camp, so is the title Fractured Mirror how Frehley sees himself in relation to the drivers of KISS? He – a hard-drinking, hard-drugging roustabout with miles of unreleased potential; they – reliable, sober businessmen who worked at the peak of their potential to take KISS to the top of the world. Is that the built-in sadness of Fractured Mirror? Are the plaintive cries of the harmony guitar synthesizers a lament of “Look how damn good I can be! Like those guys in my reflection, I too can drive a world class band… If only I was not a damaged soul, a cracked actor… a fractured mirror…”

I could've sworn I heard about a story of Peter smashing his fist into Ace's mirror after a show in '77, but maybe I'm wrong. I remember seeing the mirror up for grabs on eBay a few years back, and all I could think of was Fractured Mirror...

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Re: Frehley: Why is it titled "Fractured Mirror"?

Post by 67321 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:41 pm

8)

KrazySwede
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by KrazySwede » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 am

Well it must hurt knowing you're good enough to come up with songs of that quality, but not having the discipline to work hard enough at it to do so more consistently....or perhaps the self-belief to fight for whatever he came up that perhaps didn't make it onto the early albums. I imagine it's not easy to go up against the egos, drive and talent of Paul & Gene...

Does seem strange that he only had about six or seven songs (out of like 55 in total) on the Golden-era-KISS-albums, when given the opportunity to record a solo album, he was able to come up with eight songs of (in my ears) fully Golden Era-KISS material...

Lack of discipline, lack of self-belief....only Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter knows....

Kissologist
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Kissologist » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 am

I love that he used a "fractured mirror" motiff for his next costume after his solo album :)

realrocker
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by realrocker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Exactly, there's a serious pattern here haha
Kissologist wrote:I love that he used a "fractured mirror" motiff for his next costume after his solo album :)

HotterThanHeck
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by HotterThanHeck » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 pm

It probably sounds stupid, but I always thought it was an ode to Paul's mirrorball Iceman when I was a kid.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Kissologist wrote:I love that he used a "fractured mirror" motiff for his next costume after his solo album :)

Best of the Dynasty outfits!!! :D

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 pm

I don't know. I think it's just a nice evocative title. Probably doesn't have any deeper meaning.

DOUBLE DYNASTY

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:33 pm

It's an allusion to the car accident he was in years ago around the time of Hotter than Hell that left his face disfigured.

DOUBLE DYNASTY

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:34 pm

realrocker wrote:Kind of a peculiar topic, but I'd thought I'd give it a shot. I feel like the song title has some history to it.
Here's a passage from poffysmoviemania.com, this guy explains it perfectly:
Fractured Mirror. This instrumental closer to Frehley’s intense album creates one last spiraling breathtaking journey as it builds from a lone bell and a plucked acoustic, to counterpoint guitars, power chords, counterpoint harmonies and a guitar synthesizer from Jendell. Epic, medieval, evocative. As it fades, we are spent. We are speechless. We are won over…
And we wonder: With such a dambusting solo album, it is obvious Frehley can hold his own in the KISS camp, so is the title Fractured Mirror how Frehley sees himself in relation to the drivers of KISS? He – a hard-drinking, hard-drugging roustabout with miles of unreleased potential; they – reliable, sober businessmen who worked at the peak of their potential to take KISS to the top of the world. Is that the built-in sadness of Fractured Mirror? Are the plaintive cries of the harmony guitar synthesizers a lament of “Look how damn good I can be! Like those guys in my reflection, I too can drive a world class band… If only I was not a damaged soul, a cracked actor… a fractured mirror…”

I could've sworn I heard about a story of Peter smashing his fist into Ace's mirror after a show in '77, but maybe I'm wrong. I remember seeing the mirror up for grabs on eBay a few years back, and all I could think of was Fractured Mirror...
That mirror was sold on Ebay years ago.

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 pm

DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:It's an allusion to the car accident he was in years ago around the time of Hotter than Hell that left his face disfigured.

Source on that?

Klankh79
Banned
Banned

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 pm

2 things i know:

A: the original Fractured is so fucking good. each sequel is worse than the last. pity.
B: yes, his Plumber outfit was the coolest of the Dynasty outfits, but it still looks fucking ridiculous

:)

Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Hi I'm Witz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:22 am

I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying this but I'm not fond of Ace's "instrumental" tracks. While I agree that Fractured is definitely his strongest one, they all suffer from the same problem. They are all painfully repetitive with very little variation. They're all basically the same riff over and over and over again. They don't sound like instrumentals. They sound like they were supposed to be regular songs with lyrics but the vocals were mixed out of them.

Deuce Frehley

Post by Deuce Frehley » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:27 am

Ace dropped a coke mirror.

Klankh79
Banned
Banned

Post by Klankh79 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:48 am

Hi I'm Witz wrote:I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying this but I'm not fond of Ace's "instrumental" tracks. While I agree that Fractured is definitely his strongest one, they all suffer from the same problem. They are all painfully repetitive with very little variation. They're all basically the same riff over and over and over again. They don't sound like instrumentals. They sound like they were supposed to be regular songs with lyrics but the vocals were mixed out of them.
i agree. the original is good, but the rest are very derivative.....which can work (Hangar 18/Return to Hangar - MegaDeth)....but in this case he took something simple and effective and beat it into the ground thru repetition......i really only like the original.

rewind84

Post by rewind84 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

I thought it was about cocaine

realrocker
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by realrocker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Deuce Frehley wrote:Ace dropped a coke mirror.
Exactly :lol:

Velvis
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Velvis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 pm

I always thought it was because of the repeating guitar through out the song. Like it was mirroring the sounds.

DOUBLE DYNASTY

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 pm

In the Suds wrote:
DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:It's an allusion to the car accident he was in years ago around the time of Hotter than Hell that left his face disfigured.

Source on that?
It's something I've always "known", however if you're looking for a link to a quote by Ace about it, I'm sorry but I admit I cannot provide that for you. You are free to doubt it, but if you look within yourself, you will find it to be true.

LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:35 pm

DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:
In the Suds wrote:

Source on that?
It's something I've always "known", however if you're looking for a link to a quote by Ace about it, I'm sorry but I admit I cannot provide that for you. You are free to doubt it, but if you look within yourself, you will find it to be true.
:?

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:15 pm

DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:You are free to doubt it, but if you look within yourself, you will find it to be true.
That's like... deep dude woah!

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:29 am

HotterThanHeck wrote:It probably sounds stupid, but I always thought it was an ode to Paul's mirrorball Iceman when I was a kid.
Pretty sure the mirror Iceman entered the picture after the solo albums (he played a plain black one during Love Gun & Alive II), so that would have to be the other way round.

Or maybe it was an ode to the Crazy Nights album cover? :wink:

realrocker
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by realrocker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:04 am

I'll check on this one. Sounds pretty accurate to me. I want to say he discusses it in his book No Regrets

LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 am

realrocker wrote:
I'll check on this one. Sounds pretty accurate to me. I want to say he discusses it in his book No Regrets
I don't think it says anything about it in his book. Might say something in Behind the Mask.

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:28 am

Erwin wrote:
DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:You are free to doubt it, but if you look within yourself, you will find it to be true.
That's what the Double D really stands for: Doubly Deep.

Malibu Trash
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Malibu Trash » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:36 am

Hi I'm Witz wrote:I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying this but I'm not fond of Ace's "instrumental" tracks. While I agree that Fractured is definitely his strongest one, they all suffer from the same problem. They are all painfully repetitive with very little variation. They're all basically the same riff over and over and over again. They don't sound like instrumentals. They sound like they were supposed to be regular songs with lyrics but the vocals were mixed out of them.
I totally agree! It's the one song on Ace's solo album I skip all the time!

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Erwin wrote:
That's what the Double D really stands for: Doubly Deep.
Doubly Deep Dude

Deeply Dippy

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGYXGnSeBM