FTR 2016 Show #26 - Springfield, IL - Aug. 17

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

FTR 2016 Show #26 - Springfield, IL - Aug. 17

Post by Admin »

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the set list, report live from the show!

Stats will be archived here:
http://www.kissmonster.com/tourdates/2016/2016-0817.php
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: FTR 2016 Show #26 - Springfield, IL - Aug. 17

Post by pepperkitty »

Driving up from Atlanta Ga. to see the gig and some family.
Grew up in Central Illinois and left a long time ago ...
Last time I saw KISS in Springfield was at the PCCC on the Creatures Tour with the Plasmatics opening!
Hopefully the weather cooperates , as it is a outdoor gig. Also hope we get the full stage production with the risers and Paul and Gene's flying sticks.
It is "Governors Day" at the fair, so I bet the " Kiss Day in Illinois" or "keys to the city" presentation will be in order.
I'll be wearing my own made shirt with a Kiss Kow ( the fair is known for a butter cow ) so if ya see me, say "hey".
We have tickets in the VIP pit area and hope to locate on stage left. ( Paul's side )
mojavebassman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mojavebassman »

30 years ago my oldest brother took me to my first concert on the Asylum tour in Springfield. Going with him on Wednesday. Weather should be clear and it will be a fun time!
parasitestudios
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by parasitestudios »

Big concern about the track being pure mud. I have pit tickets too
so I'm hoping the rain stops today and we get decent weather so
it can dry out. There's still talk of moving/cancelling.
mojavebassman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mojavebassman »

Hope it's not cancelled. Wonder where they could move it at this point. Depending on ticket sales, would the PCCC work? Maybe it'll be sunny the next couple of days and dry the track.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

mojavebassman wrote:Hope it's not cancelled. Wonder where they could move it at this point. Depending on ticket sales, would the PCCC work? Maybe it'll be sunny the next couple of days and dry the track.
Right now we're in the ~6,500 range. It's not my neck of the woods so what venues in the area could accommodate that spectrum?
mojavebassman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mojavebassman »

Prairie Capitol Convention Center in Soringfield could probably handle that number. Otherwise, it would be Bloomington or Peoria.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

mojavebassman wrote:Prairie Capitol Convention Center in Soringfield could probably handle that number. Otherwise, it would be Bloomington or Peoria.
A quick search tells me if you set it up end stage it falls in the ~6,000 range. Without seating behind the stage I don't think it'll fit. Maybe.
Attachments
image.gif
mojavebassman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mojavebassman »

You're really close! I looked up the last time they played there and 6238 was the estimated crowd. And it may have been a sellout.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

mojavebassman wrote:You're really close! I looked up the last time they played there and 6238 was the estimated crowd. And it may have been a sellout.
I know a thing or two about a thing or two. :D

I'm getting pretty good at this.
Blackwaterrisin
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Blackwaterrisin »

I've been following what's been happening with the weather and the fair and I don't think that moving the show is a possibility.
The Pat Benetar/Melissa Etheridge show on Friday was cancelled due to rain but the Meghan Trainor show the next night went
on as planned. (Reported attendance 11,100. more than KISS. DOOMED!!!)
It rained all day yesterday but according to local news if it stays dry,tonight's Dierks Bentley/Tucker Beathard show will happen.

From The State Journal Register
Monday night’s music performance by New Odyssey was moved from the Grandstand to the Lincoln Stage, which is a covered stage with covered seating. But that won’t happen Tuesday night with country performers Dierks Bentley and Tucker Beathard, Clark said.
“You can’t do that with a one of the big county or rock concerts,” she said, because of all of the production equipment involved and the much larger crowd that is expected Tuesday night.
Clark said a decision on the status of Tuesday’s night’s concert should be made by 6 p.m. The Grandstand track is very muddy, she said, but a concert could still be held even if the track were off-limits for standing-room-only ticketholders.

Here are some links to stories from the Spingfield press. Nothing specific about the KISS show
but they at least made me more confident that,barring more extreme weather, the show will happen on Wednesday.

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20160815/rain- ... g-canceled

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20160814/illin ... r-flooding
Tymaster
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Tymaster »

nibbler1982 wrote:
mojavebassman wrote:You're really close! I looked up the last time they played there and 6238 was the estimated crowd. And it may have been a sellout.

I'm doing 120 and it feels like I'm standing still 'cause my eyes have no reference to judge it by. NOBODY on the road and fields as far as I can see. I brought two Coors Light talls with me so I had something to do. I could funnel two talls and jump immediately behind the wheel and still be out of reach of the long arm of the law. Shotguning those two. I'm also well aware an open container is illegal. It wouldn't be the first or the last time I've done it. To be honest, when I crack my first brew at M9 on the Meadowbrook Parkway...on my way, it's a heavenly experience. With that first sip it's the 80's all over again for a minute or two. Great times.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Tymaster wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

I'm doing 120 and it feels like I'm standing still 'cause my eyes have no reference to judge it by. NOBODY on the road and fields as far as I can see. I brought two Coors Light talls with me so I had something to do. I could funnel two talls and jump immediately behind the wheel and still be out of reach of the long arm of the law. Shotguning those two. I'm also well aware an open container is illegal. It wouldn't be the first or the last time I've done it. To be honest, when I crack my first brew at M9 on the Meadowbrook Parkway...on my way, it's a heavenly experience. With that first sip it's the 80's all over again for a minute or two. Great times.
I'm not sure what you're doing Ty. It appears you're a bit obsessed with me. It's getting a little Play Misty.

1. What does one of my quotes have to do with the other?
2. Why would you post them?
mojavebassman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mojavebassman »

Country show is a go tonight so tomorrow at the grandstand should happen.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
Tymaster wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're doing Ty. It appears you're a bit obsessed with me. It's getting a little Play Misty.

1. What does one of my quotes have to do with the other?
2. Why would you post them?
Actually Ty, after reading it again I just realized you cut and pasted a bunch of separate quotes of mine and added them altogether. It doesn't even make sense. Totally devoid of any style, wit, or smarm. You're obsession with me is creepy.

So childish. Anything for the attention you never got I suppose.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

I will be there......
Blackwaterrisin
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Blackwaterrisin »

pepperkitty wrote: I'll be wearing my own made shirt with a Kiss Kow ( the fair is known for a butter cow ) so if ya see me, say "hey".
I like that shirt. I'd buy it before I'd buy any of the FTR t-shirts.
daltonic1

Post by daltonic1 »

so how was it?
chadb2448
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chadb2448 »

daltonic1 wrote:so how was it?
I was there with my brother - sat in the middle of the grandstand a little more than halfway up. The general admission area (dirt track) was packed. I never did look at the grandstand fully, but in the days leading up to the show, the sides still had availability with the middle areas sold out. I will say, this concert experience was one of the easiest I've been involved with - ingress to the fairgrounds was seamless with no delays. Beer lines? None. Using the restroom a couple times - there was hardly a soul in the restroom which was eery for a concert. Yet there were tons of people there!

Kiss came on the stage at 9 pm sharp with Detroit Rock City and ended it just past 10:30 pm after the Pledge of Allegiance and Star Spangled Banner and finally RNRAN. Paul invited the military roadie for a day up along with the Springfield mayor and the state comptroller, who gave a statement on behalf of the governor Bruce Rauner. Paul at one point sounded as if the governor was going to take the mic, but the governor wasn't there. When Rauner's name was mentioned, the crowd booed big-time (IL's financial state is in mess). The band got the key to the city from the mayor and Paul quipped "I hope they don't change the locks on us."

Paul's voice wasn't the best, but it was steamy day in the heartland so maybe that had something to do with it.

My favorite couple songs were Shock Me and Cold Gin in the middle of the set. Flaming Youth was still in the setlist and sounded good.

Gene, Eric and Tommy really carry the band now days. It pains me to say this, but Paul is the weakest link most likely.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

marcx
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by marcx »

Did they have the full stage show--risers etc? I am going to the Allentown state faire show on 9/1 and I'm wondering about that....
chadb2448
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chadb2448 »

marcx wrote:Did they have the full stage show--risers etc? I am going to the Allentown state faire show on 9/1 and I'm wondering about that....
Eric's set was on a riser and was in the air when the curtain dropped. The others, no risers. Video screen behind the drums and two video screens off to the sides of the stage.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

just got back to Ga. sorry i had no internet at my granny's house to post a review.
we got to the fair early and saw some of the cattle and horse expos. feed some horses and milked a cow. walked around the fair and me and my brother kidded with each other that it was like the day of "the phantom of the park". we kept waiting to here the "tonight, KISS in concert" over the daily announcements but never did. so i would do it every now and then to get a heckle out of him. watched some of the horse racing and it was at the grandstands of the concert. watched some of the build of the production and could tell we would not be get the risers or any flying. though disappointing we had vip pit tickets and new the view would be great regardless. as the day went on, folks in KISS shirts could be seen walking around and every now and then someone asked where i got my shirt ( Kiss Kow) told them i made them and plenty was interested so i gave out a few cards. as the show got closer fans in make-up started to arrive and you could feel the excitement start to build. i found it funny and very bold there was 2 guys bootlegging shirts rite outside of the grandstand entrance! as we entered a state trooper asked me about my shirt and i told him i made 4 (me-brother-wife and a extra) and that it gave me a 1 out of 3 chance of finding myself after the show. he laughed and said to have a great time. Dead Daises came on around 740. the sounded good but IMO was a total generic bore. after 4 songs we went to look at the merch and score some beers. the merch table was very busy but had nothing of interest to me. shirts $30 - $50.
couldn't tell if anything was on the table due to people blocking the view. after DD was over we took a great view stance on Gene's side. Nothing new to report on the set list.
IMO flaming youth was AWESOME to hear live! the band seemed to be having a lot of fun and Paul's purple guitar is killer looking. me and my brother also had a drinking game that every time Paul said "Springfield" we had to drink. we drank a lot! tommy sang shock me so we went on a beer run. E sang Beth and it went over well but seemed off to me. the mayor came out with the key to Springfield (drink) and was fired up and then someone from the Gov. came out and didn't seem to be very popular.
RARAN was awesome with the fireworks! all in all we had a blast!. even without the full staging , the band sounded great, the set list worked for me and to see them up very close made it even better.
took some video but there is plenty of others on youtube
highlights ---
Flaming Youth - Do You Love Me - God of Thunder - Black Diamond - RaRaN
got one of Paul's Picks
hanging with my brother and wife and also some very cool Kiss Army Fans
hopefully they add some shows to the south later in the year as i would not hesitate to see them again and i believe would put me in the 40th show club.