I Love It Loud Live Question

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Post Reply
Homer Simpson
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9091
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Springfield

I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Homer Simpson »

It's generally been accepted here that the reason part of the second verse to I Love It Loud was dropped because Paul thought the song dragged.

Has there ever been an interview where Paul (or anyone else) said this or is it just speculation on our part.
User avatar
khan_tusion
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by khan_tusion »

In Kiss Alive Forever it says (page 121)

"The alleged reason for editing the song was that it was not a particular favorite of Paul's; he thought the song dragged and suggested it would be improved if the verse were shortened."

No interview or source is mentioned.
User avatar
Deleted User 6104

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Deleted User 6104 »

I never heard of this before.
User avatar
Cold Gin Lover
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 am
Location: No Escape From This Island

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Cold Gin Lover »

Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
redinthesky
Banned
Banned
Posts: 28644
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by redinthesky »

I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."
Homer Simpson
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9091
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Homer Simpson »

khan_tusion wrote:No interview or source is mentioned.
Exactly. I know people have come to accept this---and it may very well be true---but I've never seen any interview where this was said.
User avatar
khan_tusion
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by khan_tusion »

Again according to KAF they shortened the song from the fifth show of the COTN tour on.
User avatar
Strutter67
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10036
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Strutter67 »

I have always wondered this too. It's one short verse. No reason to cut it. Doesn't shorten the song enough to even mention.
User avatar
Robdaddy
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4485
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: Gymnasium

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Robdaddy »

redinthesky wrote:I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I don't know what to belive here in regards to ILIL. I've heard and read for YEARS now that Paul didn't care for it, etc. I've also heard and read that Gene is no fan of the song "Love Gun", but good luck EVER getting Paul to change or drop his favorite song.

I'd MUCH rather have the complete version of ILIL if the song is played in concert. Someone needed to tell Paul long ago that 1) I Still Love You isn't that great of a song, and 2) he needs to stop dragging that thing out and just get it over with already. So much time wasted on that damn song. Paul acts like it's some kind of epic...some master composition...and it's NEITHER.
Crimson Harpoon
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 17503
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Crimson Harpoon »

Robdaddy wrote:
redinthesky wrote:I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I don't know what to belive here in regards to ILIL. I've heard and read for YEARS now that Paul didn't care for it, etc. I've also heard and read that Gene is no fan of the song "Love Gun", but good luck EVER getting Paul to change or drop his favorite song.

I'd MUCH rather have the complete version of ILIL if the song is played in concert. Someone needed to tell Paul long ago that 1) I Still Love You isn't that great of a song, and 2) he needs to stop dragging that thing out and just get it over with already. So much time wasted on that damn song. Paul acts like it's some kind of epic...some master composition...and it's NEITHER.
In all honesty, I think I Still Love You is one of Paul's best songs, and is easily his best love song. On the other hand, I Love it Loud is one song I always find myself sitting down during.
User avatar
Crazy Crazy Mike
Posts: 4688
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:33 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Crazy Crazy Mike »

I disagree with Paul on this one.
User avatar
Deleted User 1340

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Deleted User 1340 »

I always figured it was because he would eventually forget the lyrics or jumble them up.
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 23046
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Anomaly »

Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
User avatar
Cold Gin Lover
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 am
Location: No Escape From This Island

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Cold Gin Lover »

Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Are you saying this because Paul is above such petty jealousy, or because you feel the song is a turd?
:lol:
User avatar
Australia1980
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22754
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Australia1980 »

Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album
User avatar
meatloaf
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by meatloaf »

They did the whole thing with the missing verse during the 1996 KISS Konvention, presumably Paul told everyone about it during those shows.
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 23046
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Anomaly »

Australia1980 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album
I'd think if that were the case for the jealously he'd get back at him by cutting War Machine, the majority of the setlists from that tour had two songs from Gene and Paul in the set off of COTN. Don't think cutting twenty seconds of a song sounds like something Paul would do. Yeah, he's petty, but that's stretching it.
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned
Posts: 9073
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by TheSphinx »

Australia1980 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album

Not exactly accurate. Gene had both lead off singles. COTN and then in some other parts of the world... KILLER.

Killer should have been released as the 2nd single in the states with a live performance video.
User avatar
Wildwood75
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3864
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:24 am
Location: Philly Rock City

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Wildwood75 »

TheSphinx wrote:
Australia1980 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album

Not exactly accurate. Gene had both lead off singles. COTN and then in some other parts of the world... KILLER.

Killer should have been released as the 2nd single in the states with a live performance video.

Creatures of the Night, the lead track, should have been released as a single. ILIL should be retired for now in KISS' set.
User avatar
PUNCHLINE
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9051
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: Earth

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by PUNCHLINE »

Anomaly wrote: Don't think cutting twenty seconds of a song sounds like something Paul would do. Yeah, he's petty, but that's stretching it.
Thats EXACTLY the sort of thing Paul would do.
Its petty and would have given Paul a little victory of sorts in his own head.
User avatar
BootlegHuntr
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:52 pm
Contact:

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by BootlegHuntr »

redinthesky wrote:I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."
This sums it up for me as well. ILIL is probably in my top ten KISS tunes.
User avatar
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9268
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by banks »

What Stanley wants wants wants Stanley gets gets gets.
Hey Stan!
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Hey Stan! »

BootlegHuntr wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:58 am
redinthesky wrote:I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."
This sums it up for me as well. ILIL is probably in my top ten KISS tunes.
I've been hearing various live versions of ILIL (over and over again....) on Unholy Radio and was reminded that they always drop the second Costanza of the second verse. Sure enough there's an old thread about it.

It's interesting that Paul allegedly dislikes the song considering that ILIL just might be better than any song Paul ever wrote after 1982. Hell, maybe after 1978.
wjs296
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:15 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by wjs296 »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm I think there were a few shows early on the whole song was played, maybe before Paul got pissy. If Paul thought the extra verse hurt the song live, that'd be odd considering all the tours he put the crowd to sleep dragging out "I Still Love You."
I Still Love You was the perfect beer run/bathroom break. It's not a bad song but it was not the best choice for the setlist. Paul must have really loved it to keep it for so long. It certainly did allow him to show off his vocal chops and he was awesome in those days.
User avatar
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Going Blind »

Paul apparently just does not like the song. When you watch Kiss lip-sync the song on tv shows, Paul is totally goofing around the whole time. I have also heard that Gene can't stand Love Gun.
User avatar
Ace of Bass
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Ace of Bass »

Ever since “Love Gun” became the song where Paul flies out to the B-stage, it feels like it drags on for ten minutes. Funny that the song Gene allegedly grew tired of gets longer, meanwhile we had to trim half a verse from “I Love It Loud”.

I say this as a big fan of “Love Gun”.
User avatar
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5077
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:36 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by caligari »

I wonder if anyone has all 5 times it was played in full recorded in one manner or another?

The reasons I ask?

The structure of it is odd

Verse
Chorus
Verse

VERSE

Chorus
solo
Verse
Chorus

Is it possible that Paul or Gene would perhaps “zone out” live and mess it up by going to the 2nd Chorus too quick?

Was it too much of a word jumble for Gene?

I noticed it the first time I saw them Live on the Lick it Up Tour and thought it was a mistake... but 2 months later I heard the King Biscuit Flour Hour Nashville Concert on the radio - and they did it again. At that point I figured they did it on purpose so that IT KEPT EVERY THING “even” and more traditional and “natural” feeling so that they wouldn’t zone out and make a mistake. Just my two cents, and a different view than trying to retroactively vilify Paul based on his “personality”.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9367
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Mr Slow »

It’s exactly 10 seconds of the song. Seems like a strange thing to do in the grand scheme of things.
User avatar
steveh67
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by steveh67 »

I think the song got overplayed as a LIVE track.

Gene dropped GOT during the 80s and early 90s for this track at one point.
User avatar
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9268
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by banks »

banks wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 am What Stanley wants wants wants Stanley gets gets gets.
I thought this was a new thread until I noticed this amazingly dumb comment from me. Must have been listening to Welcome 2 My Nightmare.
User avatar
Dankiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Dankiss »

caligari wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm I wonder if anyone has all 5 times it was played in full recorded in one manner or another?

The reasons I ask?

The structure of it is odd

Verse
Chorus
Verse

VERSE

Chorus
solo
Verse
Chorus

Is it possible that Paul or Gene would perhaps “zone out” live and mess it up by going to the 2nd Chorus too quick?

Was it too much of a word jumble for Gene?

I noticed it the first time I saw them Live on the Lick it Up Tour and thought it was a mistake... but 2 months later I heard the King Biscuit Flour Hour Nashville Concert on the radio - and they did it again. At that point I figured they did it on purpose so that IT KEPT EVERY THING “even” and more traditional and “natural” feeling so that they wouldn’t zone out and make a mistake. Just my two cents, and a different view than trying to retroactively vilify Paul based on his “personality”.
Thank you, brother!
User avatar
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14238
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by KISSFACE »

Strutter67 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm I have always wondered this too. It's one short verse. No reason to cut it. Doesn't shorten the song enough to even mention.
They could have kept the verse and dropped a few rounds of chorusing to compensate. But i can believe Gene would be getting the verses mixed up, too. I'd like to hear those early live performances to see if that happened.
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6443
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Tito »

The theory of Paul "just not liking the song" doesn't hold water. If that were the case, the song would not have been there throughout the decades and you know it.
User avatar
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9268
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by banks »

Tito wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 am The theory of Paul "just not liking the song" doesn't hold water. If that were the case, the song would not have been there throughout the decades and you know it.
In the late 80's Gene said in an interview that he disagrees on little things with Paul, like he didn't like Love Gun and Paul didn't like ILIL. So Paul didn't like it at least initially, but that sure doesn't mean that it's the reason for the missing verse.
User avatar
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14238
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by KISSFACE »

I remember them summing it up this way:
"You write stupid songs!"
"No, You write stupid songs!"
ImAnAnimal
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by ImAnAnimal »

A long time ago, even before the great KISS Alive Forever book, I did a comparison of the ILIL versions on the Creatures tour. As it turns out, they actually shortened the song -TWICE- although the second one was not very revolutionary...
The first three recordings I have (Sioux City, Rockford, Terre Haute) have the "long" lyrics (see below).
At the show in Charleston (1/4/1983) they removed "Verse 4" and "Chorus 3".
From 2/1/1983 (Knoxville) on, they also removed one of the very last choruses (Chorus 6), so at the end only one chorus was left (with "Turn it up..." at the end).

Hey yeah - Hey yeah - Hey Yeah - Hey Yeah

(Verse 1)
Stand up, you don't have to be afraid - Get down, love is like a hurricane
Street boy, no I never could be tamed - Better believe it

(Verse 2)
Guilty 'till I'm proven innocent - Whiplash, heavy metal accident
Rock on, I wanna be president

(Chorus 1)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

(Verse 3)
Turn it up, hungry for the medicine - Two fisted 'till the very end
No more treated like aliens - We're not gonna take it

(Verse 4)
No lies, no more alibis - Turn it up, got me hypnotized
Rock on, won't be tranquilized

(Chorus 2)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

(Chorus 3)
I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

Hey yeah - Hey yeah - Hey Yeah - Hey Yeah
Hey yeah - Hey yeah - Hey Yeah - Hey Yeah

(solo)

(Verse 5)
Headlines jungle is the only rule
Front page roar of the nation cool
Turn it up, this is my attitude, take it or leave it

(Chorus 4)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

(Chorus 5)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

Hey yeah - Hey yeah - Hey Yeah - Hey Yeah
Hey yeah - Hey yeah - Hey Yeah - Hey Yeah

(Chorus 6)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Don't want no compromise

(Chorus 7)
Cause I love it Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Right between the eyes
Loud, I wanna hear it loud - Turn it up
User avatar
rwgriffith
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by rwgriffith »

banks wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 am
banks wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 am What Stanley wants wants wants Stanley gets gets gets.
I thought this was a new thread until I noticed this amazingly dumb comment from me. Must have been listening to Welcome 2 My Nightmare.
I got that while reading through these comments. Yes. Pretty funny! 😆
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10293
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by jannep17 »

TheSphinx wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 pm
Australia1980 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album

Not exactly accurate. Gene had both lead off singles. COTN and then in some other parts of the world... KILLER.

Killer should have been released as the 2nd single in the states with a live performance video.
I bought the Killer single, when the album came out I realized it was a weird choice for the single. The title track or War Machine would have been more logical choices.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9367
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Mr Slow »

Tito wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 am The theory of Paul "just not liking the song" doesn't hold water. If that were the case, the song would not have been there throughout the decades and you know it.
Yeah this is true. Many of these “must play” songs are part of the set not because any of them were hits but because the band made them “must play” songs and now we all just expect them to be there. Detroit Rock City, Shout It Out Loud, War Machine, I Love It Loud, Black Diamond, Love Gun, Psycho Circus etc.

If Paul had hated I Love It Loud that much they would have canned it after the CREATURES tour.
User avatar
Hotter Than Heck
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm
Location: Detroit Rock City

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Wildwood75 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am
TheSphinx wrote:
Australia1980 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Cold Gin Lover wrote:Strange.
ILIL is one of Gene's best songs regardless of era. Maybe Paul was jealous?
Don't see any reason why he'd be jealous.
Maybe because Gene had the lone single (& music video) on the COTN album

Not exactly accurate. Gene had both lead off singles. COTN and then in some other parts of the world... KILLER.

Killer should have been released as the 2nd single in the states with a live performance video.

Creatures of the Night, the lead track, should have been released as a single. ILIL should be retired for now in KISS' set.
I wish they would have done a video for each of these after Ace left & Vin was on board
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned
Posts: 9073
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by TheSphinx »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:00 pm I bought the Killer single, when the album came out I realized it was a weird choice for the single. The title track or War Machine would have been more logical choices.

I think it should have been the lead off single everywhere. My fave when I first got COTN.

It was the perfect song to showcase KISS new sound.... the metal n roll.


KERRANG REVIEW
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
joma5477
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by joma5477 »

Heavier than anything since Destroyer? Ya don't say! Destroyer was heavy AF! My favorite heavy KISS tunes gotta be Great Expectations and Beth...

:roll:
User avatar
KissJJM
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: The midnight train going anywhere

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by KissJJM »

I tend to believe the Paul didn't care for it & shortened it story I mean look at it I was made for loving you Gene can't stand it , hates it but it's always in the set. Just because someone doesn't like the song doesn't negate the fact that I love it loud was the single and a huge crowd song and Paul knows it and knew it had to be in the set
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6443
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Tito »

KissJJM wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:47 am I tend to believe the Paul didn't care for it & shortened it story I mean look at it I was made for loving you Gene can't stand it , hates it but it's always in the set. Just because someone doesn't like the song doesn't negate the fact that I love it loud was the single and a huge crowd song and Paul knows it and knew it had to be in the set
"Just because someone" is different from "just because Paul Stanley". :wink: The fact that it was a single wouldn't be a factor either, there were singles that they never played live (which was always something of a head scratcher).

"Nothing happens in KISS without Paul Stanley saying, 'Yay.' ... If Paul doesn't want to do something, we're not doing it."
- Eric Singer 2018
DDave_ca
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:01 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by DDave_ca »

I believe Gene confirmed the reason the verse was dropped when he used to answer letters on his website. From memory - he said “Good question. Paul is not overly fond of the song”.
Hey Stan!
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by Hey Stan! »

DDave_ca wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:27 am I believe Gene confirmed the reason the verse was dropped when he used to answer letters on his website. From memory - he said “Good question. Paul is not overly fond of the song”.
Paul has the uncanny ability, and tendency, to take Great!....and totally ruin it.
FlyingInA747
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by FlyingInA747 »

caligari wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm I wonder if anyone has all 5 times it was played in full recorded in one manner or another?

The reasons I ask?

The structure of it is odd

Verse
Chorus
Verse

VERSE

Chorus
solo
Verse
Chorus

Is it possible that Paul or Gene would perhaps “zone out” live and mess it up by going to the 2nd Chorus too quick?
This is why I always assumed it was changed. The first 2 verses have 8 lines each, but the 3rd verse has only 4 lines. That would be really confusing to remember, so it made more sense to just cut the last verse.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 am

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by tazchris »

Paul lags on 100000yrs way more than that verse of ILIL would ever lag.
acevog75
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2383
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Re: I Love It Loud Live Question

Post by acevog75 »

Was never a fan of this song in a live setting. To be honest, a lot of the 80’s songs lost their vibe when played live. It never really sounded like the studio version, but really, how could it? Lots of gang vocals, big production, and a lot of the time there were other players on the songs, especially Gene’s bass parts.
Post Reply