N.American Monster #20 - St. Johns, 8/4/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #20 - St. Johns, 8/4/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: N.American Monster #20 - St. Johns, 8/4/13

Post by Shane_Penney »

I'm there, dude.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Advertisement in "The Scope", a free local entertainment newspaper.
Attachments
IMG_3798.jpg
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Also, there is a large rotating add for the shows on a billboard in the east end of the city. To anyone who is familiar with the city, it's out on Torbay road near the Stavanger Drive area. It's the same as the add that I put up a few weeks back in this thread.

They must be making a push to sell those final seats for the second show.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Will be there.
phantom_demon
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by phantom_demon »

Will be there! : )
MONSTER Magnet
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MONSTER Magnet »

:mrgreen:
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Very loose show, lots of little glitches but in a funny way. Paul was all flustered. Lots of laughing onstage. Crowd more subdued, IMO and slightly smaller than Sat night. I'd say it was 85% full. Only a few empty seats in the very back corners.

Band was tight and played very well.

They had cancelled the meet and greet but for the few of us who had set for it, they refunded all the money and did multiple pics with us. I thought it was very fair, and all the radio contestants etc; had to wait until we were done. Rushed, but I was happy with that.

Too bed I go.
Last edited by Evo999 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Tonight's performance was a lot looser. Even though I liked it, I thought last night was better.

It seemed as though they got almost completely lost in the middle of "War Machine", and it almost fell apart. I have no idea who messed it up. Tommy missed his cue for "Calling Dr Love", and Paul proceeded to have a good laugh at the situation. Paul might have been pissed, but it certainly seemed like the whole band took it in stride. Once the solo spots began, the show improved greatly, That being said, everyone that I spoke to enjoyed themselves a lot. I truly do think that we are very hard on the band, because everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Again, 90% casual fans. A group behind me asked one of the gentlemen nearby what that opening song was. He stated, "Psycho Circus". All 4 of them gave him a blank stare. But, they did enjoy the song.

No setlist change

Gene, again, was MVP. The Tommy and Eric solo spot got quite a few cheers. They were solid, aside from the missed cue. Paul was Paul, and was a bit better last night.
shupey

Post by shupey »

Evo999 wrote:Very loose show, lots of little glitches but in a funny way. Paul was all flustered. Lots of laughing onstage. Crowd more subdued, IMO and slightly smaller than Sat night. I'd say it was 85% full. Only a few empty seats in the very back corners.

They had cancelled the meet and greet but for the few of us who had set for it, they refunded all the money and did multiple pics with us. I thought it was very fair, and all the radio contestants etc; had to wait until we were done. Rushed, but I was happy with that.

Too bed I go.
Meet & Greet was cancelled but you still got pictures taken? Can you elaborate?
futon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by futon »

shupey wrote:
Evo999 wrote:Very loose show, lots of little glitches but in a funny way. Paul was all flustered. Lots of laughing onstage. Crowd more subdued, IMO and slightly smaller than Sat night. I'd say it was 85% full. Only a few empty seats in the very back corners.

Too bed I go.
Meet & Greet was cancelled but you still got pictures taken? Can you elaborate?
They said St.John's was the first city they did it forM&G cancelled but because we did buy one you got the oic with band. I was happy with.
Shane's assessment of the show was spot on, and they do seem to be enjoying themselves, tho Gene seemed somewhat perturbed at times. Added bonus, I caught a Paul guitar pick. :)
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2 ... ock-city/1

KISS makes St. John’s rock city

It wouldn’t surprise me if St. John’s city council had an emergency vote on roof repairs for Mile One because KISS blew the lid off the place Sunday night.

I joke, of course, but if there ever was a show to wreck the rafters and release the rivets, it was this one.

There were explosions. Lots and lots of explosions.

And lots and lots of pyro.

And a whole lot of other things that made it a one-of-a-kind, over-the-top rock spectacle.

The band landed on stage playing on a monstrous mechanical spider, that did all sorts things throughout the show.

They kicked it off with the song “Psycho Circus” and proceeded to rock ‘n’ roll all nite, delivering a set that mixed most of their popular stuff with a few new ones.

While the music rocked, but was not for everyone, the show wowed the entire audience, which included bassist Gene Simmons’ wife, Newfoundland-born Shannon Tweed, and their daughter, Sophie Tweed-Simmons.

Besides the explosions, guitars fired like guns, singer/guitarist Paul Stanley sailed over the crowd, and Simmons ascended to the rafters atop the spider, spitting blood and singing his signature “God of Thunder.”

And that’s just the bottom of the platform boot.

The show was packed with too many things to list.

A colleague who KISS’s first show at Mile One Saturday night rightly described it as “a comic book come to life, the rock concerts of old, revived.”

KISS ended that revival with a blizzard of confetti, more explosions, and the song “Rock and Roll All Nite.”
When the band said goodnight, there was a huge sign at the back of the stage that said something to the effect of “KISS loves St. John’s.”

Judging from the smiles on the faces of the crowd after the show, St. John’s loved KISS, too.

Email Steve Bartlett, a life-long KISS fan, at sbartlett@thetelegram.com. On Twitter, he’s @TelegramSteve.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://theindependent.ca/2013/08/04/kis ... -and-hits/

KISS revs crowd with stage antics, pyrotechnics and hits -

Four decades later, the members of one of America's most renowned hard rock bands may be middle-aged, but they still know how to put on a show.

By: Samm Joyy Aug 4, 2013

The stadium was almost full as Florida rock band Shinedown began their opening set.
The band played a handful of songs from their 2008 album The Sound of Madness, and Second Chance – the second single from that album – was a big hit with the audience. The band had a good stage presence, and though it was clear the crowd was somewhat impatient as they waited for KISS, lead singer Brent Smith was able to generate some support and applause. Smith ended their set by pumping up the crowd for KISS, saying “Rock and roll is no genre of music, rock and roll is a way of life.”

Shortly after the intermission lights came up, KISS lead singer Gene Simmons’ wife and daughter, Shannon and Sophie, guided the VIP ticket holders to their seats and were greeted with a fair bit of attention. Probably noticing that the crowd was getting restless, Shannon stood on a step and took a video of the audience, getting each section to cheer loudly.
Then the lights went out, the curtain fell, and KISS emerged. A notable entrance, the band members were lowered to the stage from the top of a giant metal spider that was one of the main pieces of their stage setup. Amidst the spider’s rotating arms, smoke machines and lighting, KISS started their set with a bang.

The first few songs were fairly entertaining. The band members paraded across the stage in silver get-ups and face paint, as fire shot off in the background and smoke surrounded their feet. To their credit, the band members are all over the age of 50, so it was impressive that they made it to about the fifth song before the audience could tell they were getting tired. To distract from that detail, the band was very clever.

At one point, Simmons was the only one on stage. He captured the audience with his well known bloody tongue and demon eyes act. Then, attached to a cable, he was lifted into the air and placed on top of the giant spider fixture, where he played a lengthy solo. Shortly after, Paul Stanley returned to the stage, shooting fireworks out of his guitar while being raised on a platform, accompanied by drummer Eric Singer. By slowing things down, yet still keeping the rock and roll vibe, the men were able to take a breather without taking an intermission.

Overall, their stage presence was well put together, and their music lived up to expectation for such an admired band. However, no amount of fire, fireworks, smoke, and almost blinding lights could really hide the fact that the men are simply getting too old for that kind of show.

The concert ended on a high note, as Stanley literally flew over the audience on a cable and landed on a raised, rotating platform in the middle of the floor. The audience ate the stunt up like cake, and as he sang one of the final songs, the audience started to get a little more into the music, realizing the concert was almost at an end.

With a few more spouts of fire and flashing lights, KISS concluded the show, leaving audience members either exhausted from rocking out, or in anticipation of catching what was left of the George Street Festival.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Whoops. The 2nd review above was actually for the first night.
futon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by futon »

RisingForce wrote:http://theindependent.ca/2013/08/04/kis ... -and-hits/

Four decades later, the members of one of America's most renowned hard rock bands may be middle-aged, but they still know how to put on a show.

The stadium was almost full as Florida rock band Shinedown began their opening set.
The band played a handful of songs from their 2008 album The Sound of Madness, and Second Chance – the second single from that album – was a big hit with the audience. The band had a good stage presence, and though it was clear the crowd was somewhat impatient as they waited for KISS, lead singer Brent Smith was able to generate some support and applause. Smith ended their set by pumping up the crowd for KISS, saying “Rock and roll is no genre of music, rock and roll is a way of life.”

Shortly after the intermission lights came up, KISS lead singer Gene Simmons’ wife and daughter, Shannon and Sophie, guided the VIP ticket holders to their seats and were greeted with a fair bit of attention. Probably noticing that the crowd was getting restless, Shannon stood on a step and took a video of the audience, getting each section to cheer loudly.
Then the lights went out, the curtain fell, and KISS emerged. A notable entrance, the band members were lowered to the stage from the top of a giant metal spider that was one of the main pieces of their stage setup. Amidst the spider’s rotating arms, smoke machines and lighting, KISS started their set with a bang.

The first few songs were fairly entertaining. The band members paraded across the stage in silver get-ups and face paint, as fire shot off in the background and smoke surrounded their feet. To their credit, the band members are all over the age of 50, so it was impressive that they made it to about the fifth song before the audience could tell they were getting tired. To distract from that detail, the band was very clever.

At one point, Simmons was the only one on stage. He captured the audience with his well known bloody tongue and demon eyes act. Then, attached to a cable, he was lifted into the air and placed on top of the giant spider fixture, where he played a lengthy solo. Shortly after, Paul Stanley returned to the stage, shooting fireworks out of his guitar while being raised on a platform, accompanied by drummer Eric Singer. By slowing things down, yet still keeping the rock and roll vibe, the men were able to take a breather without taking an intermission.

Overall, their stage presence was well put together, and their music lived up to expectation for such an admired band. However, no amount of fire, fireworks, smoke, and almost blinding lights could really hide the fact that the men are simply getting too old for that kind of show.

The concert ended on a high note, as Stanley literally flew over the audience on a cable and landed on a raised, rotating platform in the middle of the floor. The audience ate the stunt up like cake, and as he sang one of the final songs, the audience started to get a little more into the music, realizing the concert was almost at an end.

With a few more spouts of fire and flashing lights, KISS concluded the show, leaving audience members either 7exhausted from rocking out, or in anticipation of catching what was left of the George Street Festival.
Typical of the Independant. No one around me thought anyone was tired. The reviewer obviously didn't do their homework if they thought the whole show was designed to give old guys a breather. I heard from ever single personmi encountered that the show blew them away.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

futon wrote:

With a few more spouts of fire and flashing lights, KISS concluded the show, leaving audience members either 7exhausted from rocking out, or in anticipation of catching what was left of the George Street Festival.
Typical of the Independant. No one around me thought anyone was tired. The reviewer obviously didn't do their homework if they thought the whole show was designed to give old guys a breather. I heard from ever single personmi encountered that the show blew them away.
I thought the crowd was more tired than the band Sunday night. Really lame, IMO. Having said that - the portion of the show that has HorH, Say Yeah and War Machine and Outta This World does slow things down until the guitar solo starts. I thought the crowd was more sub -dued Sunday.

Reviewers can be taken with a grain of salt, good and bad.
futon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by futon »

Evo999 wrote:
futon wrote:

I thought the crowd was more tired than the band Sunday night. Really lame, IMO. Having said that - the portion of the show that has HorH, Say Yeah and War Machine and Outta This World does slow things down until the guitar solo starts. I thought the crowd was more sub -dued Sunday.

Yeah, crowd for The second show was dead compared to Saturday, the crowd then rocked.
trumbolt
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by trumbolt »

Evo999 wrote:
futon wrote:

Very well put! We didnt go saturday night, i heard it was a more lively bunch! Great meeting you at the show! Our pictures turned out great!
Attachments
Me & my wife at the show!
Me & my wife at the show!
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Nice to meet you Sunday!

Edit - here is our pic, came out great, and best of all, got them for free! Not all bad....
Attachments
Me and my wife
Me and my wife
Last edited by Evo999 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
busdriver850
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by busdriver850 »

I haven't heard one negative thing about the show here in Saint John. Everyone said it was awesome , the best concert they have ever seen !
trumbolt
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by trumbolt »

[quote="Evo999"]Nice to meet you Sunday!

Edit - here is our pic, came out great, and best of all, got them for free! Not all bad....[/quote]

Hahaha very true! Very good deal indeed! Our money was refunded the day of the show! I saw your pics on the site! Looks great!
ultimix
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ultimix »

So with the Photos at the meet and greet - did they sign anything for you?? Did the radio contest winners - get to take a photo as well?

thanks

Mark
trumbolt
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by trumbolt »

[quote="ultimix"]So with the Photos at the meet and greet - did they sign anything for you?? Did the radio contest winners - get to take a photo as well?

thanks

Mark[/quote]

The M&G was cancelled, all money refunded. They just had the photo op thats all. no signing, just a quick pic before curtain call. Contest winners had group photos... those who originally bought meet and greet passes we allowed individual pics.
ultimix
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ultimix »

[quote="trumbolt"][quote="ultimix"]So with the Photos at the meet and greet - did they sign anything for you?? Did the radio contest winners - get to take a photo as well?

thanks

Mark[/quote]

The M&G was cancelled, all money refunded. They just had the photo op thats all. no signing, just a quick pic before curtain call. Contest winners had group photos... those who originally bought meet and greet passes we allowed individual pics.[/quote]

thanks for the update.

Mark
trumbolt
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by trumbolt »

Some of my pics from the show!
Attachments
KISS 2013 009.JPG
KISS 2013 033.JPG
KISS 2013 011.JPG