N.American Monster #16 - Montreal, 7/29/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #16 - Montreal, 7/29/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
Super Distortion
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: N.American Monster #16 - Montreal, 7/29/13

Post by Super Distortion »

I'll be there!

I'm dragging my girlfriend along for her first taste of KISS live! After subjecting her to countless hours of KISSOLOGY I'm ready to show her the (admittedly old and watered down) beast in the flesh!
KissKing73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by KissKing73 »

I'll be there and report back, can't wait!
carnival19
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by carnival19 »

Leaving for the Bell Centre in a few minutes!!
Deleted User 5613

Post by Deleted User 5613 »

Super Distortion wrote:(admittedly old and watered down) beast in the flesh!
Uncalled for.
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney »

Pre-show

Source: martincarle666
Attachments
1078664_614693495217889_1094784618_o.jpg
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Shane_Penney wrote:Pre-show

Source: martincarle666
Nice!

Man, gotta' love modern technology 8)
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Found it on facebook. I have 2 friends at the show as well. I expect a phone call if there's anything different in the setlist. :lol:
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Shane_Penney wrote:Found it on facebook. I have 2 friends at the show as well. I expect a phone call if there's anything different in the setlist. :lol:
pretty sure that phone won't ring :lol:

As someone who waited each for month for the rock mags to come out in the late-70s, it gives me (and people my age here) a perspective on how cool it truly is to get pics of a KISS show as it is happening. The concert pics we got in those magazines were no doubt months old, and I'm sure the band's management hand-picked most of the ones that were used.

What a different world we live in now.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

RRRRRRRRing.

"Calling Dr Love".

I think that they've played that only at one other show this time around.

Of course, I would have preferred "Ladies Room". 8)
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

Just got back. Great show, huge finale! I give Gene the MVP for the night. In my opinion he carried the show. He looked great and sounded great. Cool set list. Paul flew over my head and it was so cool to be up close. I could not get over the amount of people that spent the whole show on their iPhones or what have you....logging into Facebook, taking pics of themselves with gene in the background, only to text message their friends and post pics. Lame. Watch the show for crying out loud you paid for it!
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

What was the approximate attendance?
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

This is just a guess but between 8000 to 10000? Maybe more, but less than previous Montreal shows, that's for sure.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

KissKing73 wrote:This is just a guess but between 8000 to 10000? Maybe more, but less than previous Montreal shows, that's for sure.
That's pretty much what I expected.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

KissKing73 wrote:This is just a guess but between 8000 to 10000? Maybe more, but less than previous Montreal shows, that's for sure.
Were they playing songs off 'Monster' before the show? In the pic above you can see the cover on the big screen. Just curious.
88Star
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 88Star »

8500 was the attendance figure- quite ok.
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/0 ... e-july-29/
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote:
Were they playing songs off 'Monster' before the show? In the pic above you can see the cover on the big screen. Just curious.
No, they were actually playing Def Leppards Hystaria and old ACDC before Shinedowns set. The screen were used as advertisements for Monster, Kiss Cruise, Kiss mini golf, Kiss wedding Chapel, etc.
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

Gene has been MVP all year.

Gene is the greatest front man ever, it used to be Roth but Roth sucks now and Gene is still kicking ass.
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

Ya Gene was on fire last night. War Machine was huge, and he really put his all in his delivery. It's funny because the guy beside me said its seems like Eric and Tommy are dialing it in, especially Eric...he looked bored....and it got me thinking, Gene can be accused of many things, but not that. I have to hand it to him. For all the decades he's been doing this, singing the same old songs, he still fucking kicks ass! You could just tell he loves being the demon. He gives it his all all the time.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

“Maawn-tree-aaawl!” howled Paul Stanley in the arena phrasing and pronunciation he coined. “I wanna come out there and be with yew!”

Who knew if he meant it in the Biblical sense, but this was Kiss, so as likely as not. And 8,500 in the Bell Centre were going to feel Paul and the fire and the blood and the flying and the bombs that still herald rock’s Circus Maximus on their regular rotation through the city and country and world’s venues.

First, ladies and gentlemen, rest easy in your beds – the future of Kiss is assured, if we can judge by the truly impressive amount of pre-schoolers face-painted and hauled into the rink by parents who’d been Kissed one too many times but were passing on the torch. Little Demons and Starchildren, little Aces and Catmen, goggle-eyed at what they were about to experience.

Forty-some years, y’all. Psycho Circus opened with the first bombing sally, and Gene in his suit of metal mail, and Tommy Thayer licking out in his Ace gear, and Paul Stanley in his black flamingo-feathers, all descending atop an articulated spider-stage, with screens bathing 17,000 retinae in a kaleidoscope of KISS imagery. Forty-some years of Shout It Out Loud anchoring the early part of the set with the first of a half-dozen ’70s riffs that have outlasted Jann Wenner’s hatred and become post-ironic standards for – what – three generations?

The ever-limber Stanley took many knee-drops through the likes of Hell or Hallelujah, from the band’s solid Monster album. Backwards and in platforms with a Firebird-ish guitar – that’s Paul as Gene blows fire in War Machine and licks his own fretboard. And here’s Thayer, given the mic for Shock Me/Outta This World and a bit of O Canada in the solo to re-energize the show.

You would get Gene Simmons yanked into the rafters on guidewires for God of Thunder and the blood moment, and Stanley and Thayer back atop the spider for a Lick It Up coda of Won’t Get Fooled Again that felt like both hommage and canny stagecraft. Because here came the tonnage, with Stanley impressively zooming over the crowd on a one-stirrup trapeze with no harness to yowl Black Diamond from the mid-crowd mini-stage. Detroit Rock City and I Was Made for Lovin’ You would set up the inevitable Rock and Roll All Nite explosions.

When you’ve seen Kiss any number of times stretching back further than you’d care to admit, and lived through and even propagated some of the slurs directed at them, it’s easy to forget that rock’n’roll is currently loitering in whatever layer of inanition sits below the doldrums. You can forget that catching a hard rock opening band named Shinedown with a gracious and authoritative lead singer named Brent Smith may have virtue in its hoary rock trad. And you can forget that until someone out-explodes or out-enthuses or out-showbizzes the headliner, there are worse things than spending a summer night watching 6-year-olds and their parents fist-pumping along to a riff-carnival that shows no signs of folding its tent.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/0 ... e-july-29/
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

Trance wrote: Gene is the greatest front man ever, it used to be Roth but Roth sucks now and Gene is still kicking ass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kissno1
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissno1 »

I really hope they play Calling Dr.Love in St.John, always was one of my favorites live
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

kissthat wrote:The ever-limber Stanley took many knee-drops through the likes of Hell or Hallelujah, from the band’s solid Monster album. Backwards and in platforms with a Firebird-ish guitar – that’s Paul as Gene blows fire in War Machine and licks his own fretboard.

Can't be true-- I read on this board Paul can barely move and cannot touch his knees.

Article author must be an employee of the Kiss Corp. :)
Last edited by cwr18 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

This is what I got based on a 20 minute phone call with a friend of mine who has seen KISS 15 times.

Montreal newspaper says the attendance was about 8,500.

Paul was restrained, and that kept his voice under better control.

Gene and Paul had a lot of energy, especially Paul. Perhaps this had to do with less backup vocals.

The lighting rig is impressive and works well. Youtube doesn't do it justice.

Lots of pyro.

The show has been recorded on audio. No, I don't have it. However, within a few weeks check the usual sources.
Super Distortion
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Here's my quick review of the show in Montreal.

All in all, very enjoyable.

Paul's voice was decent throughout the show. He managed his limited range well for the most part and there weren't many bad moments. Heaven's on Fire HAS to go though. The intro and verses are beyond what Paul can do vocally at this point and it was quite unfortunate in places to hear him struggle. In general though he handled his vocal duties well and sensibly let Tommy, Gene, Eric and the crowd do the choruses. Because of his vocal difficulties these days I really didn't mind that he let the gang vocals handle the choruses unlike, say, when I saw Vince Neil do the same and it really came across as lazy.

Gene stayed put for most of the show with very little movement. He sang excellently and the crowd reacted far stronger to Gene's songs than to Paul's. The way Gene looks these days with added weight and lines on his face, the close ups the bass solo looked superb. Gene looked menacing and even creepier than usual. Pity about his lack of movement but c'est la vie; he's older now and he still puts in a great performance in a modified way. I don't like how he's painting his makeup these days though... there's so much less black on his face and the lines are so thin. Back to the Dynasty style makeup please!

Tommy played the opening line of 'O Canada' in his guitar solo as per usual on this tour and I heard some boos - bienvenue au quebec! - from some separatists I guess, so I had a good laugh at that. I though Tommy played great and he got a great response from the crowd for his solos. Shock Me/Outta This World didn't garner much of a reaction though for whatever reason. No Ace chants or anything like that. I was suprised that he played his signature Epiphone 'spaceman' Les Paul for the entirety of the encore. I expected just one song or so. That's nice to know for all the people who coughed up for the guitar. I bought a signed Tommy photo and some guitar picks from the merchandise stand. Pretty happy with that!

Eric started the show not quite firing on all cylinders. I felt his playing was sloppy and off the pace until at least War Machine. It may have been an issue with the sound (I felt the cymbals weren't coming through properly) but in any case it resolved itself in time. I was worried that it might have been a generally disjointed sound from this version of the band - as I've read CrimsonHarpoon say on this forum - but hopefully it was a sound issue.

Low moment of the set was Say Yeah. It's not my favourite song of Sonic Boom by any stretch of the imagination but I still enjoyed it and I thought Paul sang particularly well. This was the moment almost universally taken as a piss break though so any atmosphere died for that song.

I thought Shinedown were terrible. They got the crowd going and got a decent reaction so fair play to them on that front. Musically, I truly loathed them and found the version of Simple Man by Lynyryd Skynyrd to be appalling.

I rocked out big time throughout the show and so did my friend and girlfriend who are passive fans at best. Attendance was very healthy, the arena looked and felt packed. KISS are definitely not doomed yet.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Super Distortion wrote: KISS are definitely not doomed yet.
sorry to heart that :(
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

I actually should mention the spider rig. It's true that online clips don't do it justice and seeing it in person is impressive. A lot of the kinks were worked out and the rig is very fluid and entertaining. Seeing it up close was especially cool, as were the lighting effects and pyro that was set off inside it. In thinking about it it's the most I've enjoyed a Kiss show since the 97 reunion tour. The pyro was the most I've seen of any band, ever. I was impressed with the pyro and effects and I really came away happy I went. They topped the Sonic Boom show for me and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure they had it in them. Even with Paul's limiting vocals, it really didn't take away from me enjoying the show. In fact it's impressive how Paul has not let this fact stop him from trying to do what he's always done. He knows he sounds bad but he doesn't care. He still does the between song banter with his voice cracking when he does the high yells and he's giving it his all. I'm listening to Kiss all day today and I'm really in the "kiss" zone so mission accomplished Kiss.
Super Distortion
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

KissKing73 wrote:I actually should mention the spider rig. It's true that online clips don't do it justice and seeing it in person is impressive. A lot of the kinks were worked out and the rig is very fluid and entertaining. Seeing it up close was especially cool, as were the lighting effects and pyro that was set off inside it. In thinking about it it's the most I've enjoyed a Kiss show since the 97 reunion tour. The pyro was the most I've seen of any band, ever. I was impressed with the pyro and effects and I really came away happy I went. They topped the Sonic Boom show for me and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure they had it in them. Even with Paul's limiting vocals, it really didn't take away from me enjoying the show. In fact it's impressive how Paul has not let this fact stop him from trying to do what he's always done. He knows he sounds bad but he doesn't care. He still does the between song banter with his voice cracking when he does the high yells and he's giving it his all. I'm listening to Kiss all day today and I'm really in the "kiss" zone so mission accomplished Kiss.
Seconded. KISS did their job as far as I'm concerned too. It's not faultless but what show is?! The KISS zone reigns supreme!
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

KissKing73 wrote:I actually should mention the spider rig. It's true that online clips don't do it justice and seeing it in person is impressive. A lot of the kinks were worked out and the rig is very fluid and entertaining. Seeing it up close was especially cool, as were the lighting effects and pyro that was set off inside it.
8)
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Thanks for the info. Good to hear they still enjoy many people. As far as the Ace chants, its something that has happened on rare occassions that's always propped up by certain people. I've come across one guy like that at a show in the 8 or so times I've seen them since 2008 and by the end of the show, he had come around.

Don't mistake the board for any reality of what you might see at a concert, as far as the general public goes.
MONSTER Magnet
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MONSTER Magnet »

Shane_Penney wrote:
The show has been recorded on audio. No, I don't have it. However, within a few weeks check the usual sources.
:mrgreen: http://z8.invisionfree.com/KABD 4 SURE. :mrgreen:
Sirscorps

Post by Sirscorps »

Super Distortion wrote:Here's my quick review of the show in Montreal.

All in all, very enjoyable.

Paul's voice was decent throughout the show. He managed his limited range well for the most part and there weren't many bad moments. Heaven's on Fire HAS to go though. The intro and verses are beyond what Paul can do vocally at this point and it was quite unfortunate in places to hear him struggle. In general though he handled his vocal duties well and sensibly let Tommy, Gene, Eric and the crowd do the choruses. Because of his vocal difficulties these days I really didn't mind that he let the gang vocals handle the choruses unlike, say, when I saw Vince Neil do the same and it really came across as lazy.

Gene stayed put for most of the show with very little movement. He sang excellently and the crowd reacted far stronger to Gene's songs than to Paul's. The way Gene looks these days with added weight and lines on his face, the close ups the bass solo looked superb. Gene looked menacing and even creepier than usual. Pity about his lack of movement but c'est la vie; he's older now and he still puts in a great performance in a modified way. I don't like how he's painting his makeup these days though... there's so much less black on his face and the lines are so thin. Back to the Dynasty style makeup please!

Tommy played the opening line of 'O Canada' in his guitar solo as per usual on this tour and I heard some boos - bienvenue au quebec! - from some separatists I guess, so I had a good laugh at that. I though Tommy played great and he got a great response from the crowd for his solos. Shock Me/Outta This World didn't garner much of a reaction though for whatever reason. No Ace chants or anything like that. I was suprised that he played his signature Epiphone 'spaceman' Les Paul for the entirety of the encore. I expected just one song or so. That's nice to know for all the people who coughed up for the guitar. I bought a signed Tommy photo and some guitar picks from the merchandise stand. Pretty happy with that!

Eric started the show not quite firing on all cylinders. I felt his playing was sloppy and off the pace until at least War Machine. It may have been an issue with the sound (I felt the cymbals weren't coming through properly) but in any case it resolved itself in time. I was worried that it might have been a generally disjointed sound from this version of the band - as I've read CrimsonHarpoon say on this forum - but hopefully it was a sound issue.

Low moment of the set was Say Yeah. It's not my favourite song of Sonic Boom by any stretch of the imagination but I still enjoyed it and I thought Paul sang particularly well. This was the moment almost universally taken as a piss break though so any atmosphere died for that song.

I thought Shinedown were terrible. They got the crowd going and got a decent reaction so fair play to them on that front. Musically, I truly loathed them and found the version of Simple Man by Lynyryd Skynyrd to be appalling.

I rocked out big time throughout the show and so did my friend and girlfriend who are passive fans at best. Attendance was very healthy, the arena looked and felt packed. KISS are definitely not doomed yet.

Nice review.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

Evo999 wrote:Thanks for the info. Good to hear they still enjoy many people. As far as the Ace chants, its something that has happened on rare occassions that's always propped up by certain people. I've come across one guy like that at a show in the 8 or so times I've seen them since 2008 and by the end of the show, he had come around.

Don't mistake the board for any reality of what you might see at a concert, as far as the general public goes.
agree 100% great point Evo999
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

http://www.thescenemagazine.ca/montreal ... ll-center/

Style: Rock N’ Roll
Crowd: The streets of Montreal were alive with fans of all ages. From the motley looking usual suspects that you’d expect to find at a rock show, to people that appeared to have just arrived from law offices and operating theaters, many with young children by their sides. Few bands gather a crowd as diverse as KISS does. Many of them had their faces painted courtesy of CHOM 97.7 FM’s tent, situated just in front of the ticket office on Avenue Des Canadiens de Montreal, while others lined up to pledge allegiance to the KISS army.
Memorable Song: I got a kick out of “Black Diamond” for the sheer amusement of seeing purple lights reflecting onto the crowd from a giant disco ball. It made me think of the Kiss-backed movie, “Detroit Rock City”, where they clearly mock disco music. At this point, Stanley informed the crowd that “This is usually the end of the show but what do you say we keep on going?”. As if anybody was going to refuse such an offer. Speaking of “Detroit Rock City”, it was the next song to be performed and was the beginning to a raucous end of their set. During the track, a video of what I believe was meant to be an old Dodge Challenger soaring around the now-abandoned streets of Detroit was displayed on the massive screen behind the band. The audience responded by jumping to their feet and clapping in unison, with hands held high above their heads.
Memorable Moment: Paul Stanley began to proclaim his love for the city of Montreal – which he probably does for every city the band plays in – and promised to join the audience if they chanted his name. They did so on three occasions and then, as the drums began to beat out the introduction to “Love Gun”, Stanley soared out over the audience on a zip-line towards a small stage in the middle of the floor. He remained there for the entire song, on a small revolving circular platform.
Comments: “You wanted the best, you got the best!” bellowed the announcer as Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer – the legendary KISS – took to the stage of the Bell Center this past Monday night. They wasted no time, diving straight in with “Psycho Circus”, the debut track from 1998’s album of the same name. The song is lyrically perfect for getting a concert underway, with a chorus that goes “You’re in the psycho circus and I say welcome to the show!” I counted eight individual bursts of pyrotechnics in the opening song alone, and that was just the beginning of a night full of fire balls and pop charges. Next up was a classic track, “Shout It Out Loud” which already had the audience fist pumping and singing along. I scanned the arena and saw very few seats uninhabited – not including the two sections that were closed off at the rear, directly facing the stage. Above the stage, a huge metal spider loomed, and began to move its eight arms about as it was slowly lowered towards the band.
Next up was “Let Me Go, Rock N’ Roll” and the first glance at Gene Simmons monster tongue, waging wildly to the wind. Things slowed down a tad for the next few songs; “I Love It loud”, “Hell Or Hellelujah” off the bands newest effort, “Monster”. The spider then descended again for “War Machine”, which ended with Gene Simmons walking out on stage with a flaming sword that he used to breathe fire with. These guys sure love their pyro! That was followed up with “Heaven’s On Fire”, “Calling Dr. Love” , “Say Yeah” and “Shock Me/Outta This World” before venturing into a guitar solo by Tommy Thayer and later joined by drummer Eric Singer. At this point, the drums began to smoke and rise from the floor on some sort of scissor lift. Simultaneously, the small area where Thayer was stood reviled itself to be on a crane and the duo were hoisted skywards as they rocked out. Thayer’s solo included the first few bars of Canada’s nation anthem, to roaring applause. To conclude the solo portion of the show, Singer pulled out a bazooka and fired off another pyro charge.
Gene Simmons appeared on stage after a very brief moment of total darkness, basking in green incandescent light, wielding his famous Axe-shaped bass guitar in hand. He played his own solo, while spitting blood and again whipping out that massive tongue of his. He then levitated up onto the spider and began to play “God Of Thunder” from high above. He returned to the stage for a rendition of “Lick It Up”.
The final two tracks of the night were “I Was made For Lovin’ You” followed by “Rock N’ Roll All Nite” (poor bastards can’t spell, it seems) which included a shower of glittering confetti before a barrage of fireworks befell the audience, as Gene and Thayer rose once more on their little platforms whilst Stanley smashed his guitar to pieces on the stage below – indicating that there wouldn’t be an encore tonight, ladies and germs!
There’s something to be said for bands that are able to survive forty years together and still fill arenas. Even though mastermind Gene Simmons has exploited every possible avenue to generate revenue from his bands namesake, I still have a massive amount of respect for them. Sure, they probably cheapened their image with all the comic books, action figures, novels, movies, cartoons…wedding chapels, cruises and wine (!!) but the fact remains that these boys changed the face of rock n’ roll for good and for that, I tilt my hat.

Review by: Kieron Yates
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Several different views of Love Gun.

OBw07qOb9jA

860xG45QRVQ

MGFEBRRbEUE

a7U9oFG4g7Q
izzykissfan1993
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by izzykissfan1993 »

To anyone who says Paul barely moved, you must not have seen the show properly!
I was front row and witnessed him running and jumping throughout the whole set. Several times he even sat down on the edge of the stage at different spots and jammed.

Also, I thought this show was nearly the best I had heard his voice in recent years. Aside from one or two spots in the set, I thought the day off before the gig did him good. I was surprised to hear him sings songs like Psycho Circus and Heavens on fire as well as he did. No cringeworthy moments from this guy.