N.American Monster #10 - Winnipeg, 7/18/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #10 - Winnipeg, 7/18/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
KISSINWPG
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: N.American Monster #10 - Winnipeg, 7/18/13

Post by KISSINWPG »

Gonna be there Row 4 on the Floor Centred and even made a KISS Alive style banner that says "Thank you for 40 years KISS"
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

KISS to take Brandon stage ahead of Winnipeg concert
Band takes two Manitoba stages amid controversy over morals of rock stars

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... ml?cmp=rss
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

TheSphinx wrote:KISS to take Brandon stage ahead of Winnipeg concert
Band takes two Manitoba stages amid controversy over morals of rock stars

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... ml?cmp=rss

Moronic article.
Vinnie75
Banned

Post by Vinnie75 »

Will be there taking my son to see his very first concert - let alone a KISS show.

If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be going.

Haven't seen KISS since the Farewell Tour and still do not like the 'scabs'.

And seeing how Paul has been struggling lately, we'll let's just say I hope it's not a long night. :lol:
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

Vinnie75 wrote:Will be there taking my son to see his very first concert - let alone a KISS show.

And seeing how Paul has been struggling lately, we'll let's just say I hope it's not a long night. :lol:
You're putting money into Tommy and Eric's pockets. They thank you.
scottkfan1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by scottkfan1 »

Vinnie75 wrote:Will be there taking my son to see his very first concert - let alone a KISS show.

you will have a great time you will see the show through your sons eyes and have a great time
Vinnie75
Banned

Post by Vinnie75 »

scottkfan1 wrote:

you will have a great time you will see the show through your sons eyes and have a great time
I know it will be fun to see him have a blast.

And that's why I am there. But I am honest when I say that Eric and Tommy dressed up as Ace and Peter still bothers me. Oh well.

And I liked Sonic Boom. Monster has its moments.
Avidfan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Avidfan »

Should be another decent show tonight after Brandon last night. Had 4th row on the floor last night, should be in the first couple rows on the floor tonight!
Looking forward to a TON of confetti :) - a bunch fell out of my shirt when I got home last night lol!
cwr18
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by cwr18 »

Vinnie75 wrote:
scottkfan1 wrote:

I know it will be fun to see him have a blast.

And that's why I am there. But I am honest when I say that Eric and Tommy dressed up as Ace and Peter still bothers me. Oh well.

And I liked Sonic Boom. Monster has its moments.
Enjoy!!! :)
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

kiss is Doomed
Attachments
1077021_10151801309911412_1556767474_o.jpg
Avidfan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Avidfan »

Great fuckin show (helped by the fact that I was front row center)
Tons more pyro than Brandon last night and seemed a bit more energetic.
Even though the meet and greet was cancelled they did get us in for a lightning-round photo with the band so I have one less bucket-list item!

The arena was packed and the 300 level was full, so even though Brandon looked like it only held about 4000 people, I'd say (and I suck at guessing) 8,000-10,000 people.

Setlist exact same as Brandon which I assume was exact same as every other Canadian tour stop.

IWMFLY simply HAS to go, omfg.

Crowd seemed very into it and the band seemed to be in better spirits, Paul was smiling throughout and Tommy was in a better mood too. There was some a-hole in Brandon flipping him off the whole time, dickhead.
We met Tommy and got a pic with him at the local guitar shop during the day as well, super nice guy.

All in all, pretty great Kiss week for this Manitoban!
Cheers!
Avidfan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Avidfan »

scottkfan1 wrote:kiss is Doomed
Great shot!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Avidfan wrote:Great fuckin show (helped by the fact that I was front row center)
Tons more pyro than Brandon last night and seemed a bit more energetic.
Even though the meet and greet was cancelled they did get us in for a lightning-round photo with the band so I have one less bucket-list item!

The arena was packed and the 300 level was full, so even though Brandon looked like it only held about 4000 people, I'd say (and I suck at guessing) 8,000-10,000 people.

Setlist exact same as Brandon which I assume was exact same as every other Canadian tour stop.

IWMFLY simply HAS to go, omfg.

Crowd seemed very into it and the band seemed to be in better spirits, Paul was smiling throughout and Tommy was in a better mood too. There was some a-hole in Brandon flipping him off the whole time, dickhead.
We met Tommy and got a pic with him at the local guitar shop during the day as well, super nice guy.

All in all, pretty great Kiss week for this Manitoban!
Cheers!
Thanks for your review.Their site claims 16,000 for End Stage concerts, taking away 1/4 for behind the stage, leaves your guess right in the ball park.

http://www.mtscentre.ca/mts-centre-info ... uick-facts
Vinnie75
Banned

Post by Vinnie75 »

Was at the show last night.

Took my son who is 8 - he had a blast. Loved the show.

As for this old KISS fan? Well, it was a good, overall. The pyro was off the charts. They really laid on the bombs last night - which was great. Gene was good, played and sang well. But they really need to lay off the close up shots of him on the big screen though - he looks really old. Otherwise, always cool to see Gene do his thing - spitting fire and blood. They need to dim the lighting just before his flying stunt though - you can see the wires.

Paul as an entertainer is still great. He hasn't lost his way with a crowd but certainly - as we all know - has lost a lot of his voice. During songs, its not that noticeable. But the extended holler intro to Heaven's on Fire?? Why do that??? It was cool when you had the vocal chops but now? Paul, please stop that. Everyone around me was laughing. Seriously. His voice was cracking like a dying cat. Paul even tried the falsetto bit during IWMFLY which was horrendous. Wow, again, why even attempt it. The band was doing just fine playing the tune.

I also have to say, as much as I still like the song, Psycho Circus does not work anymore as an opener. People looked bored during most of the song. It was great in 1998 - cause it was supporting a new album but not now. It needs to be either dropped or put somewhere else in the set.

Eric played well - but all these extra fills on the toms he was doing during the old Peter songs didn't sound good at all. Has he forgotten how to play Deuce properly?? Seemed like he was just pounding the skins to get through the song and be done with it. Then he was doing all these twirling drumstick tricks as he was playing. Yeah cool but a distraction if you don't play the songs properly.

Tommy was the weakest point of the show. I really don't understand why this guy is in the band beyond the fact he dresses up as Ace. I have seen Vinnie, Bruce and Ace live and Thayer is just a complete bore. His jam solo thing with Eric was a joke. What was that? Both Tommy and Eric were trying really hard to get a rise out of the crowd during their joint solo spot. They were like "Hey Winnipeg! Check this out!" when they would shoot the 'rockets' out of either Tommy's guitar or dare I say it.......yes....Eric's bazooka.

Eric gets up from his drum stool - grabs a 'bazooka' and fires it. When he grabbed the bazooka everyone was laughing. It was absurd.

The Tommy-Eric solo jam session needs to go. I would've liked a few more classic songs in its place.

Overall, it was still a fun show - and thats why people still go and see them. The pyro, Gene's old gimmicks, Paul's stage raps and 'Love Gun' flying routine.

If there is another thing I noticed last night - as this was the first time I had seen KISS with Tommy and Eric - is that the crowd is totally more into Paul and Gene. Whenever Tommy would get in the spotlight - the crowd was less enthusiastic. Even for Eric as well.

Which, IMO, even if Tommy and Eric were in Vinnie and Carr's makeup it wouldn't make much of any difference at all. Fans were there to see Paul and Gene more.

Which wasn't the case during the reunion era.

And how ironic that the songs that got the greatest response - not taking into account RARAN or IWMFLY - were the songs that Vinnie Vincent co-wrote? Yes, Vinnie saves KISS again! :lol:
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Vinnie75 wrote:Was at the show last night.

As for this old KISS fan? Well, it was a good, overall. The pyro was off the charts. They really laid on the bombs last night - which was great. Gene was good, played and sang well. But they really need to lay off the close up shots of him on the big screen though - he looks really old. Otherwise, always cool to see Gene do his thing - spitting fire and blood. They need to dim the lighting just before his flying stunt though - you can see the wires.

Paul as an entertainer is still great. He hasn't lost his way with a crowd but certainly - as we all know - has lost a lot of his voice. During songs, its not that noticeable. But the extended holler intro to Heaven's on Fire?? Why do that??? It was cool when you had the vocal chops but now? Paul, please stop that. Everyone around me was laughing. Seriously. His voice was cracking like a dying cat. Paul even tried the falsetto bit during IWMFLY which was horrendous. Wow, again, why even attempt it. The band was doing just fine playing the tune.

I also have to say, as much as I still like the song, Psycho Circus does not work anymore as an opener. People looked bored during most of the song. It was great in 1998 - cause it was supporting a new album but not now. It needs to be either dropped or put somewhere else in the set.

Eric played well - but all these extra fills on the toms he was doing during the old Peter songs didn't sound good at all. Has he forgotten how to play Deuce properly?? Seemed like he was just pounding the skins to get through the song and be done with it. Then he was doing all these twirling drumstick tricks as he was playing. Yeah cool but a distraction if you don't play the songs properly.

Tommy was the weakest point of the show. I really don't understand why this guy is in the band beyond the fact he dresses up as Ace. I have seen Vinnie, Bruce and Ace live and Thayer is just a complete bore. His jam solo thing with Eric was a joke. What was that? Both Tommy and Eric were trying really hard to get a rise out of the crowd during their joint solo spot. They were like "Hey Winnipeg! Check this out!" when they would shoot the 'rockets' out of either Tommy's guitar or dare I say it.......yes....Eric's bazooka.

Eric gets up from his drum stool - grabs a 'bazooka' and fires it. When he grabbed the bazooka everyone was laughing. It was absurd.

The Tommy-Eric solo jam session needs to go. I would've liked a few more classic songs in its place.

Overall, it was still a fun show - and thats why people still go and see them. The pyro, Gene's old gimmicks, Paul's stage raps and 'Love Gun' flying routine.

If there is another thing I noticed last night - as this was the first time I had seen KISS with Tommy and Eric - is that the crowd is totally more into Paul and Gene. Whenever Tommy would get in the spotlight - the crowd was less enthusiastic. Even for Eric as well.

Which, IMO, even if Tommy and Eric were in Vinnie and Carr's makeup it wouldn't make much of any difference at all. Fans were there to see Paul and Gene more.

And how ironic that the songs that got the greatest response - not taking into account RARAN or IWMFLY - were the songs that Vinnie Vincent co-wrote? Yes, Vinnie saves KISS again! :lol:
Glad you had a good time-- that is what it is all about. We here will always critique to the nth degree and your thoughts are fair IMO.

In 1979 the vast majority of the crowd I saw Kiss with were like me: 15. Lots of 20-30 year olds, too, but it was a YOUNG crowd. Nowadays we have a crowd much older-- 40-50 and up. We are more experienced and jaded. We are harder to please.

:idea:
Avidfan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Avidfan »

Yeah we noticed in Brandon as well as Winnipeg that Paul's voice actually sounded worse between songs and really didn't work. It was rough.
I managed to snag an Eric and Gene pick, gonna see if I can find a Tommy & paul to round out the collection and make a shadow box with the autographed snare head & 8x10, and ticket stubs, pictures etc, would be cool.

All around great night.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

"Reminder, cotton candy will be ready in ten minutes...cotton candy in ten minutes. And, if you'd like, you can stick around and watch KISS play"

kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Crown Royal wrote:"Reminder, cotton candy will be ready in ten minutes...cotton candy in ten minutes. And, if you'd like, you can stick around and watch KISS play"

cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

kissthat wrote:
Crown Royal wrote:"Reminder, cotton candy will be ready in ten minutes...cotton candy in ten minutes. And, if you'd like, you can stick around and watch KISS play"

All duped by Paul and Gene. :)
Avidfan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Avidfan »

Couple of pics from last night
Attachments
IMG_2832.JPG
IMG_2783.JPG
IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2771.JPG
KISSINWPG
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KISSINWPG »

Avidfan wrote:Couple of pics from last night
Nice photos man! I was 4th row and got and got a few nice ones
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

THey look good, and nice big crowd, too!

Thanks for the photos and reviews......
PaynterNumberOne
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by PaynterNumberOne »

Vinnie75 wrote:Was at the show last night.

Glad you had a good time. Yeah, I like Tommy as a person, and all, but he doesn't have the greatest stage presence. He is a bit boring. I do think fans go to see Paul and Gene anyway, like you said. Thanks for sharing.
AusKen
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AusKen »

Great review VINNIE75, thank you.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

KISSINWPG's Review
ww.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89031

July 18th 2013

One of the greatest days of my life!

It's a long story, and yes there will be typo's.

We = Me and my Sister

Awesome day, i bussed it down across town with my sister, me rocking my "The Tour" shirt and it was about an hour and fifteen minute bus ride, talked to some people on the bus they were asking me " Going to the show tonight" and i would say something like "Heck Yeah, 8th KISS Show tonight", and through out the day people would be really surprised that is was my eight KISS show since im only 16.

I knew Tommy was doing his in store appearance at one of the local Long and McQuade's (sorta like a Guitar Centre) so i got there early about 12 in the afternoon and there were about 7 people there and i had to meet my cousin there who was buying my old KISS tickets (Row 24 and i upgraded to Row 4) so we met and we hung out all three of us and met some cool people and talked KISS for a couple hours.

Here's the news clip i'm the one who yelled "IT WAS EPIC!"
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=968258

Then around 2:00 pm Tommy Thayer walked in! and i freaked out!! I was second in line and was so pumped!!
The first people went up then it was time for ME!!
I walked up to Tommy and said " Hey Tommy, Welcome to Winnipeg" he replied "Thanks Man" so i handed him my items i brought to get signed My World Domintion Tour-book from 2003 and my Monster Vinyl. Tommy was such a nice guy who signed everything and even had a conversation! I asked him " What about maybe playing She Tonight?" and he responded " Well i don't know, its one of my favourites to play but who knows" he was really cool, then i got a few pictures and said to Tommy when walking off "Have a great show Tommy" and i also said " Im 4th row tonight" and Tommy said "Thats Pick Territory!" and i was SO PSYCHED. Then i waited for my cousins and sister and my new friend there to get done which was awesome and when we were walking out of the door we all yelled "TOMMY!!!" and we was very startled like a deer in the headlights.

I WAS PSYCED!!!

We all had some time to kill so we took a bus to the MTS Centre where KISS was playing and hung out for a few hours and talked to the merch people and it was all cool.
So around 5:00 we heard 92 CITI FM (which play nothing but the same 5 songs!) one of the local radio stations were outside doing free makeup so we decided to go check it out, i didnt get it done because i was rushing myself to go get merch and get inline of course the show wasn't general admission but yeah.
We got in at 6:45 because the stage wasnt quite ready or something and i was the first one on the floor! which doesnt really matter because it wasnt General admission

We went to our seats being Row 4 Floor, Seats 28-29!! and all i did was just look up, the frickin SPIDER WAS IN THE HOUSE!! It was the coolest thing i ever seen at a show, and for me it was the return of the KISS Army banners, i havent seen them since the last Winnipeg show in 2009! which was 5 KISS shows ago.
I was taking it all in, then i remebered i made a KISS Alive style banner for the show, i whipped it out and me and my sister took a couple of pictures and i acted like the guy on the right with the hand up.

Then came Shinedown - i really didn't care for them or payed attention to them.

Shinedown was done! and now it was time for The Hottest Band in The World!! Not Journey, Not REO Speedwagon, not the Bay City Rollers, KISS!!!

I knew what song was gonna play before the lights went down and that song was "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin, then the lights when down, the crowed roared, and the KISS curtain was up and ready!!

Then the yell happend "Alright Winnipeg!" and it was me, so then i waited then the real yell blasted through the P.A. "All Right Winnipeg, You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best, The Hottest Band in the World!!, KISS!!!"

Then first off "Psycho Circus" i never heard that song live in person in concert for me it was awesome i didnt care i was rocking!!! The spider blew me away it was frickin massive and incrediable.
The setlist was awesome for ME! i never heard Heavens on Fire, Psycho Circus, and Outta This World before so it was really awesome.
During the End of Love Gun, Paul stayed at his stage and did the begining of "Black Diamond" and flew back once it kicked in which was odd but kinda cool.

So during many times of the show i got on the video screen which was frickin cool and esspecially during "I Was Made for Loving You" for about 7 seconds. ill post a photo

Rock and Roll all Nite, was very special because as i told all of you reading this, i met Tommy earlier that day and told him i was fourth row and that whole night Tommy was pointing to me and thumbs uping me ( not in that way) and even attempted to throw a pick to me but he missed so in Rock and Roll All Nite, Tommy was on his flying wing over the crowd and i was watching him and he then from about maybe 17 feet far and pretty high up, THREW ME A PICK it landed one chair infront of me and i grabbed it and i looked at him and thumbs up'ed him and he did also and man TOMMY IS FRICKIN COOL!!!!!!

The last pyro bomb went off and the lights went off and the house lights went on and the air was very foggy and i smiled and put my hand in the air and was very proud and happy and felt real good.