N.American Monster #2 - Vancouver 7/6/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #2 - Vancouver 7/6/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
IJustWanna92
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: N.American Monster #2 - Vancouver 7/6/13

Post by IJustWanna92 »

I'll be there! Look for the guy in the green jacket with a Lick It Up patch on the back!
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney »

Enjoy.
49er fan
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 49er fan »

have fun tonight its a great show
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

KISS still a Monster 40 years later

Shock rock band doing it ‘for the fans’ 20 albums in

By Francois Marchand, Vancouver Sun July 6, 2013 9:24 AM

July 6, 7:30 p.m. | Rogers Arena

Tickets: $21 - $126 plus charges at Ticketmaster

Canadians have always embraced KISS.

In the shock rock band’s early days, Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were playing rooms a far cry from the arenas and stadiums they are now known to fill with pyro and solid rock thunder.

“Canada has always been great to us,” Stanley said in a recent interview with The Vancouver Sun. “Our first tour included lunch rooms and cafeterias of schools in Edmonton and Calgary when nobody knew who we were. So we’ve always had a great time, whether it’s in Moncton, Sudbury, Lethbridge — places where people go, ‘What are you doing here?’ and we say, ‘You don’t decide where you’re born but we decide where we play.’”

Forty years later and with a 20th studio album in tow — the old school, Detroit-style rocker Monster — little has changed about KISS’s philosophy: Rock and roll all night, party every day.

Doing so, KISS continues to offer a fan-oriented experience like no other band can, a recipe that has generated millions of KISS Army members, and licensing and merchandising revenue like few acts on the planet boast.

Celebrating the kickoff of its latest Canadian tour with a press conference at its KISS Army Depot pop-up store at Vancouver’s Tom Lee Music, KISS was staking its claim that fans have always craved the merch.

“The whole idea with the KISS Army Depot was to let the fans run their own store,” Stanley said. “It’s a guerrilla store, so-to-speak. It circumvents the big business and it allows the fans to have the say of where it goes.”

A number of the pop-up stores have appeared across the country in some of the cities where the band will be stopping: Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary — even though the recent flooding has forced the band to cancel its performance — and Toronto.

“Our sympathy goes to anybody who has to live through a natural disaster,” Stanley said of the Calgary cancellation during the band’s press conference Thursday. “Calgary is a great example of the resilience people have. We stand with them and, as soon as we can, we will be going back to try to cheer everybody up a bit.”

If in 1973 KISS’s brand of hyper-sexualized, overly macho rock draped in leather costumes and trademark symbolic characters makeup were made to shock — Stanley’s Starchild, Simmons’ Demon, Frehley’s Spaceman and Criss’ Cat Man — today the band is an instantly recognized and respected entity.

“The media said, ‘They are cannibals, they’re from outer space.’ We ignored all that stuff,” Simmons said. “That’s all kid’s stuff — do what you and don’t worry about what people think or say or anything. When we started out, we played our instruments, we wrote our songs — we got on stage and we were who we were.”

“It was shocking when we first started out because it was new,” Stanley said. “You had the magician pulling the rabbit out of the hat. Ultimately, you have to have content. Maybe the shock value is gone, but now it’s a monument, an institution. It’s something that’s lasted 40 years.”

Buoyed by its fan base, KISS was a modest shocker hit early on.

Albums like KISS (1973), Hotter Than Hell (1974) and Dressed To Kill (1975) contained more than a few songs now considered band classics (Strutter, Deuce, Rock and Roll All Nite), but it wasn’t until the band’s first live album Alive! that things really took off, thanks to a concert-styled compilation featuring KISS’s singular live energy and a raw, nerve-slicing edge courtesy of producer Eddie Kramer.

A slick re-invention thanks to Bob Ezrin (Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd) with 1975’s Destroyer made them a band that would hit the top of the charts with Beth, a decidedly un-KISS piano ballad sung by Criss.

The ’80s and ’90s were not as glorious: The band removed the masks, faced upheaval and multiple lineup changes, and faltered.

It wasn’t until they put the makeup on again that KISS thrived once more, finding renewal via 1998’s Psycho Circus (which yielded the first concert experience incorporating 3-D visual elements) and continuing via the solid Sonic Boom (2009) and last year’s surprising Monster, the latter two produced by Stanley and Greg Collins.

Asked if he took some inspiration from Ezrin or Kramer to rejuvenate KISS’s sound, Stanley said: “Truth be told, there have been times when we had people who got producer credit who weren’t much more than engineers. Bob Ezrin was a producer. Certainly I think of him often when we’re in the studio — ‘What would he do?’

“But, you know, I’m fortunate enough to have seen some of the greatest bands play when I was a kid — Zeppelin, Humble Pie, the Stones, Derek and the Dominoes. Perhaps what we brought to the band now and in the last few albums is something that’s classic and timeless. I think the band sounds better than ever.”

Simmons heaped praise on Stanley’s design of the band’s latest live show, which features a spider-like stage construction that’s arguably the most advanced KISS fans have ever seen.

Stanley made it clear that even though the band’s current band members may one day call it quits (Eric Singer now sits behind the drums instead of Criss and Tommy Thayer plays Ace Frehley’s licks), he would like KISS to live on forever.

“I think I’m really great at what I do but I don’t think there isn’t someone else that can do it at least as well,” he said while answering a question during the band’s news conference.

“There was a time when everybody said, ‘Oh, it’s gotta be the four original members.’ Well, those people are 50 per cent wrong now. I will be proud to be replaced at some point, because it only means KISS is everything that I hoped it would be. I’d like to sit in the audience and see the greatest band without me in it — but not any time soon.”
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

dursin

Post by dursin »

TheSphinx wrote:Kiss Rocks Vancouver

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html
Always wondered what Meatloaf would look like in Kiss makeup.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I know this one was sparsely attended...but only 7 posts???
KISS70
Banned

Post by KISS70 »

Gene says Victoria instead of Vancouver.
49er fan
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 49er fan »

its nice to know gene is still thinking about Victoria..
KissRocks7
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by KissRocks7 »

Anyone else notice the massive amount of lyric messups, Shout it out loud Gene messed up the background vocal and then sang his second verse of the song in the first section. There were a few others as well that I noticed.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

KissRocks7 wrote:Anyone else notice the massive amount of lyric messups, Shout it out loud Gene messed up the background vocal and then sang his second verse of the song in the first section. There were a few others as well that I noticed.
Also did that in Zurich.
StarvinMarvin
Banned

Post by StarvinMarvin »

I got a free ticket at the last minute, so I decided to go (despite my reservations about "scab" Kiss). Although I enjoyed myself, I think that anyone who is being honest will admit that the end is near (or it SHOULD be). Paul was really struggling with his vocals - no amount of reverb can mask just how terrible he sounds most of the time. He sounded pretty good on the opening song but by the time they played SIOL his voice was completely trashed. He sounds awful and anyone who says otherwise is deaf or in a state of fanboy denial.

I know Gene and Paul are old, so we have to cut them some slack, but I can't even begin to comprehend how immobile they are now. Paul looks, sounds, and acts like a crippled old drag queen now - I have to admit I was embarrassed for him at times. The relentless "guitar between the legs" trick is stupid and I hate how he's always sticking his tongue out now too. Gene too is a pale caricature of himself now. The blood spitting routine used to be dark and evil - but now Gene looks like a fat clown making stupid funny faces instead of being scary.

There were alot of empty seats, even though the entire upper bowl was closed off. I'd say the lower bowl & floor were 75% full. My general impression was that most of the people in attendance were casual fans. I got the sense that most of the longtime Kiss diehards couldn't be bothered to show up anymore. I know some of you will disagree, but I stand by my observation.

The stage was really cool and I don't think I've seen a show with that much pyro before. It was a big spectacle, that's for sure. I'm sure most of the casual fans were sufficiently entertained by the smoke, bombs, and fire and went home happy. I liked it.

I don't know quite what to think about Kiss in 2013. I had fun last night but oh how the mighty have fallen. Kiss is so much worse than they were even 5 years ago that I kind of feel bad for them. If they're not embarrassed, they should be.
KissRocks7
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by KissRocks7 »

StarvinMarvin wrote:I got a free ticket at the last minute, so I decided to go (despite my reservations about "scab" Kiss). Although I enjoyed myself, I think that anyone who is being honest will admit that the end is near (or it SHOULD be). Paul was really struggling with his vocals - no amount of reverb can mask just how terrible he sounds most of the time. He sounded pretty good on the opening song but by the time they played SIOL his voice was completely trashed. He sounds awful and anyone who says otherwise is deaf or in a state of fanboy denial.

I know Gene and Paul are old, so we have to cut them some slack, but I can't even begin to comprehend how immobile they are now. Paul looks, sounds, and acts like a crippled old drag queen now - I have to admit I was embarrassed for him at times. The relentless "guitar between the legs" trick is stupid and I hate how he's always sticking his tongue out now too. Gene too is a pale caricature of himself now. The blood spitting routine used to be dark and evil - but now Gene looks like a fat clown making stupid funny faces instead of being scary.

There were alot of empty seats, even though the entire upper bowl was closed off. I'd say the lower bowl & floor were 75% full. My general impression was that most of the people in attendance were casual fans. I got the sense that most of the longtime Kiss diehards couldn't be bothered to show up anymore. I know some of you will disagree, but I stand by my observation.

The stage was really cool and I don't think I've seen a show with that much pyro before. It was a big spectacle, that's for sure. I'm sure most of the casual fans were sufficiently entertained by the smoke, bombs, and fire and went home happy. I liked it.

I don't know quite what to think about Kiss in 2013. I had fun last night but oh how the mighty have fallen. Kiss is so much worse than they were even 5 years ago that I kind of feel bad for them. If they're not embarrassed, they should be.

This is a spot on review.
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

StarvinMarvin wrote:I got a free ticket at the last minute, so I decided to go (despite my reservations about "scab" Kiss). Although I enjoyed myself, I think that anyone who is being honest will admit that the end is near (or it SHOULD be). Paul was really struggling with his vocals - no amount of reverb can mask just how terrible he sounds most of the time. He sounded pretty good on the opening song but by the time they played SIOL his voice was completely trashed. He sounds awful and anyone who says otherwise is deaf or in a state of fanboy denial.

All of the haters say that.

:lol:
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

metallian wrote:

Haters always come by free tickets. :lol:
shandiatsea
Banned

Post by shandiatsea »

kissthat wrote:
metallian wrote:

I know right?

Reminds me of whats-his-name-prior-FAQ-now-banned-member that would blabber on about Monster, his contacts at Universal (at least I think that's the one)...

Anyway, didn't like the current line-up, posted a gazillion times a week it seemed, on and on...but, when it came time for "The Tour" w/Motley, he somehow ended up at the concert because his friend owed him a favor/ticket, because his friend had done him a favor by going with him to a concert he didn't want to go to alone, etc. and so forth...

Point being--current-incarnation Kiss snipers always find an excuse to be there, either online, or in person.

Sad.
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

StarvinMarvin wrote:I got a free ticket at the last minute, so I decided to go (despite my reservations about "scab" Kiss). Although I enjoyed myself, I think that anyone who is being honest will admit that the end is near (or it SHOULD be).

Glad you enjoyed yourself-- that is all that matters.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

shandiatsea wrote:
kissthat wrote:
metallian wrote:

I know right?

Reminds me of whats-his-name-prior-FAQ-now-banned-member that would blabber on about Monster, his contacts at Universal (at least I think that's the one)...

Anyway, didn't like the current line-up, posted a gazillion times a week it seemed, on and on...but, when it came time for "The Tour" w/Motley, he somehow ended up at the concert because his friend owed him a favor/ticket, because his friend had done him a favor by going with him to a concert he didn't want to go to alone, etc. and so forth...

Point being--current-incarnation Kiss snipers always find an excuse to be there, either online, or in person.

Sad.

What's sad is that puny little muscle you are trying to show in your avatar : :lol:
kissno1
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissno1 »

It's surprising how people come on here just to bash KISS. Why even bother?
Philly Cheese
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Philly Cheese »

[quote="kissno1"]It's surprising how people come on here just to bash KISS. Why even bother?[/quote]

They hate their lives.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

[quote="kissthat"][quote="metallian"][quote="StarvinMarvin"][color=#FF0000]I got a free ticket at the last minute,[/color] so I decided to go (despite my reservations about "scab" Kiss). Although I enjoyed myself, I think that anyone who is being honest will admit that the end is near (or it SHOULD be). Paul was really struggling with his vocals - no amount of reverb can mask just how terrible he sounds most of the time. He sounded pretty good on the opening song but by the time they played SIOL his voice was completely trashed. He sounds awful and anyone who says otherwise is deaf or in a state of fanboy denial.

I don't know quite what to think about Kiss in 2013. I had fun last night but oh how the mighty have fallen. Kiss is so much worse than they were even 5 years ago that I kind of feel bad for them. If they're not embarrassed, they should be.[/quote]

:lol:[/quote]

Haters always come by free tickets. :lol:[/quote]

I wish I was a hater. I could have saved some money and seen Men Without Hats.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

A GREAT REVIEW of the VC show, being the reviewer thought their biggest song was named "Rocking All Night", you can't assume they were a fan before the show. haters be damned.

KISS rocks Vancouver

RATING FOR KISS CONCERT JULY, 6, 2013 VANCOUVER 5 Stars

http://www.examiner.com/review/kiss-rocks-vancouver

Last year the Paul McCartney concert reportedly scorched Rogers Arena roof on fire, leave it to KISS try and top Sir Paul by practically blowing the roof off (NOT literally). The band lived up to their hit song by "rocking all night" during the second stop of their 2013 North American tour. The fact that they have this much energy at their age is amazing, especially when you consider the multitude of Vancouver appearances they made this week.

Original members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have been rocking with KISS since they formed the band in 1973. The performers proved to be in top touring shape with both physical stamina as well as powerful vocals. The two were accompanied by newer KISS members Tommy Thayer (Spaceman/guitar), and Eric Singer (Catman /drums) .

The concert was a spectacular event complete with an amazing pyrotechnics, light show, and a massive set design which included a gigantic mechanical spider for a stage. True to his KISS persona as the "Demon" Simmons drooled,dripped blood and of course waved his famous tongue at the audience. Simmons hovered over the stage and Paul Stanley (Starchild) played his guitar as he flew over the audience to a platform in the center of the floor seating area.

KISS performed tracks from their new album 'Monster', and their biggest hits including,'Love Gun', 'Rock and roll all night', and 'I was made for loving you'. They all sounded fantastic, even when Paul sang 'a capella' he was able to hit the high notes LIVE, without the hi-tech sound engineering, and lip syncing so many current artists rely on.

The band is part of a pack of aging rockers like The Rolling Stones , who simply refuse to retire. When you can still rock all night and perform at your peak like they can, it's no wonder they refuse to sit back on their laurels. KISS in concert is everything you'd expect from them and more! If you get a chance to see KISS on their 2013 Tour, I highly recommend you go!
dicksteel
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by dicksteel »

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

WAY late for this, I rarely visit this part of the board.

For the record, McCartney played across the street, at BC Place Stadium, seating capacity 59,800 - not including floor seating. As a comparison, KISS didn't even fill the seats at the kiddy table. That "review" was highly misleading....

" be in top touring shape with both physical stamina as well as powerful vocals"

Tells me the reviewer wasn't at the actual concert.