Aussie Monster #5: Sydney, 3/9/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Aussie Monster #5: Sydney, 3/9/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:
http://www.kissfaq.com/tourdates/2013/2013-0309.php

Set list:
Detroit Rock City
Shout It Out Loud
Deuce
Firehouse
Hell or Hallelujah
Calling Dr. Love
Outta This World
Psycho Circus
I Love It Loud
Crazy Crazy Nights
War Machine
Love Gun
Rock And Roll All Nite
Lick It Up
Black Diamond

Set stats:
http://www.kissfaq.com/tourdates/2013/stats_2013.php
kinetic74
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Aussie Monster #5: Sydney, 3/9/13

Post by kinetic74 »

I didn't know Kiss were playing here on the 3rd September... ;)D
dute
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by dute »

Gig is tonight - to all those attending have fun!!
Looking forward to all the reviews/photos/video.
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Today can't go fast enough; neither could last night, I hate pre-show excitement.
Journey of 1000 Beers
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Journey of 1000 Beers »

Just got home from the show. I only made my mind up to go at 3pm today. Thought the show was good. No IWMFLY. Might give more of an update tomorrow
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

OblitzO
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by OblitzO »

It's crazy they're not playing iwmfly and shandi. While they're not favs of mine they went off in Perth.
They're really Aussie standards. Particulary shandi. That would get the most radio play over here.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

KISS AND THE SYDNEY ARMY!

KISSONLINE.com

Here's KISS and the Sydney KISS Army last night at the SOLD OUT Allphones Arena in Sydney.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

no god of thunder...? if you look at what there doing with the set list its changing back to the stale set list..they need to play 2-3 more songs its to short.
Last edited by scottkfan1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

There's really no reason why the band should only be playing 15 songs on a full headlining tour.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Anomaly wrote:There's really no reason why the band should only be playing 15 songs on a full headlining tour.
LMGRAR should have replaced IWMFLY in the encore. If they dropped Shandi because of Paul's vocals , HLW or Beth could have been done by Eric(or AFTLORAR).Wall of Sound should have never been played, Back To The Stone Age would have been better.

EDIT :shock: I just checked the length of the Udo Festival 06 show. 20 songs at less than 1 hour 45 minutes.
Last edited by kissthat on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
timstar78
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by timstar78 »

"Lick It Up" (Paul kicks a fan who ran onstage at 2:25):

"Detroit Rock City":

scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

they need to add more songs..nothin to lose ,common and love me,room service,god of thunder...drop War Machine,keep deuce in the show .kiss is Traveling with 18 semi trucks on this australian tour
Last edited by scottkfan1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

good for paul... that jerk off who ran onstage to many assholes in the world now they should beat the shit out of that moron
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

They seriously should let the Fans vote for the setlist on Kissonline. 40th anniversary Tour would be the perfect time to do so . After all , we are the Boss!
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

scottkfan1 wrote:good for paul... that jerk off who ran onstage to many assholes in the world now they should beat the shit out of that moron
Go on...?
steveh67
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steveh67 »

The show does seem short. MC definitely have more going on in their show.

It was good to hear Crazy Nights and War machine, although as expected Thayer is useless playing another guitarists licks.

I don't think ILIL fits with the blood routine at all. It's GOT or nothing for me.

I really don't understand why people think he is a good fit, he is boring to watch, and he can't play the songs the way they should be played. Vinnie songs too.

As discussed, Paul's vocal issues don't stand out as badly in the venues. I can clearly hear him straining and his voice breaking every now and then though.

The Sydney crowds as usual weren't getting into it. Paul even noted, you are a quiet crowd tonight.

The crowds reaction to the monster and 80s tracks proved they are only there to see the show and hits. Hardcore/diehards clearly have dwindled in numbers now.

Merchandise was incredibly expensive. I didn't buy a Kiss shirt, and only the MC shirt + monster tourbook

All in all, KISS put on a good show for the nostalgic crowd.
Last edited by steveh67 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Journey of 1000 Beers
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

steveh67 wrote:The show does seem short. MC definitely have more going on in their show.
It was good to hear Crazy Nights and War machine, although as expected Thayer is useless playing another guitarists licks.

I really don't understand why people think he is a good fit, he is boring to watch, and he can't play the songs the way they should be played. Vinnie songs too.

As discussed, Paul's vocal issues don't stand put as badly in the venues. I can clearly hear him straining and his voice breaking every now and then though.

The Sydney crowds as usual weren't getting into it. Paul even noted, you are a quite crowd tonight.

The crowds reaction to the monster and 80s tracks proved they are only there to see the show and hits. Hardcore/diehards clearly have dwindled in numbers now.

Merchandise was incredibly expensive. I didn't buy a Kiss shirt, and only the MC shirt + monster tourbook

I thought Tommy was fine - i thought Out Of This World was pretty darn good - and I agree that Paul's vocals aren't as noticeable when you are in the venue. Whilst the set didn't cater to hardcore fans I think it was good. I also enjoyed War Machine and Crazy Nights and it was great hearing the new material live. I thought I'd be jaded about hearing some of the same old songs again (like I Love It Loud, a song that I've never really cared for) but got into it

This pains me to say but Mötley put on a better "show" IMO. Not necessarily better overall but the visually. Would be better if Vince Neil wasn't so lazy.
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Diva Demolition: bah
Think Lizzy: bah, and that ain't Think Lizzy (duh!)
Crue: better than in '11, Vince even sounded pretty good.
KISS: absolutely fantastic, loved every second. CCN sounded weird. Would have prefered a more varied setlist but whatever. At least no IWMFLY, can't stand that crap.
Deleted User 32

Post by Deleted User 32 »

steveh67 wrote:The show does seem short. MC definitely have more going on in their show.

I don't think ILIL fits with the blood routine at all. It's GOT or nothing for me.

As discussed, Paul's vocal issues don't stand out as badly in the venues. I can clearly hear him straining and his voice breaking every now and then though.

The Sydney crowds as usual weren't getting into it. Paul even noted, you are a quiet crowd tonight.

The show is shorter, however, with three other bands on the bill we all knew this would happen. Still, 15 Kiss songs, 12 Motley songs, 10 Thin Lizzy songs and Diva Demolition opening, I thought it was a great overall package and well worth the money.

Tommy played fine on the 80's songs. Sure, not note for note (and some will drop buckets on him for this because of a statement he made years ago) but what he did play sounded great to my ears and fit the songs. He fits in the band more now than he has in the past and I had no trouble identifying every song he played.

Paul's vocals are fine at the show and when he's not yodelling or screaming he still has the voice.

Ah, Steve, Paul basically tells every crowd that they're not loud enough in one or another. You may have been seted near some quiet people, but where I was the place was going nuts and compared to the Melbourne crowd, Sydney went off. And everyone around us sang every word to the newer songs.

Expensive merchandise? Yes and no. $50 is expensive for a shirt, but, that's standard fair for all concerts in Australia. Everything else seemed on par.

Kiss put on a great show, not just for those with nostalgia in mind, but also for those who love rock and roll done well.

Motley? They had more bombs, pyro and staging and their show was hugely entertaining. After last night I really can't comment on Vince's voice. I thought he was doing well, but after the major fuckup at the first verse of Home Sweet Home where it was clear that his vocal backing track didn't kick in (and caught hm un aware when it finally did) I have no idea what parts of the vocals are live and which ones are canned.

The surprise band for me has been Thin Lizzy. Absolutely awesome.
dute
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by dute »

firekiss wrote:

The show is shorter, however, with three other bands on the bill we all knew this would happen. Still, 15 Kiss songs, 12 Motley songs, 10 Thin Lizzy songs and Diva Demolition opening, I thought it was a great overall package and well worth the money.

Tommy played fine on the 80's songs. Sure, not note for note (and some will drop buckets on him for this because of a statement he made years ago) but what he did play sounded great to my ears and fit the songs. He fits in the band more now than he has in the past and I had no trouble identifying every song he played.

Paul's vocals are fine at the show and when he's not yodelling or screaming he still has the voice.

Ah, Steve, Paul basically tells every crowd that they're not loud enough in one or another. You may have been seted near some quiet people, but where I was the place was going nuts and compared to the Melbourne crowd, Sydney went off. And everyone around us sang every word to the newer songs.

Expensive merchandise? Yes and no. $50 is expensive for a shirt, but, that's standard fair for all concerts in Australia. Everything else seemed on par.

Kiss put on a great show, not just for those with nostalgia in mind, but also for those who love rock and roll done well.

Motley? They had more bombs, pyro and staging and their show was hugely entertaining. After last night I really can't comment on Vince's voice. I thought he was doing well, but after the major fuckup at the first verse of Home Sweet Home where it was clear that his vocal backing track didn't kick in (and caught hm un aware when it finally did) I have no idea what parts of the vocals are live and which ones are canned.

Indeed. This isn't new news. Tour merch is expensive, doesn't matter if it's KISS or Justin Bieber.

And just slightly off topic, I always love the diversity of the crowd. On my second night, we were seated with two women who had been to the 1980 show. Now that is cool.
timstar78 wrote:"Lick It Up" (Paul kicks a fan who ran onstage at 2:25):

That fan is a clown.
Journey of 1000 Beers
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

firekiss wrote:

As a casual Thin Lizzy fan I went in thinking they'd be ok and they were great. Fantastic to finally hear The Cowboy song live 8)
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

I know expensive merch isn't new, i'm comparing with the decades of seeing concerts that I have, and also the online prices vs venue markup.

I disagree with the Scott on the crowd reaction though, I pretty much sure the whole arena except for some parts of the very top deck, and the crowd was definately subdued to me.

Again, I have always found crowd response hit and miss in Sydney with the many many concerts I have attended.
kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

Saw KISS last night! Pretty good, highlights/lowlights:

• Motley opened, shocked all the kiddies in the audience talking about and flashing the word SEX on the big screen multiple times. A few embarrassed dads next to their 9-yo old girls!!! :-O

• Deuce sounded great

• Psycho Circus sounded flat and boring (Wish they'd drop this)

• Tommy really has improved as a guitarist since the last tour (even though I miss Ace)

• Paul's voice is a bit rough. Can't do the high notes as well any more. Was quite shocked by it.

• Gene wished Shannon a Happy Birthday from the lighting rig before launching into "I Love It Loud"

• And at least the set list had a few special returns like "War Machine" but felt VERY short.

• Picked up the new tour book which is huge, a MONSTER tour key chain and the KISS Love Australia can cooler
nightflight77

Post by nightflight77 »

timstar78 wrote:"Lick It Up" (Paul kicks a fan who ran onstage at 2:25):

"Detroit Rock City":

I was just going to say that Paul need to be replaced and retire but Lick It Up sounds really good to me and this was one song that always sounded rough. And he's actually singing the song and not talking.
nightflight77

Post by nightflight77 »

Why can't we talk about Vince and his backing vocals? They are part of the Kiss tour and why do they get a pass on this and not Paul's voice? Give me Paul's voice and all it's flaws over Vince's canned vocals any day.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

We can talk about Vince all you want, he was always a shitty singer . Paul Had a Great voice . Motley fans Expect Vince to sound like Shit , Kiss fans were never used to Paul sounding like a Dead Frog , as bad as some of those setlists were in the 80's , you Knew Paul would kick ass . Those days are gone
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

I can't believe they dropped "Wall Of Sound".

I can't believe they didn't replace "Long Way Down" with "Freak" or "Shout Mercy".

What a WASTE.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Erwin

Post by Erwin »

-
Last edited by Erwin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Goin' Blind - Acoustic Set Meet and Greet March 9th, 2013

Hide Your Heart - Acoustic Set Meet and Greet March 9th, 2013
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Take Me Down Below
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Excellent!
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Bass solo and I love it loud

Good quality, not sure if it's from the first or second date hough
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

I guarantee Gene's only heard "Take Me Down Below" once and that's when he recorded the vocals.

Embarrassing.
Beauvoir
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Beauvoir »

firekiss wrote: After last night I really can't comment on Vince's voice. I thought he was doing well, but after the major fuckup at the first verse of Home Sweet Home where it was clear that his vocal backing track didn't kick in (and caught hm un aware when it finally did) I have no idea what parts of the vocals are live and which ones are canned.
Wow, any clips of this circulating?
pwhats31
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by pwhats31 »

Good live video of the Sydney show. I missed it, so living through this:

http://www.evergig.com/embed/concerts/2 ... _Park/Kiss