EOTR 2019 - Sep. 1, St. Louis, MO

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

EOTR 2019 - Sep. 1, St. Louis, MO

Post by Admin »

Plan meetups, discuss/review the show, share the set list...
You Are Bad Phil
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: EOTR 2019 - Sep. 1, St. Louis, MO

Post by You Are Bad Phil »

Until I was handed two free lawn tickets, I wasn’t planning on going tonight. I’ve seen them ebough times, and the stand-in-place, Lip Sync Battle reviews didn’t thrill me.

But then I couldn’t decide which of the 2 kids to take with me to at least show them a shadow of what I fell in love with 43 years ago. So I popped for one extra lawn ticket, and now I’m taking my teenage kids. And for them, I’m pumped and will sing out one last time tonight.

Some local articles:
1. A by-the-numbers interview with Paul (that's already been discussed here): https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... 90b0e.html

2. A rundown of the times Kiss has played in STL: https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... 02547.html

3. A funny commentary from two K-SHE DJs on a recent Gene interview. They also bring in the DJ who drove Kiss from the airport to the K-SHE Kite Flying event. Some interesting stuff here from a primary source: xhttps://www.podcastone.com/episode/Gene-Simmons ... nce--Ep-47
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

Well, I pulled the trigger today and got a single ticket. I too was planning to sit this one out. Despite my feelings about the canned vocals and Paul's deteriorating voice, I decided I had to see this show for the visuals. The pictures have been stunning thus far and being there should be that much better.
You Are Bad Phil
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

I'm with ya, D. I actually hope that the "oh, what the hell" crowd like us will seek each other out on the lawn and toast and scream one lasts time. (While pissing off the phone-gazers who'll plunk their asses back on their blankets during "Say Yeah." :) )

Silly thing: My daughter didn't seem to understand that an artist is opening the show when I told her a guy would be painting on stage; she honestly thought there might have been a character---The Painter---like the Demon, etc. on stage with Kiss. Holy moley.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

I recently moved up here to St. Louis and I’m still on the fence about going

I guess I better make up my mind quick
PsychoElder
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by PsychoElder »

Have a great time tonight guys, wish I could be there.
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

Looks like lawn is still $40. Some single seats in the back side sections have slashed to $65. Regardless, the weather is beautiful here today in the mid 70s, should be a great night for my final Kiss show.
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Thanks to those going to do us all a favour, you rock!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Another date on the EOTR tour and another full house. Nice job KISS Army Maryland Heights!
BBF19097-D028-4BAC-B645-9A45E302BE34.jpeg
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

They are certainly making the most of their one-night stands
Jamcarl321
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Jamcarl321 »

Have a great time people! :D
stlkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by stlkiss »

I’m here! Ready to say goodbye!
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Come down to Little Rock this Thursday and get a nice seat in an air-conditioned venue for $10.
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CStomp1 »

Crown Royal wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:39 pm They are certainly making the most of their one-night stands
One show in some of these sheds can be the equivalent in many cases of two arena shows in the same market. Case in point the 24,000 in Indy last night. I have a friend at the St. Louis show (her first KISS show) and she said she's never seen that venue as jam packed as it is tonight, and she's been to many shows there.

So yes they are making the most of these one night stands, but why do I suspect (and I could be wrong) you're taking a shot at them in comparison to the multi nights on the Reunion Tour? I would never minimize what they did on that tour, but I don't recall them doing many sheds then. It's kind of apples and oranges venue wise, and I really have no interest in comparing the tours because they are so different in numerous ways. I do know that at the end of 2019 when everything is tallied the EOTR tour is going to be highly successful without dispute.
You Are Bad Phil
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Yes, the place was indeed packed---like, as crowded as I've ever seen a show at this venue.

No surprises in the show, of course. The only surprise came from me, at discovering how good of a time I had. I've been wanting this tour to do so-so just to send G&P some kind of message, whether to check their hypocrisy or for staying too late to the party. But the audience simply didn't give a shit. Even with a free ticket, I wasn't wearing my curmudgeon hat and trying to convince people they were witnessing Faux-Kiss. It didn't matter. Kiss was more energetic than I expected, and so was I.

So I'm glad I went.
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

You Are Bad Phil wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm Yes, the place was indeed packed---like, as crowded as I've ever seen a show at this venue.

No surprises in the show, of course. The only surprise came from me, at discovering how good of a time I had. I've been wanting this tour to do so-so just to send G&P some kind of message, whether to check their hypocrisy or for staying too late to the party. But the audience simply didn't give a shit. Even with a free ticket, I wasn't wearing my curmudgeon hat and trying to convince people they were witnessing Faux-Kiss. It didn't matter. Kiss was more energetic than I expected, and so was I.

So I'm glad I went.
Phil “your the man” so please could you answer some questions about the concert?

1. Did Paul actually eat pizza?

2. Did Paul really pay to fly with Batman?

3. Did KISS lie and there actually was someone who brought shampoo to the show?

4. Did Paul thank his Mom for the guitar?

5. Was the venue smelly, Ewwwwww!

6. Did they play any Batman Jazz?

7. Were you bad at the concert Phil?

8. Are are they now called The Jungle Group?

9. Did they play the theme from Dallas?

10. Did you fit your pants? You don’t have to answer that one, a bit rude of me Phil. Sorry.

Glad you had a great time! :)
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

Fantastic show. The crowd was huge and pumped. Everyone from the the family behind me, a MOM and dad in their 50s with their 25 year old son all attending their first ever KISS show to the guy next to them attending his 36th. So many wearing KISS T-shirts from years past and lots of face painting with several in full costume. It was a great sight to see and pumped me up as well. I even enjoyed Garibaldi more than I thought I would. The band was great, especially Gene. I think he could do this forever as he seems to enjoy this role so much. All the nonsense I put myself through the past year being pissed off about the lip syncing and planning to sit this one out left as soon as the lights dimmed and the curtain dropped. Yes I knew it was happening and even watched intently to try and confirm but ultimately, it didn't effect my enjoyment of the show. The merch was awesome but I drew the line at spending $50 for a tee shirt so just went with the tour book. I did snag a bootleg shirt for $20 on the way out. I was so glad that I went which was my 14th and last live KISS show.
BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

Thanks for the candid and entertaining reviews. Nice to hear that a good time was had by all...and many.
You Are Bad Phil
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

The doctor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:58 am
You Are Bad Phil wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm Yes, the place was indeed packed---like, as crowded as I've ever seen a show at this venue.

So I'm glad I went.
Phil “your the man” so please could you answer some questions about the concert?

1. Did Paul actually eat pizza?

2. Did Paul really pay to fly with Batman?

3. Did KISS lie and there actually was someone who brought shampoo to the show?

4. Did Paul thank his Mom for the guitar?

5. Was the venue smelly, Ewwwwww!

6. Did they play any Batman Jazz?

7. Were you bad at the concert Phil?

8. Are are they now called The Jungle Group?

9. Did they play the theme from Dallas?

10. Did you fit your pants? You don’t have to answer that one, a bit rude of me Phil. Sorry.

Glad you had a great time! :)
If you don't the answers to these questions, I feel so bad for you. Because I'm so good for me. For me!

:D
atowntommy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by atowntommy »

I went and was glad I did. This was the second show I've seen this year. When I left the show earlier this year, I knew I still wanted more KISS. Yes, they are not 25 anymore. Yes, there are elements of the production that are canned. So what?

The Who has been playing Baba O'Riley for almost 50 years. It's show business. If you want a serious virtuoso performance, go see your local chamber orchestra.

Anyway, the pods, the videos, the sparklers, bombs and all the rest make a for freaking fun night of spectacle. I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't make things happen for the Indy or Cincy shows. I'm hoping there's a 3rd leg/Lost Cities thing and I can hit Dayton or Knoxville or whatever.

So. Much. Fun.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

I asked my friend who attended this show what she thought? Her response:

"OMG now I know what all the fuss is about. Best concert ever. To be honest not a huge fan before but am now. It was amazing."

What's amazing is KISS can still turn people into fans - even 50+ year olds seeing them for the first time. Pretty cool.
You Are Bad Phil
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

A decent review and a ton of photos from last night's show:
https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... f54.html#4

The article claims 17,500 in attendance (vs. Paul's claims of 20K last night). We'll see what Nibbs nails down.