EOTR 2019 - Sep. 8, San Antonio, TX

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

EOTR 2019 - Sep. 8, San Antonio, TX

Post by Admin »

Plan meetups, discuss/review the show, share the set list...
Padilla18
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: EOTR 2019 - Sep. 8, San Antonio, TX

Post by Padilla18 »

No SA posts yet? I attended probably my last KISS show ever last night, unless they decide to hit Austin later on the tour. My sister and I walked up to the box office 10 minutes before the gates opened and got us 2 $41 tickets. 2nd row from the top on Tommy's side. I wanted to enjoy this show, not worry about taking pics or vids, just stand, stomp my foot, pound my fist and sing along. And man, it was a blast. Yeah I wanted to hear something obscure for the die hard I am, but I was singing along to every song. A couple of times I was like, ok Paul, get to the next song. That was my only complaint. Band sounded great. Pyro was awesome. From where I was on top, hard to see the pods, so lost a little bit of the show there. SA KISS Army was out in full force. Only empty seats I saw were scattered ones on the very top row. What I thought was funny was after Black Diamond, people were headed to the exits. Don't know if they wanted to beat traffic, but there were still 3 songs to go.

If you're still on the fence, you're not gonna see 1977 KISS. Hell, not even 1995 KISS. But you're going to have a good time. you know, a rock and roll paaaaarty!
PsychoElder
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by PsychoElder »

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the show.
dglaize
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

San Antonio Show

Post by dglaize »

So last night I went to the show. Have been a fan since 75. Have been to many shows with different lineups. Just a few observations I have from the show. I will start with the tour opener, David Garibaldi. I was not sure how something like that would go. Would there be a lot of people there for him? How would the crowd's reaction to him be? Well I would have to say that he had a large part of the audience there and they ate it up. He did an great job entertaining the crowd and getting them ready. I would definitely recommend seeing him before the show. So now with KISS. First observation I noticed was the stage. It's one thing to see it on video. It's another thing to see it in person. By far I enjoyed this stage more than any other. Excellent job with stage design and lighting. I will also say this is the most pyro I have ever seen them use. I have heard people knock them for not doing anything different with the stage show. Where there are certain things they do tour to tour they have tweaked it somewhat. Much of the tweaking deals with the lighting system they are using I would say. I mean what are you wanting them to do? A KISS show is a KISS show... If it's not broken don't try to fix it. Yes I have been a dedicated fan since 75. Does not mean I am a kiss-ass because I am not overly critical? NO! I just look at this way... Would I have regretted not going to this show? The answer is yes I would. I know people are also critical of the set-list. I personally liked it. Of course you can always say you would like this song instead of that song. But I will say I liked the order of the songs they used. With all that said I would definitely recommend going. My of fate I will be going to the Houston show tonight. So if you decide to go, do it with an open mind and just go out and enjoy the experience.
drolaw
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by drolaw »

I went last night and enjoyed the concert. For the first time in a long time I went to a KISS show and had no prior knowledge of the set list, what the staged looked like or any other internet spoilers. It was nice not knowing the set list because it provided a freshness to a KISS concert that has been lacking (for me) since the internet became a thing. I was really surprised by Crazy Nights which I thought sounded great. The band overall sounded awesome. I really liked the stage and the effects. Overall, it was fun and bittersweet.

I say bittersweet because KISS has been in my life since 1978 (8 years old at the time) and it hit me that there will never be a 'new' album and tour from KISS - like the good old days. I'll always have the songs, videos, and memories but as I get older I realize that I need to cherish every moment. Basically, I got emotional like I was saying goodbye to my youth and admitting that I'm middle age (50 yrs) and that KISS won't be around forever.

Although... Gene still grossed me out with his twerking - GENE PLEASE STOP twerking with your bass. Not cool...lol.
Hipster1
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Re: San Antonio Show

Post by Hipster1 »

dglaize wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am So last night I went to the show. Have been a fan since 75. Have been to many shows with different lineups. Just a few observations I have from the show. I will start with the tour opener, David Garibaldi. I was not sure how something like that would go. Would there be a lot of people there for him? How would the crowd's reaction to him be? Well I would have to say that he had a large part of the audience there and they ate it up. He did an great job entertaining the crowd and getting them ready. I would definitely recommend seeing him before the show. So now with KISS. First observation I noticed was the stage. It's one thing to see it on video. It's another thing to see it in person. By far I enjoyed this stage more than any other. Excellent job with stage design and lighting. I will also say this is the most pyro I have ever seen them use. I have heard people knock them for not doing anything different with the stage show. Where there are certain things they do tour to tour they have tweaked it somewhat. Much of the tweaking deals with the lighting system they are using I would say. I mean what are you wanting them to do? A KISS show is a KISS show... If it's not broken don't try to fix it. Yes I have been a dedicated fan since 75. Does not mean I am a kiss-ass because I am not overly critical? NO! I just look at this way... Would I have regretted not going to this show? The answer is yes I would. I know people are also critical of the set-list. I personally liked it. Of course you can always say you would like this song instead of that song. But I will say I liked the order of the songs they used. With all that said I would definitely recommend going. My of fate I will be going to the Houston show tonight. So if you decide to go, do it with an open mind and just go out and enjoy the experience.

Great review!!!!
dglaize
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by dglaize »

Thanks.
KLP68
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KLP68 »

Was there it was great. Next concert Austin, Texas on Oct,1, 2020. Maybe Lubbock, Texas or Lafayette, Louisiana in March. Depends on on how far my hand surgery has recovered. Austin360 for sure I already have my tickets.
KLP68
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KLP68 »

Yes, next show for me will be Lafayette Louisiana Cajun Dome on March 14 and I can’t wait. Austin 360 is now Germania Insurance amphitheater that will be my 3rd EOTR concert and will be my first outside KISS concert. San Antonio was great especially the age range of the fans. Many groups and families that spanned three generations. Seeing grandpa and grandma dressed up as KISS and the following generations as well was awesome. A few in my group never seen a KISS before and they are still talking about it so they are going again when KISS finally arrives in Austin on Oct 1.