STAR TREK: The Motion Picture

Forum dedicated to discussion of movies and television.
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: STAR TREK: The Motion Picture

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm No, Gene -- leave this one undefiled by your middle-aged, adulterous ... probe! You and your damnable casting couch!!

Why did Roddenberry have to be so lecherous? How is it that Nurse Chapel failed so miserably in keeping him sufficiently sated ... and completely satisfied? Perhaps she was up to the challenge, until Persis came along to erode, compromise -- and violate -- their sacred trust ...

Truly an exceptional beauty in all her states: bald ... coiffed ... and everything in between. I can only imagine that her Hindu beliefs are what prevented her from revealing all to her cinematic audience around the world. Having a heart condition so young, though, with so much going for her, must've driven her to distraction. Undoubtedly, contributing to her reputed malfeasance.
I'm pretty sure Gene & Majel had an open relationship, which simply metamorphosed into an open marriage (circa ‘69). And when Nichelle Nichols was sexually involved with Gene, he was presumably also involved with Majel Barrett (this is all even before TREK); of which then became 'a love triangle' (excluding Gene's then wife), until Nichelle tapped-out, mainly because she felt Majel actually loved Gene. Whereas she didn't & didn't want to be the other woman to the other woman, since she also knew Majel, but only as an acquaintance.

And Gene, like a significant no. of Americans (circa ‘60's-‘70's), turned his back on the religion he was raised on. Had countless affairs with women he worked with (during his first marriage), even before finding himself hustling for Hollywood. He considered himself 'a humanist'; although, in actuality, someone more likely along the lines of the infamous Harvey Weinstein. Plus of course, not something TREK fans are all that pleased any of those quite unsavory reality trivia facts n' details, finally had surfaced.

I’ve never came across anything about any of Gene’s indiscretions & not a peep or a word, not until the advent of the internet age. Anyway, all highly likely Persis & Gene had a brief sexual affair (circa ‘77-‘78), even would bet money on it, too. I was able to rapidly assimilate enough required information to make an informed assessment, thankfully. No stopping this Borg Cube (& I know, it sounds Swedish).

😆
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Bruce »

Curious, isn't it, how even with fame, wealth, power and prestige, its the mad pursuit of that bow-chikka-bow-bow that always leads to their eventual downfall ... and disgrace.

Even in the promos, it creeps in. I mean, look at this shit: we've got Captain Molesty, over here, using the weight of his stare to pressure Ilia. Ah ... there's too much 'Humanity' rearing its ugly head, if you peer too closely. Best to take the film on face value, for the adventure of it. The awe and wonder of it all. Some of which was captured in the film's extensive merchandising ...

I love the artwork on this box! Am quite beside myself, with it. It's wonderful ...

And this ain't even the half of it -- all kinds of knick knacks had Star Trek slapped on the side of it, to further fuel the imagination ... and cash in on this motion picture event. This site talks more about it all, in great detail. Gets all up in it ...

https://www.wixiban.com/toys/mego-movie.htm
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm -- all kinds of knick knacks had Star Trek slapped on the side of it, to further fuel the imagination ... and cash in on this motion picture event. This site talks more about it all, in great detail. Gets all up in it ...

https://www.wixiban.com/toys/mego-movie.htm
They sure did go all-out with products for TMP. And quite certain I had seen them 'all' floating around the convenience, department, hobby, toy & bookstores, even arcades, fast-food chains, etc. back then.

However, despite a decent enough variety of products, don't believe much of anything flew-off the shelves in record time, unlike "STAR WARS" related products. The demand just wasn't there as probably forecasted, I'd say mainly because the motion picture event itself, didn't meet fan expectations. Also, didn't spawn a huge influx of new fans & George would continue to reign supreme, in the merchandise department.

The majority of TMP related products, inevitably wound-up being liquidated, well-below suggested retail pricing. Nevertheless, during late 1979 through 1980 ...one would've had no trouble at all finding most of the newly available products, almost anywhere (in the US).

Perhaps McDonald's 'ST Happy Meal' had the most success; as they reportedly moved an estimated 50-million units (circa Dec. '79 - Feb. '80).

Image.💰

The most difficult to locate a regular supply of was the TOPPS TMP trading cards n' stickers; as I didn't see those stocked anywhere, commonly. Nonetheless, I eventually was able find them at a convenience store, but much further away than I really wanted to go & inconsistently stocked.

🃏.🤨

And those would be among the final type of cards n' stickers I would give-out as (babysitting) treats; as by summertime '82, no more of it at all. Historically, I gave-out 'KISS' ones (up until enough parents got mad at me), "STAR WARS", "Battlestar Galactica", "MOONRAKER" (OO7), "The Black Hole", "STAR WARS: The Empire Strikes Back" & of course... "STAR TREK: The Motion Picture".

🎈
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Very interesting! Star Trek the Motion Picture was, perhaps, too philosophical & spiritual for the knick knack market. But the Herculean effort employed to connect the film with people in a more tangible -- and profitable -- way is particularly noteworthy. If not particularly successful. Even the posters for the film were realized by one of the biggest names in pop art and illustration ...

Bob Peak! He had such an impact on graphics in The Sixties, Seventies & Eighties. He'd done extensive work on illustrations that appeared in the opening/end credits of Wise's West Side Story, so there was that connection, as well. But he'd done posters for everything from Superman the Movie to Apocolypse Now ... you name it, he probably did it. Very prolific artist. In fact, here are a couple of alternative Star Trek: The Motion Picture posters he produced, besides the main 'prism' poster. There were others, but these are pretty neat ...

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 pm Very interesting! Star Trek the Motion Picture was, perhaps, too philosophical & spiritual for the knick knack market. But the Herculean effort employed to connect the film with people in a more tangible -- and profitable -- way is particularly noteworthy. If not particularly successful. Even the posters for the film were realized by one of the biggest names in pop art and illustration ...

Bob Peak! He had such an impact on graphics in The Sixties, Seventies & Eighties. He'd done extensive work on illustrations that appeared in the opening/end credits of Wise's West Side Story, so there was that connection, as well. But he'd done posters for everything from Superman the Movie to Apocolypse Now ... you name it, he probably did it. Very prolific artist. In fact, here are a couple of alternative Star Trek: The Motion Picture posters he produced, besides the main 'prism' poster. There were others, but these are pretty neat ...

I thought Bob's 'prism' main primary poster was the best, even still the best out of any of the TREK posters to date. 👌🏻

I recall this was the first 'teaser' poster I saw (circa late '78) & painted by John Berkey, originally for the aborted "PHASE II" series.

Image Image Image Image Image

And this was the first magazine I recall seeing any 'hot-off-the-press photographs' from the actual production (upon filming). If I'm remembering right, the issue was probably first on racks by late August '78.

Finally, this was the first preview trailer I saw (posted already) & I'm quite certain I saw it projected in 70mm (before a 70mm feature presentation). I'm guessing Gene (once again) experienced 'waves of pleasure' as Orson Wells seductively said, "Persis Khambatta...".

🧐 Designer David Kimble's cutaway poster of refit Enterprise was pretty neato as well. And really gives one a far better understanding of whereabouts everything was, onboard.

Real n' retired Enterprise beside the new one, presently under construction. What's different? Everything, the entire world, for starters... 😮
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The Navy is building another Enterprise?! Wow ... I didn't expect that. I don't know why ... just so many names to choose from, I guess. But thats so cool ... the name Enterprise continues ...

The Motion Picture's Enterprise was briefly enveloped in this scaffolding referred to as Space Dock, which we know was represented by a physical prop ... a model. Or was it?

Look at the size of this monster! Obviously a mattepainting, representing the space dock. This thing is ... unbelievable, is what it is! We'll never see this approach taken in a film, again. Some of the ship's wing is painted in, unfinished. But I honestly have no idea what shot this was used for. They all look like the model in the film. Imagine this painting not being used, at all! Its one thing to have a scene of dialogue cut, but all of the wasted manhours, on this. Unbelievable.

This was another deleted scene, with sets built and everything. At least Clint's kids got to see it. One usually thinks of fans with money to burn getting visitor passes to these things. So its just kinda cool that a celebrity would take his kids to go see Captain Kirk and Mister Spock on the set. Although, the whole Eastwood clan, here, seems kinda bored. Maybe taking advantage of meeting your heroes like that isn't always in a (young) fan's best interest.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Designer David Kimble's cutaway poster of refit Enterprise was pretty neato as well. And really gives one a far better understanding of whereabouts everything was, onboard.
That's pretty damn cool. All hand-rendered with great precision and artistry. Then, decades go by along with cgi advances, and along comes Donny Versiga, who has a site where he illustrates TMP (and other sci-fi) starships and interiors:

https://donnyversiga.artstation.com/albums/24279

And this is but a sampling. I've only just discovered him. Why he's whipping these up, I don't know. 'Fun,' maybe? Possibly related to Star Trek video games ... In any event, these renderings are highly detailed ... and very charming. Talk about being inspired!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 pm The Navy is building another Enterprise?! Wow ... I didn't expect that. I don't know why ... just so many names to choose from, I guess. But thats so cool ... the name Enterprise continues ...

The Motion Picture's Enterprise was briefly enveloped in this scaffolding referred to as Space Dock, which we know was represented by a physical prop ... a model. Or was it?

Look at the size of this monster! Obviously a mattepainting, representing the space dock. This thing is ... unbelievable, is what it is! We'll never see this approach taken in a film, again. Some of the ship's wing is painted in, unfinished. But I honestly have no idea what shot this was used for. They all look like the model in the film. Imagine this painting not being used, at all! Its one thing to have a scene of dialogue cut, but all of the wasted manhours, on this. Unbelievable.

This was another deleted scene, with sets built and everything. At least Clint's kids got to see it. One usually thinks of fans with money to burn getting visitor passes to these things. So its just kinda cool that a celebrity would take his kids to go see Captain Kirk and Mister Spock on the set. Although, the whole Eastwood clan, here, seems kinda bored. Maybe taking advantage of meeting your heroes like that isn't always in a (young) fan's best interest.
What's a little ironic about it, the next Enterprise (CVN-80) is the third of the new 'Gerald R. Ford-class' supercarriers. And it was President Ford that made it clear to the American public, the prototype Space Shuttle Enterprise (OV-101) was not named after the "STAR TREK" one. With Ford insinuating not because 'TREKKIES' had a write-in campaign (to the President & NASA) requesting that the very first shuttle be named Enterprise, after the television one.

Anyhow, Ford reechoed the same thing Gene himself did previously; as in (shuttle) Enterprise was actually named after the WWII combat veteran Enterprise (CV-6). The White House did officially acknowledge receiving request letters from fans, but the President himself would not.

Nichelle had a contract (through her own consultation firm) with NASA, in educating the public (particularly women & minorities) about NASA's space program, etc. And so, NASA themselves were quite excited that the new prototype orbiter be named Enterprise. A public ceremony officially unveiling the shuttle, also featuring the original cast (minus Bill), along with Gene was held on Constitution Day ’76.

Originally, Gene was considering using 'Yorktown'; nevertheless, was so impressed with CV-6's overall service record (in being the most decorated ship in our naval history), he ended-up going with Enterprise. My Dad guessed it was named after CVN-65 & because it was our biggest, most technologically advanced warship, at the time. And because of that, for quite sometime I thought so, too.

Gene even gifted Bob an authentic Enterprise baseball-styled cap (one of the former Captains of CVN-65 gave to Gene as a gift, previously) on the bridge set on the first day of shooting TMP. I recall a short clip of Gene doing so (on the evening news) the day the production reportedly began filming.

Historically, the original theme from TREK was played over the ship's loudspeakers (as 'breakaway music'); after they were resupplied at sea by whatever support ship from the Big E's battlegroup. Eventually, they updated to the TMP/TNG opening theme; as that one became the modern popular choice (subject to Captain's discretion).

I really have no idea what shot that painting would've been used for; aside from anything projected in-front of Kirk & Scotty, but with the camera in-behind them, even then...

One thing I've noticed about the UHD edition, a minor loss of detail (compared to Blu-ray) with many of the visual effects shots. And what needs to be done is the 65mm VFX footage needs to be separately scanned as well at 4K (or even preferably higher). They need to digitally rebuild the film properly & have Technicolor produce a new definitive master, too (all done under Doug & John's direct supervision).

Clint was another one that was a real strange guy in his private life; however, mostly according to his ex Sondra Locke. I read her autobiography & it was absolutely brutal. And if he was truly like that, she was truly just as stupid to put-up with it, totally ridiculous, the both of them.

🤔
Last edited by jkiss on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Shatner's nowhere to be seen, but Nimoy & the 2nd bananas are out in force, with Roddenberry leading the charge to further encourage and re-enforce this unhealthy role-playing NASA's always done with Star Trek. Not sure if it helped the movie or not, though.

Aparently, NASA glommed onto Star Trek, right out of the box, even. Here, Gene, James and DeForest assure the salivating eggheads that NASA will surely develop warp speed.

Aircraft carriers of that era, like Enterprise, are some ugly behemoths! Hard to believe that the even larger USS Enterprise from Star Trek would ever be designed to be a work of art, if any reality were applied to it. Saying of Star Trek reality ...

I was vaguely aware of Nichelle's being asked by NASA to recruit women and minorities for the agency. I know that some were, but just how directly involved Nichols was, who knows? Even she doesn't, as she's got dementia really bad, now. But just so anyone else still reading this shit understands this: there's so much more to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, than meets the eye!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:17 pm Image

Shatner's nowhere to be seen, but Nimoy & the 2nd bananas are out in force, with Roddenberry leading the charge to further encourage and re-enforce this unhealthy role-playing NASA's always done with Star Trek. Not sure if it helped the movie or not, though.

Aparently, NASA glommed onto Star Trek, right out of the box, even. Here, Gene, James and DeForest assure the salivating eggheads that NASA will surely develop warp speed.

Aircraft carriers of that era, like Enterprise, are some ugly behemoths! Hard to believe that the even larger USS Enterprise from Star Trek would ever be designed to be a work of art, if any reality were applied to it. Saying of Star Trek reality ...

I was vaguely aware of Nichelle's being asked by NASA to recruit women and minorities for the agency. I know that some were, but just how directly involved Nichols was, who knows? Even she doesn't, as she's got dementia really bad, now. But just so anyone else still reading this shit understands this: there's so much more to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, than meets the eye!
I don't believe TMP ever needed help enticing audiences, almost none whatsoever; as whatever movie or television series they did was guaranteed to hit the roof, regardless. Nevertheless, the popular fan preference for the big comeback would've been on television.

📺.🤗

And it hit the roof, problem being they spent too much getting there, but really only a problem for those at Paramount (a Gulf+Western company, a conglomerate). And Harve Bennett & Nicolas Meyers would have a solution to that problem when following it up. It'd all become the gravy train Paramount envisioned, hugely profitable (as like the OS was in worldwide television syndication, already). Even with Gene, he struggled for a good portion of the 1970's; however, by the time he passed in 1991, his & Majel's estate was worth an estimated 400-million.

🤑.💰

To put the 'TREKKIE' shuttle renaming campaign into perspective, it simply again proved how outrageously popular TREK was. And how Science Fiction (in general) was really something on the minds of more n' more Americans, far more than ever before. General public interest was growing exponentially, compared to the low level of typical niche interest, historically. And climaxing, probably even orgasimically with the President basically whispering to NASA under soft moonlight, "Let them eat cake."

👥🍰👥

The same went with interest in all things Space exploration, NASA, etc; altogether, developing into a mutualistic relationship (NASA + TREK).

Bill might've not been able to make the official unveiling, but didn't discourage NASA from later awarding him their highest civilian award ('Distinguished Public Service' medal), in 2014. An incredible achievement, obviously.

😅.🥇

One can now easily find-out about what all NASA officially cites Nichelle did for them & her fellow citizens. 👵🏿.🚀
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm
jkiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Designer David Kimble's cutaway poster of refit Enterprise was pretty neato as well. And really gives one a far better understanding of whereabouts everything was, onboard.
That's pretty damn cool. All hand-rendered with great precision and artistry. Then, decades go by along with cgi advances, and along comes Donny Versiga, who has a site where he illustrates TMP (and other sci-fi) starships and interiors:

https://donnyversiga.artstation.com/albums/24279

And this is but a sampling. I've only just discovered him. Why he's whipping these up, I don't know. 'Fun,' maybe? Possibly related to Star Trek video games ... In any event, these renderings are highly detailed ... and very charming. Talk about being inspired!
To be completely honest, I never did & even still don't like 'the original' starship Enterprise. I thought it was an odd unusual design & it appeared too overly toy-like; especially, with that unsightly deflector/radar dish. Really nothing I liked about it (& same goes for J.J.'s rendition).

I literally had to fight my eyes rolling to the back of my head, nearly every time I saw it orbiting whatever planet. 🙄.🪐

However, 'refit Enterprise' was highly impressive & maybe one of the greatest studio models ever built. I was finally far more convinced; in that Enterprise could be a legitimate starship of a possible future.

💡.🤔
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm I'm guessing Gene (once again) experienced 'waves of pleasure' as Orson Wells seductively said, "Persis Khambatta...".
Orson Welles was like the white James Earl Jones, in gerth and vocals. Paramount only got Orson because, as with most ageing actors, he'd finally reached that point in his career when artistic integrity didn't even factor into taking a job, anymore. Money, thats it. But having him do that promo for Star Trek, was brilliant. Its a great 'read.' He was a fine actor, but just try bringing him up to people. No clue. Tis though he never existed ...

I agree with your assessment of the Enterprise model used in The Motion Picture. Art Deco inspired with that pearlescent finish that caught the light in a moody way that was very photogenic. In The Search for Spock, of course, ILM painted over the model in a flat finish. Ruined it. Ken Ralston who was working on Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock for ILM did some great work. But there's a story that since the Enterprise was supposed to blow up in Star Trek 3, Ken and/or ILM busted up the Enterprise model. In part because they hated it. And in part because ILM expected to design its replacement. I don't believe they busted up the model, it seems false. But i do believe ILM would've wanted the next Enterprise to resemble the Excelsior, which I find bottom heavy and uninspired. Point being that not everyone working on the franchise had appreciated the artistic bent of The Motion Picture's models.

The suits upstairs, though, wanted the new Enterprise to be represented by the old model, in The Voyage Home. It was already accepted, as a visual, replacing it with this odd ILM model would've been almost anticlimactic. A certain percentage would not have given a shit, certainly. But it would also imply alot. Like the original Star Trek crew was gonna switch everything up, from now on. On a personal note, I find that big-ass blue light at the front of the Enterprise to be off, somehow. They replaced the atennae with a flashlight. I liked how it looked when it was off in the space dock. But, what do I know? The sky's big and blue, too ...
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

This is the whole movie condensed ...
into a 12 minute audiobook!

At the time, this was released as a cassette tape (!!!)
... but presented in this fashion, its really not bad!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 pm This is the whole movie condensed ...
into a 12 minute audiobook!

At the time, this was released as a cassette tape (!!!)
... but presented in this fashion, its really not bad!

🎶.😆.🍄
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:45 pm Image

I agree with your assessment of the Enterprise model used in The Motion Picture. Art Deco inspired with that pearlescent finish that caught the light in a moody way that was very photogenic. In The Search for Spock, of course, ILM painted over the model in a flat finish. Ruined it. Ken Ralston who was working on Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock for ILM did some great work. But there's a story that since the Enterprise was supposed to blow up in Star Trek 3, Ken and/or ILM busted up the Enterprise model. In part because they hated it. And in part because ILM expected to design its replacement. I don't believe they busted up the model, it seems false. But i do believe ILM would've wanted the next Enterprise to resemble the Excelsior, which I find bottom heavy and uninspired. Point being that not everyone working on the franchise had appreciated the artistic bent of The Motion Picture's models.

The suits upstairs, though, wanted the new Enterprise to be represented by the old model, in The Voyage Home. It was already accepted, as a visual, replacing it with this odd ILM model would've been almost anticlimactic. A certain percentage would not have given a shit, certainly. But it would also imply alot. Like the original Star Trek crew was gonna switch everything up, from now on. On a personal note, I find that big-ass blue light at the front of the Enterprise to be off, somehow. They replaced the atennae with a flashlight. I liked how it looked when it was off in the space dock. But, what do I know? The sky's big and blue, too ...
Photo Credit: Blue Origin (2016)

'Refit Enterprise' is presently on display at Jeff Bezos' rocket company. It's sitting in the lobby of his 'Blue Origin' headquarters, in Kent, Washington. And is currently the rightful owner of the shooting model, since it was auctioned-off (circa Oct '06) for $284,800.

Lot....................................................................Sold.............Estimate
712 Starship Enterprise-D, 78 x 59 x 14 in...................$576,000.......$25,000-35,000
983 Klingon Bird-of-Prey Model, 15 x 36 in..................$307,200.......$8,000-12,000
1000 Enterprise-A Model, 100 x 46½ x 21 in.................$284,800.......$15,000-25,000
107 Starship Enterprise-E Model, 49 x 119 x 13 in..........$132,000.......$8,000-12,000
357 Starship Voyager Miniature Model, 61 x 24 x 10 in....$132,000........$10,000-15,000
493 Deep Space Nine Model, 72 in............................$132,000........$8,000-12,000
998 U.S.S. Lakota Model, 92½ x 32 in........................$132,000........$3,000-5,000
497 Starship Defiant Model, 37 x 27 in.......................$102,000........$6,000-8,000
996 Klingon Battlecruiser Model, 47½ x 35 in...............$102,000........$3,000-5,000
Above excerpt of starship models sold @ 'The Christies Trek Auction' (circa Oct. '06)

One of my earliest impressions (& criticisms) of 'the original Enterprise' was it appeared too much like a U.F.O. (or flying saucer) with wings. And really not much of a fan of Starfleet starship styling (in general), but I did genuinely like both Reliant & Enterprise-E's exterior designs.

I thought those two were visually appealing, outside of 'refit Enterprise'. I guess Excelsior-class wasn't all that bad, either. 🛸.🤩
Bruce wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:45 pm
jkiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm I'm guessing Gene (once again) experienced 'waves of pleasure' as Orson Wells seductively said, "Persis Khambatta...".
Orson Welles was like the white James Earl Jones, in gerth and vocals. Paramount only got Orson because, as with most ageing actors, he'd finally reached that point in his career when artistic integrity didn't even factor into taking a job, anymore. Money, thats it. But having him do that promo for Star Trek, was brilliant. Its a great 'read.' He was a fine actor, but just try bringing him up to people. No clue. Tis though he never existed ...
This podcast here talks about Orson's participation in doing the voice-over. Orson referred to Gene as 'Gene Rotten-berry'. 🫐.🤢

💡 Incidentally, Paramount head initially figured they needed a flagship series for a new Paramount TV network (circa mid '77). And it was originally down to either a "War of the Worlds" revival in the form of a television series or a second "STAR TREK" one ("PHASE II").
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Yes, I caught that "Rottenberry" bit, am wondering if that wasn't an inside joke that they deliberately let slip in. Orson Wells was a living legend, but probably also ... quite the character!

And here's what welles.net has to say about Orson and the Star Trek: The Motion Picture trailer ...

https://www.wellesnet.com/star-trek-tra ... on-welles/

Speaking of Hollywood 'characters,' here, William Shatner is joined by Persis Khambatta, to present Documentary Oscars in 1980. Yet another angle with which to promote The Motion Picture. Paramount really pushed this film ... there was no escape!

And seeing as she was all dolled up, probably at the studio's expense, they certainly didn't miss the chance for a photoshoot of her, either ...

The fate of some of these Enterprise models can be very interesting, yes. I'm glad the TMP model got a good home, though. It was a work of art and a ton of plastic -- beautiful, but fragile!

Apparently, the 6 foot Enterprise D is now at the EMP Museum / Sci-Fi Hall of Fame in Seattle, but the 4 foot model was hanging over a grill in Planet Hollywood for a very long time. When it defaulted some incredible soul returned it to the Paramount lot. It had drill holes all over it from being suspended and was covered in grease and smoke damage. This model, I believe, was TNG's workhorse. The 6 footer was more for detailed close-ups for things like the saucer-seperation and beauty passes.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 pm Incidentally, Paramount head initially figured they needed a flagship series for a new Paramount TV network (circa mid '77). And it was originally down to either a "War of the Worlds" revival in the form of a television series or a second "STAR TREK" one ("PHASE II").
Ever since, Paramount's always been keen on using Star Trek to rope in the Trekkie numbers to herald in their new networks and whatever. (Star Trek) Enterprise and Star Trek: Discovery, of course, were also trotted out with this aim in mind, to varying degrees of success ...

EDIT:
In my previous post, I'd written the URL to Orson Welle's site as being welles.net -- what I meant to write was:

https://www.wellesnet.com/