KISS World 2017 - July 14, Bridgeview, IL

Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: KISS World 2017 - July 14, Bridgeview, IL

Post by Crown Royal »

kissthat wrote: CR,well he just continues his deep dive.
If not wanting KISS to embarrass themselves is a "deep dive" then I will happily dive
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

peopleselbow wrote:OK, I have no agenda here. I am stating what I saw.

This was my 25th time seeing KISS. Every time they play here, Paul always has to bring up the Aragon Ballroom. When he does this, I think to myself "I had to travel to Milwaukee on the Animalize Tour because you couldn't sell enough tickets here. "

Anyway, Rob Zombie blew KISS away. We were on the field for Anthrax and Megadeth and in the seats for Zombie and KISS. The crowd was significantly smaller for KISS. The twitter pic is quite deceiving and yes, I saw quite a few people leave during "Shock Me".

The crowd argument here ignores that fact that the band was not good. Rob Zombie had a very simple formula for a great show. Awesome stage effects, a lead singer that was energetic and a guitar player that had great stage presence and an amazing player. KISS used to have these elements. Last night I saw a singer who used to move around and have a strong voice and a band that barely moved.

Again, KISS is one of my favorite bands. To me, Rob Zombie is average but I have to tell the truth. Rob Zombie blew KISS off the stage.
Hater

Liar

downward-slider
bassmansteiny
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by bassmansteiny »

KIDGEO3 wrote:Image
Awsome! This is now my wallpaper on my phone. Love it :)
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

OK...anyone at all who says there were 30,000 or more there needs to double check their info. Capacity for concerts, per Toyota Park's website, is 28,000. I estimate 20,000 to 22,000 were there in peak time. See my earlier post about attendance for details.
vdojaq
Banned

Post by vdojaq »

LordThurisaz wrote:
vdojaq wrote:
Where's Drago? wrote:Image

Boy, that place looks empty.

From what I've heard from somebody else that was there, folks were enjoying Zombie but happy to stay well back and chilled until the main event. Once KISS were due on, they made their way closer to the stage to soak up the fun and the spectacle.

But yeah, 35,000 people were there, of which 25,000 paid to watch Zombie, 10,000 others thought Ace was still in the band, 5,000 came to boo Tommy, 10 were disaffected FAQ members who thought there were too many logos on stage. This means of the 35,000 people who were there, over 40,000 didn't enjoy it.

Get your arms down people in that photo, it's over. Rock, and KISS, is dead.
All I have to say is I wish that same angle picture was taken for Zombie as well.

I don't think any of you realize how frickin sad it was for me to see and report what was happening, but it needed to be said.

I want to demonstrate how deceiving this KissOnline crowd photo is. I will use the inauguration photos to show my point
Pretty sure the first photo to "prove your point" is from when they first started filling in. Fake news.
Ha! Picture of PROOF! Take a look at the floor crowd . You can plainly see the floor crowd has dispersed on the upper left . This is right at the sound board. The 70 yards of floor behind this is pretty much empty. The floor crowd closer to the bottom is a bit heavier do to the GA divider along the right of the stage. This is RARAN!
Attachments
kiss...proof.jpg
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

vdojaq wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:
vdojaq wrote:

From what I've heard from somebody else that was there, folks were enjoying Zombie but happy to stay well back and chilled until the main event. Once KISS were due on, they made their way closer to the stage to soak up the fun and the spectacle.

But yeah, 35,000 people were there, of which 25,000 paid to watch Zombie, 10,000 others thought Ace was still in the band, 5,000 came to boo Tommy, 10 were disaffected FAQ members who thought there were too many logos on stage. This means of the 35,000 people who were there, over 40,000 didn't enjoy it.

All I have to say is I wish that same angle picture was taken for Zombie as well.

I don't think any of you realize how frickin sad it was for me to see and report what was happening, but it needed to be said.

I want to demonstrate how deceiving this KissOnline crowd photo is. I will use the inauguration photos to show my point
Pretty sure the first photo to "prove your point" is from when they first started filling in. Fake news.
Ha! Picture of PROOF! Take a look at the floor crowd . You can plainly see the floor crowd has dispersed on the upper left . This is right at the sound board. The 70 yards of floor behind this is pretty much empty. The floor crowd closer to the bottom is a bit heavier do to the GA divider along the right of the stage. This is RARAN!
Okay? My last comment referred to your two pictures from the inauguration, in which the first one was meant to make it look like hardly anyone showed up for Trump's inauguration, when it was discussed ad nauseam that it was actually hours before Trump had taken the podium and when they were just being admitted in.

I also don't see any open flooring, but the picture is pretty dark for the crowd area of the shot, so whatever. No one was there that night, and as a result, KISS played to an empty lot. Moving on now?
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

Just got back from Day 3 of Open Air and there were significantly more people for Slayer and Ozzy than on Friday. It looked there were more people for Lamb of God than for KISS.

The performances from Ozzy and Slayer were great. Slayer's stage show was incredible. They played on the Blackcraft Stage in the parking lot, where the hardcore/death metal bands played all weekend. I also think that there was no way Ozzy would follow them on the same stage. Ozzy was great as well. He looked in great shape and sounded much better than he did on the last Sabbath tour. Zakk was fucking amazing. Here' the setlist:
Mr. Crowley
I Don't Know
Fairies Wear Boots
Suicide Solution
No More Tears
War Pigs with an extended Zakk solo
Drum Solo
Iron Man
Shot in the Dark
I Don't Want to Change the World
Crazy Train

Encore:
Mama, I'm Coming Home
Paranoid

The event was great and well organized. For example, Stone Sour played in the stadium and ended at 7:15. 5 minutes later, Slayer played in the parking lot until 8:15. Then at 8:20, Ozzy went on in the stadium.

Very good food as well.

If they have another great lineup next year, I am going.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Until KISS began their ninety minute set seventeen minutes late, playing long past their posted 11:20PM end time (to the presumable chagrin of Bridgeview residents around Toyota Park).

The sound seemed off/low as the band finally hit the stage opening with "Deuce" from their 1974 debut (though it improved quick).
Where Rob Zombie can be entertaining and humorous in his emcee role, KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley largely fails these days. He wasted no time Friday night lambasting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for waiting until 2014 to induct his band.

While his voice seemed to improve as the set went on, it began as a shaky screech more closely resembling the Smurfs' Gargamel than it did a professional rock vocalist. "Chicago, we go all the way back to the Aragon Ballroom!" he croaked, voice cracking, during his intro to "Lick it Up."

With the exception of the band members employed at any given time, there's very little that's changed about the KISS shtick even after almost forty-five years.
Gene also took part in a typically poor bass solo
Nevertheless ...
But, at the end of the day, it's hard not to have fun at a KISS show.
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-at-ni ... ridgeview/
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

peopleselbow wrote:Just got back from Day 3 of Open Air and there were significantly more people for Slayer and Ozzy than on Friday. It looked there were more people for Lamb of God than for KISS.

The performances from Ozzy and Slayer were great. Slayer's stage show was incredible. They played on the Blackcraft Stage in the parking lot, where the hardcore/death metal bands played all weekend. I also think that there was no way Ozzy would follow them on the same stage. Ozzy was great as well. He looked in great shape and sounded much better than he did on the last Sabbath tour. Zakk was fucking amazing. Here' the setlist:
Mr. Crowley
I Don't Know
Fairies Wear Boots
Suicide Solution
No More Tears
War Pigs with an extended Zakk solo
Drum Solo
Iron Man
Shot in the Dark
I Don't Want to Change the World
Crazy Train

Encore:
Mama, I'm Coming Home
Paranoid

The event was great and well organized. For example, Stone Sour played in the stadium and ended at 7:15. 5 minutes later, Slayer played in the parking lot until 8:15. Then at 8:20, Ozzy went on in the stadium.

Very good food as well.

If they have another great lineup next year, I am going.
You can expect larger crowds on Saturday and Sunday. Fridays many are still working.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

I think it's high time KISS bring Anthrax back out on the road with them. Part of me hopes that doing festivals like this means they are testing the waters for good openers. From what I understand, the Def Leppard tour was almost KISS/Korn/Rob Zombie. I think KISS/Megadeth/Anthrax would work in 2018.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Deuce1231 wrote:
You can expect larger crowds on Saturday and Sunday. Fridays many are still working.
Sure, for bands that were on during the day and early evening. Not so much for bands that take the stage at 9:45-ish
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

The sarcasm is strong in this one. :)
AlBabyinKalamazoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AlBabyinKalamazoo »

Here is a better photo. Although you can't see the back of the stadium it's obvious the floor and sides are quite packed. I would guess 30,000 is accurate.
Attachments
19990582_10208707788645960_6187245026220167480_n.jpg
highvoltage1969
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by highvoltage1969 »

AlBabyinKalamazoo wrote:Here is a better photo. Although you can't see the back of the stadium it's obvious the floor and sides are quite packed. I would guess 30,000 is accurate.
If you fiddle around with the image in Photoshop you can see the crowd is actually quite patchy. The tiers look about half full and the floor is thin on the sides and get's increasingly thinner as it extends back towards the mixing desk.

I'd be incredibly surprised if there was 30,000 people there, especially since the capacity of the venue is 28,000.