KISS World 2017 - May 28, Birmingham, England

Julien
Whee Wan

KISS World 2017 - May 28, Birmingham, England

Post by Julien »

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the set list...

Stats will be archived here:
Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: KISS World 2017 - May 28, Birmingham, England

Post by Where's Drago? »

I'll be there. There's been some open and frank discussions at home this week. Today, at last, a decision was made - support the band, sod the haters, thumb your nose at cowards and enjoy living.

The only downside is my mate's going in full make-up.
black diamond
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by black diamond »

Where's Drago? wrote:I'll be there. There's been some open and frank discussions at home this week. Today, at last, a decision was made - support the band, sod the haters, thumb your nose at cowards and enjoy living.

Great to hear! Enjoy the show.
kissjrj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by kissjrj »

Where's Drago? wrote:I'll be there. There's been some open and frank discussions at home this week. Today, at last, a decision was made - support the band, sod the haters, thumb your nose at cowards and enjoy living.

Ankh?
Pete2174
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Pete2174 »

Gonna have to enjoy this one even more now it's my only show.
Spaceman Spiff
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Where's Drago? wrote: The only downside is my mate's going in full make-up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
tomwabe
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tomwabe »

Heading up town in a couple of hours - pix from Glasgow last night look terrific. Excitement building - and the sountrack in my mind has already got "ALL-RIGHT BIRMINGHAM...." on repeat. I'll try and post some thoughts tomorrow...
How were the queues Glasgow? Anything We should know (apart from not carrying baggage?)
kissjrj

Post by kissjrj »

Tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starchilduk
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by starchilduk »

Starting to go in
C'mon Kiss Army
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

For the last few days no tickets were available for purchase.

Sold out?
tomwabe
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tomwabe »

In and down the front! Interesting phenomena - its much easier to get near the barrier on Tommy's side! Not exactly military levels of security in operation - two hard pressed late middle aged arena workers only out front.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Flaming Youth

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

tomwabe
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tomwabe »

Well, that was fantastic!

So near to the band that I've still got pyro in my nostrils... one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever seen - and, despite being on my feet for five or six hours from the walk up to the queue to holding our place near the barrier - like a little kid, I didn't want it to end. The band is sounding AMAZINGLY good and Paul was on good form - some clever hand to ear 'let me hear you' bits to avoid the tricky notes in 'Crazy, Crazy Nights', a little bit of audible strain throughout - but god, that guy is such a likable old queen, such a showman - really, he can still carry it all. I was close enough to see real camaraderie in the band - Tommy mock-ticking Paul off for a wrong chord, Eric arriving late on the drum stool... they are amazingly tight, but still a visceral real-live proposition. Gene is, of course, still great. Great on his instrument with occasional flashes of the Demon present - in his eyes and stance - and much, much less of the daft Grandpa Munster mugging. Do they turn it on and up when they're in the home of metal? This wasn't remotely the 'phoned in' tribute show we're always reading about here.

The crowd in Birmingham was pretty much old school hard-rock / metal - re-generated with far more than a smattering of young converts. I couldn't see anyone, on the floor, or in the stands that remotely resembled the mythical 'casual'.

The cherry pickers are massively effective - to stand amid the confetti storm of 'Rock n Roll all Nite' whilst Gene and Tommy swing up and out over your head - so you swing around from the stage and see them silhouetted in the storm with a sold out house going nuts as backdrop - it's somethin' else!

My scanner is at work, not here in Stately Wabe Manor as I type - but definitely get the tour book - Some great live photographs from this production - the gatefold with the cherry pickers ( you can tell I was smitten can't you) is real 'Alive II' standard stuff... I beat up on the design aspect of current KISS all the time here - so it's great to be able to say they've got something right.

The monster that was bolted together and dreamed into life in a New York loft is still alive and thriving. it may have a couple of new limbs - but its still there and devilishly effective - Continue to make the most of it, people, for we shall not see it's like again.
Last edited by tomwabe on Sun May 28, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Best.Band.Ever.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Awesome review tomwabe. I'm glad you had a great time.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

That's what I'm talking about tomwabe!!!

I see a KISS concert through those same eyes. I feel sorry for those that don't have that luxury anymore.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

nibbler1982 wrote:That's what I'm talking about tomwabe!!!

I see a KISS concert through those same eyes. I feel sorry for those that don't have that luxury anymore.
Same here. I've enjoyed every single show I've seen from my first on the Lick It Up tour to the last in Youngstown on the Freedom To Rock tour. Hope for some more before it's over. Nothing like a KISS concert.
TOMINO
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by TOMINO »

Last edited by TOMINO on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

PsychoElder wrote:

Same here. I've enjoyed every single show I've seen from my first on the Lick It Up tour to the last in Youngstown on the Freedom To Rock tour. Hope for some more before it's over. Nothing like a KISS concert.
I was at Youngstown too brother. Had a lovely lunch at Fujiyama the next day in Weirton before catching my flight back to NY. Great show.

There's A LOT more KISS left to be had my man. Trust ol' Nibbs here. See you at the shows!

ELECTRIC CHURCH BABY!!!!
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

nibbler1982 wrote:
PsychoElder wrote:

I was at Youngstown too brother. Had a lovely lunch at Fujiyama the next day in Weirton before catching my flight back to NY. Great show.

There's A LOT more KISS left to be had my man. Trust ol' Nibbs here. See you at the shows!

ELECTRIC CHURCH BABY!!!!
I met you in Youngstown Nibbs. We chatted a few minutes before KISS came on. You convinced me to start posting here after lurking for many years.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

PsychoElder wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
PsychoElder wrote:

ELECTRIC CHURCH BABY!!!!
I met you in Youngstown Nibbs. We chatted a few minutes before KISS came on. You convinced me to start posting here after lurking for many years.
Now I got you! We were both center orchestra row 6, you were about 8 or 9 seats to my left with your wife(?). It was a real pleasure meeting you. I'm glad you said hello and jumped into the game here at the FAQ.

Here's until next time brother!!!!
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

nibbler1982 wrote:
PsychoElder wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
PsychoElder wrote:

ELECTRIC CHURCH BABY!!!!
Now I got you! We were both center orchestra row 6, you were about 8 or 9 seats to my left with your wife(?). It was a real pleasure meeting you. I'm glad you said hello and jumped into the game here at the FAQ.

Here's until next time brother!!!!
Yeah that's correct. Hope to run into you again someday.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Loving reading all the reviews in these tour threads. Great to see people still getting a buzz from KISS after all these decades. Sounds like the band is firing on all cylinders. Love it! :thumright:
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Man, what a show, what a show.

It looked a sell-out crowd - and what a magnificently diverse sell-out crowd it was. It made the heart soar.

At one point Paul asked the crowd the usual question of who had never seen them before, and a good third of the crowd threw up their hands in the air.

There aren't many bands from the 1970s who have stayed - and can stay - as relevant as KISS. It was amazing to me that I was surrounded by so many newbies. In fact, some guy who was in his 20s had attached himself to me and my mate and this wasn't just his first KISS show but his first show ever. He was agog with it all. I did think to myself that after that show last night every other band was going leave him feeling short-changed.

Quite simply one of the best concerts I've ever been to, KISS or otherwise. The utter madness of Rock And Roll All Nite is worth the hassle of a 3 hour drive and a 2 hour queue alone.
kissjrj

Post by kissjrj »

Where's Drago? wrote:Man, what a show, what a show.

It looked a sell-out crowd - and what a magnificently diverse sell-out crowd it was. It made the heart soar.

At one point Paul asked the crowd the usual question of who had never seen them before, and a good third of the crowd threw up their hands in the air.

There aren't many bands from the 1970s who have stayed - and can stay - as relevant as KISS. It was amazing to me that I was surrounded by so many newbies. In fact, some guy who was in his 20s had attached himself to me and my mate and this wasn't just his first KISS show but his first show ever. He was agog with it all. I did think to myself that after that show last night every other band was going leave him feeling short-changed.

Quite simply one of the best concerts I've ever been to, KISS or otherwise. The utter madness of Rock And Roll All Nite is worth the hassle of a 3 hour drive and a 2 hour queue alone.

Great to read about the experience... Thanks for all the write-ups, guys. 8)
starchilduk
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by starchilduk »

A nice reviw from The Birmingham mail
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-o ... m-13106173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what its worth, Ithought that they put puton a first class show and performance. Paul voice was to be fair the worst I had ever heard bim. He seemed to struggle to even address the crowd. That aside they were truly amazing. It was great to hear Flaming Youth in the set list. The mood of the crowd prior to going in was somewhat sombre, there was no happy, jolly people, they were all apprehensive. There were plenty of armed Police out front and everyone was thoroughly searched in. This lifted the mood a little once people were inside.
The merch stand had lots of shirts and I even considered as et of signed sticks and a Drum skin. But was happy to get a shirt for the wife and a couple of peogrammes for myself. The dives come on around 8:00pm and tney dont know if they want to be brit pop indie or rock, bit they enjoyed themselves and Evan is certainly Stans son, sadly not my cup of tea.
Just a little after 9:00pm kiss announced there arrival with Deuce and placed a stake in the ground to remind everyone that tonight was going to be a spectale extravagenza. Shout it out loud followed which probably was Pauls best vocal all night. A moment of silence followed, albeit after acouple of people spoiled it at the begining.
I wont go on about all tne songs but felt tnat Firehouse was not great at all, the crowd helped out with much of I was made and Crazy nights. I felt that Eric should be doing more to assist in the vocal department on Pauls songs, but hell he is trying to smash the drums at the same time. Did Pauls vocal limitations spoil it? Not a chance. i would rather see the spectacle that is Kiss than not. A nearl full house at Birmingham is testimony to that. I will note that this show was sold out but I beleive that quite a few people chose not to go as the floor was only 3/4 full.
As for Black Diamond, into Rock N Roll All Nite wow! The ending was truly a sight to behold, raised platforms, cherry pickers, fireworks and the whole kitchen sink.
I know there is not long left for kiss as a touring entity, I am just glad to get what I can take! Great stuff.

Thank you Kiss and the Birmingham Kiss Army!
Last edited by starchilduk on Mon May 29, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabant777
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Rabant777 »

Kiss can only be judged against Kiss - so all I can say is last night was not one of the greatest Kiss shows I've ever seen.
Yes, the stage, some of the video, new cherry pickers and Creatures outfits are great but I didn't get a great sense of urgency or energy like I used to get from Kiss shows. Paul was the only band member I saw smile, Eric didn't seem very engaged at all. Maybe the Manchester atrocity has put a downer on proceedings because the crowd didn't seem very responsive either ....

As for the Dives, I didn't dislike them but they're not ready for such a big stage yet. I'd certainly see them again in a smaller venue. To me they mix The Click Five with the Strokes with bits of Squeeze & early Billy Squier.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Rabant777 wrote:Kiss can only be judged against Kiss - so all I can say is last night was not one of the greatest Kiss shows I've ever seen.
Yes, the stage, some of the video, new cherry pickers and Creatures outfits are great but I didn't get a great sense of urgency or energy like I used to get from Kiss shows. Paul was the only band member I saw smile, Eric didn't seem very engaged at all. Maybe the Manchester atrocity has put a downer on proceedings because the crowd didn't seem very responsive either ....

As for the Dives, I didn't dislike them but they're not ready for such a big stage yet. I'd certainly see them again in a smaller venue. To me they mix The Click Five with the Strokes with bits of Squeeze & early Billy Squier.
With all respect I think you and I were at different shows.
Rabant777
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Rabant777 »

Maybe just in different parts of the arena.
I was second row in front of Tommy.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

Show up on .10
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Rabant777 wrote:Maybe just in different parts of the arena.
Fair enough. Was on Gene's side about 15 rows back. All seemed good to me.
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Two shows in two days and judging by the crowd's response a lot of very happy punters. Was great to meet up with friends old and new.
Home for a change of clothes then on to Manchester where many of us are still going to meet up and pay tribute to the people who sadly lost their lives last week. The mornin after off to London for the final show of the Euro tour.
I've resigned myself to the possibility that London could be my last ever KISS show. What a ride!! No one comes close!!
TOMINO
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by TOMINO »

Last edited by TOMINO on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
starchilduk
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by starchilduk »

Admin wrote:Show up on .10
Thanks for the heads up. Listening now. It doesnt sound too bad.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

ImageImage
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

:lol:

Loved that guy.
JMac67
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by JMac67 »

Here's another very postive, even glowing, review of the night along with some video testaments from fans.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-o ... m-13106173
NEILB4
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by NEILB4 »

Pete2174 wrote:
Rabant777 wrote:Kiss can only be judged against Kiss - so all I can say is last night was not one of the greatest Kiss shows I've ever seen.

With all respect I think you and I were at different shows.
2nd Row front of Gene...sure he doesn't smile much....he's in Demon persona...stomping,scowling,spitting etc,,don't want him any different..he was on fine form,,,oh and to get the fairly rare "Flaming Youth" hauled out was mighty fine.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Agreed: 'Flaming Youth' was utterly immense. That track along with 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'Say Yeah' left me goosebumps. Flaming Youth for the sheer rarity of the song, and those other two because they're real UK fanbase crowd pleasers. Massive.

And Tommy in Ace's Elder outfit is something to behold - beyond cool.

Erwin

Post by Erwin »

No place like Birmiingham
tomwabe
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tomwabe »

Pete2174 wrote:
Rabant777 wrote:Maybe just in different parts of the arena.
Fair enough. Was on Gene's side about 15 rows back. All seemed good to me.
Well, I was also one row back from the barrier directly in front of Tommy and the crowd was dancing and whooping it up... I thought at the time how every scattershot audience pan that appeared on the big screen could almost have been staged - perfect for a live vid - everyone smiling and into it, teens on shoulders, the works... Tommy was smiling (if that matters) and clearly having a ball - Gene was 100% engaged. So let's say it again - I think you must have been in the wrong arena... or just got up on the wrong side of the bed? You weren't enduring the brutalities of a 'Soul Station ' show through the modern miracles of a virtual reality headset? Maybe you saw me? Wild haired professor type in David Hockney spex and a cut off denim?
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

I was a bit sceptical about the KISS stageshow before I went to the show, but for the most part it did work out okay.

However...

Just going through some of my mobile phone images now, and this one in particular needs a tank turret sat right beneath Eric's drumkit.

Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Where's Drago? wrote:I was a bit sceptical about the KISS stageshow before I went to the show, but for the most part it did work out okay.

However...

Just going through some of my mobile phone images now, and this one in particular needs a tank turret sat right beneath Eric's drumkit.

Yeah. Thought that myself.
jonnybgoode82
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by jonnybgoode82 »

Couple of my videos from the show

Last edited by jonnybgoode82 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

jonnybgoode82 wrote:Couple of my videos from the show

[color=#00BF00]9H-oQkL3HFg[/color]

[color=#00BF00]Thoz0cjW5rM[/color]
Only the bits in green in the youtube brackets :mrgreen:

...And Gene flicked his bloody tongue at ya!