KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Perth, Oct. 3

kissgod
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Perth, Oct. 3

Post by kissgod »

Seriously this set list is a joke. They wouldn't even have to rehearse this. They could play them in their sleep. Why the hell they persistently play dr love and do you love me is beyond me. They could easily slot in ladies room and mr speed and no casual fan would no any different. Very disappointing set list.
fzill
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by fzill »

Detroit Rock City -> Deuce -> Psycho Circus -> Creatures of the Night
I've had a chance to see this 40th tour and IMHO this 4 songs in sequence is absolutely mind blowing! :thumleft: :cheers:
pallmall2
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by pallmall2 »

They are not appealing to the fanatics that hang out on this site they are appealing to the casual fan, people that while driving in their car or at work listen to Sirus radio and hear RnRAN, ShoutIOL,DRC,CallingDL, etc.. as I hear these songs on channels so try to be real here. Not lazy at all just smart. Why do you think Ace plays DRC,Love gun? Again, appealing to a 'broader' audience.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

pallmall2 wrote:They are not appealing to the fanatics that hang out on this site they are appealing to the casual fan, people that while driving in their car or at work listen to Sirus radio and hear RnRAN, ShoutIOL,DRC,CallingDL, etc.. as I hear these songs on channels so try to be real here. Not lazy at all just smart. Why do you think Ace plays DRC,Love gun? Again, appealing to a 'broader' audience.
Stop hoarding all the sanity on this thread.
pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

kissjrj wrote:
pallmall2 wrote:They are not appealing to the fanatics that hang out on this site they are appealing to the casual fan, people that while driving in their car or at work listen to Sirus radio and hear RnRAN, ShoutIOL,DRC,CallingDL, etc.. as I hear these songs on channels so try to be real here. Not lazy at all just smart. Why do you think Ace plays DRC,Love gun? Again, appealing to a 'broader' audience.
Stop hoarding all the sanity on this thread.
:wink: :thumright:
steveh67
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steveh67 »

I doubt fans in OZ, listen to some Web-based radio show in their car or at home.

especially casual Aussie fans!

They probably never heard of it!
Red Walrus

Post by Red Walrus »

pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

steveh67 wrote:
I doubt fans in OZ, listen to some Web-based radio show in their car or at home.

especially casual Aussie fans!

They probably never heard of it!
Sirus is satellite radio and now comes installed in almost every new car, satellite TV systems so it is broad based for a few years now.
Incubus
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Incubus »

Those friggin girls yabbering during the video.......jesus man.

The endorsmemt back with Ibanez was a good move.
KIDGEO3

Post by KIDGEO3 »

Just saw Ace in New Hope last Saturday and I could not agree more...the most enthusiastic responses were to the KISS songs...when he played the new stuff the crowd was quiet.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Off the top of my head that is likely a song for song identical set list to their last tour of Australia in 2013. Just sad..
firekiss

Post by firekiss »

How lucky am I? I like all those songs and haven't heard any of them live for two and a half years.

Looking forward to three shows over the next ten days. Fun times.
pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

Phyllis Simmons wrote:Off the top of my head that is likely a song for song identical set list to their last tour of Australia in 2013. Just sad..
Read my post from above. not sad, just well.... SMART.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

No surprises at all. Disappointing, but however will be good to see them again in brissy.
px74

Post by px74 »

KISS fan since '79 - my opinion is as valid as anyone's here as long as there is no agenda.

Do I prefer Ace to Tommy - yes. Am I OK with Tommy in the band now - yes. Him singing Shock Me, or Eric doing Beth? No.

I like Sonic Boom and Monster - however their best material is from the 70's - as are their best shows. However, I still get a kick out of seeing them live. Period! Unless Paul majorly fucks up a live rendition of a song - which he has done on more than one occasion recently - they are still good songs and strike a chord with this fan.

Looking forward to seeing them in Melbourne for the upcoming shows. i really like the setlist, but would love to see Lick It up removed for a chestnut like Ladies Room for example. Surely there is enough material in the set to cater to the new or occasional fan whilst pleasing the diehards also.

My 2 cents...enjoy KISS; and if someone prefers the original lineup to the current band do not call them hater or non fans. They are allowed to like what they like as long as their comments are not aggressive, agenda driven to the point of repetition or non ccomodating of counter views.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

px74 wrote:KISS fan since '79 - my opinion is as valid as anyone's here as long as there is no agenda.

Do I prefer Ace to Tommy - yes. Am I OK with Tommy in the band now - yes. Him singing Shock Me, or Eric doing Beth? No.

I like Sonic Boom and Monster - however their best material is from the 70's - as are their best shows. However, I still get a kick out of seeing them live. Period! Unless Paul majorly fucks up a live rendition of a song - which he has done on more than one occasion recently - they are still good songs and strike a chord with this fan.

Looking forward to seeing them in Melbourne for the upcoming shows. i really like the setlist, but would love to see Lick It up removed for a chestnut like Ladies Room for example. Surely there is enough material in the set to cater to the new or occasional fan whilst pleasing the diehards also.

My 2 cents...enjoy KISS; and if someone prefers the original lineup to the current band do not call them hater or non fans. They are allowed to like what they like as long as their comments are not aggressive, agenda driven to the point of repetition or non ccomodating of counter views.
I have to agree with your first two comments. I also prefer Ace to Tommy and I'm ok (actually I'm quite happy with Tommy as our current Spaceman) with Tommy in the band now. I just don't get you not being ok with Tommy and Eric singing Shock Me and Beth respectively. Are you a purest? Do you want no part of Arnel Pineda singing Don't Stop Believing, Kelly Hansen singing Cold As Ice, or Adam Lambert singing I want To Break Free? Do you have a problem with those renditions too or is it just Tommy and Eric? Personally I saw all three within the last year and I couldn't have been happier with the results.

Either way enjoy the concert. There's nothing quite like seeing KISS live.
Australia
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Australia »

Nibbler, has not T.Thayer or E.Singer written their own songs whilst being artists?, Why do they not sing those?
bluedog
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bluedog »

LHXz wrote:Paul got all the chords wrong :lol: :lol:

That Shandi performance was totally embarrassing.

Paul would be likely to say something along the lines of it being totally unrehearsed, and just a little extra something for the Aussie fans.

Simply not good enough for someone who's been doing this for over 40 years, and for someone who says he's very good at what he does.

And BTW, the ending of SIOL was also embarrassing - a mini trainwreck.

As predictable as the setlist is, what is equally, if not more dull, is the lack of creativity and spontaneity that we see in the overall performance. The same moves, poses and banter that have been on display for oh so long.

A band that keeps breaking all the rules. Right.

But as long as those going along to the show feel that they are getting their money's worth, all is good.
px74

Post by px74 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
px74 wrote:KISS fan since '79 - my opinion is as valid as anyone's here as long as there is no agenda.

I have to agree with your first two comments. I also prefer Ace to Tommy and I'm ok (actually I'm quite happy with Tommy as our current Spaceman) with Tommy in the band now. I just don't get you not being ok with Tommy and Eric singing Shock Me and Beth respectively. Are you a purest? Do you want no part of Arnel Pineda singing Don't Stop Believing, Kelly Hansen singing Cold As Ice, or Adam Lambert singing I want To Break Free? Do you have a problem with those renditions too or is it just Tommy and Eric? Personally I saw all three within the last year and I couldn't have been happier with the results.

Good question - firstly both songs are quite unique to the band members because of their personal connection. Though Beth is based on Beck, Peter made it known that it was dedicated to his wife of the time Lydia. And after all there is a reaon why Eric Carr was VERY uncomfortable about having to sing it, and I am sure a while back Gene mentioned that it made no sense for anyone other than Peter to sing it live. As for Shock Me, well we know that is very personal for Ace also. They are KISS songs, but once upon a time KISS was also about Ace and Peter and not the spaceman and catman.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

px74 wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

Good question - firstly both songs are quite unique to the band members because of their personal connection. Though Beth is based on Beck, Peter made it known that it was dedicated to his wife of the time Lydia. And after all there is a reaon why Eric Carr was VERY uncomfortable about having to sing it, and I am sure a while back Gene mentioned that it made no sense for anyone other than Peter to sing it live. As for Shock Me, well we know that is very personal for Ace also. They are KISS songs, but once upon a time KISS was also about Ace and Peter and not the spaceman and catman.
I get that it's personal. It's two of their signature songs. As for Beth though...it's more personal for Chelsea's guitarist Mike Brand. It's his wife Becky that Stan Pendridge wrote the song about. I'm not trying to come at you I'm just wondering if you feel that way about a myriad of artists singing other persons songs. That's why I mentioned Queen, Foriegner, and Journey...all whom have other guys singing their predecessors personal, signature songs.

As for "once upon a time KISS was also about..." I don't agree with that. KISS was always about the personas. I'm not sure how far Stanley Eisen and Peter Criscuola we're going as is. When they became Paul "The Starchild" Stanley and Peter "Catman" Criss, well that's when we all started listening.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Australia wrote:Nibbler, has not T.Thayer or E.Singer written their own songs whilst being artists?, Why do they not sing those?
Probably the same reason why Love Gun gets the biggest pop out of the crowd at an Ace Frehley show.
px74

Post by px74 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
px74 wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

I get that it's personal. It's two of their signature songs. As for Beth though...it's more personal for Chelsea's guitarist Mike Brand. It's his wife Becky that Stan Pendridge wrote the song about. I'm not trying to come at you I'm just wondering if you feel that way about a myriad of artists singing other persons songs. That's why I mentioned Queen, Foriegner, and Journey...all whom have other guys singing their predecessors personal, signature songs.

As for "once upon a time KISS was also about..." I don't agree with that. KISS was always about the personas. I'm not sure how far Stanley Eisen and Peter Criscuola we're going as is. When they became Paul "The Starchild" Stanley and Peter "Catman" Criss, well that's when we all started listening.
There is a myriad of factors at play here, and when you jumble them in your own "PC" you somehow come up with an opinion.

Re: Beck, I acknowledged that it was not originally written for Peter's other half - but the better known version took on a life of its own and was in turn dedicated to Lydia. in fact, it was her accepting the award on the bands behalf; and her Gene credited as inspiration for the song and the success of KISS when flying to japan in '77.

Let me ask you a question; do you acknowledge that Eric Carr was uncomfortable singing the song in 1988? Why do you think that would be - I mean after all it was on a greatest hits record so that in itself should not be a problem. Also, why would Gene as I mentioned suggest it made no sense to play that song with another member singing it live?

As for the aforementioned bands, the comparison is slighly different IMO because of the very existence of the branding of characters in KISS, and not in spite of that reason. That may sound contradictory as far as my view is concerned, but what it means is that by default KISS plays by different sets of rules and as such I can only comment on why I feel the decision to sing the songs is wrong as I see it in isolation. That is why, for example the KISS 2.0 experiment seems very likely and other bands simply exist in more conventional settings.

My second question to you is, since you think it is more about the characters singing KISS songs would you be happy with a KISS 2.0 - better still let's call them KISS - without Gene and Paul belting out the songs because they belong in the KISS catalog, and the right character is singing them?
vinniestkulick

Post by vinniestkulick »

To compare the current Kiss to the current "Foreigner" is just silly. When Mick Jones has been sick, of late, there have been NO original members on stage. The only people paying to see that don't know the difference.
And the idea that "Beth" isn't a personal, signature song to Peter is also mind numbing. Also dumbfounding is the idea that a band with the song "I" is not about the individuals that comprised the band, but some third person characters not at ALL based on Gene, Paul, Peter + Ace. This is just an embarrassingly forgiving way to look at things.
Nibbler, why not go back to obsessing on attendance? Maybe cause the band clearly doesn't sell out when there's not a co-headliner?
I personally don't care if they TRY things like Shock Me or Beth... but those are signature songs for Ace + Peter just like God of Thunder or I Was Made For Loving You are for Gene + Paul... to suggest otherwise requires some serious blinders and Kool aid.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Like clockwork the peanut gallery want to point out how KISS perfoming songs like Shock Me or Beth is blasphemy...to even think of such is an affront to God. A band wants to THEIR songs...how droll. Then I point out that it's common practice in the industry...a literal everyday occurrence...yet somehow it's different for bands like Queen, Journey, Foriegner, and the like. If you're a purest and nothing but real McCoy just won't do...more power to you. God bless. On the other hand if we selectively choose when we need apply...well then...

Hypocrite: : a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs
Deuce66
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Deuce66 »

Decent quality YT vid here, some heavy effect on Paul's voice are clearly audible.

http://bravewords.com/news/kiss-kick-of ... otos-video

LHXz
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by LHXz »

What was the intro song ? Rock and Roll or Good Times, Bad Times ?
Red Walrus

Post by Red Walrus »

From the pic on KISSONLINE it looks close to soldout.
asamphord

Post by asamphord »

Deuce66 wrote:Decent quality YT vid here, some heavy effect on Paul's voice are clearly audible.

it's a little bit of slapback echo. STOP THE PRESSES! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

asamphord wrote:
Deuce66 wrote:Decent quality YT vid here, some heavy effect on Paul's voice are clearly audible.

it's a little bit of slapback echo. STOP THE PRESSES! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
Like this is the first time anyone's used effects on their vocals. :lol:
Incubus
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Incubus »

Something like this maybe:
Attachments
far-side-turn-up-the-suck-knob.jpg
Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese »

stlkiss wrote:
VaughanGF wrote:Lost connection Lick It Up, blood spitting, God Of Thunder, Shandi, Cold Gin, Love Gun, Black Diamond then encore Shout It Out Loud, I Was Made For Lovin' You, Rock And Roll All Nite
Yawn
My reaction to this comment.
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »