KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Brisbane, Oct. 13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Brisbane, Oct. 13

Post by Admin »

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the set list, report live from the show!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Re: KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Brisbane, Oct. 13

Post by nibbler1982 »

KISS Army 2015!
Attachments
image.jpg
Smekaren
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Smekaren »

nibbler1982 wrote:KISS Army 2015!
That's what I'm talking about! 8)
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

It was a great show. It was my 15th time. But Paul clearly has vocal problems, sometimes it got unbearable, but at 63 you gotta applaud him for at least still giving it a go. Gene, tommy and Eric were fantastic. Gene vocally was brilliant.
The sound during opener "Detroit...." Was a little patchy, but got better in time for "Deuce" which rocked.
My fave moments were "War machine", "Lick it up" and "Cold gin".
Would've loved to hear tommy sing a song.
rocker2000
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by rocker2000 »

fantastic show

diverse audience from makeup clad youngsters to "older dudes" like me

personally had no problem with paul's vocals - show reinforced - again - for me how paul is a one of a kind frontman supremo

highlight for me was the outro shout it out loud,i was made for loving you and rock n roll all nite - brought the roof down

so much to like as usual from gene's blood spiting/fire breathing through to eric singer's black diamond

god of thunder is still an evil sounding song... loved it

paul's cut down version of shandi brings a real intimacy to the song with the audience holding up their phone "lighters" and i can see why he does it - personally i would love to see the full version back ala the 80s unmasked tour

for all the sh*t tommy and eric take, they held things down well

my litmus test - i saw a young kid in makeup and asked him upon leaving "enjoy the show?" and he enthusiastically looked at me and said "it was bloody awesome!"

kiss are still delivering the goods, no question

my girlfriend whose favourite artist is shania twain came along (i think she was scared my eye might rove towards rock chicks there haha) even said to me afterwards "i can see why you love them so much now"

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/enterta ... k8dlo.html

trivial note: i saw *one* lone guy wearing a big vinnie vincent shirt - being a vinnie vincent invasion/kiss fan i wanted to have a chat to him but got lost in the crowd..

even scored some old vinyl i was after at rockaway records at carindale on way to show :) :)

seen some great shows this year in aus - judas priest, sebastian bach, motley cruz/alice cooper, kiss and now bring on ac/dc next month!
Last edited by rocker2000 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam T Serpent

Post by Sam T Serpent »

A few of my favourites from last night. All in all a good show. From where i was Paul's vocals were a non issue as the vocals are usually a little buried anyway.

I used my iPhone for the night as security were real strict over "professional" cameras.
rocker2000
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by rocker2000 »

awesome pics
croarg74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by croarg74 »

I spit the hangman wrote: Gene vocally was brilliant.
This.
Never in my right mind would I think that I would ever say Gene has a better voice than Stanley.
NE1WeKnow
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by NE1WeKnow »

I've been following all the talk about Paul's vocal issues for a long time. I've listened to audio recordings, watched YT recordings of shows and certainly noticed the degradation of his voice. I'm not a blind follower either as I haven't taken in a Kiss show since 2001.

I honestly don't get why people are hung up about Paul's vocals in the shows and I certainly don't get the Gene vs Paul comparisons. Let's face it - they aren't really singing at all for the most part, except for the softer parts like the Black Diamond intro, IWMFLY, Shandi etc. They are belting out the vocals, nothing like what they would do in the studio.

If a vocal performance was really all over the place, there would be screeches, cracking and major pitch fluctuations. Then you'd have an argument for saying the singer can't sing or can't sing anymore and they need to give it away.

If I was to compare how Gene belted out his songs vs Paul, certainly I give it to Gene, but Paul was doing a damn fine job. I was actually impressed when Paul shifted gears and belted out the second chorus in IWMFLY last night - I don't think he's done that in a long, long time and he pulled it off just fine.

I don't even consider this a subjective matter. Isn't it a better show when Paul can no longer perform his vocal gymnastics and is not getting distracted by what he can do with his voice during the show?
rocker2000
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by rocker2000 »

i concur

I've got no problem with his vocal performance

paul is never going to sing like he's 20 again

at his age we should be glad he's still fanning the flames of rock n roll for us at 60+ in the landscape of musical sh*t that is currently prevalent..

if people want technically perfect vocal technique they might be better off at the opera

this is rock n roll - it comes with rough edges

also read this morning .. sobering - noone escapes father time and we should be grateful they're still doing it..

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... MusicREDEF
KISSKid4ever
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSKid4ever »

NE1WeKnow wrote:I've been following all the talk about Paul's vocal issues for a long time. I've listened to audio recordings, watched YT recordings of shows and certainly noticed the degradation of his voice. I'm not a blind follower either as I haven't taken in a Kiss show since 2001.

I honestly don't get why people are hung up about Paul's vocals in the shows and I certainly don't get the Gene vs Paul comparisons. Let's face it - they aren't really singing at all for the most part, except for the softer parts like the Black Diamond intro, IWMFLY, Shandi etc. They are belting out the vocals, nothing like what they would do in the studio.

If a vocal performance was really all over the place, there would be screeches, cracking and major pitch fluctuations. Then you'd have an argument for saying the singer can't sing or can't sing anymore and they need to give it away.

If I was to compare how Gene belted out his songs vs Paul, certainly I give it to Gene, but Paul was doing a damn fine job. I was actually impressed when Paul shifted gears and belted out the second chorus in IWMFLY last night - I don't think he's done that in a long, long time and he pulled it off just fine.

I don't even consider this a subjective matter. Isn't it a better show when Paul can no longer perform his vocal gymnastics and is not getting distracted by what he can do with his voice during the show?

Here's IWMFLY. Its the 2nd verse, after the first chorus. He takes an admirable stab. He cracks and struggles a bit, but for what it is, its not too bad. It really must be hard for him to have to hold back, for him to accept he's no longer capable of effortlessly hitting those notes like he did years ago. I can imagine it would be really frustrating.
bluedog
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bluedog »

As for IWMFLY, it might be nice, if, after 35 years, Paul actually got the words right.
KISSKid4ever
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSKid4ever »

35 minutes of the show filmed from the audience in superb quality!!
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

croarg74 wrote:
This.
Never in my right mind would I think that I would ever say Gene has a better voice than Stanley.
On the night gene was better. Just my opinion.
Paul's a legend. He gives his all. I was just saying it's not what it was.
After all, he's 63 and has done the hard yards
NE1WeKnow
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by NE1WeKnow »

I spit the hangman wrote:On the night gene was better. Just my opinion.
Hmm you actually said earlier that it was unbearable at times. You must have really honed in on his vocals or something. Everything was pretty well mixed in from where I was sitting.

I still say there's not much true singing going on at a rock concert but I'll give you that Gene's voice was stronger than Paul's.
NE1WeKnow
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by NE1WeKnow »

bluedog wrote:As for IWMFLY, it might be nice, if, after 35 years, Paul actually got the words right.
So bitter...
kissno1
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissno1 »

NE1WeKnow wrote:I've been following all the talk about Paul's vocal issues for a long time. I've listened to audio recordings, watched YT recordings of shows and certainly noticed the degradation of his voice. I'm not a blind follower either as I haven't taken in a Kiss show since 2001.

That is exactly the way I feel, people need to give it up when it comes to Paul's voice, just go enjoy the show
croarg74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by croarg74 »

I spit the hangman wrote:
croarg74 wrote:
This.
On the night gene was better. Just my opinion.
Gene's been better for quite a few years now.
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

Man, I think they look and sound great!
daltonic1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by daltonic1 »

gene sounds better, in general, than paul. i think, perhaps, because he started singing in a lower register sooner in his career?
obvs paul can't hold a note at all anymore, see the video up there from the audience w/ the multiple songs. he can't hit a high note in DRC.

and i really think the "spider" looks impressive as hell when it's working.
firekiss

Post by firekiss »

gshaller wrote:Man, I think they look and sound great!
I was at the Brisbane show, Gary. You are indeed correct.
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Three years late, but here's my take: https://www.couriermail.com.au/entertai ... a46b1b0ee9