KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Melbourne, Oct. 8

Julien
Whee Wan

KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Melbourne, Oct. 8

Post by Julien »

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the set list, report live from the show!
Australia
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: KISS40 Downunder 2015 - Melbourne, Oct. 8

Post by Australia »

Kiss special on gold 104.3, 5pm to 6pm Melbourne, Gene interview, first song Deuce from Alive!
steveh67
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by steveh67 »

Australia wrote:Kiss special on gold 104.3, 5pm to 6pm Melbourne, Gene interview, first song Deuce from Alive!
Although not a fan of the current lineup as most of you know, I was listening to GOLDFM whilst gardening, so kept it tuned into this KISS special.

Boring interview to be honest, although the IWMFLY 12" tweaked my interest.

It was good to hear Klassic songs that rarely get played on Aussie Radio.
Australia
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Australia »

Myself too Steve, but half price tickets are starting to get tempting.
Fractured Quantum
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Fractured Quantum »

Australia wrote:Myself too Steve, but half price tickets are starting to get tempting.
Resist!! Save your money for the Iron Maiden tour in 2016.
A-Lex..Int
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by A-Lex..Int »

So any photos, videos, set list remain static?
caveyspice
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by caveyspice »

The set list for Melbourne appears to be the same as the previous two shows.
The attendance seemed close to sold out, but it will be interesting to see how night two goes.

During the Meet and Greet, they played Coming Home, Plaster Caster, Shandi, Beth and Hide Your Heart. Paul also played a verse of Ain't Quite Right.
Smekaren
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Smekaren »

Incubus
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Incubus »

I loved it, show was awesome, Rob from the crew is a really nice guy, meet and greet was great, Tommy and Eric were great to talk to.

Only thing that pissed me off is some people trying to get 7, 10 or 15 things signed.

I've done the M&G before and I'll do it again next time they tour.

Many smiling faces and it was great. Going again tonight, can't wait.
Smekaren

Post by Smekaren »

Incubus wrote:I loved it, show was awesome, Rob from the crew is a really nice guy, meet and greet was great, Tommy and Eric were great to talk to.

Only thing that pissed me off is some people trying to get 7, 10 or 15 things signed.

Thanks for sharing! How was Paul's voice?
Wet Willie
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Wet Willie »

I have seen Kiss at their best and bought tickets at the last minute , due to my concerns about Paul's voice.

From seeing videos on line, I expected Paul to be around 35%, in fact he sounded about 75-80%. He is clearly managing himself through the show, but he wasn't losing it completely. He sounded in control.

Gene was rock solid, and Tommy and Eric were hard working keeping the rhythm section tight. Honestly, for the grief Tommy gets from the haters - can they look at what he actually does on stage to hold things together. Look for the number of times he is the only one playing a riff. He allows Paul to jump around and work the crowd - he is one of the big reasons the band sounds as good as they do...

The setlist was as expected, although too much 80's Kiss and not enough classic Kiss. Weird considering this is supposed to be celebrating 40 years of the band. From an Australian perspective, there are huge Kiss moments overlooked with this setlist - Dynasty, Unmasked and Revenge all got great support over the years, yet big hits are dropped for Creatures songs (an album completely ignored here)...don't get me started on Lick It Up - why??

There is the token acoustic Shandi which was well received. The final three songs (SIOL, IWMFLY & R&RAN) rolled straight into each other as three knockout blows in a row.

Very tight, very professional, quite a few arrangment changes to many songs that sounded great. Paul is fine - grab those tickets for tonight's show.
Smekaren

Post by Smekaren »

Wet Willie wrote:I have seen Kiss at their best and bought tickets at the last minute , due to my concerns about Paul's voice.

From seeing videos on line, I expected Paul to be around 35%, in fact he sounded about 75-80%. He is clearly managing himself through the show, but he wasn't losing it completely. He sounded in control.

Gene was rock solid, and Tommy and Eric were hard working keeping the rhythm section tight. Honestly, for the grief Tommy gets from the haters - can they look at what he actually does on stage to hold things together. Look for the number of times he is the only one playing a riff. He allows Paul to jump around and work the crowd - he is one of the big reasons the band sounds as good as they do...

The setlist was as expected, although too much 80's Kiss and not enough classic Kiss. Weird considering this is supposed to be celebrating 40 years of the band. From an Australian perspective, there are huge Kiss moments overlooked with this setlist - Dynasty, Unmasked and Revenge all got great support over the years, yet big hits are dropped for Creatures songs (an album completely ignored here)...don't get me started on Lick It Up - why??

There is the token acoustic Shandi which was well received. The final three songs (SIOL, IWMFLY & R&RAN) rolled straight into each other as three knockout blows in a row.

Very tight, very professional, quite a few arrangment changes to many songs that sounded great. Paul is fine - grab those tickets for tonight's show.
Thanks for the info. Glad you had a good time. Anybody know how tickets are selling for the show tonight?
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by nibbler1982 »

Smekaren wrote:
Wet Willie wrote:I have seen Kiss at their best and bought tickets at the last minute , due to my concerns about Paul's voice.

Thanks for the info. Glad you had a good time. Anybody know how tickets are selling for the show tonight?
I'm guessing they have sections 59 through 37 on the top tier curtained off. If you look at the illustration below it shows the top three sections on each side are some of the only seated tickets still available. I highly doubt all the far ones sold first. I'd say all the first level up is sold out and the upper available will sell pretty close to it by showtime. When it's all said and done 6,000 to 8,000. I'd say both nights should be good for 18,000 to 20,000 and north of $2,000,000 at the gate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smekaren

Post by Smekaren »

Thanks Nibs! Seems to be a pretty good turnout so far on this leg. Let's hope for a lot of walk-ups and last minute purchases on the back of the successful (sold out?) show last night. 8)
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

Smekaren wrote:Thanks Nibs! Seems to be a pretty good turnout so far on this leg. Let's hope for a lot of walk-ups and last minute purchases on the back of the successful (sold out?) show last night. 8)
From your mouth to God's ears. :D

This trip down under is a huge success. With sold out and near sold out attendances night after night what more can you ask for? It also appears the Allphones Aren just sold out too. If that's the case I bet Paul and Gene are kicking themselves that the ticket prices were too low. :D :D :D
Wet Willie
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Wet Willie »

There will be a lot of walkups in Melbourne.

There is a lot of good will toward KIss and they have done a lot of positive media for the shows
Smekaren

Post by Smekaren »

Wet Willie wrote:There will be a lot of walkups in Melbourne.

There is a lot of good will toward KIss and they have done a lot of positive media for the shows
Sounds promising. 8)
croarg74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by croarg74 »

Smekaren wrote:
Incubus wrote:I loved it, show was awesome, Rob from the crew is a really nice guy, meet and greet was great, Tommy and Eric were great to talk to.

The worst part of the show. He struggled. Barely audible during IWMFLY.
Gene on the other hand, was fantastic and I never thought I'd say that in 2015.
While not a huge fan of this lineup, I got some cheap tix and I took the girlfriend to show her what all the fuss was a bout and she really enjoyed herself. The production is awesome.
But Mr Stanley is a shadow of his former self.
dogmatic
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by dogmatic »

Finally got to photograph them :)

https://johnraptisphotography.com/kiss- ... melbourne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kissgod
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissgod »

dogmatic wrote:Finally got to photograph them :)

https://johnraptisphotography.com/kiss- ... melbourne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow they are some really awesome shots.
Australia
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Australia »

Lasttix.com, half price tickets for tonight, gold floor, were 140, now 70, even at half price, the imposters just put me off too much
1000000-2-1
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 1000000-2-1 »

So cool pics!!!
Thanks for sharing 8)
Red Walrus

Post by Red Walrus »

croarg74 wrote:
Smekaren wrote:

The worst part of the show. He struggled. Barely audible during IWMFLY.
Gene on the other hand, was fantastic and I never thought I'd say that in 2015.
While not a huge fan of this lineup, I got some cheap tix and I took the girlfriend to show her what all the fuss was a bout and she really enjoyed herself. The production is awesome.
But Mr Stanley is a shadow of his former self.

From the vid he sounded the best I've heard in recent years. You can clearly tell when he says "Everybody Sing" and at the end that the volume was turned down...seemed to work tho.
KISSKid4ever
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSKid4ever »

I went for the first time last night with my mum and sister, who were seeing their first rock concert, plus my dad who hadn't seen them for 35 years.

They. Kicked. Ass!

All the little things you guys nit pick about on this message board were barely noticed last night. Yes Paul's voice was rough at points but not so bad that it detracted from the mood and overall experience of the show. He had flashes of the old Paul vocally, and when he just let go and danced around, and that was fantastic to see. Gene was solid all night and really helps carry the band. Tommy is a great player, and Eric is fantastic. For all the complaints about this current line up, I say this: this band is so fucking tight. I'm a musician myself and I could not pick a fault with the show musically. 'Detroit' and 'Deuce' just blew me away. It was tight and the music absolutely pounded throughout the arena. Peter's drumming cannot hold a candle to what Eric can do, and Tommy, while not Ace, is solid. As for the setlist: its clear. There are many casual fans coming to see KISS. I saw a lot of kids dressed up in makeup ready for their first show. The hits were lapped up big time. The lesser known songs like 'Hell or Hallelujah' and 'War machine' nonetheless, were received pretty well by the crowd. But KISS know their formula and its not going to change. I would go see their show again if I had the chance. My family had a ball. My sister screamed almost non stop through out it and she sang some songs several pitches higher :lol: She was also doing the tongue A LOT haha and her enthusiasm paid off, because security personally handed her a Paul Stanley guitar pick!! When it all ended, our family all embraced in a hug and with tears. KISS means a lot to our family, and their performance honoured the memories we have of them and their songs. As long as KISS keeps doing that, they don't need to stop just yet.
Red Walrus

Post by Red Walrus »

KISSKid4ever wrote:I went for the first time last night with my mum and sister, who were seeing their first rock concert, plus my dad who hadn't seen them for 35 years.

They. Kicked. Ass!

All the little things you guys nit pick about on this message board were barely noticed last night. Yes Paul's voice was rough at points but not so bad that it detracted from the mood and overall experience of the show. He had flashes of the old Paul vocally, and when he just let go and danced around, and that was fantastic to see. Gene was solid all night and really helps carry the band. Tommy is a great player, and Eric is fantastic. For all the complaints about this current line up, I say this: this band is so fucking tight. I'm a musician myself and I could not pick a fault with the show musically. 'Detroit' and 'Deuce' just blew me away. It was tight and the music absolutely pounded throughout the arena. Peter's drumming cannot hold a candle to what Eric can do, and Tommy, while not Ace, is solid. As for the setlist: its clear. There are many casual fans coming to see KISS. I saw a lot of kids dressed up in makeup ready for their first show. The hits were lapped up big time. The lesser known songs like 'Hell or Hallelujah' and 'War machine' nonetheless, were received pretty well by the crowd. But KISS know their formula and its not going to change. I would go see their show again if I had the chance. My family had a ball. My sister screamed almost non stop through out it and she sang some songs several pitches higher :lol: She was also doing the tongue A LOT haha and her enthusiasm paid off, because security personally handed her a Paul Stanley guitar pick!! When it all ended, our family all embraced in a hug and with tears. KISS means a lot to our family, and their performance honoured the memories we have of them and their songs. As long as KISS keeps doing that, they don't need to stop just yet.
Thx for your review! :thumleft:
KISSKid4ever
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSKid4ever »

Not a problem! :)
kissgod
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissgod »

KISSKid4ever wrote:I went for the first time last night with my mum and sister, who were seeing their first rock concert, plus my dad who hadn't seen them for 35 years.

They. Kicked. Ass!

Great review. Yes I was there Melb night 1 and while Paul was a little rough, gene, tommy and Eric's vocals were top notch. There's something about a kiss show..it just takes you away from reality for 2 hours...and there's nothing wrong with that.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

:thumright:
MrBlackwell

Post by MrBlackwell »

They. Kicked. Ass!

great review!! thank you!
KISSKid4ever
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSKid4ever »

No problem :)

Another thing I just remembered. After Gene was lifted to the spider and got the audience to chant, I'd say the guy in charge of the sound level in either his fold back speaker or his IEM didn't have the audience up too loud, because he said 'if only I could hear you in my fucking ears!' :lol: