Nov. 29 - St. Charles, IL (SpACE Invader)

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Nov. 29 - St. Charles, IL (SpACE Invader)

Post by Admin »

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the set list, report live from the show!

Go Ace!
strangeways747
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Nov. 29 - St. Charles, IL (SpACE Invader)

Post by strangeways747 »

See you there.
I haven't seen Ace solo since 87.
Should be good.
Last edited by strangeways747 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peopleselbow
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by peopleselbow »

I'll be there.
RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

I'll be in the balcony seeing Ace for the first time.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those vote for the opener shows, right? So Ace should be on between 9-930.
DevastatinDave
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by DevastatinDave »

I'll be there, I assumed about a 9:30 start? Ticket says 8. Prob hang out at The Office or House Pub before/after.
RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

DevastatinDave wrote:I'll be there, I assumed about a 9:30 start? Ticket says 8. Prob hang out at The Office or House Pub before/after.
I would say 9 to be safe.
RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

Only 23 tickets left to be bought on the venues website. Not sure how many the box office may or may not be holding for people walking up the day of show. Looks a hell of a lot better than it did a few weeks ago though.

(900 seat venue)
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

I'll be there with a friend. PM me if you wanna meet up
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Have a great time, all! Mat, why isn't RS opening? :)
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

RockSoldier52 wrote:Only 23 tickets left to be bought on the venues website. Not sure how many the box office may or may not be holding for people walking up the day of show. Looks a hell of a lot better than it did a few weeks ago though.

(900 seat venue)
There's actually 80 but it's a great crowd and still could sell out nonetheless. As I've mentioned on one of my earlier posts, this looked to be one of the biggest gates on the tour.

GO ACE!
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

Just got back. Did the meet and greet. Went fairly well. Ace signed everything but was kind of a dick.

The show was great. Ace was flawless and the band was tight as hell. Scarlett's voice was kind of rough .

Here's some pics :

necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

Rip it out
Gimme a feelin
Toys
Parasite
Snow blind
Love gun
Breakout
King of the nighttime world
Strutter
Change
Strange ways
Rock soldiers
Ny groove
Shock me
2 young
Rocket ride
(Encore)
Drc
Cold gin
Deuce
DevastatinDave
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by DevastatinDave »

necronomicon wrote:Rip it out
Gimme a feelin
Toys
Parasite
Snow blind
Love gun
Breakout
Strutter
Change
Strange ways
Rock soldiers
Ny groove
Shock me
2 young
Rocket ride
(Encore)
Drc
Cold gin
Deuce
Sorry I missed you brother! Shot Full of Rock was on the setlist after 2 Young but skipped. I could have done without Scarlet taking his shirt off, but I thought the band and Ace were on tonight.
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

peopleselbow wrote:Just got back. Did the meet and greet. Went fairly well. Ace signed everything but was kind of a dick.

The show was great. Ace was flawless and the band was tight as hell. Scarlett's voice was kind of rough .

Here's some pics :

What was the problem in the meet and greet?

Still nothing from ANOMALY....how disappointing.
strangeways747

ACE FREHLEY 11.29.2014

Post by strangeways747 »

Just got back from Ace in St. Charles.
I had a great time and was glad I went.
I thought that Ace played great and even though there might have been a hiccup here or there it was fine and such is life at a live rock show.
Richie Scarlet was totally great and I loved every minute of him!
He was a whirling, spinning, topsy-turvy ball of energy and I appreciated it.
I thought it was great that Richie brought out his wife and gave her props for being with him for twenty plus years.
My thoughts on the set are that Ace should dump King of the Night Time World, Detroit Rock City and Strutter. I'll give him Love Gun just for fun and to please the casual fan.
In their place he can put some Kiss tunes that he wrote or sang on OR more of his solo stuff.
Personally I would've inserted Genghis Khan, Outer Space and Dark Light but that's just me.
Still, I had a great time and had not seen Ace solo since 1987.

Rip It Out
Gimme a Feelin'
Toys
Parasite (Kiss song)
Snowblind
Love Gun (Kiss song)
Breakout
Space Invader
King of the Night Time World (Kiss song)
Strutter (Kiss song)
Change
Bass Solo
Strange Ways (Kiss song)
Rock Soldiers
New York Groove (Hello cover)
Shock Me (Kiss song)
Ace Guitar Solo
2 Young 2 Die
Rocket Ride (Kiss song)
Encore:
Detroit Rock City (Kiss song)
Cold Gin (Kiss song)
Deuce (Kiss song)

Last edited by strangeways747 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vinniestkulick

Post by vinniestkulick »

Gimme a feelin
Toys
Parasite
Snow blind
Love gun
Breakout
Strutter
Change
Strange ways
Rock soldiers
Ny groove
Shock me
2 young
Rocket ride
(Encore)
Drc
Cold gin
Deuce
Thanks for the set list... surely he did Space Invader, too? Usually it's right before KOTNW.
cwr18

Re: ACE FREHLEY 11.29.2014

Post by cwr18 »

Awesome! Thanks for review and great photos. I know you are a great one for the details. Superb!
Diss

Post by Diss »

Awesome photos!! Looks like a great venue.
1000000-2-1
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 1000000-2-1 »

"Ace Frehley of KISS"

Nope...

Great pics anyway 8)
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Great place to see a show....been there many times. Great sound....you can see perfectly from any seat in the building. I wasn't able to make it last night but hope to if he comes back. A lot of artists and bands seem to return to this venue. I think it's because they usually draw well there and the place is cool.

Yeah,I would agree with those that would take out KING OF THE....STRUTTER....etc. Songs he didn't sing or write. I think more of his stuff would be cool. Would love to see more from DYNASTY and UNMASKED along with a couple from TROUBLE WALKIN and even DARK LIGHT would be very cool. He's always wanted to front his own band I guess....so play YOUR stuff I say!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

1000000-2-1 wrote:"Ace Frehley of KISS"

Nope...

Great pics anyway 8)
Didn't even notice that. You're right.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

Rhiannon wrote:
peopleselbow wrote:Just got back. Did the meet and greet. Went fairly well. Ace signed everything but was kind of a dick.

Here's some pics :

What was the problem in the meet and greet?

Still nothing from ANOMALY....how disappointing.
I agree. i love Anomoly but the set was still great and the band phenomenal.

The meet and greet itself was fairly well organized and Ace would sign anything you brought. He just was kind of a dick. Didn't say much to the fans. The opposite of Gene Simmons.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

vinniestkulick wrote:
Gimme a feelin
Toys
Parasite
Snow blind
Love gun
Breakout
Strutter
Change
Strange ways
Rock soldiers
Ny groove
Shock me
2 young
Rocket ride
(Encore)
Drc
Cold gin
Deuce
Thanks for the set list... surely he did Space Invader, too? Usually it's right before KOTNW.
He played Space Invader
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

vinniestkulick wrote:
Gimme a feelin
Toys
Parasite
Snow blind
Love gun
Breakout
Strutter
Change
Strange ways
Rock soldiers
Ny groove
Shock me
2 young
Rocket ride
(Encore)
Drc
Cold gin
Deuce
He did do space invader! Sorry. It was definitely in that slot.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

Okay, folks. Here's the real deal. I've seen KISS 3 times (Without Ace). I've always loved Ace and his playing in KISS and have dug some of his solo stuff. Last night exceeded my expectations and was a DAMN good rock show. Ace's playing is really good. People saying he doesn't have it or is at bar band level aren't at the shows or just saw some halfass youtube videos. I'm a guitar player and mentally know his solos from the records and he was on last night. Yeah, he's not jumping around like the 70s, but he does move around and he is into his playing. Some of the early videos from the tour don't do it justice. He was in a good mood and the place was packed. I didn't see an empty seat. The setlist was really good. The only KISS song I wasn't super into was KOTNW, but let me tell you, the crowd was super into the KISS material. Especially Strutter for some reason haha. Ace nailed the KISS songs. Parasite was superb. His solo spot was really tight and even better than videos I had seen. The smoking guitar and light guitar are awesome in person. For a fan of KISS and Ace, the show was amazing. Not to be that guy, but it blew away the KISS/Motley Crue show I saw a few years ago. It honestly doesn't get better than hearing the real SpaceAce crank out the riffs and solos loud and in person. It can try to be copied, but it's just not the same.

If you are on the edge and not sure about going... Go. You won't regret it.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

RockSoldier52 wrote:Okay, folks. Here's the real deal. I've seen KISS 3 times (Without Ace). I've always loved Ace and his playing in KISS and have dug some of his solo stuff. Last night exceeded my expectations and was a DAMN good rock show. Ace's playing is really good. People saying he doesn't have it or is at bar band level aren't at the shows or just saw some halfass youtube videos. I'm a guitar player and mentally know his solos from the records and he was on last night. Yeah, he's not jumping around like the 70s, but he does move around and he is into his playing. Some of the early videos from the tour don't do it justice. He was in a good mood and the place was packed. I didn't see an empty seat. The setlist was really good. The only KISS song I wasn't super into was KOTNW, but let me tell you, the crowd was super into the KISS material. Especially Strutter for some reason haha. Ace nailed the KISS songs. Parasite was superb. His solo spot was really tight and even better than videos I had seen. The smoking guitar and light guitar are awesome in person. For a fan of KISS and Ace, the show was amazing. Not to be that guy, but it blew away the KISS/Motley Crue show I saw a few years ago. It honestly doesn't get better than hearing the real SpaceAce crank out the riffs and solos loud and in person. It can try to be copied, but it's just not the same.

THIS !

100 % agree.
vinniestkulick

Post by vinniestkulick »

RockSoldier52 wrote:Okay, folks. Here's the real deal. I've seen KISS 3 times (Without Ace). I've always loved Ace and his playing in KISS and have dug some of his solo stuff. Last night exceeded my expectations and was a DAMN good rock show. Ace's playing is really good. People saying he doesn't have it or is at bar band level aren't at the shows or just saw some halfass youtube videos. I'm a guitar player and mentally know his solos from the records and he was on last night. Yeah, he's not jumping around like the 70s, but he does move around and he is into his playing. Some of the early videos from the tour don't do it justice. He was in a good mood and the place was packed. I didn't see an empty seat. The setlist was really good. The only KISS song I wasn't super into was KOTNW, but let me tell you, the crowd was super into the KISS material. Especially Strutter for some reason haha. Ace nailed the KISS songs. Parasite was superb. His solo spot was really tight and even better than videos I had seen. The smoking guitar and light guitar are awesome in person. For a fan of KISS and Ace, the show was amazing. Not to be that guy, but it blew away the KISS/Motley Crue show I saw a few years ago. It honestly doesn't get better than hearing the real SpaceAce crank out the riffs and solos loud and in person. It can try to be copied, but it's just not the same.

Cool review... I feel the same. Have now seen three shows on this tour, and mostly what I am left with is that I can't think of a time when he's played better, sounded better LIVE... when I have seen him. My first show being in 1979, when the whole thing didn't feel quite right (e.g. I wanted new solo material all nite long. and more than 2 songs off of Dynasty!) ANYWAY, he definitely is playing better than he did with KISS on the reunion tour, or at least his SOUND is 100x crisper and what most fans would want (exactly like what you hear at the end of KOTNW on ALIVE II... the TONE). People are crazy if they don't give one show a shot.
RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

vinniestkulick wrote:

Cool review... I feel the same. Have now seen three shows on this tour, and mostly what I am left with is that I can't think of a time when he's played better, sounded better LIVE... when I have seen him. My first show being in 1979, when the whole thing didn't feel quite right (e.g. I wanted new solo material all nite long. and more than 2 songs off of Dynasty!) ANYWAY, he definitely is playing better than he did with KISS on the reunion tour, or at least his SOUND is 100x crisper and what most fans would want (exactly like what you hear at the end of KOTNW on ALIVE II... the TONE). People are crazy if they don't give one show a shot.
Definitely. Hearing that Les Paul cranked through the Marshall... there's just something electrifying about it. True KISS and Ace fans need to get to a show.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Detroit Rock City :

Cold Gin :
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Love Gun :
RockSoldier52
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by RockSoldier52 »

Thanks for posting those.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Rip It Out

Gimme A Feeling / Toys

Strange Ways :

Breakout :

Snowblind / Love Gun :

New York Groove :

Rocket Ride :

Space Invader / King Of The Night Time World / Strutter

Parasite :

Change :

Shock Me / Solo / 2 Young 2 Die :

Rock Soldiers :
kisskrazyjim
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kisskrazyjim »

Kinda funny to read that Ace was kind of a Dick to his meet and greet fans. I have met Ace 4 times and every time I met him he was a DICK! St Charles is only about 20 minutes from my house and honestly, I would not cross the street to see this man. He doesnt have to blow me but just some form of genuine courtesy (even if its phony) can go a long way. I have said it before and i will say it again. If it wasnt for people like me (fans) he would be a washed up sack of crap. He should be happy that people still want to support him and somewhat greatful for allowing him to lead a better life than most of us could ever dream of. With this I say "F" YOU Ace. You will never see another dime of my money!