Prattish Pontificator

8/28/14 - Maryland Heights, MO

Post by Admin »

Maryland Heights, MO
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Dead Daisies
Reported audience: TBD / 20,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: 8/28/14 - Maryland Heights, MO

Post by Mr D »

4 more days. Can't wait. Who else is going?
stlkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by stlkiss »

I will be there with my brother and my nephews!
PelagicJoe
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by PelagicJoe »

I will be there as well.
gvermin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by gvermin »

I'll be there. I am going to wait to buy tickets until I get there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. My guess is that my buddy and I are going to do a bit of tailgating before the show.
vern
methoslvr
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by methoslvr »

I'm going as well. This is will be first KISS show!
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

methoslvr that is awesome. Hope you enjoy your first KISS show.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

I will be there with both my mom and dad who have been Kiss fans since 1974, my girlfriend who is pregnant(we find out when the baby is due tommorow), and my step-dad who is more of a fan of Def Leppard then Kiss,but he is mostly a casual fan of both bands. Will be my 4th time seeing Kiss. My first time seeing Def Leppard.
AceInAustin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by AceInAustin »

All four members of ROCKET RIDE (St. Louis' KISS & Ace Frehley Tribute) will be there at the show - out of makeup & costume - 3 on the lawn, and one near the stage (that would be ME)...

The KISS ARMY MISSOURI Division is planning a pre-show get together at "Dave & Buster's" near the venue, starting at 4pm.

I will be there as well for that, handing out free admission tickets to ROCKET RIDE's upcoming show at the St. Charles Family Arena on Friday, October 10th. Opening the show will be our special guests FALLEN ANGEL (St. Louis' Tribute to POISON).

#RocketRideAtFamilyArena
chadb2448
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chadb2448 »

AceInAustin wrote:All four members of ROCKET RIDE (St. Louis' KISS & Ace Frehley Tribute) will be there at the show - out of makeup & costume - 3 on the lawn, and one near the stage (that would be ME)...

The KISS ARMY MISSOURI Division is planning a pre-show get together at "Dave & Buster's" near the venue, starting at 4pm.

I will be there as well for that, handing out free admission tickets to ROCKET RIDE's upcoming show at the St. Charles Family Arena on Friday, October 10th. Opening the show will be our special guests FALLEN ANGEL (St. Louis' Tribute to POISON).

#RocketRideAtFamilyArena
Thanks for that info. I had tickets to your show at Pop's the last time but I couldn't make it. I'll have to keep that show on the radar. I won't be at D&B's tonight unfortunately.
Red Walrus

Post by Red Walrus »

ò¢† ǪÑÑÎߪ£ ãÐR wrote:I will be there with both my mom and dad who have been Kiss fans since 1974, my girlfriend who is pregnant(we find out when the baby is due tommorow), and my step-dad who is more of a fan of Def Leppard then Kiss,but he is mostly a casual fan of both bands. Will be my 4th time seeing Kiss. My first time seeing Def Leppard.
Congrats Dude!

Enjoy the show. :)
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

Another great Kiss Show (my 13th). Def Leppard also nailed it, my 4th time seeing them .
Some basic show notes.

The show was delayed due to vicious thunderstorm that rolled through an hour before gates opened. Some poor guy on a bicycle was cought in the storm about a mile from the venue and was apparently struck by lightning according to news reports. Gates were delayed a few minutes and the Daisies took the stage about 10-15 min late. That threw off the schedule the entire night. Def Leppard didn't come off until about 9:35. Kiss took the stage shortly before 10:00PM.

Due to the delay and curfew at the venue I was afraid we would not get the full show. As a result, after Black Diamond the band did not exit the stage. Paul explained they were behind schedule and if OK they would just launch into the final two songs. Even so, they ran well past curfew a good 15 minutes.

Standard set list was played including Paul's standard banter and nonsense talking even though they were behind. He really needs to come up with something new. Hearing the same scripted banter tour to tour is getting old.

Full Spider with all the movement and effects. I enjoyed the new stage. The lighting and quality of the video screen is best its ever been.

Huge crowd. Not sure that it was sold out but guessing at least 18,000 present even with the bad weather.

Did not notice any defects in the show or flubs with either bands's performance but I'm not good at catching that stuff.

I didn't think Paul's voice was the worst I have seen him. Noticed it most when he was just talking. Same with Joe, I did not notice as many vocal issues as I have noticed in the past.

Crowd was into both bands equally in my opinion. From where I was, everyone was standing 95% of the time.

All in all, a most enjoyable night of rock n roll.
chadb2448
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chadb2448 »

I was there and I was surprised at how big the crowd was there for a weeknight with rainy weather. I thought the rain would kill the walkup crowd, but I guess it came late enough that people were already en route. I couldn't see how full the seats were, but the lawn was full of fans.

Visually, this might have been the best Kiss show I've been to. A visual assault all night long.

It was my first time seeing Def Lep and I enjoyed them. I have to imagine though that the energy they brought to the stage in the 1980s dwarfed the energy now, though.

Dead Daisies? Not too bad! KSHE played a song on the radio while we were out in the car waiting out the storm and I thought it was catchy, so I put my Shazam app up to the speakers and it was Dead Daisies. A couple of their songs live almost had a Brother Cane vibe to it.

I've never missed Kiss when they've come to St. Louis and I'm sure to check them out again.
AceInAustin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by AceInAustin »

Some things I noticed during the show...

This was show #28 for me, and I can't remember a show offhand that had more constant pyro, at least since the Reunion Tour. There was a bit of pyro that miscued before the start of "Love Gun" - a sparkler stream near the left side of the stage.

During Gene's descent from the platform (in the guitar solo of "God of Thunder"), one of the cables in his harness snapped about three feet above the ground. Luckily, the center backup/safety cable took the brunt of the additional weight, and Gene landed on his feet. There were IMMEDIATELY two stage hands there when he touched down on the stage.

Noticed during "Black Diamond" that Eric may have accidentally smeared his face on his microphone arm, as by the middle of the song, the left half of his face was noticeably lacking in makeup.

Tommy's freshly-permed hair did NOT react well to the Missouri humidity post downpour... he had a bit of a "fuzzy mullet" going on.

My only comment on Paul's vocals... most songs were fine, however, he was seriously struggling during the verses for "Love Gun". To the point were he was intentionally singing behind the original melody line, to allow the music to "cover" his vocal issues.

All in all, it was still a great show, and if it is indeed the last KISS show (before KISS 2.0 becomes a reality) that I attend, then I'm okay with it.

Next up is ROCKET RIDE (The St. Louis Tribute to KISS & Ace Frehley) at St. Charles Family Arena, on Friday October 10th, with special guest FALLEN ANGEL (St. Louis Tribute to POISON). Check us out on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/rocketridestl

#RocketRideAtFamilyArena
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

I saw the commotion around Gene when he landed but didn't know what it was about. Too far back to se that detail.

A couple more comments I forgot to mention.

Gene's fire breathing didn't go well. In fact from my angle it appeared to be a malfunction of sorts. The fireball seemed very small and didn't go anywhere. The whole thing appeared to explode inches from his face. Not sure if he lost focus or what but appeared very dangerous to me. Need to look for some video or pics to confirm.

Paul had trouble counting 1,2,3 to get people to say his name (to call him to come out to the platform). The last attempt when he attempted to scream it just came out like a garbled mess.

I had never seen as much confetti as I did when I exited the seats to the back towards the lawn. They have confetti cannons back there now near the last rows of seats and it was so thick it looked like it snowed. A couple inches thick on seats, the ground, steps, etc. Fans were just grabbing armloads of the stuff.
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

Red Walrus wrote:
ò¢† ǪÑÑÎߪ£ ãÐR wrote:I will be there with both my mom and dad who have been Kiss fans since 1974, my girlfriend who is pregnant(we find out when the baby is due tommorow), and my step-dad who is more of a fan of Def Leppard then Kiss,but he is mostly a casual fan of both bands. Will be my 4th time seeing Kiss. My first time seeing Def Leppard.
Congrats Dude!

Enjoy the show. :)

Thank you. We all did!! :D
Mr D
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr D »

Some pictures I took at this show, not the best but best I could get off my cell.
Attachments
VIDEO0018_0000227956.jpg
VIDEO0018_0000200887.jpg
VIDEO0009_0000043985.jpg
VIDEO0009_0000036785.jpg