Whee Wan

8/26/14 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Post by Julien »

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Blossom Music Center
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Dead Daisies
Reported audience: TBD / 23,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Re: 8/26/14 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Post by TheSphinx »

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... _kiss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quotable Gene Simmons and KISS come to town for Blossom gig -- but don't expect a Rock Hall visit
drummernowlin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drummernowlin »

Who's going?!? I'm bringing a new father to his first ever concert. Not a bad way to start.

I've never been to Blossom...will they get to use the Spider to its full extent?!?
The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

I will be there! This is actually going to be my first KISS concert and I'm bringing my best friend with me (who doesn't know much about KISS). I'm hoping to make him into a KISS Army Konvert!
drummernowlin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drummernowlin »

The Space Ace wrote:I will be there! This is actually going to be my first KISS concert and I'm bringing my best friend with me (who doesn't know much about KISS). I'm hoping to make him into a KISS Army Konvert!
Excellent...I am also bringing someone who has never seen a concert. Should be a good time.
FracturedMirror78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by FracturedMirror78 »

drummernowlin wrote:Who's going?!? I'm bringing a new father to his first ever concert. Not a bad way to start.

I've never been to Blossom...will they get to use the Spider to its full extent?!?
I won't be there but I've seen the band there twice. Its kind of a smaller stage set up so I don't think they will descend down on the spider for the intro. Its limited space at blossom.
HOFCity
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by HOFCity »

I will be there !!!!
vaspaceman
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by vaspaceman »

Not going but I saw Eric Clapton there a few years ago. It was a long hike to the ampitheatre but being from out of town we probably parked at the end of the lot. LOL!
acevid
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by acevid »

Had no plans to attend, but then this morning a casual friend offered tix to my Wife and I..so it'll be my first concert since Hot in the Shade tour. Warned my Wife Paul's voice is shot, but I couldn't pass up seeing them this late in the game because who knows when/if they'll tour again.
jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

acevid wrote:Had no plans to attend, but then this morning a casual friend offered tix to my Wife and I..so it'll be my first concert since Hot in the Shade tour. Warned my Wife Paul's voice is shot, but I couldn't pass up seeing them this late in the game because who knows when/if they'll tour again.
Hope it goes well. Give us a review after the show.
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by nibbler1982 »

If all indicators are correct, this one is approaching a sellout.
The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

nibbler1982 wrote:If all indicators are correct, this one is approaching a sellout.
They usually get a good crowd for this venue.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

The Space Ace wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:If all indicators are correct, this one is approaching a sellout.
They usually get a good crowd for this venue.
I've had the pleasure of attending HSOE at that venue. As you mentioned, KISS is always a strong draw over here.

At the moment the pavilion looks 90% sold and the lawn is medium blue with the "4-Pack" special no longer available. They usually stop offering that promo when it's down to the last couple of thousand. It looks like 20,000 strong.
kissjrj

Post by kissjrj »

Shake things up:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elibuster
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Elibuster »

Very interesting dome shaped amphitheater. Interesting to see how Kiss utilizes what appears to be an awkward space. We shall see. Place is packed by the way!!!
acevid
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by acevid »

So far, Def Leppard is turning in a pretty solid performance IMO...
acevid
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by acevid »

So far Paul has been sitting during parts of a few songs..his voice is just...well you know, but hey it's still fun to see Kiss. Don't know what's up with the sitting... I guess Paul is getting old...the humidity here is other-worldly tonight
DaBonadono
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DaBonadono »

Sitting???
acevid
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by acevid »

DaBonadono wrote:Sitting???
I shit you negative..I was shocked....it wasn't like over-acting sitting...he was on his ass with feet dangling off stage.
KissAlive35_09
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by KissAlive35_09 »

:shock:

He does this routinely during each show.

Nothing out of the ordinary...nothing is wrong.

Photos are mine from Saturday night in Detroit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acevid
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by acevid »

KissAlive35_09 wrote::shock:

He does this routinely during each show.

Nothing out of the ordinary...nothing is wrong.

Photos are mine from Saturday night in Detroit.
My bad...it was just odd to see him sitting...like I said, my first in show since hot in the shade....I don't recall seeing him in footage from other shows seemingly taking a break...
KissAlive35_09
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by KissAlive35_09 »

Not a problem at all

Rock on!

:twisted:
The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

Just got back from the show. That was amazing! Well, as amazing as it gets for the current band. Personally I thought Paul was having a "good" night as far as his voice is concerned. We had some of the cheapest pavilion seats and I'm glad we got them, but next time I think I'd like to be a little closer. We actually weren't too far from Paul's "solo stage" and it was just crazy to me that I was that close to a rock legend. The only drawback was the short set, but I already expected that. I just wish Tommy could have sung a song and had a proper solo. I was really happy that they opened with Psycho Circus too. This was my first KISS show and I hope it won't have to be my last!
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

I got lost multiple times. Google maps gave me completely contradictory results. It told me to turn left and right onto the road....... :roll:

The roof of that place was varnished wood. Looked like it cost an absolute fortune. It rained, but not too much. I was in the fourth row so I didn't get wet and it was almost over by the time the show stopped. Gene appeared too have an equipment problem and went to the left corner of the stage while Tommy and Paul did a bit of "The Who" thing for a minute or two.
Eric was on fire. I had a great time. I got a new shirt that they didn't have at Riverbend. It's beautiful. It has a Bald Eagle on it. Spiro must be out of work because the new designs are good. :mrgreen:
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

acevid wrote:
DaBonadono wrote:Sitting???
I shit you negative..I was shocked....it wasn't like over-acting sitting...he was on his ass with feet dangling off stage.

Ten feet in front of me to be exact. 8) He was doing masturbation motions on the guitar like Cate Blanchet did with the Oscar she won. Very classy. The little kid behind me dressed like Gene looked really good. One kid was brought up on stage and hugged by Paul. Also 8)
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Well ....... that's it for me ( as far as seeing the band live )

Had a blast - but - unless I'm in the first 10 rows ..... just not doing it again.

Def Leppard was AWESOME !!!!
KISS , kind of a let down ...... granted I had two of my kids with me - one of which I was holding for most of the show and during the downpour.

The crowd was REALLY into Def Leppard , KISS , not so much. KISS just doesn't have the songs ( IMO ) to keep the audiences attention - - they have the gimmick and the explosions , just not songs in which the crowd can relate too.
PC is the worst opening song the band has ever played - by the end of it - the crowd is already dead.... then by the end of HTH the crowd is really sleeping.

Had to leave towards the middle of LIU b/c my daughter fell asleep on my shoulders and my son was exhausted as well.

Disappointing experience for me ..... started out great though with Def Leppard and even enjoyed the Dead Daisies.
thundergod76
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thundergod76 »

Def Leppard were awesome!! WORST opening by KISS Ive ever seen. The curtain malfunctioned and was only partially down. Then it dropped early during their "stage entrance" video and they were just standing there looking stupid. Complete buzzkill! Everyone in my Sec were like WTF?! The spider did absolutely NOTHING the whole show and just hung there. I took my GF to her first KISS show and what a disappointment. Their entrance has always been a focal point. Not last night. The rest of their show was mediocre at best. Paul's voice sounded the worst I'd ever heard. Even him talking to the crowd sounded really bad. First show I've went to where I left really thinking that they need to hang it up. I could go on but I'll just leave it at this. :evil:
Elibuster
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Elibuster »

I agree with everyone. Def Leppard was amazing. I'm not a big fan of there's bit am familiar with their hits and ol and behold...that's what they played: one chart smasher after another and the crowd loved it.

This was Kiss concert #41 for me and the first time I've been really disappointed. They were just "blah" in comparison. Very bummed that the spider didn't move an inch, and yes, the opening curtain malfunction and early reveal was kind of ridiculous.

Was it just me, or did Gene have his flying harness on at the beginning of his bass solo and then it was removed for some reason before he flew? I got distracted and looked away for a bit but I could have sworn I saw the rig cables on his back when the solo started and then when he didn't fly... The cables were gone? Losing my mind?
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

To be completely honest. Joe Elliot's voice is completely out of tune. It does not crack like Paul's but it sounds nothing like it used to. They use three and sometimes four point harmonies at once on most of the songs to help him out like Kiss does with Paul, but Joe is beyond hope/help. It doesn't sound like Joe. IF people are going to criticize Kiss, they need to be fair and point out what a complete shambles Joe is as a vocalist. Both times I have seen this tour he was terrible. People just get caught up in all top ten singles, and superb back up vocals.

The crowd was having a blast during the Kiss show. People were dour because lightning was flashing even though the rain was not hard, the wind was pretty bad for an hour and any bemusement from the crowd probably happened due to that, people kept looking back at it. I guess they were worried there 200 dollars was about to be shut down by the authorities. I am glad that didn't happen. Kiss was great. I can close my eyes and still tell who is singing when Paul sings. Joe? Might as well be a cover singer.

IMO
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

The Space Ace wrote:Just got back from the show. That was amazing! Well, as amazing as it gets for the current band. Personally I thought Paul was having a "good" night as far as his voice is concerned. We had some of the cheapest pavilion seats and I'm glad we got them, but next time I think I'd like to be a little closer. We actually weren't too far from Paul's "solo stage" and it was just crazy to me that I was that close to a rock legend. The only drawback was the short set, but I already expected that. I just wish Tommy could have sung a song and had a proper solo. I was really happy that they opened with Psycho Circus too. This was my first KISS show and I hope it won't have to be my last!

I am glad you enjoyed yourself.
thundergod76
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thundergod76 »

Joes voice = issues
Pauls voice = shambles

Btw way didnt notice Gene's harness at all. Wouldnt they have to remove his armor to remove the harness?
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... _blos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shazapp
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Shazapp »

This was my 13th KISS show and the first where I left early. That's never happened at KISS show for me before. Sadly, I ducked out as "Black Diamond" started.

Def Leppard was really solid. It was my third time seeing them (first time was on the Hysteria tour). I was not expecting to enjoy them as much as I did since I am not a huge fan. They hit every song out of the park from my perspective.

KISS came out stumbling with the aforementioned curtain/intro problem and never really recovered. The spider stage was a dud. The pyro seemed to be toned down for the Blossom stage. My biggest issue though was they just plodded through the set and the audience seemed to pick up on it. People who were standing and cheering for Def Leppard were sitting down for KISS. No one around me could understand Paul's stage raps, so that took even more energy out of the crowd.

I was initially sorry my wife couldn't make it to the show with me. Now, I'm kind of glad. It would have been her first one...and she would have walked away wondering why I am a fan.

I realize they're getting older, etc...but this was my last KISS show.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

" People who were standing and cheering for Def Leppard were sitting down for KISS. No one around me could understand Paul's stage raps, so that took even more energy out of the crowd "

^ ^ ^ ^ This is exactly what I wittnessed in my area as well..... and your right Pauls' voice did not coming across as crisp and clear as Joes' did.

and like you......... I've never been a big Def Leppard fan either......but they indeed hit it out of the park last night.

Even the songs from them I've never really cared for came through great live.

Def Leppard ..... 9/10 - - - if they would have had a ' show ' to go along with their set it would have easily been a 10/10

KISS .......... 4/10
jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

Besides the awful spider stage, the only thing I didn't care for was Paul's and Joe's voice at the Detroit show. Joe cannot hit the high notes that he use to.

Makes me wonder, why even bother setting up the spider if its not going to be used?
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

jconnors wrote:Besides the awful spider stage, the only thing I didn't care for was Paul's and Joe's voice at the Detroit show. Joe cannot hit the high notes that he use to.

Makes me wonder, why even bother setting up the spider if its not going to be used?
Exactly .... why bother setting it up if it's not even going to be used - - didn't someone get hurt or die b/c of that F'in thing ?

USE the F'er or have a back up stage to set up and USE for those smaller venues. Last night the Spider looked completly stupid. My first time seeing it first hand and unlike all these - - " You have to see it in person to appreciate it " ..... I was not impressed at all.
thundergod76
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thundergod76 »

Speaking of sitting down I was shocked to see what looked like half the pavillion sit down as soon as Hide Your Heart started.
I agree. Use the damn spider or have a backup plan!! Tired of paying top $$ for half a show and short setlist. Did I mention I paid 3x the ticket price plus fanclub dues to get seats the day they went on sale? How the hell is this VIP treatment??? Seats in my row were still available for 1/3 of what I paid! NEVER AGAIN!!
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Something happened after Def Leppard that just took the air out of the balloon ( so-to-speak ) ...... I mean the Dead Daisies got the ball rolling with some good Rock and Roll thug along songs - - then Def Leppard absolutley KILLED it.

The place couldn't have been more AMPED for KISS - - it was the perfect setup ..... but from the opening horrible song the whole show just fell flat on it's ass ( and that's what the crowd sat on during KISS )

Def Leppard .... even without ANY pyro ..... blew KISS away last night.
j2m1979
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by j2m1979 »

Thanks for your honesty. Good review.
Starryeyed Guy

Post by Starryeyed Guy »

From my seat 5th row (sorry, I took the film with just an iPhone):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one of Def Lep came out okay I guess:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... _blos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of pics on website!

KISS and Def Leppard rock Blossom in the rain
1 / 18
Gene Simmons takes the stage as legendary rock band Kiss performs at Blossom Music Center on Tuesday, August 26, 2014. (Thomas Ondrey/The Plain Dealer)
Thomas Ondrey, The Plain Dealer
Print
Michael Heaton, The Plain Dealer By Michael Heaton, The Plain Dealer
on August 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM, updated August 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio -- Shortly after KISS took the stage at Blossom Music Center Tuesday night, Paul Stanley, lead singer and guitarist, addressed the audience.

"This band you see up here on stage is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," he said to thunderous applause. "And it's all because of you."

It was the first of several sweet moments during the headliner's set.

I saw KISS for the first time two years ago, also at Blossom, and the first thing that struck me about their show was how rote everything was. Despite all the pyrotechnics and stage business, the band was about as spontaneous as as insurance underwriter's report.

Even the set list marked what kind of stunt would follow which song. "Gene swallows fire. Gene spits blood. Paul flies," it said matter-of-factly.

How tedious this must be for them, I thought. They've been performing this exact paint by number carnival for decades, night after night. Where do they find it within themselves to make it fresh and fun, I wondered.

But Tuesday night I had a new appreciation for their dedication to their loyal audience and just how damn hard they work to pull this show off, night after night, year after year.

At one point, Stanley asked how many people had brought their children to the concert. He asked for a show of hands and there were many. One little girl, maybe 5 years old was in full KISS face make-up complete with a black wig. Stanley brought her onstage and held her in his arms.

"I just want you kids to know," he said to the almost sold-out venue. "We've been here for your parents and we will be here for you, too."

It was an emotional love fest that wasn't in evidence two years ago when the night's most off-the-cuff moment came when opening band Motley Crue's lead singer Vince Neil broke his ankle while leading a parade up to the stage. He played on gamely through his set hobbling around the stage.

But Tuesday night Stanley seemed to be speaking from his heart in between songs. At one point he even became unapologetically religious.

"We've been coming here a long time," he said about Blossom. "Before some of you were born. And I thank God, I thank God," he said repeating himself.

"For the honor and privilege of performing here. I mean we used to play the Agora."

It was a funny line and local reference not lost on anyone who has followed rock music, even casually, in this town for the last 50 years.

Gene Simmons did his usual kooky kabuki and tongue wagging routine. Local boy Eric Singer beat the cheese out of his drum set all night and Tommy Thayer got his guitar licks in when required.

But there was a sense of audience appreciation Tuesday night that wasn't there two years ago. Maybe it was that the audience on the lawn endured a soaking after a rain shower rolled through early in the program. It might have something to do with the Rock Hall induction. Who can say? But even though the set list and stage gags remained the same, the vibe was very sweet and sincere. KISS could have gotten away with calling themselves SMOOCH Tuesday night.

And who knew there were thousands of people in Cleveland who know all the lyrics to a dozen Def Leppard songs? Not me. But it was in clear evidence at Blossom Tuesday night that the '80s British metal, power-anthem band has not been forgotten by folks in Northeast Ohio.

A forest of fist-pumping fans, many holding aloft a sea of blue, Bud Lite tallboy cans, sang along with every word.

The band's muscular and at times melodic opening set delivered high voltage favorites such as "Love Bites," "Bringin' On the Heartbreak" and their classic rock radio hit "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for a very appreciative crowd.

Leppard lead singer Joe Elliott mentioned that one dollar from every ticket on the tour went to the Wounded Warrior Foundation for returning veterans. It was yet another feel-good moment for the loud and large evening.