Prattish Pontificator

8/10/14 - Hartford, CT

Post by Admin »

Hartford, CT
The Xfinity Theater
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Dead Daisies
Reported audience: TBD / 30,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Re: 8/10/14 - Hartford, CT

Post by nibbler1982 »

I figure right now would be a goodtime to get an oil change before the three hour trek. :D
thespork461
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by thespork461 »

This'll be show #5 for me, the first since Hottest Show on Earth. I'm bringing a friend and his little brother who have never been to ANY concerts, so I'm pumped for them. I'll post a review after when I get home. Hope to see some fellow FAQers :D
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Looks like another picture postcard day ahead...
Attachments
image.jpg
KF73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by KF73 »

I miss seeing shows at "The Meadows". I lived in CT for my first 24 years and saw many of the first shows there during the first season in 1995. Saw Queensryche that summer and Van Halen.

Enjoy the show tonight... wish I could catch another on this tour but it just isn't on the cards!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Postcard picture blue skies as the tailgating begins...
Attachments
image.jpg
KISSRevenge244
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by KISSRevenge244 »

Illness is preventing me from attending tonight, and I couldn't be more bummed about it. Have a great time all!
anomoly2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by anomoly2 »

I actually have a front row invite for two but can't attend due to my local campaign. I've already tried but they won't transfer the tickets nor would they transfer them for Jones Beach. This is the first Hartford show in over 20 years I'm not attending.

At the same time, I just saw them last week and saw this production twice not to mention the Kruise. I'd rather focus on KK4 and the Vegas Residency.

My favorite is this one, larger stage to accommodate all productions. And one of the larger ones as well.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

anomoly2 wrote:I actually have a front row invite for two but can't attend due to my local campaign. I've already tried but they won't transfer the tickets nor would they transfer them for Jones Beach. This is the first Hartford show in over 20 years I'm not attending.

At the same time, I just saw them last week and saw this production twice not to mention the Kruise. I'd rather focus on KK4 and the Vegas Residency.

My favorite is this one, larger stage to accommodate all productions. And one of the larger ones as well.
Sooner or later...you and me and shots of Patrón toasting to the hottest band in the world!!!

Hopefully sooner. Take care.
anomoly2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by anomoly2 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
anomoly2 wrote:I actually have a front row invite for two but can't attend due to my local campaign. I've already tried but they won't transfer the tickets nor would they transfer them for Jones Beach. This is the first Hartford show in over 20 years I'm not attending.

Sooner or later...you and me and shots of Patrón toasting to the hottest band in the world!!!

Hopefully sooner. Take care.
Definitely sooner brother!

I had every intention of being there but that's all I need " didn't make....because he was attending Kiss concert # 2307
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I said it before and I'll say it again...

DEF LEPPARD KICKS ASS!!!
thespork461
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by thespork461 »

Hey all, just got home from a great concert. I don't post very often but I thought I'd do a write up for anyone interested.

My friend, his brother, and I showed up in Hartford around 5 and parked a little ways down the road, so it was a bit of a walk but it sure beat parking in front of the venue and dealing with as much traffic at the end.

Gates opened at 5:30 and the actual doors opened at 6:00, so we visited the merch stand in between. Lots of shirts and random knick knacks for both bands, but I just bought a KISS shirt and the autographed Eric Singer drumhead (for $70...). There was a guy at the merch stand handing out cards advertising Space Invader, I thought that was cool.

Dead Daisies started at 7, nobody gave a crap about them, I'd say around a third of the seats were filled. They only played for a half hour, but I enjoyed them, the drummer was the star always throwing his sticks up.

Def Leppard played a fantastic show. I wasn't quite sure to expect as I had read lots of negative things regarding Joe's vocals, but I had bought Mirrorball and Viva Hysteria to familiarize myself with their songs and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't any worse than those albums. I think he still sounds great, he can still hit all the notes even of they aren't with the same power as he used to have. Everyone else was firing on all cylinders, tight as ever. It was very strange seeing Vivian bald, he looked like a different person, but it was good to see him still giving his all. There was a very minor glitch on the big screen during Love Bites, but otherwise I noticed no tech issues.The audience was on its feet the entire time and seemed to love every minute.

KISS was next, and I was super excited for my friend and his brother who knew next to nothing about the show but were familiar with most of the songs. Most of the setup for the stage was done before the curtain dropped so it was cool to see it come together. When the curtain did at last drop it was a few feet too short so they had to lower the front truss a bit so it'd touch the floor.

The place ended up packed, and again everyone was on their feet when it started. This was the first time I'd seen the spider stage in person and I gotta say, videos don't do it justice. With all the lights and pyro, plus the moving legs and lifting up and down, it's a very impressive show. They did descend on the spider at the beginning and go back up for the Won't Get Fooled Again bit of Lick It Up. However, Gene did not fly because the rig failed (he went up an inch or two, that's it). That was the only real hiccup of the night. Another little thing I noticed was the logo on Eric's left bass drum wasn't lit up on the top half, but oh well. When Paul flew out for Love Gun he was a lot closer than I expected him to be, so that was a bonus. They skipped the encore to not run past curfew but still did by a couple minutes.

Eric was on fire, he's playing with a lot more flair than I remember from a few years ago. Tommy was pretty good for the most part, he fudged up part of the Deuce and Dr. Love solos but was otherwise playing very well. Gene was great as always, and Paul's voice wasn't perfect but very noticably better, especially on Lick It Up and Love Gun.

Overall it was a great night out and was a near perfect first concert experience for my friend and his brother. I'm glad I can say I've seen War Machine and Hide Your Heart live now, and Def Leppard as well. If anyone's still on the fence about going to a show this tour, DO IT.

Peace out, back to lurking.....
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

thespork461 wrote:Hey all, just got home from a great concert. I don't post very often but I thought I'd do a write up for anyone interested.

My friend, his brother, and I showed up in Hartford around 5 and parked a little ways down the road, so it was a bit of a walk but it sure beat parking in front of the venue and dealing with as much traffic at the end.

Gates opened at 5:30 and the actual doors opened at 6:00, so we visited the merch stand in between. Lots of shirts and random knick knacks for both bands, but I just bought a KISS shirt and the autographed Eric Singer drumhead (for $70...). There was a guy at the merch stand handing out cards advertising Space Invader, I thought that was cool.

Dead Daisies started at 7, nobody gave a crap about them, I'd say around a third of the seats were filled. They only played for a half hour, but I enjoyed them, the drummer was the star always throwing his sticks up.

Def Leppard played a fantastic show. I wasn't quite sure to expect as I had read lots of negative things regarding Joe's vocals, but I had bought Mirrorball and Viva Hysteria to familiarize myself with their songs and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't any worse than those albums. I think he still sounds great, he can still hit all the notes even of they aren't with the same power as he used to have. Everyone else was firing on all cylinders, tight as ever. It was very strange seeing Vivian bald, he looked like a different person, but it was good to see him still giving his all. There was a very minor glitch on the big screen during Love Bites, but otherwise I noticed no tech issues.The audience was on its feet the entire time and seemed to love every minute.

KISS was next, and I was super excited for my friend and his brother who knew next to nothing about the show but were familiar with most of the songs. Most of the setup for the stage was done before the curtain dropped so it was cool to see it come together. When the curtain did at last drop it was a few feet too short so they had to lower the front truss a bit so it'd touch the floor.

The place ended up packed, and again everyone was on their feet when it started. This was the first time I'd seen the spider stage in person and I gotta say, videos don't do it justice. With all the lights and pyro, plus the moving legs and lifting up and down, it's a very impressive show. They did descend on the spider at the beginning and go back up for the Won't Get Fooled Again bit of Lick It Up. However, Gene did not fly because the rig failed (he went up an inch or two, that's it). That was the only real hiccup of the night. Another little thing I noticed was the logo on Eric's left bass drum wasn't lit up on the top half, but oh well. When Paul flew out for Love Gun he was a lot closer than I expected him to be, so that was a bonus. They skipped the encore to not run past curfew but still did by a couple minutes.

Eric was on fire, he's playing with a lot more flair than I remember from a few years ago. Tommy was pretty good for the most part, he fudged up part of the Deuce and Dr. Love solos but was otherwise playing very well. Gene was great as always, and Paul's voice wasn't perfect but very noticably better, especially on Lick It Up and Love Gun.

Always fun to read these reviews. Thank you!

Overall it was a great night out and was a near perfect first concert experience for my friend and his brother. I'm glad I can say I've seen War Machine and Hide Your Heart live now, and Def Leppard as well. If anyone's still on the fence about going to a show this tour, DO IT.

Peace out, back to lurking.....
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

Did Joe Elliott intro the band?
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

kissjrj wrote:Did Joe Elliott intro the band?
I'm gonna say yes.
saintsinner2007

Post by saintsinner2007 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
I'm gonna say yes.
I did notice that the voice did not seem as "powerful" when the intro was going on. I wondered if it was "someone else" doing it last night. I know Joe did the intro at PNC, has he done it any other times?
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

saintsinner2007 wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
I'm gonna say yes.
I did notice that the voice did not seem as "powerful" when the intro was going on. I wondered if it was "someone else" doing it last night. I know Joe did the intro at PNC, has he done it any other times?
I think it was him last night and at Jones Beach.
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

nibbler1982 wrote:
saintsinner2007 wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
I'm gonna say yes.
I think it was him last night and at Jones Beach.
You know times have changed when members of Def Leppard can do things after their show like jam with Kiss, intro Kiss, even watch Kiss, instead of things like chasing babes.

(I'm just poking fun tho', I like the blokes and their respect for Kiss.)
warmachine731
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by warmachine731 »

Yes, Joe introduced them again last night.

KISS was on fire, as was Def Lep. Great show, excellent turnout and with that said? Show #17 in the books.
See you out in Vegas on Nov 5, 7 & 8 :ace: :peter: :gene: :paul:
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

warmachine731 wrote:Yes, Joe introduced them again last night.

KISS was on fire, as was Def Lep. Great show, excellent turnout and with that said? Show #17 in the books.
Yeah they were. It's great to see Boris firing on all pistons. My last two shows that wasn't the case. At PNC the stage was too small and at Jones Beach the lighting truck flipped so she was naked. Quite a sight to behold when fully dressed and operational. I hope to make it to Vegas. My business is SLAMMING in November so my fingers are crossed that I can get out there.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

Was the guy handing out Space Invader stuff next to the booth, or behind the booth?
thespork461
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by thespork461 »

kingotnw wrote:Was the guy handing out Space Invader stuff next to the booth, or behind the booth?
He was walking around the lines giving out cards to anyone who'd take them.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

nibbler1982 wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:Yes, Joe introduced them again last night.

Yeah they were. It's great to see Boris firing on all pistons. My last two shows that wasn't the case. At PNC the stage was too small and at Jones Beach the lighting truck flipped so she was naked. Quite a sight to behold when fully dressed and operational. I hope to make it to Vegas. My business is SLAMMING in November so my fingers are crossed that I can get out there.
I was at the same shows as you, maybe we crossed paths. On the plus side, we saw three shows and three different entrances.

I'm glad that Boris was fully operational on Sunday. It adds a nice little touch to the KISS show.