8/9/14 - Scranton, PA

Post by Admin »

Scranton, PA
Toyota Pavilion @ Montage Mountain
Boardwalk Hall
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Dead Daisies
Reported audience: TBD / 18,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: 8/9/14 - Scranton, PA

Post by scotty971 »

I'll be there with Sunday Driver! Who else is going?
sunday driver
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by sunday driver »

I'm going, but I guess you already said that. Should be a pretty good party.
kissologistna
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kissologistna »

I'm going. Gates open at 3...party starts at 3:05 :D
sunday driver
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by sunday driver »

We're planning on getting there at 4.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I really wanted to add that one to the list but it just wasn't meant to be.

All you cats have a blast!!!
Muroh
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Muroh »

Third and final show of my summer tour. Weather is supposed to be great that night with a 0% chance of rain.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

If getting in and out of there wasn't such a drag -- well, mainly the 'out' part-- then I would consider it. My last (and lasting) memory of this place was parking a long ways away and being stuck on that one road out of there for like 2-hours. Still lots of expensive seats available. Hard to think they won't either drop the prices or offer them as upgrades at the venue.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

KISSman24 wrote:If getting in and out of there wasn't such a drag -- well, mainly the 'out' part-- then I would consider it. My last (and lasting) memory of this place was parking a long ways away and being stuck on that one road out of there for like 2-hours. Still lots of expensive seats available. Hard to think they won't either drop the prices or offer them as upgrades at the venue.
You need to go.

Pronto.

Do it.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote:
KISSman24 wrote:If getting in and out of there wasn't such a drag -- well, mainly the 'out' part-- then I would consider it. My last (and lasting) memory of this place was parking a long ways away and being stuck on that one road out of there for like 2-hours. Still lots of expensive seats available. Hard to think they won't either drop the prices or offer them as upgrades at the venue.
You need to go.

Pronto.

Do it.
I've done 2 shows already so Scranton would just be the cherry on top of the tour for me. 8)

I'm still keeping an eye on ticket prices, but if nothing changes, I'm probably going to sit it out. :(
syracusekissfan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by syracusekissfan »

I'll be there, doing meet and greet.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Wonder if Michael Scott will be there
kissologistna
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kissologistna »

Crown Royal wrote:Wonder if Michael Scott will be there
No...Farewell meant Farewell to Michael Scott.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

kissologistna wrote:
Crown Royal wrote:Wonder if Michael Scott will be there
No...Farewell meant Farewell to Michael Scott.
The Farewell Tour?
dirtyharry74
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by dirtyharry74 »

I am from Scranton but do not live there now.

The only tour I saw on FAREWELL TOUR 2000 was in Scranton. Have not been a concert there since.

Though I was in town last weekend to see my mom and go see the Scranton Railriders (AAA) play.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

I have 13th row center, section 102, row M for sale. Flat $175. I bumped up to 5th row. I can meet on site. Also have section 203, row M, kind of near where Paul flies out. Paid $100, yours for $75. Let me know....
ace's yamaka
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace's yamaka »

I will be there. I need to hear for myself how much the voice has actually improved.
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty971 »

Time to party!!!
Attachments
tumblr_mktnqu54FV1s9ney2o1_500.gif
sunday driver
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by sunday driver »

I ran my first 5K this morning. I'm ready for some tailgating and Kiss.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

ace's yamaka wrote:I will be there. I need to hear for myself how much the voice has actually improved.
I saw the show last Saturday and it has improved
Much better than the last 3 tours
Not exactly Dio , but better :D
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty971 »

sunday driver wrote:I ran my first 5K this morning. I'm ready for some tailgating and Kiss.
Congrats my friend! See you at 4! Any other FAQers are welcome to meet up with us. The weather is perfect here today. Let's enjoy this. They won't be around forever.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

Well, they didn't drop the prices and there's still lots of good seats available so there's probably gonna be some great upgrades available at the venue tonight. Keep an eye out if you're going! 8)
Deleted User 6104

Post by Deleted User 6104 »

Next song is: dr love
Deleted User 6104

Detroit
pete1699
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pete1699 »

HotelDiplomat wrote:Detroit
I lifted my son up and tommy gave him a guitar pick during rock and roll all night! Unreal!!
Deleted User 6104

pete1699 wrote:
HotelDiplomat wrote:Detroit
I lifted my son up and tommy gave him a guitar pick during rock and roll all night! Unreal!!
Very cool!
sunday driver
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by sunday driver »

Here is my review of the Scranton show for those interested. It's only my opinion of the show, nothing more. I've been to about 30 shows since 1986, and while I prefer the original line up to any other, I've supported every line up and have gone to at least one show on every tour since the reunion/farewell. I go to about 50 total concerts a year, but Kiss is and always will be my favorite band.
There was actually a big group of us going to this show and we planned on getting there early to tailgate. Scotty971 was with us along with Mrs. Sunday Driver, a woman who I took to her first Kiss show 24 years ago, her husband, and a variety of other friends. We got there around 4:30 and the first lot was already fairly full with people tailgating. The first thing that surprised me while walking around the parking lot was the amount of Kiss fans. The whole point to a co-headline show is that the other headliner is there to bring in more fans. Sure, there were people here and there with Def Leppard shirts, but the overwhelming majority of the people were there for Kiss. Maybe some of them came out to catch another show because they also got to see DL on the bill, but I got the sense that the size of the crowd would not have been that much different had it just been Kiss with a longer set and a lesser known opening act.
We didn't party all that hard in the parking lot, but we had a great time catching up and sharing old stories. We didn't really have a strong desire to see Dead Daisies, so we started heading in a little after 7 to make sure we were at our seats for DL. The place was packed. I was skeptical about this going in because I was continuing to look at unsold seats heading into the show for upgrade purposes. Our seats were at the back of the pavilion, but we just had too many people in our group to attempt to organize an upgrade. Anyway, there weren't any empty seats, so they either got a huge walk up of people willing to pay the high ticket prices, or they did a lot of upgrading from the lawn. The lawn was packed, too, so if they upgraded people, they also ended up selling a huge walk up for lawn seats.
I had never seen DL before, so I was kind of curious about what they would sound like. All I had heard were stories about Joe's vocal problems. It turns out he certainly is no longer the singer he was back in the 80's and 90's, but he wasn't awful. There were a couple of parts he conveniently let the crowd sing, but otherwise he sounded fine. The music was dead on. No problems there. They ran through their typical set of mostly hits, and it was a very enjoyable show. I was never the biggest fan of DL, especially for anything after Pyromania, but since I did have a pulse and a working radio in those years, I still knew every song. The weirdest thing was seeing Vivian Campbell without hair. That just didn't look right, but thankfully he's still out there playing.
Ok, so on to Kiss. The large Kiss curtain was in front of the stage. The humming started and the voice comes on. "Alright, Scranton....." It's one of those moments, like a lot of them in the show, that everyone knows is coming, most have seen/heard many times, but still gets you up and out of your seat screaming with fist in the air. Like the other shows, they opened with Psycho Circus. I actually like the song and it works as an opener. I would certainly rather hear Creatures, I Stole Your Love, or even Unholy open the show, but I'm ok with PC. They did not come down on the spider, so either it's still not working correctly, or the venue was just too small for them to do that. From there they go into Deuce, which sounded fantastic. Everyone is standing and screaming the lyrics, as they did for PC and they do for every song after. One thing became apparent already during Deuce. The band sounds significantly better with Gene singing. It's not even close. I have been reading some of the reviews here that were saying how much improved Paul's vocals are. I haven't watched anything on Youtube, so this was the first time I heard his voice on this tour. Maybe he was just having a bad night because it was the second night of a back to back, but his vocals were actually a little worse than the last time I saw them (Motley Crue tour). Now his vocals aren't so bad that it ruins the show, but they aren't great, and I'm not sure they are even good any more. Despite that, he still talks and screams in between songs, and his voice doesn't even sound right doing that.
Kiss went through the rest of their typical set and typical show. The crowd absolutely loved it. We had a great time screaming every word to every song they played. I thought Eric played one of the best shows I've ever seen him play. Tommy was ok, but surprisingly a little sloppy. I'm used to him being part of the show at this point, and as much as I don't really care for his copying of Ace, the one thing I thought I could always count on was the guitar riffs and solos being perfect. That wasn't the case last night. It wasn't anything a casual fan would probably notice, but his playing was just a little bit off for some reason. It's difficult to put a finger on what exactly it was. It really wasn't bad notes, it was more running notes together instead of playing them clean, which is odd for him, at least from what I have seen over the years. I'm also surprised at how much influence the Vinnie years still have on this band. They played two songs from Creatures, one from LIU and the Vinnie era ending to Black Diamond. That's 4 out of 14 songs in the set. That's a pretty high percentage for an era of the band that didn't last much more than 2 out of 40 years.
The bottom line to all of this is that we all had a great time partying and hanging out with new and old friends, and we got to scream the lyrics to songs by our favorite band for almost 90 minutes. Paul's voice isn't what it used to be. We know that. It's not Ace and Peter up there in the make up. We know that, too. We also know everything that's going to happen in the show before it happens. We know when Gene's going to breathe fire. We know when he's going to spit blood. We know Paul's going to fly into the crowd for Love Gun. We know the drum riser is going up for Black Diamond. We know they are going to use a shit load of pyro. We know the stage is going to look like World War 3 during Rock And Roll All Nite. There are a surprising amount of people in the crowd that don't know this stuff, though. I was shocked at how many people said it was their first Kiss show. For all of us here, it's basically the same show we've seen for the last 13 years. For the newbies, it's exactly what they want and expect. That seems to be the coalition of fans that Kiss has right now to be able to still play larger venues. They have the die-hards that have been around forever that still just want to go see their favorite band regardless of the staleness of the set lists and show, and they also have the people that have never seen the show that are anxious to see the stale set list and exact same show we've been seeing for years. Either way it's a great time for everyone involved and it's why I keep going to see them. They are still my favorite band.
CominHome
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CominHome »

Thanks SD