7/26/14 - Holmdel, NJ

kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: 7/26/14 - Holmdel, NJ

Post by kissthat »

nibbler1982 wrote:I'm sorry...upon closer inspection...this place looks about 40% full.

Oh well, there's always theaters and rock clubs to play.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BUT, you had some upgrades :lol:
Evo999
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Evo999 »

It's hard to beleive that there were people predicting this tour would bomb and that the MC tour would kill it. Looks like they know fuck all. I love it. Both tours are doing well. That's a good thing.
Last edited by Evo999 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Lefty
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by J-Lefty »

If it ain't sold out its real close. Can't wait to see Ace with 150 other people this fall. KiSS is doomed
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Boris still ain't working.
savsongs
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by savsongs »

JUST GOT HOME FROM THE SHOW! PACKED TO THE T AND KILLER!!! BOTH BANDS SOUNDED GREAT...PAUL WAS HAVING A BLAST! NO SPIDER ENTERANCE AND GENE FLYING BUT STILL AWESOME!!! i HAVE NO COMPAINTS!!!
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

Great show tonight. #132 for me, more to come! Pics and vid to follow....
cbv20
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by cbv20 »

Sounds like you people and many more had a blast, which is what matters. Def Leppard and KISS, you can't go wrong with this show. The critics can wait outside.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Took a leak during "Pour Some Sugar On Me"...snapped a pic of the pavilion on the way back to my seat.

Even more full when KISS took the stage.
Attachments
image.jpg
Ace's Silver Suit

Post by Ace's Silver Suit »

A good New Jersey rock 'n' roll night, for sure! A packed, multigenerational house, and a fairly loud one at that. Def Leppard was good - a band firing on all four cylinders - either the mix, tuning, or both are helping Joe Elliot - he sounded fine for the most part. Lotsa hits, and you almost feel bad that band that this band isn't bigger - you get the feeling they should be.

As for KISS, we were up front, pretty much against the stage barrier - "we" being the my 10-year old daughter and myself (she's the one in the Lick It Up shirt on KOL). Interestingly, the way the venue is, hearing things clearly was a little tough in our spot. Playing wise, the group have claimed another one of their own grooves right now - they don't sound classic, but have something of their own thing going on - Eric is throwing a little double bass in here and there to beef up things, for example. They have a somewhat "loose tightness" going on.

What else?

1) Paul amazed me - well, vocally, it seemed he started out pretty good, but wore out a few songs in - the basic state of affairs, I guess. BUT ... on the performing side, he was excellent - this guy is on a very youthful tear right now, and it's awesome. He handed my daughter a pick, which as a big fan, was super cool. He danced, he pranced, and in certain lighting, looked pretty darn '70s sometimes. Very impressive outing from Paul.

2) Gene didn't venture to our side at all! The venue's stage is a little odd, so that might have had something to do with it. He was also "on," though - really into it, all the way through. Much like the Sonic Boom tour (the last I saw), he seems to have taken a slight back seat to Paul. He looked and sounded good.

3) Tommy - this guy was solid tonight ... he gave my daughter a drum stick, that he pulled out of his boot! That white guitar rules.

4) Eric - he continues to have the loudest mic! This guy is carrying the backups, big time. His playing was good, except that he dropped the tempo in "I Love It Loud."

The set list is cleverly designed for pacing and Paul's vox - his big vocal rest numbers are "Calling Dr. Love" and "War Machine." But, this causes sort of a lag - along with "Hotter Than Hell," which I thought sounded fine, the audience's excitement seemed to dip.

The show is totally cutting edge technology, cue heavy, and super slick. I am a hardcore '70's guy, but Peter could never follow all the cues, etc. now. There is a LOT going on - and man, what pyro.

I wanted the Love Gun shirt, but didn't buy it.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

The show was great (as expected)! I had forgotten that Gene doesn't fly at PNC. The Spider mostly hung dead, but he was technically there.

I made the jumbotron when Paul said we were beautiful. :oops:

I sat next to a older lady who came with her daughter. It was her first KISS show. I asked her after "Black Diamond" how she felt about it, and she gave me two big thumbs up. She looked like a little kid at the end of RARAN taking in all of the mayhem (risers, bombs, fireworks, breaking guitars, etc.). She reaffirmed to me how much she enjoyed it after that.

The final couple of minutes of the show truly is amazing. At this point, I'm often getting a head start getting to my car, but tonight I watched it all. A lot of us get used to all this stuff having seen them so many times, but if you watch RARAN through to the final "goodnight!" and try seeing it through the eyes of someone seeing this for the very first time, it's pretty mind-blowing. All your senses are just overwhelmed. No wonder why the casual fans keep coming back. KISS leaves everyone smiling in the end even if they didn't know all the songs.

Anyhow, it was a fun night. Glad I got a last minute ticket. 8)
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

Here's a few pictures from last nights show. I apologize for the quality, as they were taken via phone.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

...and just a few more
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

Had a terrific time last night.
Last edited by LoveGuns on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

Evo999 wrote:It's hard to beleive that there were people predicting this tour would bomb and that the MC tour would kill it. Looks like they know fuck all. I love it. Both tours are doing well. That's a good thing.
Who predicted it would bomb?

It's great the tour is doing fine, but let's be real, Kiss AND Def Leppard (I think some people here still forget it's not just Kiss's show) couldn't sell all mere 7000 seats at this small place, and instead there were thousands in the dirt who didn't feel Kiss and Def Lep together was worth paying for an actual seat. This, in a place at one time both bands on their own would have sold out in a flash.

And like I said prior, it's not even about different Kiss lineups anymore, this lineup has been around forever so they are being compared against themselves. I saw them sell out the Garden in 2009, MSG packed to the rafters, and now they, and Def Leppard, can't get 7000 people to buy a seat in Jersey. Jones Beach (a place Kiss played two nights in 2000) seems to be going better now.

I'm glad people are indeed buying the cheaper tix to stand in the dirt. But let's make no mistake - this tour, even if the bands sell out every show, is no great shakes for two supposedly legendary bands.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

redinthesky wrote:
Evo999 wrote:It's hard to beleive that there were people predicting this tour would bomb and that the MC tour would kill it. Looks like they know fuck all. I love it. Both tours are doing well. That's a good thing.
you have got to be kidding??? :lol:

"40%"
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

Crown Royal wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

"40%"

40%?
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

redinthesky wrote:

It's great the tour is doing fine, but let's be real, Kiss AND Def Leppard (I think some people here still forget it's not just Kiss's show) couldn't sell all mere 7000 seats at this small place, and instead there were thousands in the dirt who didn't feel Kiss and Def Lep together was worth paying for an actual seat. This, in a place at one time both bands on their own would have sold out in a flash.

And like I said prior, it's not even about different Kiss lineups anymore, this lineup has been around forever so they are being compared against themselves. I saw them sell out the Garden in 2009, MSG packed to the rafters, and now they, and Def Leppard, can't get 7000 people to buy a seat in Jersey. Jones Beach (a place Kiss played two nights in 2000) seems to be going better now.

I'm glad people are indeed buying the cheaper tix to stand in the dirt. But let's make no mistake - this tour, even if the bands sell out every show, is no great shakes for two supposedly legendary bands.
I may be wrong , But for some reason I seem to remember you being the main cheerleader for this tour to fail !
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

kissjrj wrote:
Crown Royal wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

"40%"

40%?
Red predicted right before the tour started that it would average 40% tickets sold each night.

He is back-pedaling now, and will soon deny he ever made the comment.
Muroh
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Muroh »

Had a great time last night. My friends that had never seen KISS before said it was probably the best concert they have ever seen. Disappointed the spider wasn't moving but I remembered Gene not flyng last time I saw them in Holmdel (2004). It will be tough waiting all week for Atlantic City next Saturday.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

redinthesky wrote:

There might valid argument in your post but I only read FORTY PERCENT of it.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

redinthesky wrote:

Do you read this board.? There is a search function. Either that or your memory is impaired. :D

Nice movement of goalposts however - Compare it to the Farewell Tour 14 years ago.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

redinthesky wrote:

Aerosmith played Jones Beach 3 times in 2001 , just a few weeks ago they were selling $20 tickets to fill it up with the same line up, what's your point ?
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

kissthat wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

Aerosmith played Jones Beach 3 times in 2001 , just a few weeks ago they were selling $20 tickets to fill it up with the same line up, what's your point ?
My point is, this tour's attendance is no big victory. It's good, it's where it should probably be all things considering. Aerosmith, never liked 'em, although I'm surprised they are actually doing ok at a few shows this tour (Forum almost is sold out even, again I'm surprised). I honestly thought Kiss were the bigger band now, maybe they are, I haven't checked many shows for Aerosmith.
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

Are there any NJ media/news sites reporting/reviewing this show? If so, please post a link.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

AJ wrote:Are there any NJ media/news sites reporting/reviewing this show? If so, please post a link.

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2014/07/27/k ... ts-center/
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

kissjrj wrote:
AJ wrote:Are there any NJ media/news sites reporting/reviewing this show? If so, please post a link.

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2014/07/27/k ... ts-center/
Thanks for sharing
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

redinthesky wrote:

:roll:
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

redinthesky wrote:
kissthat wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

My point is, this tour's attendance is no big victory. It's good, it's where it should probably be all things considering. Aerosmith, never liked 'em, although I'm surprised they are actually doing ok at a few shows this tour (Forum almost is sold out even, again I'm surprised). I honestly thought Kiss were the bigger band now, maybe they are, I haven't checked many shows for Aerosmith.
Who said it's a victory?

Most of the seats are sold. Nobody sees much evidence of papering, other than the usual upgrades. Def Leppard is a great match and the shows are doing well.

Multiple posts were made by you saying how bad this tour was going to do, particularly compared to the Motley Crue FAREWELL TOUR. Why not just say, "Wow, the tour did better then I thought it would?" What's the big deal?

You weren't the only one, and some were even more negative. I'll admit I was wrong, it's actually doing better than I though it would and while Kiss is clearly the headliner, I think Def Leppard is bring a lot to this double bill and it's a good pairing.

See, it's not that hard. :D
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

You guys crack me up. I've been hearing "KISS is doomed and over " since 1990. You guys will still be saying this in 2016 when KISS go on yet another tour.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

I know it was mentioned that Gene doesn't fly at PNC. That's not true. I was at the show in 2010 and he flew. For confirmation, I referred to the wonderful YouTube. I wasn't at the PNc show in 2012 though. Maybe he just hasn't flown the past two times.

Deleted User 6907

Post by Deleted User 6907 »

no complaints here.... the tour is doing great business and fans seem happy .... besides the usual set list complaints of course ;) .... i think the tour has been a win win for everyone for the 1st 21 shows of the tour.

best thing about the tour is both bands really seem to be getting along and appreciate what each brings to the table....
Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese »

Forevertj wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

Now THAT'S funny stuff he's selling!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Philly Cheese wrote:
Forevertj wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

Now THAT'S funny stuff he's selling!
Funny's not even the word. Personally I really do enjoy the back peddling much more than an admission of guilt, this is much more satisfying.
izzykissfan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by izzykissfan »

Drove all the way from Montreal to see this show and loved it, of course. Brought my father for his first KISS show. Coming from musical backgrounds we couldn't help but notice that it seemed like a very pro def leopard crowd (at least where we were sitting)...did anyone else feel it was a tough crowd for KISS?

On a cooler note, when leaving in a cab after the show the band drove by us in 4-5 jeeps/escalades in their robes with towels on their heads (as per usual), escorted quickly by police.

Lastly, it was PACKED last night. Definitely near sold out by eye.
izzykissfan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by izzykissfan »

ALSO...Paul was sounding pretty good. Good start to the show, he began to get a bit vocally tired around 2-4 songs in, but he ended well. I think all present last night can agree that he KILLED that intro to L.I.U...sounded great!
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

izzykissfan wrote:ALSO...Paul was sounding pretty good. Good start to the show, he began to get a bit vocally tired around 2-4 songs in, but he ended well. I think all present last night can agree that he KILLED that intro to L.I.U...sounded great!
I noticed that too and thought "did he just get recorded help?" It actually sounded perfect as though it was the intro from Alive III.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

RockBrigade wrote:no complaints here.... the tour is doing great business and fans seem happy .... besides the usual set list complaints of course ;) .... i think the tour has been a win win for everyone for the 1st 21 shows of the tour.

best thing about the tour is both bands really seem to be getting along and appreciate what each brings to the table....
I have to agree... best co-headlining pair Kiss has done and normally I am not a fan of these packages. For some reason it really works. I noticed a mutual admiration between the fans in Tampa. Something I didn't see during Kiss' run with Aerosmith. The mudslinging between the fans was ridiculous then. Which was too bad because I really like Aerosmith in addition to Kiss. I didn't see The Tour with Crue, but I heard that was more of the same. Def Leppard I thought was great... plus Joe Elliot doing the Kiss intro the other night.... how f'n cool was that???