Prattish Pontificator

7/25/14 - Bristow, VA

Post by Admin »

Bristow, VA
Jiffy Lube Live
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Kobra and the Lotus
Reported audience: TBD / 25,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
Diss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: 7/25/14 - Bristow, VA

Post by Diss »

As with other shows, looks like they've just released a lot of tickets, many up close. I was waffling about whether or not to go, but just got 11th row center, so should be fun.
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

I will be there. Can't wait!!
OmniScott
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by OmniScott »

Long time lurker and I barely post but I'll be there! 3rd show and looking forward to seeing my way of life back on stage again!
syracusekissfan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by syracusekissfan »

Show #1 of 4 for me, then Atlantic City, Scranton (Meet and Greet) and Darien Lake.
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

It's KISSmas Eve! Ready to go see the show tomorrow. Taking my gf to her first KISS show. Can't wait to see her reaction.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

25,000?
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

kissjrj wrote:25,000?
Yeah, it's one of the bigger ones on the Live Nation run.

Xfinty in Hartford holds 30,000. :shock:
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

My recollection was that The Tour did pretty well here.
rlivo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rlivo »

mrdeuce wrote:My recollection was that The Tour did pretty well here.
It did...and I was there for that. As much as I hate sheds, I'll be there with a buddy...13th row in Orchestra 2 (RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE FRONT SECTION!).

I prefer Def Leppard to Motley...so I'm looking forward to this show much more than The Tour.

And yeah...this is place is HUGE....the pavilion itself holds 10,000 alone. The lawn an additional 15,000.

I'll have a full report either after the show or sometime over the weekend.

ROCK ON!
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

Think I'm 2 rows back of you , but in Orch. 3 (Gene's side). I like Lep quite a bit, too, so this should be a good show.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

I will be there....9 show run starts tonight.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Def Leppard, Heart Jiffy Lube Live
Bristow, Va.
July 31, 2011
$399,949
8,500 /
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Ren5150 wrote:I will be there....9 show run starts tonight.
I bow to you, sir. :)
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Ren5150 wrote:I will be there....9 show run starts tonight.
God bless...salute.
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

Tommy Thayer: "Just landed at Washington Dulles, heading to Bristow. Gonna be ROCKIN' tonight"
Source: http://www.twitter.com/tommy_thayer
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

They're making everybody throw out the bottle caps on your bottled water as you pass through the gates. Weird. "Band request" they say.

Should have smuggled an extra cap in my pocket.
Ready for the show!
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

mrdeuce wrote:They're making everybody throw out the bottle caps on your bottled water as you pass through the gates. Weird. "Band request" they say.

Ready for the show!
Which band?
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

mrdeuce wrote:They're making everybody throw out the bottle caps on your bottled water as you pass through the gates. Weird. "Band request" they say.

Ready for the show!
I L-O-V-E the extra cap idea!!!

It's so simple yet I would've NEVER thought of it!!!

If I only knew this Wednesday...it would've saved me the agita of almost caving someone's face in at Queen in Jersey the other night!
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

They wouldn't specify which band hates plastic bottle caps. Looks like they are making anybody w/a beer can pour them into plastic cups before entering the reserved seating area.

Can confirm - Lotus and the somethings are worth missing.
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

Def Lep about to go on...
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

The spider is stuck on stage. They came down on it, but it won't go back up. They haven't stopped playing though. SIOL now.
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

mrdeuce wrote:The spider is stuck on stage. They came down on it, but it won't go back up. They haven't stopped playing though. SIOL now.
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

And then what happened :?:
rlivo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rlivo »

SPINAL TAP IN BRISTOW.

Fuck. This sucked.

The band descended during Psycho Circus...(which I still contend needs to go bye bye an return KOtNTW)...but Mr. Spidey got stuck on stage. Much to the chagrin of Paul especially...they played the set through the end of HTH...and then Paul told the crowd that they needed to step off the stage for "safety issues". The spider then ascended with no incident...very smoothly.

Blah....anyway...I have to say...that really put a damper on the 'vibe' of the show start. It just felt flat because of it - and then there were numerous sound issues as well during the first three or four songs. Tommy's guitar cut out really badly during the solo for Deuce....

Mind you...this is coming off a very good sounding Def Lep set (and I don't care what ANYONE says...there is some serious technological enhancements to the Leps....). Great band still...great set...easily the best band I've ever seen KISS play with besides Aerosmith. Their was something very joyous and boisterous to their set also. And the crowd loved them.

KISS - despite the issues in the beginning, came around and was delivering....but I couldn't help but still feel the effects of the less than stellar start. Maybe I'm just too hard on them...but I've seen them so many times, that when they are ON, they are ON...and when they are middle of the road...well...I know it. I would say that despite rallying after the spider incident, I've seen them in much better spirits....

Performance wise...same story...consistent Gene, Eric very very good, Thayer solid, and Paul decent. I don't understand Paul Stanley's voice - it's like an anomoly (wink: ace frehley)...there are moments in the show where I hear more pliability and range than I have in a while...but there are others where he sounds not good.

I think out of the entire band, spidey threw Paul off the most - you could tell he was NOT happy and it stuck with him throughout the performance.

I'm going to see them again in CT on August 10th...I'm hoping to see a show minus the technical errors.

oh - attendance - I would say around 15-16K. I'm basing that on general estimate of the pavilion sales day of this am and that they were doing lawn upgrades for 10 bucks. The lawn got pretty packed for sure....even with the folks upgrading to pavilion. Who knows...maybe there will be official numbers in a show report.

Any questions...let me know.
asamphord

Post by asamphord »

so was the spider operational after it went back up? did they ride on it during Lick It Up? did Gene fly to the top for GOT? Did it do all the pyro and stuff?
OmniScott
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by OmniScott »

After it went back up it stayed there so no Lick It Up awesomeness. But Gene still did fly up for God of Thunder and it shot pyro. Also Eric's drum riser was stuck all the way at the top until about 3/4 through Psycho Circus.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

Show #131 for me. Spider getting stuck was a classic. Gene and Paul had to work their way around the legs to get to the mics and it was a mess. All kinds of glitches tonight. Tommy's guitar dropped out a bunch, Paul's "Love Gun" flying out rap mic tanked and he slammed it to the stage. But, it's a KISS show and it is still better than anything else. Lep were great. Skipped the opener, was busy showing my son the resurgence of the mullet in the crowd.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

Some pics from tonight. Video to follow...

Robdaddy
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Robdaddy »

You know who's DOOMED?

You guessed it...

...the roadies and other assorted crew members. You just know they got torn to shreds during and (especially) after the show.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

F8X8fJKua-8&list=UUViz_viMAG81BzzNRCTNKJg

Tested a new camera, picture is good, audio blows. Hate testing new toys at shows but it is what it is......Spider down!
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

Robdaddy wrote:You know who's DOOMED?

You guessed it...

...the roadies and other assorted crew members. You just know they got torn to shreds during and (especially) after the show.
Yeah, I wish I was a fly on the wall to hear the ass reaming they got. It was still a great show, though. This was the first time I've seen them have technical issues like that, and I thought they handled it pretty well. You could tell it had an effect on the early part of the show, in terms of momentum. I thought after they fixed the spider they really kicked it up a notch.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

Ready for the show!
In Tampa we were third row and they made me and my 9 y.o. son pour our $4.50 bottle of water into a large plastic cup. That was bullsh** because basically you had to drink it fairly quick without putting it down.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

You guessed it...

So now the tour and the roadies are doomed??? Awesome. Wish there was another show here in the south. Would love to catch it again. This pairing with Def Lep was maybe a better idea than some of us thought!
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

Thought the show was pretty good. Sure, there were some glitches, but they worked around them pretty well. I've seen glitches completely stop the show before while the band went insane. Paul sounded decent for most of the night. A little sketchy during the high notes of Hide Your Heart, but ok otherwise.

Gf had a blast at the show, and it was nice to have a couple of open seats near us so we could spread out. Def Lepp was great, too. They put on a good show, and people loved it. Joe's voice held up pretty well for the most part, but he struggles on "Photograph" these days.

Got a few good shots I'll post later.
BlairC42
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BlairC42 »

You guessed it...

That's what I was thinking - don't they check the rig before the show making sure it works properly?? :scratch:
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

That's freaking hilarious :P

Tommy even had to walk in front of Paul at the mic to get to his soloing position.

I do think this intro is pretty overrated though. Kiss has to be careful when they "descend" so they are standing virtually still, while playing the same dull "Psycho Circus" riff over and over. Add it all up and while the spider may be nice to look at, Kiss themselves and the music are very dull during this intro.
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

Doomed. :lol:
rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

did they sing Dr Love instead of Cold Gin?
Attachments
setlist.jpg
cobohall76
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by cobohall76 »

The bottle cap thing has to be every location. At the Forum in LA, I bought a 20 oz. coke at the concession stand inside and the woman behind the counter said I had to take the cap off and throw it away before I left. 1st for me...................
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

With regard to bottles or caps...they are dangerous to the band...easy to slip on or throw at Paul when he flies lol
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

cobohall76 wrote:The bottle cap thing has to be every location. At the Forum in LA, I bought a 20 oz. coke at the concession stand inside and the woman behind the counter said I had to take the cap off and throw it away before I left. 1st for me...................
It prevents the bottle from becoming a deadly projectile-- or at least reduces its lethality. Same with pouring beer into cups-- that can of full beer can seriously injure if thrown. This is done for liability mitigation by the venue.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

http://sightofsoundmagazine.com/2014/07 ... lube-live/

The KISS army is arguably one of rock’s most devoted fan bases, thanks to a combination of careful marketing, and an intense live show. The KISS army came out in full force on Friday night to Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA. Decked out in face paint, band t-shirts, and even replica costumes of KISS members themselves, the audience was in for a show that was truly a spectacle to behold. Newly inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, KISS set out on a summer tour for the books with support from none other than the legendary Def Leppard.

The amphitheater at Jiffy Lube Live was packed, and a deafening roar arose when the black curtain shielding the stage from view finally dropped at 9:45 PM, to the opening riff of “Psycho Circus.” KISS plays to the audience like no other, just as one would expect from a band that has come to define rock and roll bravado. Posing for photographers and pointing and waving to fans, the band made the show feel almost intimate, which is rarely a word used to describe a show at one of the largest venues in the area. The stage was dominated by a giant metal spider apparatus which, unfortunately, became stuck during their opening sequence leaving drummer Eric Singer blocked from view until the fifth song, when the band left the stage so that the spider could be rendered operational once more. The giant spider personified rock and roll excess as it dominated the stage and used its mechanical arms to lift band members up and down on small platforms.. As one would expect from seasoned professionals, the band played through the technical difficulties like nothing happened.

After their brief exit from the stage after, “Hotter Than Hell” (during which the demon himself Gene Simmons breathes fire), the show went on. Though Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are 62 and 64 respectively, they played through the 15 song set with fake blood, fire breathing, and even a short flight into the audience on wires without losing a bit of energy or skipping a beat.

If nothing else, KISS proved that no band has to embrace the “aging rocker” archetype after they hit fifty. Gene Simmons still unfurled and flicked his tongue, licking his bass and breaking just as many hearts as ever, while Paul Stanley and Tommy Thayer gyrated their hips and leaped around the stage in platform boots with an impressive balance of grace and…well, balance.
More than anything, the show was fun, and the set list was tastefully chosen. Fifteen songs provided just the amount of time to let loose and enjoy the show without getting bored. The production kept the audience fixated with sparks, fog, and explosions perfectly synchronized to the music. They played a good mix of classics from their extensive discography, and finished off the night with the immortal anthem “Rock and Roll All Nite,” to a roaring audience.

No matter what kind of music you are a fan of, everyone should go to a KISS concert at least once in their lifetime to see rock and roll done the right way.
thafezz
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by thafezz »

Great show, but as mentioned, there were some technical difficulties, such as Tommy's guitar and the Spider not ascending back up. Before Paul's flight out to the middle of the crowd for "Love Gun", where he is asking everyone to yell his name, the wireless microphone he was using started cutting in and out. He threw it across the stage ( bang bang ) and then grabbed one of the standing microphones and completed his "i'm coming out there to see ya!!" Paul was visibly VERY pissed off.

Overall it was the most memorable show I have ever been to, as I took my young daughter to her first concert ever, which was KISS. She was absolutely blown away by the stage show. She couldn't believe Paul was talking to the crowd (How you doing people? Bristow, are you ready for a rock n roll party? ). She was under the impression that bands just came out and sang, never talking to the crowd. Being that she had never been to a concert before, she had no idea that artists did this. I told her that most artists do chat somewhat with the crowd, but Paul/KISS does more so than most.

I actually video'd her and I singing RNRAN, instead of filming KISS, which is a video I will always look back on with a smile! She has such a good time and she is now a die-hard KISS fan like her old man!

Also.. we were walking up from the entrance of the ampitheatre to our seats, and I literally bumped into one of the KISS photographers, or someone who was with the road crew. Anyway, I apologized and he said, "no problem".. then he said "wait.....here" and handed me a couple of KISS guitar picks. Of course, I actually LOST one of them, somehow, during the show. Must have fallen out of my pocket.

All in all a great show.