Prattish Pontificator

7/23/14 - Tampa, FL

Post by Admin »

Tampa, FL
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheater
Promoter: Live Nation
Other act(s) Def Leppard, Kobra and the Lotus
Reported audience: TBD / 20,000 (MAX)

Plan meet-ups, discuss/review the show, share the setlist, report live from the show!

Setlist will be archived HERE
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: 7/23/14 - Tampa, FL

Post by otisbarr1 »

Only a couple days now! I get so excited when it's show week :D
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

This is gonna be another big one. It should be another near sellout. :D
KF73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by KF73 »

nibbler1982 wrote:This is gonna be another big one. It should be another near sellout. :D
Just checked Ticketbastard... approx. 2408 reserved seats left which is actually not bad because there are 9500 reserved.

The interesting thing here is that lawn seats have been closed off for about 5 days now and many of the reserved seats that were once 70+ dollars have been dropped to $40.00. So either they sold out the 10,000 lawn tix or they just wanted to fill the remaining reserved.

It will still be a solid crowd, but I am erring on the side of needing to fill the reserved seats. Whenever they play indoors at the Forum, they have drawn about 10-12,000 each time (2000, 2003, 2009). I expect about the same combined lawn/reserved this year. Also, figure in mid-week show and crap weather forecast.

That all said, can't wait to take my son to his first Kiss show!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

nibbler1982 wrote:This is gonna be another big one. It should be another near sellout. :D
The Lawn(10,000) appears to only have Resale seats left now, approx 5,000 Shed seats have been sold, so if another seat doesn't sell, it's DAMN good for a week night.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

kissthat wrote:
The Lawn(10,000) appears to only have Resale seats left now, approx 5,000 Shed seats have been sold, so if another seat doesn't sell, it's DAMN good for a week night.
Approx 7,100 have been sold.... see my above post. 2408 left in a 9500 seat pavilion. Like you said, damn good for a week night show. Crap weather forecast too, but I could care less as we are up near the stage!!! :D

I am thinking they ceased lawn sales until the pavilion fills. They have done that several times at this venue.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

KF73 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
Approx 7,100 have been sold.... see my above post. 2408 left in a 9500 seat pavilion. Like you said, damn good for a week night show. Crap weather forecast too, but I could care less as we are up near the stage!!! :D
THANKS, I just guessed looking at the map.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

kissthat wrote:
KF73 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
No problem.... I actually painstakingly counted. Not sure why I really give a sh**, but I was curious! beats the 5500 a night on the Revenge Tour!
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

KF73 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
KF73 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
No problem.... I actually painstakingly counted. Not sure why I really give a sh**, but I was curious! beats the 5500 a night on the Revenge Tour!
Between you and me...I L-O-V-E counting blue dots on a KISS interactive map!!!
mister saint laurent
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mister saint laurent »

Last edited by mister saint laurent on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

Wow... they just released a ton of seats up close for this show.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Connecticut KISS
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Connecticut KISS »

Just saw that. Snatch em up before they're gone. Lucky Floridians!
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

Here's a chance to win tickets to this show

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

mister saint laurent wrote:I will be there. Only my second KISS show. I became a KISS fan the night after the KISS/Motley Crue concert in Tampa in 2012. I had friends that went, it made me curious about KISS, so the next day I checked out some of their stuff and really liked it. Which kinda sucked because it just made me wish I'd gone to the show the day before, but I did finally get to see them live last year in Orlando, which is way closer to me than Tampa.

I figure KISS probably doesn't have many tours left, so I am gonna make the drive out to Tampa. I'm going alone. I do like Def Leppard (at least what I remember from the radio when I was a kid). I'm not expecting to enjoy this show as much as the Orlando show last year since I figure KISS won't play nearly as long, but it will still be fun to see them again.

I'm 31 and most of my friends are in their 20s. None of them give a shit about KISS and they think it's lame that I'm into KISS now.

But strip away the makeup, the gimmicks, the bombs, the blood, etc. and what you've got is some of the catchiest and most well written pop songs I've ever heard. I did not grow up with KISS. I have no emotional attachment to them. While I certainly wouldn't put them on par with The Beatles, I do think the best KISS songs are just as well written and that Paul Stanley doesn't get enough credit for writing some of the best pop songs of the 70s.
Great story! Have a good time at the show.
MrSnackwell
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by MrSnackwell »

Snagged a last-row seat with the possibility of an upgrade through a contact.

What's with this "resale" business? Venues can scalp their own tickets now?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Juggalos tonight! ;)
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

MrSnackwell wrote:Snagged a last-row seat with the possibility of an upgrade through a contact.

What's with this "resale" business? Venues can scalp their own tickets now?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Juggalos tonight! ;)
Those last row seats are far cheaper than those resale lawn seats. :lol: Enjoy yourself Snacky.
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

On the way to the show! Weather looks good!!
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

Opening band on now.
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

def hitting the stage
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

Def over - appetizer was nice, now bring on the main course!!!!
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

Dr love replaces cold
Gin
KF73

Post by KF73 »

Too tired and hot for a full on review.... Great show! Unfortunately HYH went over like a fart in church and was definitely the bathroom break song. Great to hear Dr. Love return.

I was told the lawn was sold out.... So probably close to 17,000 .
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

Great show. It was HOT tonight.
The sound as always left a lot to be desired - just not loud enough due to
Noise level issue in the neighborhoods around this venue.
Dr Love replaced Cold Gin
Now the drive home....
otisbarr1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by otisbarr1 »

KF73 wrote:Too tired and hot for a full on review.... Great show! Unfortunately HYH went over like a fart in church and was definitely the bathroom break song. Great to hear Dr. Love return.

I was told the lawn was sold out.... So probably close to 17,000 .
Funny - HYH went over awesome in the area around me.
AJ
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by AJ »

mister saint laurent
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Last edited by mister saint laurent on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weldon82
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by weldon82 »

No one has posted a set list after the last few shows. I guess the set has not changed ?
mister saint laurent
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

King
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by King »

Everyone sat down during Hide Your Heart..it was very underwhelming following God Of Thunder in the set...if they replaced it it with I Was Made For Lovin You it might work better for them..

Paul choked out singing the ahh ahh ahh..hey hey hey [part at the intro trying to get the tired crowd to sing it..it was a low point.

But then they played Dr. Love..a nice surprise..crowd got back on its feet for that one.

When I get time later I will post a review of the show..
Last edited by King on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KISSed
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by KISSed »

Another Great show as usual. Loved it! The place was packed tight and around us, Very Energetic. :cheers:
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

King wrote:Everyone sat down during Hide Your Heart..it was very underwhelming following God Of Thunder in the set...if they replaced it it with I Was Made For Lovin You it might work better for them..

Paul choked out singing the ahh ahh ahh..hey hey hey [part at the intro trying to get the tired crowd to sing it..it was a low point.

But then they played Dr. Love..a nice surprise..crowd got back on its feet for that one.

When I get time later I will post a review of the show..
The SONG God Of Thunder went over well ...... or Genes' antics before the song ? I'm sorry - - it's just one of the most contrived and boring parts of the show- - for me - - ............................ just can't imagine people getting ( STAYING ) into it.
King
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by King »

I see your point with God Of Thunder..once they got into the middle of the song
KF73

Post by KF73 »

I think it was placement of HYH right after GOT. Also remember the song got off to a bad start when Paul' voice cracked trying to get the crowd to sing a long. Tommy actually had to come to his rescue.
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

Fun show. A guy from LiveNation said it was the biggest crowd he can remember seeing at that venue -- and that was before Leppard had even gone onstage.
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

And yep, HYH blew. HTH was great, though.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

For only having 75 mins both bands really had a nice set list put together. My only gripe with the Kiss set was Psycho Circus as the opener. Heck I wish it wasn't even in the set.
ironhide77
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by ironhide77 »

My third time seeing KISS and it was awesome! I hadn't seen them since 2000 and I was long overdue to catch KISS in action again! I was totally blown away this time around and they sounded great! The other two shows I had been to before were good to go but this one took the cake! I had a seat in the sixth row, dead center from the stage and it was totally worth it! This show was a win/win for me since I'm a big fan of both Def Leppard and KISS! Both bands were amazing! What a great night; a night I'll never forget!
Attachments
041.jpg
GENE003.jpg
PAUL002A.jpg
sagafoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagafoo »

mister saint laurent wrote:I will be there. Only my second KISS show. I became a KISS fan the night after the KISS/Motley Crue concert in Tampa in 2012. I had friends that went, it made me curious about KISS, so the next day I checked out some of their stuff and really liked it. Which kinda sucked because it just made me wish I'd gone to the show the day before, but I did finally get to see them live last year in Orlando, which is way closer to me than Tampa.

I figure KISS probably doesn't have many tours left, so I am gonna make the drive out to Tampa. I'm going alone. I do like Def Leppard (at least what I remember from the radio when I was a kid). I'm not expecting to enjoy this show as much as the Orlando show last year since I figure KISS won't play nearly as long, but it will still be fun to see them again.

I'm 31 and most of my friends are in their 20s. None of them give a shit about KISS and they think it's lame that I'm into KISS now.

But strip away the makeup, the gimmicks, the bombs, the blood, etc. and what you've got is some of the catchiest and most well written pop songs I've ever heard. I did not grow up with KISS. I have no emotional attachment to them. While I certainly wouldn't put them on par with The Beatles, I do think the best KISS songs are just as well written and that Paul Stanley doesn't get enough credit for writing some of the best pop songs of the 70s.
God Bless you!! I am old and jaded KISS fan, and I think their studio albums ARE as good as the Beatles. better, because they rock a little harder.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundchec ... da/2189811

Review: Kiss, Def Leppard embrace rock 'n' roll excess at Tampa's MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre
Jay CridlinJay Cridlin, tbt* Staff Writer
Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:59am

Say this for the Kiss Army plebes who shell out untold fortunes for the right to sit front-row-center: Those glittery, godlike gargoyles try to give 'em every penny’s worth.

Kiss plays to the front of the house like few bands before or since, mercilessly mugging for the cameras, unfurling their bloody, lascivious tongues, wiggling their sequined moneymakers and offering front-row fans tasteful glimpses of chest sweat and buttcheek.

But bands don’t make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame merely by titillating the haves.

"Everybody here deserves a front row seat at some point during the show!” singer-guitarist Paul “Starchild” Stanley squealed during Wednesday’s explosive concert at Tampa’s MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre. And so he gave it to them, gliding out on a wire to a rotating stage in the center of the shed, where he danced beneath a disco ball to the endearingly silly Love Gun.

After 40 years, Kiss is having a moment in 2014. It’s not just that they finally made the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or the cover of Rolling Stone, or this summer’s blockbuster tour with equally epic hair-bangers Def Leppard. Wednesday’s show drew a surprising number of younger fans no doubt seeing Kiss for the first time. “We've been playing here for longer than some of you have been alive here in Tampa,” Stanley reminded the house early on.

And at 62 and 64, respectively, Stanley and the Demon himself, Gene Simmons, don’t seem to care for the roles of dignified elder statesmen.
The unpainted Simmons we see on TV – the unctuous, soulless mogul with an ATM slot where his heart ought to be – still gives it up as the Demon, flicking that legendary licker, bellowing out anthems like the swampy War Machine and the delightfully sleazy Calling Dr. Love, and popping fake blood capsules during a bone-crunchingly heavy bass intro to God of Thunder.

And Stanley, well, he’s still quite the little jumping bean, isn’t he? Flouncing and wagging his fanny in fringe-bedecked platform boots, he never lost an ounce of energy during the concert. From the streamer- and pyro-laden opener Psycho Circus to confetti-clouded closer Rock and Roll All Nite, the sprightly Starchild was our spirit animal, instructing us to live in the moment (“Let's have a night tonight where we don't care about tomorrow. It'll be there,” he promised) but reminding us to say our prayers before bed (“I like to say, ‘God, thank you for giving me this amazing life,’ and I hope you do the same thing”).

And not to minimize the contributions of guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer, but after Simmons and Stanley, the star of Kiss’ show was the stage itself, a gargantuan spiderlike rig that lifted band members up and down on little risers, and a deafening array of fire, sparks and explosions that blasted in perfect synchronicity with the music. Kiss diehards will defend the band’s music until the end of time, but nothing they’ve done would be anywhere near as effective without such spectacular stagecraft. In rock ‘n’ roll, as in fine dining, sometimes it’s all about presentation.

Compared to Kiss’ orgiastic display, Def Leppard kept things relatively simple, even though they’re more than capable of headlining the Amphitheatre in their own right.

Though he called this "one of the hottest gigs we've ever played," singer Joe Elliott held up pretty well for most of their 75-minute set, limiting himself to one change of sweat-soaked blazer and even hitting some of those fist-pumping high notes on encore closer Photograph.

But as (mostly) good as Elliott looked and sounded, Def Leppard’s secret stars were, as always, its sleeveless string section, guitarists Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell and bassist Rick Savage, who spun around Elliott like a heavenly hair-metal chorus, whoa-oh-oh-ing while twiddling out squealing, spiralling, roller-coaster solos. They may have looked like Spinal Tap caricatures of aging '80s excess, but musically? Every song sounded like it could have been pumped in from SiriusXM's Hair Nation.

It was a hit-packed set, one that kept the focus squarely on Def Leppard's robust catalog, from randy buzzsaw boogies like Rocket and Let's Get Rocked to all-time lighter-lifters Love Bites and Bringin' On the Heartbreak. That last one started out acoustic, then exploded into a full-band rock-along, and if there'd been a pole on the Amphitheatre's lawn, all 14,500 of us would've hopped right up on it.

One thread that united both Kiss and Def Leppard on Wednesday: The Who. Def Leppard entered the stage by performing a snippet of Won’t Get Fooled Again, and Kiss riffed on the same song during Lick It Up.

Pretty soon, The Who will embark on a 50th anniversary tour. Fiftieth! God help us all if Demon and Starchild are still spewing blood and swaying from wires 10 years from now, when both are in their 70s.

But if they are, can you even imagine the view from down front?

-- Jay Cridlin, tbt*

[Last modified: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:54am]
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

The archived set list is incorrect. We got Dr Love instead of Cold Gin.