Food Finds

Pretty much any non-KISS or music topic goes here; It's suggested that users avoid opening topics they might be offended by or not want to participate in. Ignorance can be bliss...
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Food Finds

Post by Bruce »

Doesn't have to be exotic at all, in any way, but what new food item -- or brand, thereof -- have you recently discovered? And/or feel like sharing with the rest of us.

I guess I'll start first, with Beyond Meat ...

I will go meatless for long periods. Sometimes, even trying out meat substitutes, like tofu burgers. Most miss the mark -- miserably! But this brand is one of the better ones as it is actually half-decent. Especially with all the fixin's. There's even a faux bloodiness to it thats not over done. The texture earns high marks, and taste-wise, its a pretty fair approximation ...

richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Re: Food Finds

Post by richardsimmons »

Glad you like Beyond products Bruce. I’m a longtime hippie, & I can’t believe how many new, tasty products have come to be in the last decade. It rocks ! ✌️

I will think of something more substantial to post later, but I will say that I have joined the “Costco Cult” since early 2020, & I happily buy dozens of products there.

In the past I always thought people who loved it were nuts… long lines for gasoline… fighting for a parking space. Well, I converted about 1.75 years ago & now I fuckin love it. 😂 My favorite store. A persons just gotta adjust to the layout of their premises.

My cousin & I are both cheap & we did some math problems. I’m obsessed with their gasoline & he’s obsessed with their kombucha. At the rate we each buy those single products… if that was the ONLY THING we each purchased in a full year, we would STILL make up for the membership fee & then save some more money after that. 👍💵

(Annual fee is $60 for TWO card holders.)
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

richardsimmons wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm My cousin & I are both cheap (...)
I, too, am known for my thrift. My father and I used ti try to out-cheap eachother. He nearly always won, so ... I had to give up & concede, in the end. I'm not in on any memberships, but Costco does seem like a goid deal, the way you describe it.
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm
richardsimmons wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm My cousin & I are both cheap (...)
I, too, am known for my thrift. My father and I used ti try to out-cheap eachother. He nearly always won, so ... I had to give up & concede, in the end. I'm not in on any memberships, but Costco does seem like a goid deal, the way you describe it.
That rocks, your old man seems cool! If seriously interested, Ask around to your friends, family, coworkers & see what they say about Costco.

My cousin & I split the membership… so it’s only $30 each per year… & that way, he…& I… & both of our old ladies have access to the deals. 4 for the price of 2 !
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

A few restaurants in my area tried selling the Beyond Meat burgers because they assumed it was new hip thing that would generate sales, but they have all pulled them from their menu because they just weren't selling.

I have yet to try any fake meat product trying to be the real thing that is even close to the real thing. They are just not there yet to get people to continually buy Beyond Meat burgers for example outside of a small demographic.

In some cases, these plant based foods are more unhealthy for you than eating real meat, so it's not always a healthier option outside of any decision to be a vegetarian across the board.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Forget healthy alternative reasoning, meat prices are skyrocketing (from covid, etc.) and restauraunts are definitely going to be pushed towards meat alternatives. Absolutely happening ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/restaurant ... ive-plates
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:10 am Forget healthy alternative reasoning, meat prices are skyrocketing (from covid, etc.) and restauraunts are definitely going to be pushed towards meat alternatives. Absolutely happening ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/restaurant ... ive-plates
It will never be a wide spread thing. It's already failed in tons of restaurants across North America. The comparable taste just isn't there yet and if people are going to spend real money to eat out, they are going to want real meat.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm

There is a new type of meat made from blood cells I think..

OK, I looked it up

https://slate.com/technology/2017/07/th ... -meat.html

This is the paragraph that decided it for me.

FBS, as the name implies, is a byproduct made from the blood of cow fetuses. If a cow coming for slaughter happens to be pregnant, the cow is slaughtered and bled, and then the fetus is removed from its mother and brought into a blood collection room. The fetus, which remains alive during the following process to ensure blood quality, has a needle inserted into its heart. Its blood is then drained until the fetus dies, a death that usually takes about five minutes. This blood is then refined, and the resulting extract is FBS.

NOPE!!!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

To be clear on this: I just found Beyond Meat to be acceptable -- and recommending the product on that basis. I am not trying to persuade anyone to give up meat. I eat pork and poultry, myself, just not often. I'm simply putting it out there as but one example of a so-called "Food Find."

And as I make ready to consume, I find that Aperol Aperitivo makes an excellent apéritif. I heartily recommend it.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

Tried an Impossible Whopper for the first time.

It SORT OF tasted like a real burger, but I liken it to how Jolly Good soda KIND OF tastes like Pepsi.
You can clearly tell it ain't the real thing.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 pm To be clear on this: I just found Beyond Meat to be acceptable -- and recommending the product on that basis. I am not trying to persuade anyone to give up meat. I eat pork and poultry, myself, just not often. I'm simply putting it out there as but one example of a so-called "Food Find."

And as I make ready to consume, I find that Aperol Aperitivo makes an excellent apéritif. I heartily recommend it.
I appreciate the Beyond Meat recommendation and hope to try it someday thanks.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

Real meat tastes like real meat so I see no reason to try to find a substitute. But you do you.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Gentlemen!! This is not the meat substitute thread! Have you guys come across a new food item, meat or otherwise, or a better brand of grub of some kind, somewhere, or anything like that?
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

These Costco brand cold brew cans rock. This product is delicious & it seriously does the job! It states that it is equivalent to 2.3 cups of coffee.

The pack is maybe $12.99 ...plus tax & Redemption Value it comes out to $1.22 per can.
kirkland-cold-brew-2-17-costco-1581906505-1581906505.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frigoria
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Frigoria »

This was a recent Bargain Market find. $2.99 for 8 oz(227 grams). Made in Japan. Bought 3 pounds. Blend it into my coffee, cook steaks and eggs in it. It's amazing. It's all gone from the store now. I use a lot of butter, eating mostly an animal based diet(zero to low carbs), so I'm down to my last brick. Will miss it.

From manufacturers website:
We smoked Butter!
It is a rare smoked butter product. In a usual smoke method, butter will melt. In a special method that we use, we successfully made this smoked butter without melting.
We used apple tree tip and peat.
It is individually packaged, so you can use it in a sanitary manner.
It is simply packaged, so you can use it easily.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Prepared Pantry: Italian Herb and Garlic Focaccia Bread Mix is cheap ... and filling ...