N.American Monster #26 - Orlando, 8/16/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #26 - Orlando, 8/16/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: N.American Monster #26 - Orlando, 8/16/13

Post by kissthat »

Can't embed yet.

Last edited by kissthat on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

Looking forward to it. 8)
KISSForever07
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSForever07 »

Question:

Just upgraded to a better seat on the floor: Section F5, last row in the back, first seat on the end towards the area on the seating chart that I am assuming holds Paul's stage and the soundbooth. Will I be in good range to get some shots of Paul from there?
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

KISSForever07 wrote:Question:

Just upgraded to a better seat on the floor: Section F5, last row in the back, first seat on the end towards the area on the seating chart that I am assuming holds Paul's stage and the soundbooth. Will I be in good range to get some shots of Paul from there?
Paul's stage is right in front of the soundboard.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

Heaven's on Fire out for Right Here Right Now (only performance of the year), just a guess.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Anomaly wrote:Heaven's on Fire out for Right Here Right Now (only performance of the year), just a guess.
If they don't play it tonight, they never will. Are they supposed to perform at the game tomorrow ?
scottkfan1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by scottkfan1 »

kiss tonight from facebook
Attachments
1146588_623218501032055_907620509_n.jpg
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

This is the part where people start updating.
MyDarkSide
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MyDarkSide »

Is that place as tiny as it looks in that pic?
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

I think its 15,500 for a end stage concert
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

turnout tonight looks to be in the 10,000 range according to my friend who went to the show. Upper deck was very sparse
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

scottkfan1 wrote:turnout tonight looks to be in the 10,000 range according to my friend who went to the show. Upper deck was very sparse
I had checked ticketbastard a few times in the past month. This show was selling very poorly. If 10,000 attended then they did o.k.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

Photo Credit: Elaine Guadalupe @scubagrlb4u2000
Attachments
1172318_623275597693012_1673609976_o.jpg
dursin
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by dursin »

Just got back. Great show. Paul sounded pretty good. Setlist unchanged. Originally had crappy upper deck seats but upgraded there to club level and really enjoyed the seats there. 10,000 seems like a fairly accurate estimate. I was watching Ticketmaster as well and the show hadn't been selling, but that's because they were bundling and forcing people to buy an Arenabowl ticket if they wanted a decent Kiss ticket. Also, the bundles were only through Ticketmaster so you couldn't walk up to the Amway Center box office and buy a good seat. They remove that restriction this past Monday and looks to have helped ticket sales noticeably. Had they done that from the beginning, they may have had a chance to sell it out.
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

dursin wrote:Just got back. Great show. Paul sounded pretty good. Setlist unchanged. Originally had crappy upper deck seats but upgraded there to club level and really enjoyed the seats there. 10,000 seems like a fairly accurate estimate. I was watching Ticketmaster as well and the show hadn't been selling, but that's because they were bundling and forcing people to buy an Arenabowl ticket if they wanted a decent Kiss ticket. Also, the bundles were only through Ticketmaster so you couldn't walk up to the Amway Center box office and buy a good seat. They remove that restriction this past Monday and looks to have helped ticket sales noticeably. Had they done that from the beginning, they may have had a chance to sell it out.
Great that you had a good time.

That ticket bundling was a mistake. Ticketbastard should have sold the KISS tickets as usual and had an optional choice of KISS ticket + Arena Football ticket at a special price.
dursin

Post by dursin »

metallian wrote:
dursin wrote:Just got back. Great show. Paul sounded pretty good. Setlist unchanged. Originally had crappy upper deck seats but upgraded there to club level and really enjoyed the seats there. 10,000 seems like a fairly accurate estimate. I was watching Ticketmaster as well and the show hadn't been selling, but that's because they were bundling and forcing people to buy an Arenabowl ticket if they wanted a decent Kiss ticket. Also, the bundles were only through Ticketmaster so you couldn't walk up to the Amway Center box office and buy a good seat. They remove that restriction this past Monday and looks to have helped ticket sales noticeably. Had they done that from the beginning, they may have had a chance to sell it out.

That ticket bundling was a mistake. Ticketbastard should have sold the KISS tickets as usual and had an optional choice of KISS ticket + Arena Football ticket at a special price.
Agree. They should have sold the Kiss tickets individually any maybe had a deal where you got a discount for buying both tickets. Was really stupid the way they did it and I'm sure it cost them. I HATE Ticketmaster. Always drive out to the venue when I can. Last summer I was even tempted to drive out to Tampa to buy my Kiss tickets, but my GF bought them for us before I had the chance. I'd rather burn $20 in gas than give that $20 to Ticketmaster.
KISSForever07
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KISSForever07 »

This was my 3rd time seeing KISS, and I enjoyed the show immensely! Granted, Ticketmaster sold me a seat on the floor in a row that did not exist and the supervisor there managed to put me in a seat where I was unable to see most of the stage setting, with the exception of Gene flying and Paul flying, which I was right next to. That situation ended up pissing me off for the rest of the night and I remained sitting for a good chunk of the show. Paul sounded good. I have to say MVP was Gene. From what I unfortunately had to see from the jumbotrons, he was the most active tonight. REALLY pissed that I didn't get to see his blood/bass routine and the fire breathing. That whole ordeal pretty much ruined everything for me. A highlight also was seeing Shannon and Sophie by the sound booth.
dursin

Post by dursin »

MyDarkSide wrote:Is that place as tiny as it looks in that pic?
Actually 16,486 for an end stage concert. It's a very nice place....2nd newest NBA arena in the country.
dursin

Post by dursin »

RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertai ... 72078.post

Concert review: KISS at Amway Center

KISS performs in concert at Amway Center in Orlando, Fla. on Friday, August 16, 2013. (Joshua C. Cruey/Orlando Sentinel) (Joshua C. Cruey / Orlando Sentinel / August 16, 2013)

What does it take for a rock band to last 40 years?

Obviously, evolution isn’t required, judging from nearly two hours of blood-spitting, fire-belching, tinnitus-inducing, vintage arena rock by KISS on Friday at Amway Center. The band, in town for the Arena Football League’s ArenaBowl XXVI, still parties like it’s 1976.

Plumes of flame punctuated the opening “Psycho Circus,” an orgy of spotlights, fireworks and explosions faithful to the KISS glory days. Band members arrived atop an enormous illuminated frame that looked like a spider, one of the few things all night not ablaze.

The band’s flame-resistant style hasn’t changed since the Carter administration, though it never made KISS critical darlings. That never mattered to fans in the KISS Army, now a more benign band of warriors, occasionally with kids in tow.

On Friday, the Orlando army was a depleted force, one that barely occupied the upper bowl for the current KISS line-up featuring original members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

The latter pitted sections of the arena against each other in a cheering contest in the first 20 minutes. Pretty early for that tired routine, dude, especially when songs such as “Shout It Out Loud” and “I Love It Loud” were solid.

Thanks to the wonder of face paint, the band’s latest additions – drummer Eric Singer and guitarist Tommy Thayer – slid comfortably, if anonymously, into the mix. The makeup also locks everyone into a helpful time-warp free of wrinkles, sagging jowls and other cosmetic issues of aging rock stars.

As many song titles attest, the band was loud, but there’s no other way to properly experience “Calling Dr. Love,” Detroit Rock City” and other signature anthems. And the music always faces stiff competition from the special effects, which included Stanley flying over the crowd in “Love Gun.”

On the old-school side, there’s still the primal amusement of watching Simmons exhale flames or drool fake blood on that garish costume. It’s one of rock’s iconic gestures, one for the ages, not to be updated or improved.

Same goes for “Rock and Roll All Nite,” the band’s reliable finale since the early days. On Saturday, it was one last chance for the Orlando army to experience a battlefield-worthy haze and the aroma of spent ammunition.

When the smoke cleared, it was obvious that there’s no reason for KISS to change now.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

MONSTER Magnet
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MONSTER Magnet »

Psycho Circus

Shout It Out Loud

Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
I Love It Loud
Hell Or Hallelujah
War Machine
Heaven's on Fire
Calling Dr. Love
Say Yeah
Shock Me / Outta This World
God of Thunder
Lick It Up
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Detroit Rock City
I Was Made For Lovin' You
Rock and Roll All Nite
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I just love that opening! Spider stage + Psycho Circus = 8) 8) 8)

Paul sounded good there. I'm a long time fan that's seen many shows and that is just wicked!
King
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by King »

Paul's voice was decent actually..it wasn't great like the "old days"but he got the job done..he sounded much better than I expected on Love Gun,,a bit shaky on Say Yeah but pulled it off..he was absent from the mic on a few backgrounds. The show was good though. The band musically is tight...Gene seemed to be the most into it.
KISSINWPG
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KISSINWPG »

Oh look in the Psycho Circus video on the video moniter they went back to the Sonic Boom theme when they are coming down.
KISS Unmasked II
Banned

Post by KISS Unmasked II »

MONSTER Magnet wrote:
Yeah, just a lighting rig...
:lol:
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

Had a great time! I had a VIP ticket through Ticketmaster and was eliminated by the size of the stage. It's not a good feeling when you get to the usher and they inform you that your seat no longer exists. :shock: They moved me a section over and they refunded my money. I even got the free VIP t-shirt too! I'd say it worked out well in the end. 8)

10,000 fans feels about right. I had some concerns when I saw how slowly the tickets seemed to be moving, but A LOT more people were there than I would have imagined just going by what I saw about a week ago on TM.

The band seemed to be in great spirits the entire night. The thing I love about seeing the band in recent years is that they really seem to enjoy doing the shows -- especially Paul. He clearly struggles with his singing, but he doesn't let it affect his mood when he can't hit the note he's trying to hit. I've seen him wryly smile a couple of times when he knew that he missed. IMO, I'd rather see that then him looking bothered.

My favorite moment was hearing "Outta This World" live. Tommy really has come a long was from his early awkward Spaceman days back in 2003. Anyhow, the Spider looked awesome. I've been avoiding footage from this tour so when it moved it's legs around while it was hanging above was a pleasant surprise. Especially love how Paul and Tommy utilize it during LIU. The new risers at the end are also a big improvement. All & all, another great KISS show!
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

KISSman24 wrote: The band seemed to be in great spirits the entire night. The thing I love about seeing the band in recent years is that they really seem to enjoy doing the shows -- especially Paul. He clearly struggles with his singing, but he doesn't let it affect his mood when he can't hit the note he's trying to hit. !
I've noticed that, too. The band, at least by the appearances we see, are having a much more enjoyable time on stage than at any other time I can remember seeing them, and my first show was 29 years ago.

As for the Spider, that thing looks awesome. One of the best additions to a KISS stage show in a long, long time.
Paxon
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Paxon »

KISSman24 wrote:
My favorite moment was hearing "Outta This World" live. Tommy really has come a long was from his early awkward Spaceman days back in 2003. Anyhow, the Spider looked awesome. I've been avoiding footage from this tour so when it moved it's legs around while it was hanging above was a pleasant surprise. Especially love how Paul and Tommy utilize it during LIU. The new risers at the end are also a big improvement. All & all, another great KISS show!

Outta This World was one if the highlights to me at the Simpsonville show, too. It really rocks live.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

dursin wrote:
metallian wrote:

Agree. They should have sold the Kiss tickets individually any maybe had a deal where you got a discount for buying both tickets. Was really stupid the way they did it and I'm sure it cost them. I HATE Ticketmaster. Always drive out to the venue when I can. Last summer I was even tempted to drive out to Tampa to buy my Kiss tickets, but my GF bought them for us before I had the chance. I'd rather burn $20 in gas than give that $20 to Ticketmaster.
Hate Ticket Master also, but even with them forcing people to buy an Arena Bowl ticket with their concert tickets(at least until the last couple of days), KISS did as well as their contemporaries have lately. I just can't understand why the reviewer that was complaining about the empty seats for the KISS Army, never mentioned them in his slobbering over RUSH review, when RUSH played in a half filled arena. :lol:

Van Halen, Kool and the Gang
Amway Center Orlando, Fla.
April 12, 2012
$763,981
7,742 / 11,704(tickets put on sale)

Rush
Amway Center,Orlando,Fla.
April 28, 2013
$623,608
7,783 / 10,142(tickets put on sale)
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

kissthat wrote:
dursin wrote:
metallian wrote:

Hate Ticket Master also, but even with them forcing people to buy an Arena Bowl ticket with their concert tickets(at least until the last couple of days), KISS did as well as their contemporaries have lately. I just can't understand why the reviewer that was complaining about the empty seats for the KISS Army, never mentioned them in his slobbering over RUSH review, when RUSH played in a half filled arena. :lol:

April 12, 2012
$763,981

Rush
April 28, 2013
$623,608
I noticed that pot shot about "the KISS Army being depleted" too. It never changes...even 40 years later. It's funny that even the positive aspects of the review were backhanded compliments. You can have your opinion, that's cool...just say "KISS sucks" and I'm okay with that. It's the fact that attendance wouldn't have been brought up in reviews of other bands that stands out. Josh C. Cruey is a douche.
Spirited
Location: In the Ace Avatar Bunker, planning world domination

Post by Spirited »

nibbler1982 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
dursin wrote:
metallian wrote:

April 12, 2012
$763,981

Rush
April 28, 2013
$623,608
I noticed that pot shot about "the KISS Army being depleted" too. It never changes...even 40 years later. It's funny that even the positive aspects of the review were backhanded compliments. You can have your opinion, that's cool...just say "KISS sucks" and I'm okay with that. It's the fact that attendance wouldn't have been brought up in reviews of other bands that stands out. Josh C. Cruey is a douche.
The Kiss army is depleted. Regardless of how much Rush or anyone else sold. The two things are not dependent on each other.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Spirited wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
dursin wrote:
metallian wrote:

April 12, 2012
$763,981

Rush
April 28, 2013
$623,608
The Kiss army is depleted. Regardless of how much Rush or anyone else sold. The two things are not dependent on each other.
That's a matter of opinion. It depends what you want to compare it to...the KISS Army 1977...1985...1992...1996...2005? I'd have no problem accepting a comment like that from you...you'd say it from a point of reference and a knowledge of the situation...and it'd be my pleasure to prove you wrong. Josh C. Cruey is throwing that statement out as a pot shot only. To leave out not so stellar attendance in other reviews and point it out in his report on, "the hottest band in the world" is telling of his motive.

Douche.
Spirited

Post by Spirited »

nibbler1982 wrote:
That's a matter of opinion. It depends what you want to compare it to...the KISS Army 1977...1985...1992...1996...2005? I'd have no problem accepting a comment like that from you...you'd say it from a point of reference and a knowledge of the situation...and it'd be my pleasure to prove you wrong. Josh C. Cruey is throwing that statement out as a pot shot only. To leave out not so stellar attendance in other reviews and point it out in his report on, "the hottest band in the world" is telling of his motive.

Douche.

Prove me wrong. I look forward to it.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

spirited once again for almost 5 years now adding nothing to any conversation but hate and being a troll
nightflight77

Post by nightflight77 »

Spirited wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
kissthat wrote:
dursin wrote:
metallian wrote:

April 12, 2012
$763,981

Rush
April 28, 2013
$623,608
Wrong because these two bands are always brought up to make Kiss Monster sales look band or touring attendance look bad. You are wrong on this one brother.
Spirited

Post by Spirited »

scottkfan1 wrote:spirited once again for almost 5 years now adding nothing to any conversation but hate and being a troll

I don't hate you. Dislike maybe.
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

Spirit does hate this guy, though:

XbWWbpq44ec
dursin

Post by dursin »

scottkfan1 wrote:spirited once again for almost 5 years now adding nothing to any conversation but hate and being a troll
Spirit is wrong....not always, but most of the time, including this time. The "100% wrong" title belongs to the undisputed king of fact free made-up bullshit...The Sphinx. Just find the humor in the posts they make and don't let it get to you.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Spirited wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

Douche.

Well actually I was being funny. I would take that comment from a fellow KISS fan that's followed the band and he's seen it's peeks and valleys. When you replied to my post originally it was from a point of passion. I don't know if you're an...Originals only...Tommy has a big head...Paul should be ashamed of himself...how dare they wear Ace & Peter's makeup...VV is God...whatever kind fan you are. Your comment came from dislike for this version, but love for another. By Josh bringing up attendance selectively he's just saying, "Look at all these empty seats for big bad KISS." It was a shot at the band, if you read the article it's obvious. The "prove you wrong" wasn't a shot at you. But since it was brought up...the KISS Army is alive and well, and 40 years strong.
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

Very good show, much better than last year in Tampa. Arena was no more than 2/3 full to my eyes, if that. Highlight was indeed Out of This World, as bizarre as it feels to type that.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

MrSnackwell wrote:Very good show, much better than last year in Tampa. Arena was no more than 2/3 full to my eyes, if that. Highlight was indeed Out of This World, as bizarre as it feels to type that.
Cool! Glad you had a good time!
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

gshaller wrote:
MrSnackwell wrote:Very good show, much better than last year in Tampa. Arena was no more than 2/3 full to my eyes, if that. Highlight was indeed Out of This World, as bizarre as it feels to type that.
Cool! Glad you had a good time!
It sucks that KISS always does so poorly in Orlando, because the new arena is beautiful ... and just down the road from my house. ;)
Spirited

Post by Spirited »

nibbler1982 wrote:
Spirited wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:

Douche.

Well actually I was being funny. I would take that comment from a fellow KISS fan that's followed the band and he's seen it's peeks and valleys. When you replied to my post originally it was from a point of passion. I don't know if you're an...Originals only...Tommy has a big head...Paul should be ashamed of himself...how dare they wear Ace & Peter's makeup...VV is God...whatever kind fan you are. Your comment came from dislike for this version, but love for another. By Josh bringing up attendance selectively he's just saying, "Look at all these empty seats for big bad KISS." It was a shot at the band, if you read the article it's obvious. The "prove you wrong" wasn't a shot at you. But since it was brought up...the KISS Army is alive and well, and 40 years strong.

Well, originals only? No, I supported most versions of KIss.
Thayer has a big head? Statements of fact are hard to e.
I am over the makeup thing, it is just silly now.
VV was a good songwriter, only in Kiss.

The army might be alive and well, but it has dwindled. There is no question, but I can appreciate your overall point.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

To be fair, I don't think "the KISS Army has dwindled" is a criticism or a bash. It's dwindled on and off for 4 decades, even during periods regarded by many as the band's finest.
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

gshaller wrote:To be fair, I don't think "the KISS Army has dwindled" is a criticism or a bash.

And if I were to try to support it, I sure wouldn't use attendance figures in Orlando, where KISS has usually done poorly. I don't think they sold out here on either the reunion or farewell tours.
MrSnackwell

Post by MrSnackwell »

Hey, does anybody know if there was a meet-and-greet in Orlando, and if so, how many people took part? THAT might be interesting to know.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

Reunion they did sell out in Orlando. Farewell they didn't.
(Thanks, Jeff and Curt!)
dursin

Post by dursin »

MrSnackwell wrote:Hey, does anybody know if there was a meet-and-greet in Orlando, and if so, how many people took part? THAT might be interesting to know.
A 'very large' group of people. Not sure what that means. :)
http://www.orlandopredators.com/news/-212.php