N.American Monster #13 - Ottawa, 7/25/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #13 - Ottawa, 7/25/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
ferox965

Re: N.American Monster #13 - Ottawa, 7/25/13

Post by ferox965 »

They cancelled the meet and greet for Ottawa
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

ferox965 wrote:They cancelled the meet and greet for Ottawa
Seems to be a growing trend
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney »

Show halfway done. No setlist changes so far, according to a friend.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/25/kis ... -to-ottawa

Kiss brings the rock to Ottawa
BY AEDAN HELMER ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, JULY 25, 2013 10:51 PM EDT | UPDATED: THURSDAY, JULY 25, 2013 11:56 PM EDT

When Kiss took one of their glam metal progeny Motley Crue out on the road with them last year, the concert event billed simply as The Tour made only one Canadian stop, in Toronto.

Both bands made up for the oversight in 2013, each booking the most extensive cross-Canada tours in band history, at 18 dates apiece and rolling through such heavy metal meccas as Edmonton, Brandon, Manitoba “...and Sudbury” as Gene Simmons noted in a wry baritone that interrupted Paul Stanley rhyming off Kiss Monster Tour stops during Thursday's show.

But anyone comparing the two concerts — Kiss and the Crue coming about 70 days apart and both attracting around 8,000 to the Canadian Tire Centre — would have to wonder if the Crue could've learned a thing or two from the road warriors of Kiss, who, if they didn't invent the arena rock spectacle, they certainly set the gold-studded standard for all to follow.

Kiss — Starman Stanley and the Demon Simmons, with replacement Space Ace Tommy Thayer and Catman Eric Singer each getting a chance to shine in a mid-set guitar and drum double solo — gave the people what they paid for in a two-hour rock spectacle that had nearly non-stop pyrotechnics blazing amid some blaring rock 'n roll.

And the Ottawa regiment of Kiss Army had flags flying and fists pumping, even if Stanley reluctantly acknowledged, “This isn't the biggest crowd we've played to” on tour.

Still, the crowd made a noise equal to one twice its size on a spirited singalong on I Love it Loud, and kept the energy flowing through a string of vintage Seventies shock rockers, with every fist in the house raised right from Shout it Out Loud and right through Deuce, Detroit Rock City and the encore, signature party anthem Rock N' Roll All Nite.

Stanley and Simmons were both dynamic performers — at age 61 and 63 and still packing plenty of punch in their showmanship skills, Stanley demanding fan love with raised fists throughout and calls for competing cheers on either side of the arena, and Simmons seething at fans through bloody teeth, “You better get off your a--” while perched in a harness high above the stage in a blood-smeared bass solo.

It says something for two rock stars of their vintage to be able to slather on the makeup every night and pull on the platforms and the black studded leather, with Stanley still flying over the crowd and still giving his best rock star screams, and Simmons as some wicked, growling gargoyle, breathing fire and frothing blood all over horned armour and his demon bass.

With a stage featuring a giant robotic spider that looked like it had come to life and walked over from the National Gallery lawn to drop four face-painted freaks off on stage — and somewhere along the way picked up the ability to fire off rockets from its belly and laser beams from its eyes — the entire show was a feast for the senses.

And despite the new album Monster, Kiss knew exactly why the fans came out — a select few even in Kiss costume — and accordingly served up fan-favourites God of Thunder, Lick it Up, Love Gun and Black Diamond.

Even the newer songs — like the opener Psycho Circus, from the same 1998 album, Hell or Hallelujah, with the band members taking a break to sign a copy the 2012 Monster LP onstage for a fan's 14th birthday — were all augmented with enough explosive blasts, fireworks and balls of flame to keep the fans' attention span from drifting too far.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainm ... story.html

Predictable Kiss deliver far from dull show
Many of the fist-pumping fans were in Kiss face paint and costumes

BY LYNN SAXBERG, OTTAWA CITIZEN

For a couple of hours on Thursday, there were two giant spiders in Ottawa: Maman, the sculpture outside the National Gallery of Canada, and the futuristic monster that crawled into Canadian Tire Centre with the rock band Kiss.

In full costume, the band members descended to the stage on the back of a massive metal arachnid that was lit up like a Christmas tree, crunching the chords to Psycho Circus as pyro blasted around them and the crowd roared. As far as rock-concert entrances go, it was awesome.

In fact, it may have been the highlight of an otherwise predictable show. After 40 years in the business, we know what to expect from the rock ‘n’ roll survivors: headbanging tunes played at eardrum-obliterating volume by grown men in ridiculous outfits, accompanied by more explosions than an electrical storm over a fireworks factory.

But just because it was predictable doesn’t mean it was dull — far from it. In their black-and-white makeup, platform boots and glam garb, original guitarist Paul Stanley and bassist Gene Simmons, along with longtime members Tommy Thayer on guitar and Eric Singer on drums, served up a crowd-pleasing show that was loaded with old hits. Sure, they’re touring behind the 2012 album, Monster, but it did not dominate the setlist.

To the fist-pumping delight of the 8,000 fans in attendance, many of them rocking their own Kiss face paint and costumes, the band cranked out songs like Shout it Out Loud, I Love it Loud, War Machine, Lick it Up and Love Gun. There were the usual audience participation gimmicks to see which side of the building made the most noise, but also the surprising gesture of each band member signing a vinyl album that was passed up to them by an old-school fan.

Solos made up a significant chunk of the show, with what passed for a bass solo highlighted by the still-gross sight of Simmons flicking his freakish tongue and spitting fake blood. Yuck.

Musically, the best part was the final stretch, which consisted of an all-out tear through Detroit Rock City, I Was Made for Lovin’ You and Rock N Roll All Nite. As the band and its eight-legged pet lumber their way across Canada on an extensive tour this summer, those are the songs guaranteed to leave fans in every city in a party mood.

The opening act on this tour, Florida rockers Shinedown, provided an interesting contrast to the headliners by delivering a thoughtful and intense style of hard rock. Singer Brent Smith was largely responsible for the intensity, singing with lung-busting passion as he seemed to personally lock eyes with every fan in the building.

Behind him, his bandmates had to play hard to keep up to Smith, and they succeeded admirably, turning in a forceful set that ranged from the overwrought ballad I’ll Follow You to the anguished Sound of Madness, the emotional Second Chance and the in-your-face anthem, Bully. The band’s playing was loud and crisp, Smith’s stage presence was formidable and it was evident that he puts a lot of care and thought into his lyrics. To make it even more enjoyable, a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Simple Man was thrown in to illustrate their all-but-buried Southern rock roots.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Attendance quite average. Other than Edmonton and what would've been Calgary, it's been a challenge attendance wise, except in the smallest centers. Kiss have toured so extensively, it's no surprise, but clearly they need to take a bit of time off in North America. The problem, is that they don't have two years to wait.

Good reviews though. Can't wait until next weekend! With two shows in St. John's, the first sold out and the second close, we'll have close to 12,000 over two nights. Every casual fan who ever existed is going. Looks like St. John's is the new Kiss capital of Canada.

And not a mention of Paul's vocal issues.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Evo999 wrote:Attendance quite average. Other than Edmonton and what would've been Calgary, it's been a challenge attendance wise, except in the smallest centers. Kiss have toured so extensively, it's no surprise, but clearly they need to take a bit of time off in North America. The problem, is that they don't have two years to wait.

Good reviews though. Can't wait until next weekend! With two shows in St. John's, the first sold out and the second close, we'll have close to 12,000 over two nights. Every casual fan who ever existed is going. Looks like St. John's is the new Kiss capital of Canada.

Has there been official confirmation of the sellout on night #1? It would be great if night #2 sold out as well.

KISS got about 8,000 for their show in Ottawa in 2000. With them playing at just about every venue possible in the area, 8,0000 is a good showing. Not great, but solid. They're also playing in Montreal next week, a 90 minute drive from Ottawa.
kissno1
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissno1 »

I guess everyone will say they are doomed now
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

Shane_Penney wrote:
Evo999 wrote:Attendance quite average. Other than Edmonton and what would've been Calgary, it's been a challenge attendance wise, except in the smallest centers. Kiss have toured so extensively, it's no surprise, but clearly they need to take a bit of time off in North America. The problem, is that they don't have two years to wait.

Has there been official confirmation of the sellout on night #1? It would be great if night #2 sold out as well.

KISS got about 8,000 for their show in Ottawa in 2000. With them playing at just about every venue possible in the area, 8,0000 is a good showing. Not great, but solid. They're also playing in Montreal next week, a 90 minute drive from Ottawa.
Well if you try and get a ticket on-line, you can't. Lot's on Khajiji. Only scattered upper bowl seats /or far back on the floor in Night 2. It looks 80% sold for sure.
senswinthecup
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by senswinthecup »

I was at the Ottawa show last night. Was only my 3rd Kiss show (first saw them in Ottawa in 1990 on the Hot In The Shade tour) but there's a few things that happened that I haven't read anywhere yet.

First, I think Paul was a little miffed at all the empty seats at the back of the arena. He twice mentioned that they’ve “played to bigger audiences” before and then went into his usual rap. But it struck me kind of funny and it might have been my imagination but Paul seemed to be going through the motions for a lot of the show. I kept wondering if the crowd (and Ottawa is known for quiet fans at shows) was getting him down. On the other hand, Gene was full of energy and was the most animated I’ve seen him in a long time.

Then another strange thing happened. After Paul had swung out over the crowd to the platform during Love Gun, he went into Black Diamond but then his mic and guitar went dead during the intro and I could see a tech guy scrambling around trying to fix something. The band went right into the main riff but the sound totally died through the PA and all you could hear was the band through their own monitors. The crowd got really confused and started looking around at each other but all of a sudden the PA slammed back in and everything returned to normal. It all only lasted about 10 seconds but it was pretty strange. Again, it seemed to me that Paul was pissed.

So pissed that after BD, he said “Normally this is the end of the show but we’re gonna keep on playing for you” and the band didn’t leave the stage for the normal encore but started playing DRCity. At first I thought Paul was a little embarrassed about the sound issues and decided to give Ottawa an extra song but they just played the encore songs without leaving.

Or have they been doing this the whole tour? Anyways, it was still a fantastic show and Paul’s voice was in fine shape to my ears. He didn’t seem to struggle in that regard.
senswinthecup
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by senswinthecup »

I actually found video of what I was talking about with Black Diamond. At about the 5:45 mark it all seems to go dead and Paul starts looking around wondering what the bleep is going on.
01fpZGDkym8
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

senswinthecup wrote:I actually found video of what I was talking about with Black Diamond. At about the 5:45 mark it all seems to go dead and Paul starts looking around wondering what the bleep is going on.
01fpZGDkym8
Sound issues aside, that's how they've been doing it lately, He starts BD then comes back to the stage while the band is playing the song. I really don't see how those 5 sections across the back top could have bothered him, they were never put on sale as KISS played a smaller configuration of the Tire Centre( only 10,000 seats were put on sale).
senswinthecup
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by senswinthecup »

Fair enough. But have they been staying on the stage after Black Diamond all tour or going off for the usual encore break. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

senswinthecup wrote:Fair enough. But have they been staying on the stage after Black Diamond all tour or going off for the usual encore break. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
I could be wrong , but they've been doing it without a break since Edmonton, can't remember before that.
senswinthecup
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by senswinthecup »

Maybe I just got confused when Paul said "Normally this is the end of the show". I just assumed they would leave the stage and then come back for a normal encore of Detroit Rock City etc. but they just played the whole set through. Thanks for the info.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

I'm surprised they didn't sell in Ottawa, don't think it's a market they heavily hit. Last time they played Ottawa was in 2009 for a festival where the attendance was ~40,000...the argument then was that everybody was there for KISS...so where were they this time around? :P
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Anomaly wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't sell in Ottawa, don't think it's a market they heavily hit. Last time they played Ottawa was in 2009 for a festival where the attendance was ~40,000...the argument then was that everybody was there for KISS...so where were they this time around? :P
Wouldn't 5 shows in the same area be about the same ?
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion on the attendance.

As far as it being a challenge, if you mean to sell more tickets in Canada on this tour than they ever have? Then yes, they've met that challenge and then some. For the last 4 or 5 years EVERYBODY'S been saying, "KISS has over toured so much, the market is so over saturated their next tour is doomed." Sooner or later that could be the case but so far the stats say otherwise. Since Alive! 35 to Monster their attendance has climbed from ~10,000 to ~17,000 and they've been giving us pretty much 50 dates a year...the most since The Farewell Tour.

To date the Canadian leg of Monster is averaging 7,236 a night and they're on pace to sell around 130,000 tickets. If you want to point out some of their "average" attendance numbers at the major arenas...what would you expect? The night before and after KISS is usually selling out a 7,000 seater within an hours distance from said major arena. Those smaller venues are cannibalizing from the larger ones. It's to be expected. The real brilliance of this tour is that in these smaller WHL arenas the average ticket price is over $100 dollars. The gate adds up real quick with those types of numbers. This is just another case of KISS farming untapped markets in between hitting the same old same old. They've been doing that brilliantly for the last few years. It keeps the money machine rolling that way...50+ dates of the KISS traveling merch store.

Have they over toured in the last few years? Nothing has proven that statement correct so far...time will tell.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

nibbler1982 wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion on the attendance.

As far as it being a challenge, if you mean to sell more tickets in Canada on this tour than they ever have? Then yes, they've met that challenge and then some. For the last 4 or 5 years EVERYBODY'S been saying, "KISS has over toured so much, the market is so over saturated their next tour is doomed." Sooner or later that could be the case but so far the stats say otherwise. Since Alive! 35 to Monster their attendance has climbed from ~10,000 to ~17,000 and they've been giving us pretty much 50 dates a year...the most since The Farewell Tour.

To date the Canadian leg of Monster is averaging 7,236 a night and they're on pace to sell around 130,000 tickets. If you want to point out some of their "average" attendance numbers at the major arenas...what would you expect? The night before and after KISS is usually selling out a 7,000 seater within an hours distance from said major arena. Those smaller venues are cannibalizing from the larger ones. It's to be expected. The real brilliance of this tour is that in these smaller WHL arenas the average ticket price is over $100 dollars. The gate adds up real quick with those types of numbers. This is just another case of KISS farming untapped markets in between hitting the same old same old. They've been doing that brilliantly for the last few years. It keeps the money machine rolling that way...50+ dates of the KISS traveling merch store.

Have they over toured in the last few years? Nothing has proven that statement correct so far...time will tell.
Hope you are right - and obviously, the didn't expect to sell more than 10,000 since that was the configuration they picked. Didn't consider that they are also playing London and Montreal as well as Toronto and Sudbury.
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Anomaly wrote:

Ottawa is a 90 minute drive from Montreal. They will be in Montreal on Monday. My guess is that they'll get about the same in Montreal, maybe a bit more.

2009 was the first shows in either Montreal or Ottawa since 2000. They also sold out in Montreal in 2009, which wasn't a festival. That was the first time they had ever done that. They never did that during the Reunion or Farewell. Those numbers were unexpected then, and....wait for it....an anomaly.

KISS got 7,396 in Ottawa and 12,000+ in Montreal in 2000. KISS outsold those Ottawa numbers last night. We will see with Montreal.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

Shane_Penney wrote: 2009 was the first shows in either Montreal or Ottawa since 2000. They also sold out in Montreal in 2009, which wasn't a festival. That was the first time they had ever done that. They never did that during the Reunion or Farewell. Those numbers were unexpected then, and....wait for it....an anomaly.