N.American Monster #7 - Saskatoon, 7/14/13

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

N.American Monster #7 - Saskatoon, 7/14/13

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

If reporting from the show on your phone, use cut-down version of the message board at http://m.kissfaq.com/

Details:

Notes:
- The Meet & Greet for this event was cancelled.
Gottosnooze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: N.American Monster #7 - Saskatoon, 7/14/13

Post by Gottosnooze »

shouldnt this be number 6?
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Gottosnooze wrote:shouldnt this be number 6?
It was number 7 before Calgary got canceled because of flooding.
Gottosnooze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Gottosnooze »

kissthat wrote:
Gottosnooze wrote:shouldnt this be number 6?
It was number 7 before Calgary got canceled because of flooding.
oh shit!
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

Gene just tweeted:

http://t.co/inzG9MBNN3
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Psycho Circus
Shout It Out Loud
Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
I Love It Loud
Hell or Hallelujah
War Machine (Gene breathes fire)
Heaven's on Fire
Deuce
Say Yeah
Shock Me / Outta This World
Guitar and Drum Solos (Tommy Thayer / Eric Singer)
Bass Solo (Gene spits blood and flies)
God of Thunder
Lick It Up
Love Gun
(Paul flies over crowd to the B-stage)
Black Diamond
Encore:
Detroit Rock City
I Was Made for Lovin' You
Rock and Roll All Nite
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

Heaven's on Fire
Lick It Up

If they would just dump these and pick 3 under the radar songs , this set would be fun
SureKnowSomething
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by SureKnowSomething »

metaldad wrote:Heaven's on Fire
Lick It Up

If they would just dump these and pick 3 under the radar songs , this set would be fun
HOF was a big enough Mtv hit that it should be in regular rotation.

LIU, could just as well be All Hell's Breaking Loose. And, it might be an option that's easier on Paul's voice. Does anybody care if they don't do The Who thing during LIU?

I agree about the other 2. Those 2 segments could be replaced with 3 songs instead. Work the rocket and bazooka stunts into other places in the show. Better yet, use a Tshirt cannon instead of the bazooka or replace it with the flaming sticks. Unholy would be a good one for a short drum solo spot with the flaming sticks. Alternating between Parasite, She and Watchin' You might be a nice way to switch it up a little. The same with I Stole Your Love, Take Me and C'Mon And Love Me with Paul on the arm that goes out above the crowd (Tommy and Gene already do during RARAN). Give Tommy a solo spot in one of the other songs, DRC is a decent one for an extended guitar solo.

Does anybody care about Eric's bazooka? It doesn't seem to have caught on all that well, as is. It would make more sense and be better suited at the end of War Machine, IMO.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

As much as I like Deuce returning to the permanent set, why can't they just use that spot as a spot for rotating songs like Christine Sixteen, Strutter, Parasite, Watchin' You in?
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

kisshth
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by kisshth »

There really wasn't an encore. They didn't leave the stage after BD.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

kisshth wrote:There really wasn't an encore. They didn't leave the stage after BD.
They sat there eating cookies watching the crowd file out? :P

Waiiiiiit...RARAN's CLOSING AGAIN!? :shock:
Super Distortion
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Super Distortion »

If they have to play something from Sonic Boom I would MUCH rather hear Modern Day Delilah over Say Yeah. Perhaps MDD is too similar to Hell or Hallelujah to play in the same set?! Just guessing as to why they don't keep that in the set. Say Yeah is not essential by any standard and definitely not the best/most loved track from SB. Certainly not by me anyway and I'm right down the middle in terms of opinion on SB. Obviously we're not going to get the gems and unearthed treasures from the past that we all want in the setlist so I'm trying to address something that might actually change!Say Yeah can go and the neutral fan still gets to hear the KLASSICS, if it has to replaced by a track from the current incarnation of the band then why not MDD?!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Review+Af ... story.html

Reviewing a KISS show isn’t the easiest gig in the world. Standard criteria one might use for critiquing a concert doesn’t really apply here, after all.

A KISS show is about the stage theatrics, first and foremost, with the actual music placing a fairly distant second. So, to be serious about trying to analyze a KISS show from an objective level, it’s imperative to become completely immersed in the experience, and view it as a living, (fire) breathing collective organism that all 6,500 fans at Saskatoon’s Credit Union Centre on Sunday got to be a part of for a single night. This ain’t a concert folks. It’s a circus set to music.

So does it all hold up well in 2013? This is the same act KISS has been parading onto the stage since they slapped on the greasepaint in 1973. This became apparent very early into the show, as there didn’t seem to be much, if any, deviation from what we’ve grown used to over the last 40 years. For their part, KISS did what they were paid handsomely to do: they left it all on the stage, both real blood and fake. It’s pretty foolish to expect a high level of musicianship from a band like this, but it was quite surprising how free the concert was of sloppy-joe playing from any member of the group. Granted, it’s not the most difficult music to replicate live, but there were no real noticeable clumsy riffs or missed cues to be found for the entire two hour set. Love Gun was probably the best moment of the night from a strictly musical standpoint, as the band barrelled through the track with a ferocity that seemed to actually catch the audience off guard (in a good way). War Machine also brought the house down.

But it’s not likely that any sonic aspects existed as a true highlight of any fan’s experience at the concert. It’s also safe to say nobody actually used their seat at any point during the show. There was always something to be watching, whether it was Paul Stanley flying over the crowd onto a suspended platform, or guitar solos from 30 feet in the air. And it felt oddly ceremonial to actually see Gene Simmons blow fire off a sword and hurl it into the ground.

Theatrics aside, KISS showed the worth of being consummate professionals. They impressively displayed an acute understanding of what the audience wanted and needed. At no point, even during the lesser-known newer material, did the band forget what it came here for: to entertain and launch fire into our lives. KISS may be old and way past the era that made them household names, but that makeup serves as fully-functioning formaldehyde.

Things change around them but they always seem to stay the same. At the end of the day they were just four old dudes in makeup trying very hard to give their fans a fun Sunday night. And those in attendance were all the better for it.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Stacy DeVille
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Stacy DeVille »

Hey! Does anybody want to post photos from this show?