EuroMonster #3, 6/06 - Sweden Rock Festival, Solvesborg, Swe

Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: EuroMonster #3, 6/06 - Sweden Rock Festival, Solvesborg,

Post by Pieter Kriss »

Kee,
thanks for those translations! The Google article translations were very poor.
Sounds like a dismal tour so far.
The sounded rough as hell on the Sonic Boom tour (the last KISS show I'll ever see without Ace). I can't believe they're still trying to make a go at this some five years later. ug.
Kee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kee »

Pieter Kriss wrote:Kee,
thanks for those translations! The Google article translations were very poor.
Sounds like a dismal tour so far.
The sounded rough as hell on the Sonic Boom tour (the last KISS show I'll ever see without Ace). I can't believe they're still trying to make a go at this some five years later. ug.
You're most welcome, my friend.
Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pieter Kriss »

1000000-2-1 wrote:
Pollux wrote:One bad show? Big deal. Stockholm was pretty good for starters and Helsinki was great. Also the reviews about the show in Helsinki were great.
Yes.
Helsinki was AMAZING!!!
C'mon friends, this sounds 'AMAZING'???
XAIQq88wBQc

Have our standards for excellence really slipped that freaking LOW???
Paul Stanley has been reduced to talking his way through Detroit Rock City for Christ's sake!
We're talking DEEtroit ROCK City here! This sounds freaking awful. It's cool to like the band, but these guys are charging a premium price and promising a premium product. Sorry, but KISS has failed to deliver. They have set a high standard in their long career and can no longer reach that standard. A big light up spider is no replacement for a strong vocalist. In comparison, here's a clip of KISS (playing the same song) when they really do sound 'AMAZING':
CFubbkG84-4
I love the band, but seeing them on stage today is embarrassing.
That 70s Guy
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by That 70s Guy »

One video professionally filmed,one filmed with someone's phone....

really? :roll:
Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pieter Kriss »

That 70s Guy wrote:One video professionally filmed,one filmed with someone's phone....

really?
That's all you've got?? The quality of the film doesn't mask KISS's poor performance in 2013.
Mandrakegray
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Mandrakegray »

kissthat wrote:One of these reviewers was at least honest in that he admitted that he thought KISS had not been KISS since 1982. Usually they aren't so honest in showing their bias upfront. The other (according to some reports on the net) is the guy Paul put in his place in the presser before the show. Yeah , he was gonna write a glowing review.
I'm not one to come here and go negative against the band, and I'm not calling for an end like some others are...but even if you question the validity/honesty of those who wrote those reviews (and yeah, the one does read like the writer had sharpened his knives long before viewing the show) watching the clips can be more than a little disheartening.

I'm not sure the 'elephant in the room' analogy even applies anymore. That phrase is used to suggest a problem everyone knows about...but no one is talking about. Sadly, when it comes to Paul's voice...EVERYONE is talking about it.

I have loved the band since 1975, and I really enjoy the current lineup. Paul's voice is certainly an issue with me...but what really depresses me is watching Paul's expressions as he's efforting to do what once came so easily. The man was a ****ing GOD in the live arena for soooo many years.

I had a great time seeing the guys last year, and I like the new lighting rig and the hints of future tweaks/additions to the production (long overdue). But as a lifelong fan, it pains me to see Paul (who always struck my as the most prideful of the original four) wind down his legendary career in this manner.
shupey

Post by shupey »

Actually the way Paul did the 2013 version isn't too bad. I'd rather have him do it that way (it really does sound kinda cool to me) than to try and over sing it. It is a little silly comparing performances 33 years apart though. Compare what David Lee Roth, Ozzy, Jagger, Steven Tyler, etc.. sounded like 30 years ago compared to now. Admittedly Paul is probably on the lower end of the spectrum but they all have changed.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Pieter Kriss wrote:
That 70s Guy wrote:One video professionally filmed,one filmed with someone's phone....

really?
That's all you've got?? The quality of the film doesn't mask KISS's poor performance in 2013.
They were better and YOUNGER in 1980(as is every single classic rock band on the planet), but let's not pretend that the inner sanctum show was not heavily over dubbed.
kevsdad
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kevsdad »

It's amazing how some people will come here to do nothing but bitch and complain. If you don't like what's going on with Paul's voice, Eric and Tommy in makeup, set list, stage, ect.....why come here?

I bet it kills some of you that they still tour successfully. You complain when they play Shock Me, but Ace plays Deuce or Love Gun and that's OK.

Now I understand that my favorite rock star of all time has shredded his voice and the mixing of Monster was bad. But I still enjoy that my favorite band is still rocking with four members happy and grateful to be there.

Apparently, some people enjoy being negative and unhappy.
Ace's Silver Suit
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Ace's Silver Suit »

Welcome to the ...

MTV Rationalize concert!

It's nice that there's a KISS in existence in 2013, it really is ...

I look at it like the Yankees - I may love the 1978 Yanks, but not the 1989 team ... but someone may! And I may love an earlier era, but still follow the team.

But, it would be foolish to not acknowledge that Paul Stanley - a personal and professional hero - has seen some of his talent diminish to the point that he shouldn't be in the game. He cannot deliver vocally at a professional level. There's no way around it.

No, biggie, no argument, just my opinion.
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

shupey wrote:Actually the way Paul did the 2013 version isn't too bad. I'd rather have him do it that way (it really does sound kinda cool to me) than to try and over sing it. It is a little silly comparing performances 33 years apart though. Compare what David Lee Roth, Ozzy, Jagger, Steven Tyler, etc.. sounded like 30 years ago compared to now. Admittedly Paul is probably on the lower end of the spectrum but they all have changed.
Agree.

The bottomline is Paul's vox are shot and it is likely to improve marginally at best. It is what it is.

Some here believe you should not tour in this "condition." Others disagree.
It does detract somewhat from the show for me but not enough to keep me away.

They are making effort IMO, and they like what they do. They are trying to compensate with the other guys taking a increasingly heavier load--even TT's "Shock Me" partial eats up some time.

They have added the new light rig-- a sign of effort if not "compensation" for Paul's voice issues.

3/4 of the band is fine with vox. 4/4 of the band is fine with playing their instruments. Not enough to throw in the towel yet.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

emberassing. slow tempos,bad vocals and pyro very other second to mask the musical limitations. they never had that much pyro before.saw them in 2010,had a good time for most of the show,but i wanted the show to end after a while. not only do they sound bad,but also the show is boring. EEEEENNNNDDD ITTT NOW:) way overdue
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Ace's Silver Suit wrote:Welcome to the ...

MTV Rationalize concert!

It's nice that there's a KISS in existence in 2013, it really is ...

I look at it like the Yankees - I may love the 1978 Yanks, but not the 1989 team ... but someone may! And I may love an earlier era, but still follow the team.

But, it would be foolish to not acknowledge that Paul Stanley - a personal and professional hero - has seen some of his talent diminish to the point that he shouldn't be in the game. He cannot deliver vocally at a professional level. There's no way around it.

No, biggie, no argument, just my opinion.
I respect this view. Well put, sir!
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

I have no issue with a fan not being into this current line up that's fine..but when they are now supporting rolling stone magazine and rock critics against kiss then there true colors are showing. For the guys who want kiss to end as a live act they can end the second you stop watching the YouTube videos and going to the show. If its so bad stop checking it out stop looking and it will be over that second you will never see kiss perform again. There problem solved
Spirited
Location: In the Ace Avatar Bunker, planning world domination

Post by Spirited »

I think it is fair to say I would prefer that my all time favourite rock vocalist did not go out and embarrass himself on stage night after night.

If that makes me a hater, so be it.
scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

Spirited wrote:I think it is fair to say I would prefer that my all time favourite rock vocalist did not go out and embarrass himself on stage night after night.

it does not make you a hater at all spirited..it just makes you a guy who keeps repeating himself saying the same thing for the last 6 years. We get it... :D
Spirited
Location: In the Ace Avatar Bunker, planning world domination

Post by Spirited »

scottkfan1 wrote:
Spirited wrote:I think it is fair to say I would prefer that my all time favourite rock vocalist did not go out and embarrass himself on stage night after night.

it does not make you a hater at all spirited..it just makes you a guy who keeps repeating himself saying the same thing for the last 6 years. We get it... :D

Yes, a lot of people repeat things here. Like if you don't like what the band is doing, don't look.

:lol:
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Spirited wrote:
scottkfan1 wrote:

Yes, a lot of people repeat things here. Like if you don't like what the band is doing, don't look.

:lol:
Yep. True. :mrgreen:
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

Hard to argue against this.
FIX
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FIX »

I think that's fair too. I won't deny that it hurts me to hear Paul, and consequently the band, struggle. I'm willing to accept an aging KISS though. I get why others are not. As much certain things have diminished, I take that trade off to have two good records I wouldn't otherwise have. KISS being around making records and still playing shows puts a smile on my face.
Revenant01

Post by Revenant01 »

Tech problems and problems with musical tightness don't worry me: they can and will fix those. Paul's voice, however, cannot be fixed, and it's the primary reason (along with cost) why I won't go to the shows anymore.

I love him, and I love the band, but he was AWESOME when I'd seen them live before ('82, '89, '96, and '00). I will NOT pay for the vocal performance he gives now. jmo. I want to enjoy his performance, not constantly worry if he will crack or if no sound will come out. It's terribly sad to watch one of your heroes stay in the game too long.

The same drive and pride that fueled his success is fuelling a very public downfall.... :(
Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pieter Kriss »

If anything, it seems that concert reviewers tend to give KISS a pass. (instead of focusing on the music, they generally speak of the band's legacy and showmanship, which is still great).
KISS should be criticized for not delivering MUSICALLY.
I'm thankful to the Swedish press for having the balls to say something critical.
Pollux
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pollux »

Pieter Kriss wrote:
1000000-2-1 wrote:
Pollux wrote:One bad show? Big deal. Stockholm was pretty good for starters and Helsinki was great. Also the reviews about the show in Helsinki were great.
Yes.
Helsinki was AMAZING!!!
XAIQq88wBQc

Paul Stanley has been reduced to talking his way through Detroit Rock City for Christ's sake!
We're talking DEEtroit ROCK City here! This sounds freaking awful. It's cool to like the band, but these guys are charging a premium price and promising a premium product. Sorry, but KISS has failed to deliver. They have set a high standard in their long career and can no longer reach that standard. A big light up spider is no replacement for a strong vocalist. In comparison, here's a clip of KISS (playing the same song) when they really do sound 'AMAZING':
CFubbkG84-4
I love the band, but seeing them on stage today is embarrassing.
I'm not talking about these clips. I'm talking about the real experience. Plus we know already everything about Pauls' voice. I have nothing to add to that. Helsinki wasn't excellent but it was a great experience. Great show & set.
1000000-2-1
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 1000000-2-1 »

Pollux wrote: I'm not talking about these clips. I'm talking about the real experience. Plus we know already everything about Pauls' voice. I have nothing to add to that. Helsinki wasn't excellent but it was a great experience. Great show & set.
That's so true.

I went for the show... because of the SHOW.

I SAW IT.
I LOVED IT ( like 4 times before that I've seen KISS).

My heros on the stage... no matter what they may sound, I will love 'em til I die.

Just like I love my brother... and it's just been like that since the day one... though we don't always get along :lol:
kissno1
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissno1 »

It is funny that someone would take the time out of their day to go on to a KISS forum & bash them, why even bother? I don't like Celine Dion but I'd be damned if I would sign up to a Celine Dion forum & complain that she isn't what she used to be.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

Pieter Kriss wrote:
1000000-2-1 wrote:
Yes.
Helsinki was AMAZING!!!
XAIQq88wBQc

Paul Stanley has been reduced to talking his way through Detroit Rock City for Christ's sake. but seeing them on stage today is embarrassing.

Agreed. Paul doesn't know when to pull the plug. It's sad really.
Kee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kee »

kissno1 wrote: It is funny that someone would take the time out of their day to go on to a KISS forum & bash them, why even bother? I don't like Celine Dion but I'd be damned if I would sign up to a Celine Dion forum & complain that she isn't what she used to be.
You don't get it, do you? Our criticism comes from our love of the band and the fact that we give a damn about what happens with our fave band. If we didn't care we 1) wouldn't even be here and 2) wouldn't care to critisize. Don't mistake criticism with mindless hate or whatever. It's like with sports. The fans that "complain" the most are also often the fans who truly cares the most. So don't get it wrong.

I hate when we can't ask the tough, critical questions without being labelled "non-fans" etc. Like I said, I'm a critical thinker and I don't like when people take the "take it or leave it, you complainer!"-approach. Please, open your minds. Dare to question things!
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

1000000-2-1 wrote:
Pollux wrote: I'm not talking about these clips. I'm talking about the real experience. Plus we know already everything about Pauls' voice. I have nothing to add to that. Helsinki wasn't excellent but it was a great experience. Great show & set.
That's so true.

I went for the show... because of the SHOW.

I SAW IT.
I LOVED IT ( like 4 times before that I've seen KISS).

My heros on the stage... no matter what they may sound, I will love 'em til I die.

Just like I love my brother... and it's just been like that since the day one... though we don't always get along :lol:

Good for you mate. Yes, you are a proud Fanboy. :-)
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

[quote="Kee"][quote="kissno1"] It is funny that someone would take the time out of their day to go on to a KISS forum & bash them, why even bother? I don't like Celine Dion but I'd be damned if I would sign up to a Celine Dion forum & complain that she isn't what she used to be.[/quote]

You don't get it, do you? Our criticism comes from our love of the band and the fact that we give a damn about what happens with our fave band. If we didn't care we 1) wouldn't even be here and 2) wouldn't care to critisize. Don't mistake criticism with mindless hate or whatever. It's like with sports. The fans that "complain" the most are also often the fans who truly cares the most. So don't get it wrong.

I hate when we can't ask the tough, critical questions without being labelled "non-fans" etc. Like I said, I'm a critical thinker and I don't like when people take the "take it or leave it, you complainer!"-approach. Please, open your minds. Dare to question things![/quote]

Here here!
Pollux
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pollux »

[quote="Tommyr"][quote="Pieter Kriss"][quote="1000000-2-1"][quote="Pollux"]One bad show? Big deal. Stockholm was pretty good for starters and Helsinki was great. Also the reviews about the show in Helsinki were great.[/quote]

[color=#00FF40]Yes.
Helsinki was AMAZING!!![/color][/quote]

XAIQq88wBQc

Paul Stanley has been reduced to talking his way through Detroit Rock City for Christ's sake. but seeing them on stage today is embarrassing.[/quote]

Agreed. Paul doesn't know when to pull the plug. It's sad really.[/quote]

With all the respect perhaps you don't know when to pull the plug.

I know the issues. I have made my bed. I will see Kiss at kruise. Quite exciting! I will go to see them at least once or twice more. If they can come up with what they delivered in Helsinki (for me) I will surely go. Shouldn't everyone make the decisions for themselves? Who's anybody to decide for me? I won't go to see new Star Trek nor Bond anymore. My choice. Being honest I must admit that I'm little curious about next Star Wars:) And anyway, the albums and the great footage is still there. A great new Kissperience for me? Hope so. Ugh!
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

One of them should sing lead with Paul to fill in the holes, that would make a world of difference.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Well, we've had the shit show already this tour, and the nutters went wild. They wait for this show each tour to justify their hate. Now all we need is the poorly attended show(there will be one as every band save the U2's, AC DC's and Meteallica's have at least a couple each tour)and they'll pounce once again. KISS 1973-2013.
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

Why doesn't Paul make adjustments to sound better instead of trying to scream his way out of it?

Singers make adjustments all the time, he just keeps screaming.
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

I thought Paul pretty good on "Psycho Circus".
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

Trance wrote:I thought Paul pretty good on "Psycho Circus".
Ditto, and after listening to the full Stockholm audio I'm not nearly as disappointed as some on this board seem to be.
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

Even though Paul can't sing anymore, Kiss is still ten times more fun to watch than the other bands out there.

Compared to the Kiss of 73-95, sure it's pretty lame, but boy do they still put on a great show.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

[quote="wezze"]Even though Paul can't sing anymore, Kiss is still ten times more fun to watch than the other bands out there.

Compared to the Kiss of 73-95, sure it's pretty lame, but boy do they still put on a great show.[/quote]

You like the SHOW over the music. That's just fucking beyond sad........
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

[quote="Tommyr"]You like the SHOW over the music. That's just fucking beyond sad........[/quote]

He didn't say that.

But to be fair, what's wrong with liking the show over the music? Plenty of times between 1996 and 2000, I felt that way.
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

[quote="OblitzO"]I saw them recently in Perth and had a great time! Paul sounded rrough but no-one seemed to really notice. The
Press was positive to. It saddens me to say but if they're getting press that bad then maybe it is time to stop.[/quote]

They got bad press in 1974.
metallian
Banned

Post by metallian »

[quote="lespaul"]emberassing. slow tempos,bad vocals and pyro very other second to mask the musical limitations. they never had that much pyro before.saw them in 2010,had a good time for most of the show,but i wanted the show to end after a while. not only do they sound bad,but also the show is boring. EEEEENNNNDDD ITTT NOW:) way overdue[/quote]

If you want it to end there's a simple solution -- don't go to any more shows.
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

[quote="Pollux"][quote="Tommyr"][quote="Pieter Kriss"][quote="1000000-2-1"][quote="Pollux"]One bad show? Big deal. Stockholm was pretty good for starters and Helsinki was great. Also the reviews about the show in Helsinki were great.[/quote]

[color=#00FF40]Yes.
Helsinki was AMAZING!!![/color][/quote]

XAIQq88wBQc

Paul Stanley has been reduced to talking his way through Detroit Rock City for Christ's sake. but seeing them on stage today is embarrassing.[/quote]

Agreed. Paul doesn't know when to pull the plug. It's sad really.[/quote]

With all the respect perhaps you don't know when to pull the plug.

I know the issues. I have made my bed. I will see Kiss at kruise. Quite exciting! I will go to see them at least once or twice more. If they can come up with what they delivered in Helsinki (for me) I will surely go. Shouldn't everyone make the decisions for themselves? Who's anybody to decide for me? I won't go to see new Star Trek nor Bond anymore. My choice. Being honest I must admit that I'm little curious about next Star Wars:) And anyway, the albums and the great footage is still there. A great new Kissperience for me? Hope so. Ugh![/quote]

Good for you, bro! See you in October. Glad Helsinki was a blast!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

_aa13H6R2qQ