Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

User avatar
timstar78
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 16393
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:51 pm
Location: California

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by timstar78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

Review: KISS bring intimacy to 13,000 fans at Etihad Stadium show in Melbourne
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 6591154027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

THERE aren't many who've been intimate with 13,000 people. Unless you're Ron Jeremy.

But for US rock band Kiss bigger has always been better and playing to 13,000 fans at Etihad Stadium is classified as being in 'intimate' mode.

Melbourne is Kiss HQ in Australia and the band and the Kiss Army know it.

One thing has changed since the last time they addressed the local chapter of the Army - a new Kiss album.

However so loyal are Kiss fans even the dreaded "here's one from the latest record" introduction only provokes a mild exodus to the bar.

Otherwise they deliver exactly what the fans want - Kiss klassics Shout It Out Loud, Detroit Rock City, I Love it Loud, I Was Made for Loving You, Lick It Up, Love Gun, Rock and Roll All Night - and the obligatory fire-breathing, blood spurting and flying guitarists. And lots and lots of pyro.

The setlist has changed slightly since their Perth and Adelaide shows - with 70s fave Christine Sixteen and 80s hit Crazy Crazy Nights in the mix, the latter with a rare mistake from the band.

Alas Melbourne missed out on Shandi, the soft rocker that was only a massive hit in Australia - boo.

If you want to see genuine devotion that spans generations - and tips on making millions through merchandise - you must see Kiss at least once.

'Kiss' onstage during their Melbourne concert at Etihad Stadium. Picture: Ian Currie

And credit to feathered frontman Paul Stanley's surgeon - since his double hip replacement the 61 year old is busting some serious rock yoga moves.

And Stanley's still got some of the most amusing between song banter in rock, dusting off his old favorite

"Australia has always welcomed us with open arms... and open legs."

And when Stanley says "we want to take a picture with you" the audience don't charge $1500 like the band did as part of their VIP packages.

Warming the stage for Kiss, Motley Crüe pulled out their usual hits and tricks with a few additions.

Tommy Lee performed his upside down drumming stunt whilst playing along to Skrillex. Now a DJ, Lee gave the rock loving audience possibly their first taste of dubstep.

And with near naked women half their age gyrating on stage and constant cursing the band gave the large number of kids present an early lesson in anatomy and salty language.

Tickets are still available for the final Melbourne show at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.

The tour visits Sydney on Saturday and Sunday and Brisbane on Tuesday.

Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22820
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am

Nice to see Black Diamond close (unless it actually was IWMFLY)...don't think it has closed since Tiger Stadium.

User avatar
kissjrj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10355
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Shout Mercy!!!

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by kissjrj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:03 pm

What the pluck? It looks like the feathers are staying on for good.

User avatar
kissjrj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10355
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Shout Mercy!!!

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by kissjrj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm

The Spaceman and his Spacewoman before last night's show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
shupey
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5312
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Outside Jennifer Love Hewitt's house

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by shupey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 pm

cwr18 wrote:
Admin wrote:Shandi also dropped and RARAN not performed as final song (Thanks Kiss Army Australia).
3 shows; three setlists. :)
:cheers:

heart_of_chrome
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8736
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by heart_of_chrome » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm

So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.

Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22820
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 pm

heart_of_chrome wrote:So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.
Kind of surprised they did that with a 3rd Monster song, considering this pretty much is still basically the start of the Monster Tour. Listening to the reports though it doesn't sound like the new stuff went down that great (same as in South America) so I guess they'd rather just cut the dead weight and play something that draws a stronger reaction.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that they dropped Shandi.

User avatar
HOFCity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4768
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Westerville, OH
Contact:

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by HOFCity » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.
Kind of surprised they did that with a 3rd Monster song, considering this pretty much is still basically the start of the Monster Tour. Listening to the reports though it doesn't sound like the new stuff went down that great (same as in South America) so I guess they'd rather just cut the dead weight and play something that draws a stronger reaction.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that they dropped Shandi.
Crap.... could they look at these poor reactions to Monster songs and say to themselves - - - why bother recording anymore new material :(

heart_of_chrome
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8736
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by heart_of_chrome » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.
Kind of surprised they did that with a 3rd Monster song, considering this pretty much is still basically the start of the Monster Tour. Listening to the reports though it doesn't sound like the new stuff went down that great (same as in South America) so I guess they'd rather just cut the dead weight and play something that draws a stronger reaction.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that they dropped Shandi.
Yeah. But what do they expect? That the new songs are already as well known as Rock And Roll All Nite? I guess nobody expects them to play 10 songs off of Monster (everybody was surprised that they even played five songs in South America) but at least have the decency to keep three songs of the album in there if you're doing an album tour. If Wall of Sound doesn't go over well, at least try something else from Monster. Eat Your Heart Out would probably be more well-received than Wall of Sound.

User avatar
shupey
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5312
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Outside Jennifer Love Hewitt's house

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by shupey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:13 pm

All For The Love of R&R would give Eric another vocal or Take Me Down Below gives Paul a little break and is just cheesy/sleazy enough to work (IMHO anyway)

Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22820
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm

heart_of_chrome wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.
Kind of surprised they did that with a 3rd Monster song, considering this pretty much is still basically the start of the Monster Tour. Listening to the reports though it doesn't sound like the new stuff went down that great (same as in South America) so I guess they'd rather just cut the dead weight and play something that draws a stronger reaction.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that they dropped Shandi.
Yeah. But what do they expect? That the new songs are already as well known as Rock And Roll All Nite? I guess nobody expects them to play 10 songs off of Monster (everybody was surprised that they even played five songs in South America) but at least have the decency to keep three songs of the album in there if you're doing an album tour. If Wall of Sound doesn't go over well, at least try something else from Monster. Eat Your Heart Out would probably be more well-received than Wall of Sound.
I agree, if you're going out on a tour to promote the new album you promote the new album. Three new songs should be the bare minimum bands put into the set when they're touring to promote the new material. While we look at two songs and think that that's a low number of new songs to have in the set it could be worse, 2009 after Sonic Boom was released Modern Day Delilah was still the only new song in the set and that was a month or so after the album was released (they dropped Say Yeah, which re-appeared later on that year...then again that wasn't a properly named 'Sonic Boom' tour.)

I don't know if Eat Your Heart Out would have been received better than Wall of Sound, I think Wall was receiving rave reviews from critics and this board when it was first made available. I also agree with you here, if they don't think Wall is getting a strong enough reaction they should try another new one in its place, I think Back To The Stone Age would come across really well live...or even go with Devil Is Me. Even go with AFTLORNR, that's a song that a lot people pegged as a favorite.

I don't get what KISS' deal is with the new material, going off of memory of what Paul said onstage last Fall in South America ("Can we do another off of Monster? ... ...well, we're going to do it anyway")...he might assume that people were in love with the material and dying to hear it live. Getting discouraged over a lack of reaction isn't any reason to drop a brand new song, it's to be expected, they're a nostalgia group now.

heart_of_chrome
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8736
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by heart_of_chrome » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:So it seems they keep rotating one song every night like they did on the US leg last summer. That's a cool thing. Unfortunately, they do that with the third song from Monster.
Kind of surprised they did that with a 3rd Monster song, considering this pretty much is still basically the start of the Monster Tour. Listening to the reports though it doesn't sound like the new stuff went down that great (same as in South America) so I guess they'd rather just cut the dead weight and play something that draws a stronger reaction.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that they dropped Shandi.
Yeah. But what do they expect? That the new songs are already as well known as Rock And Roll All Nite? I guess nobody expects them to play 10 songs off of Monster (everybody was surprised that they even played five songs in South America) but at least have the decency to keep three songs of the album in there if you're doing an album tour. If Wall of Sound doesn't go over well, at least try something else from Monster. Eat Your Heart Out would probably be more well-received than Wall of Sound.
I agree, if you're going out on a tour to promote the new album you promote the new album. Three new songs should be the bare minimum bands put into the set when they're touring to promote the new material. While we look at two songs and think that that's a low number of new songs to have in the set it could be worse, 2009 after Sonic Boom was released Modern Day Delilah was still the only new song in the set and that was a month or so after the album was released (they dropped Say Yeah, which re-appeared later on that year...then again that wasn't a properly named 'Sonic Boom' tour.)

I don't know if Eat Your Heart Out would have been received better than Wall of Sound, I think Wall was receiving rave reviews from critics and this board when it was first made available. I also agree with you here, if they don't think Wall is getting a strong enough reaction they should try another new one in its place, I think Back To The Stone Age would come across really well live...or even go with Devil Is Me. Even go with AFTLORNR, that's a song that a lot people pegged as a favorite.

I don't get what KISS' deal is with the new material, going off of memory of what Paul said onstage last Fall in South America ("Can we do another off of Monster? ... ...well, we're going to do it anyway")...he might assume that people were in love with the material and dying to hear it live. Getting discouraged over a lack of reaction isn't any reason to drop a brand new song, it's to be expected, they're a nostalgia group now.

Yup, I see it the same way. I understand how they only played MDD off of Sonic Boom in the beginning, since, as you said, it was not yet a proper SB Tour. Technically, it was still Alive/35. I'd say the release date didn't fit with the tour and not vice versa.

I understand that they dropped Long Way Down, Paul could hardly sing it and it is not really a live party song anyway (unlike Eat Your Heart Out or Back To The Stone Age - both would have worked imo). Also, they should have kept AFTLORAR, it is a really groovy tune that gives you a positive vibe and the shows would benefit from that.

All their touring and release schedules have been weird over the last four or five years. Some of the setlist choices and changes as well.

Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22820
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 pm

heart_of_chrome wrote:All their touring and release schedules have been weird over the last four or five years.
I view it as them doubling down on the money they pull in. If you think about it, for Sonic Boom and Monster they have received the green light for TWO North American tours per record. Arenas in 2009 for Sonic Boom under the Alive/35 moniker pre-release, amphitheaters in 2010 under a more proper 'Sonic Boom' moniker (yes I know, the words 'Sonic Boom' weren't in the tour name.) For Monster, amphitheaters in 2012 to promote the new single and get the word out for the upcoming new record, arenas (supposedly) in 2013 to actual promote the released songs
Some of the setlist choices and changes as well.
There's only really a handful of setlist choices/changes that I would call bizarre since 2009.

2009: Dropping Say Yeah after debuting it live was a dumb decision, personally I really wanted to hear that one live...
2010: The decision to keep Crazy Nights in the set for the US tour, I understand why they'd play it in Europe but keeping it on for HSOE I'd consider strange. Oh, throw in bringing back Beth mid-year, I found that weird considering both Paul & Gene don't like the song.
2012: Bringing back War Machine and Psycho Circus out of nowhere, it's cool to have them in the set but it's still a headscratcher on why they came back.
2013: Dropping Wall of Sound, bringing back Crazy Nights, and dropping Shandi (in the one country it's considered a hit) I would consider bizarre.

heart_of_chrome
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8736
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by heart_of_chrome » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:All their touring and release schedules have been weird over the last four or five years.
I view it as them doubling down on the money they pull in. If you think about it, for Sonic Boom and Monster they have received the green light for TWO North American tours per record. Arenas in 2009 for Sonic Boom under the Alive/35 moniker pre-release, amphitheaters in 2010 under a more proper 'Sonic Boom' moniker (yes I know, the words 'Sonic Boom' weren't in the tour name.) For Monster, amphitheaters in 2012 to promote the new single and get the word out for the upcoming new record, arenas (supposedly) in 2013 to actual promote the released songs
Never thought about it that way. You are right, they basically had two tours for every album. For Sonic Boom, you could almost say they had three since there was the Lost Cities Tour in 2011. But we'll see how many Monster songs there will be left when they hit North America again.


Do you think there is a chance that some of the dropped Monster songs might return for the Euro leg? I have the feeling that since Kiss skipped Australia for the (real) Alive/35 tour and the Sonic Boom tour that they just might give them more or less of a best of set right now because they haven't been there for a long time anyway. Europe was really the only leg that got the real Alive/35 setlist with shows covering all of Alive! and shows still having 12 of 15 songs in there. By the time they hit the US, the setlist changed drastically. And then you had the Sonic Boom Over Europe Tour; the only tour name actually including the album with 21 songs; three off of Monster, Crazy Nights, the return of Beth etc. So I hope and guess that by the time they hit Europe in May/June, their set and show for the Monster Tour might be more polished and maybe see a return of AFTLORAR and WoS.


Anomaly wrote:
Some of the setlist choices and changes as well.
There's only really a handful of setlist choices/changes that I would call bizarre since 2009.

2009: Dropping Say Yeah after debuting it live was a dumb decision, personally I really wanted to hear that one live...
2010: The decision to keep Crazy Nights in the set for the US tour, I understand why they'd play it in Europe but keeping it on for HSOE I'd consider strange. Oh, throw in bringing back Beth mid-year, I found that weird considering both Paul & Gene don't like the song.
2012: Bringing back War Machine and Psycho Circus out of nowhere, it's cool to have them in the set but it's still a headscratcher on why they came back.
2013: Dropping Wall of Sound, bringing back Crazy Nights, and dropping Shandi (in the one country it's considered a hit) I would consider bizarre.
Valid points. I'm definitely surprised that they brought back War Machine and Psycho Circus but I hope they will survive the Euro tour in May. I haven't heard them play those songs live before. And leave in God of Thunder. It's the "true" blood-spitting song and I haven't heard that one either.

User avatar
steveh67
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3270
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by steveh67 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I hope they do crazy nights in Sydney.

Monster bombed here, so why the complaining about dropping the live tracks from it.

As some said they heard, people attending want 'hits'

They are not playing to majority of die-hard fans. The concert goers are there to see hits and the show only.

User avatar
Reverend Colonel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am
Location: The Heart of the Appalachian Coal Fields

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Reverend Colonel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Anomaly wrote:Nice to see Black Diamond close (unless it actually was IWMFLY)...don't think it has closed since Tiger Stadium.


As I recall, it closed at the next show in Louisville, as well.

Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 22820
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm

heart_of_chrome wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
heart_of_chrome wrote:All their touring and release schedules have been weird over the last four or five years.
I view it as them doubling down on the money they pull in. If you think about it, for Sonic Boom and Monster they have received the green light for TWO North American tours per record. Arenas in 2009 for Sonic Boom under the Alive/35 moniker pre-release, amphitheaters in 2010 under a more proper 'Sonic Boom' moniker (yes I know, the words 'Sonic Boom' weren't in the tour name.) For Monster, amphitheaters in 2012 to promote the new single and get the word out for the upcoming new record, arenas (supposedly) in 2013 to actual promote the released songs
Never thought about it that way. You are right, they basically had two tours for every album. For Sonic Boom, you could almost say they had three since there was the Lost Cities Tour in 2011. But we'll see how many Monster songs there will be left when they hit North America again.
Wouldn't really consider the 2011 leg as a 3rd North American tour, 2009 and 2010 they hit the same primary markets, 2011 they were hitting "lost cities" as in cities they don't visit often.

I see Hell or Hallelujah and Outta This World remaining as the two Monster songs left by the time they return to North America. Hell or Hallelujah is this record's Modern Day Delilah, it will stick around into 2014 even after the Monster Tour has concluded. Outta This World will remain in the set because it doesn't matter what song is in that position since that's the guitar solo/drum solo spot now. The fans on The Tour I noticed didn't react to Shock Me but to what came after Shock Me, like Outta This World, the fans won't react to the actual song but they'll certainly react to the 'jam session' after it.
Do you think there is a chance that some of the dropped Monster songs might return for the Euro leg? I have the feeling that since Kiss skipped Australia for the (real) Alive/35 tour and the Sonic Boom tour that they just might give them more or less of a best of set right now because they haven't been there for a long time anyway. Europe was really the only leg that got the real Alive/35 setlist with shows covering all of Alive! and shows still having 12 of 15 songs in there. By the time they hit the US, the setlist changed drastically. And then you had the Sonic Boom Over Europe Tour; the only tour name actually including the album with 21 songs; three off of Monster, Crazy Nights, the return of Beth etc. So I hope and guess that by the time they hit Europe in May/June, their set and show for the Monster Tour might be more polished and maybe see a return of AFTLORAR and WoS.


I think this is about it for the Monster songs for the rest of the tour, I don't see Wall of Sound returning to its original position but I see a rotating song position taking its place. Could Wall of Sound return in that position? In rotation, I don't see it coming back permanently. What I'd do is I would take out I Love It Loud and put War Machine as the blood-spitting song (that'd be new), put Wall of Sound back in the set, and keep that rotating spot in the main set. Everybody's happy.
Anomaly wrote:
Some of the setlist choices and changes as well.
There's only really a handful of setlist choices/changes that I would call bizarre since 2009.

2009: Dropping Say Yeah after debuting it live was a dumb decision, personally I really wanted to hear that one live...
2010: The decision to keep Crazy Nights in the set for the US tour, I understand why they'd play it in Europe but keeping it on for HSOE I'd consider strange. Oh, throw in bringing back Beth mid-year, I found that weird considering both Paul & Gene don't like the song.
2012: Bringing back War Machine and Psycho Circus out of nowhere, it's cool to have them in the set but it's still a headscratcher on why they came back.
2013: Dropping Wall of Sound, bringing back Crazy Nights, and dropping Shandi (in the one country it's considered a hit) I would consider bizarre.
Valid points. I'm definitely surprised that they brought back War Machine and Psycho Circus but I hope they will survive the Euro tour in May. I haven't heard them play those songs live before. And leave in God of Thunder. It's the "true" blood-spitting song and I haven't heard that one either.
War Machine and Psycho Circus I am confident will remain in the set, I didn't think War Machine would make it to South America and it did...now that it's made it to Australia (PC too) I'd be dumbfounded if they dropped those two for Europe. While God of Thunder hasn't been a set mainstay as of late (going unperformed on a full tour from 2004-2010) I'd keep it out.

Personally this would be my set for Europe, feel free to tell me your thoughts on it.

1. Detroit Rock City
2. Shout It Out Loud
3. Calling Dr. Love
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. All For The Love of Rock 'n Roll
6. [Christine Sixteen, Strutter, Deuce, C'Mon And Love Me, Got To Choose, Do You Love Me?]
7. Hell or Hallelujah
8. Wall of Sound
9. Psycho Circus
10. Outta This World (w/Guitar + Drum Solo)
11. Crazy Crazy Nights
12. War Machine (w/Blood)
13. Love Gun
14. Rock And Roll All Nite
------------------------------
15. I Was Made For Loving You
16. God Gave Rock 'n Roll To You
17. Black Diamond
Reverend Colonel wrote:
Anomaly wrote:Nice to see Black Diamond close (unless it actually was IWMFLY)...don't think it has closed since Tiger Stadium.


As I recall, it closed at the next show in Louisville, as well.
Ah, that's correct...it closed for the first five Reunion shows.

User avatar
croarg74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by croarg74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Whoever decided they should have this gig at Etihad Stadium should be shot and pissed on. Terrible acoustics for live music. Then again, I was in the upper and tonight I'm on the floor so we'll see if there's a difference. The way they have configured the place completely kills the atmosphere. It holds 55,000 but 2/3 of it is curtained off. Probably around 10-12k last night in attendence.

A few notes :

While Paul is singing better, he's still struggling as a vocalist. As they show went on, he started to croak, crack and sounded weak, even during talking.
A few fuck ups, mostly Eric Singer during Crazy, Crazy Nights and RARAN. Gene was pissed.
Crazy, Crazy Nights does NOT work live. It sounded terrible. I was hoping for Wall Of Sound.
War Machine and I Love It Loud have no balls live. Drop ILIL and bring in GOT.
Worst version of IWMFLY ever. It's garbage as it is but last night it barely had a pulse. Paul struggled during this.
Thayer shows up on time and says yes all the time but that's about it. Zero stage presence, charisma and feel.
Gene sounded pretty good. He he brings it every night and is singing great.
The stage setup for both bands is awesome.
For me the star of the night was Mick Mars. He's at death's door but he kills it.
Motley, who are one of my 3 fave bands (along with Kiss and VH) need to call it a day. Tired, uninspired and going through the motions.
I thought Motley 'sounded' better considering the acoustics of the place.

Why they keep booking rock shows here is puzzling. The vibe is non-existent. I was in the upper section last night and I have free tix tonight on the floor so will be interesting to compare sound.

As much as I don't agree with alot of what goes on in Kissland these days, it's still great to go see a spectacle and Kiss does that really well. The lighting, stage and pyro are fucking great. Some stuff sounded really good like Black Diamond - Eric sounded great and was great to hear Christine Sixteen and some stuff sounded terrible.

It is what is is. Kiss ain't what they used to be but it's a fun night out nevertheless.

Trance
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3041
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Trance » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Gene can't learn new songs ... he even said "Wall Of Sound" was the KISS 2012 sound.

This is what happens when you write lyrics as you are singing them.

Remove the "Monster" from the posters and just do a damn "40th" tour.

User avatar
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by AstroWarped » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Cool to see they are swapping out tunes in the set-list.
Though it would be nice if they tried their very rare & demo tunes as well, once in a while!

It's like the band has become totally sissy, unlike the band as it was according to Ace's "No Regrets", book I am
reading now.

Back then Kiss was not afraid to constantly play tunes no one has ever heard before, now they act very
timid about it. Sigh.

It feels like Gene is so tight, with the business-like angle now that the Creativity & Daring-do of the songs & theatrical stage show has to
go through this silly business-model filter first. Thus we get the watered down, stale-ness that results now with the shows. Sigh.

mrkiss
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by mrkiss » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUyjfKu51M
my footage from CHRISTEEN SIXTEEN hope im in the right section first time poster here :P

User avatar
sakke72
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Hyvinkää Rock City, Finland

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by sakke72 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

This changing the setlists is very interesting. I don`t see God Gave in the setlist in Europe, it is not so important song for European fans, we are more 80`s KISS people here. Also Gene`s "flying" song should be God Of Thunder, they have already used I Love It Loud for so many times here. Both songs are in the setlist, I am sure and also War Machine. Crazy Crazy Nights is a little question mark, it is big song for European fans. I would like to hear Wall Of Sound and they will add that and I guess they will play 3-4 songs from Monster here in Europe.

novacide
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: outer space

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by novacide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't know why "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" is listed as the final song.
It just plays over the loudspeaker at the end.

heart_of_chrome
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8736
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by heart_of_chrome » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm

[quote="Anomaly"]
Personally this would be my set for Europe, feel free to tell me your thoughts on it.

1. Detroit Rock City
2. Shout It Out Loud
3. Calling Dr. Love
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. All For The Love of Rock 'n Roll
6. [Christine Sixteen, Strutter, Deuce, C'Mon And Love Me, Got To Choose, Do You Love Me?]
7. Hell or Hallelujah
8. Wall of Sound
9. Psycho Circus
10. Outta This World (w/Guitar + Drum Solo)
11. Crazy Crazy Nights
12. War Machine (w/Blood)
13. Love Gun
14. Rock And Roll All Nite
------------------------------
15. I Was Made For Loving You
16. God Gave Rock 'n Roll To You
17. Black Diamond
[/quote]
Yes, this looks like a good set and a set they should consider. Things would be shaken up in the middle and also in the obvious end of the set. They had the same encores for about six years now. AFTLORAR I think would be received well over here, just like Crazy Night it is a cheerful song with a nice hookline. I just wouldn't play the four Monster songs (almost) one after another because that would probably kill the good mood. Maybe open with HOH, put Love Gun in its spot and play DRC as 13th song.

User avatar
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Shane_Penney » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Any 17 song setlist with Ladies Room will suffice.

User avatar
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by Shane_Penney » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 pm

1. Detroit Rock City
2. Deuce
3. Calling Dr. Love
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. All For The Love of Rock 'n Roll
6. Ladies Room
7. Hell or Hallelujah
8. Wall of Sound
9. Psycho Circus
10. Outta This World (w/Guitar + Drum Solo)
11. War Machine
12. God of Thunder (w/Blood)
13. Love Gun
14. Rock And Roll All Nite
------------------------------
15. Shout it out Loud
16. Hard Luck Woman
17. Black Diamond

User avatar
awawaw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:11 pm

Re: Aussie Monster #3: Melbourne, 3/5/13

Post by awawaw » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 pm

from the Destroyer zone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply