7/4/12 - Forum, London, England

KIDGEO3
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: 7/4/12 - Forum, London, England

Post by KIDGEO3 »

That sounded great!!!!! Thanks for posting!
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Pretty brutal review from the London Evening Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/music/ki ... rnalSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On reflection I feel a bit deflated after the show. Last night was an opportunity for some fanservice with a setlist shakeup, so yet another set of the tired old "classics" felt like a bit of a kick in the spuds. At this stage it feels like they're coasting their way to retirement in the safest, most conservative way possible with no risks or surprises. A gig like this should've been a love letter to their most loyal fans, not an autopilot cruise through the best of Kiss. Only 14 songs and they were out of there.

And that's sad. Especially when you're stood in tropical heat conditions, to the tune of £100 (about $150 USD) for two tickets and you're watching them literally plod their way through Love Gun.

I left during Black Diamond because the heat was unbearable, and also couldn't face sitting through the inevitable encore of Crazy Nights/Lick It Up/Rock And Roll All Night.

Definitely my final Kiss concert after seeing them many times since the early 80s. The magic has gone for me. They did sound good and put on a slick show, but the songs are just stale now.
phoenixphil
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by phoenixphil »

I thought it was great .. not as magical or surreal as the islington show BUT a damn good entertaining time.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

Pretty brutal review from the London Evening Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/music/ki ... rnalSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I prefer the anonymous response. I don't mind due bad reviews if they're done with due dilligence, but that one was just grumpy and bitter.

Seriously, if anyone is expecting anything different from a Kiss show these days, they're mad. Just what are they expecting on "The Tour?" That whole setup is a "Greatest Hits" tour, a summer cash grab, and nothing more. It's build up the pot 'o cash before the end because once they're done archival stuff and catalog sales isn't going do it. I think people, particularly those who participate on message boards online and have no excuse for ignorance, simply need to (if they are) go to the show and enjoy the show for what it is, what it was, not what it could be in their minds. You never know when *YOUR* last chance to go Kiss show might be...
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

[quote="Admin"]

Seriously, if anyone is expecting anything different from a Kiss show these days, they're mad. [/quote]

I thought it was reasonable to expect a setlist similar to the Kruise last night, no?
sakke72
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by sakke72 »

This journalist has already the attitude that Kiss is shitty band and it is not worth of listening. He definetely does not know anything about Kiss history and maybe he did not get free lunch from Kiss or free drinks and he is soooo bitter. Well this kind of reviews about Kiss are usual from British journalists, who still live in the past and think that UK is still the greatest rock country. England specially as a rock country is a joke nowadays, look at their charts and where is the next big English rock band??? Also this guy should make reviews for Rolling Stone magazines, that magazine hates Kiss already, so maybe he could get job from there.
OHKISSFAN
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by OHKISSFAN »

Admin wrote:
Seriously, if anyone is expecting anything different from a Kiss show these days, they're mad. Just what are they expecting on "The Tour?" That whole setup is a "Greatest Hits" tour, a summer cash grab, and nothing more. It's build up the pot 'o cash before the end because once they're done archival stuff and catalog sales isn't going do it. I think people, particularly those who participate on message boards online and have no excuse for ignorance, simply need to (if they are) go to the show and enjoy the show for what it is, what it was, not what it could be in their minds. You never know when *YOUR* last chance to go Kiss show might be...

^^^^^
SPOT ON!!!
Liveshowz
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Liveshowz »

[quote="Admin"][quote]Pretty brutal review from the London Evening Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/music/ki ... rnalSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

I prefer the anonymous response. I don't mind due bad reviews if they're done with due dilligence, but that one was just grumpy and bitter.

Seriously, if anyone is expecting anything different from a Kiss show these days, they're mad. Just what are they expecting on "The Tour?" That whole setup is a "Greatest Hits" tour, a summer cash grab, and nothing more. It's build up the pot 'o cash before the end because once they're done archival stuff and catalog sales isn't going do it. I think people, particularly those who participate on message boards online and have no excuse for ignorance, simply need to (if they are) go to the show and enjoy the show for what it is, what it was, not what it could be in their minds. You never know when *YOUR* last chance to go Kiss show might be...[/quote]

Yup.. I did that and had a blast.. And got some bonus as well....
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Pretty brutal review from the London Evening Standard:

"I left during Black Diamond because the heat was unbearable, and also couldn't face sitting through the inevitable encore of Crazy Nights/Lick It Up/Rock And Roll All Night".

Inevitable? When was the last time that Crazy Nights was an encore?
elagpa
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by elagpa »

Another clip from HoH

Cfo0hkrbw6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Anomaly »

[quote="gshaller"][quote="Anomaly"][quote="gshaller"]Anomaly, do you scrutinize reunion era concerts as much?[/quote]

If it sounds bad I'll say it sounds bad. I wasn't expecting '77 in '96, Ace never was a technical virtuoso and Peter at least kept time, he didn't have any of the flash he had before but he wasn't making songs unenjoyable for me. Hearing this singing coming in over the PA's not going to make me a happy camper, after I go see them, meh I could care less how he does in concert seeing how this year will be my last time seeing them. Let's just put it this way, in 2009 Paul's voice was just a minor annoyance for me, since then his voice has taken a nosedive South and it'll probably be a bigger distraction. As for Peter missing a couple cues and just keeping time in the Reunion era, didn't bother me one bit because it didn't screw up an entire concert like some people claim. As for Ace not hitting every single solo 100%, wasn't expecting him too, he wasn't the most precise guitarist in the 70's so why would I be expecting it all of a sudden? He may have flubbed a couple notes but it didn't bother me at all, if you're looking for precision musicianship in a live group you're looking at the wrong band. Besides, Ace's fuck-ups also didn't derail a concert as badly as some people like to think.[/quote]

So... no?[/quote]

No, I [i]completely[/i] shut myself out to the problems. Just like you nowadays right? ;)

[quote]See only a shit like you is going to go verse by verse and pick out all the missed notes by Paul.[/quote]

Considering I was posting while watching the clips and posting 'live thoughts' it made plenty sense why my 'review' was worded as is Grumpy.