"The Tour" Show 1: 7/20/12 - Bristow, VA

timstar78
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: "The Tour" Show 1: 7/20/12 - Bristow, VA

Post by timstar78 »

A view of the Motley stage:

Video of Motley starting to trickle in:

Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

Damn, both bands have an excellent light show.

EDIT: Now THAT'S an EXCELLENT stage. :shock:
Last edited by Anomaly on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigdaddyb
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by bigdaddyb »

gshaller wrote:
bigdaddyb wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:
gshaller wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:
gshaller wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:Any word on the setlist?
No "Odyssey." I have this on good authority.
I'm hearing "Boomerang" though. We'll see if that's just a rumor though :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rumor... threat... it's such a fine line. :D

Incidentally, my wife said she liked the song "Boomerang" when recently I dusted off that CD for a car ride.
Have I mentioned that she's not really a KISS fan?
Hah! Oh what a fine line it is....

And really? I don't think i've ever met anyone who has had a good thing to say about No, No No II, I meant Boomerang

ok, I expect a beating here but, (sigh).........I like Boomerang
ok, there I said it.
That's OK. I like BBB from "Animalize!"
love that too LMAO....only 2 songs I don't care for are Mr Blackwell and Killer
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Vandelay Industries »

my friend ended up going to the show tonight.....apparently there was a markdown on some tix for walkups (or something like that), and he ended up "only" paying $100 for a $150 ticket. sent me a bunch of footage from his phone....the presentation looks pretty colorful, but i wasn't wowed in a "holy shit, i've. gotta. see. this. now!" kind of way. when i talk to him tomorrow, maybe his review will make me reserve final judgement, since he's usually pretty reliable about that kind of info. i noticed the guitars seemed tuned down just a tad, but it actually sounded pretty natural.....

anyway, whoever went & had a good time, glad you did....
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

Vandelay Industries wrote:my friend ended up going to the show tonight.....apparently there was a markdown on some tix for walkups (or something like that), and he ended up "only" paying $100 for a $150 ticket. sent me a bunch of footage from his phone....the presentation looks pretty colorful, but i wasn't wowed in a "holy shit, i've. gotta. see. this. now!" kind of way. when i talk to him tomorrow, maybe his review will make me reserve final judgement, since he's usually pretty reliable about that kind of info. i noticed the guitars seemed tuned down just a tad, but it actually sounded pretty natural.....

Good stuff 8)
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

kissthat wrote:THANKS for the review Diss

75 minutes ? That's bullshit.They've billed this as 90 minutes each band and if anything needs cutting,the opener should be dropped where Crue/KISS have time for their full 3 hours.
I attended opening night of the AeroKISS tour and I think 'Smith had a shorter set because KISS ran a bit long. Seems like the kinda thing that gets worked out.
timstar78

Post by timstar78 »

More Motley:

timstar78

Post by timstar78 »

Snippet of DRC:

dute

Post by dute »

Diss, good review thanks for sharing your experience.
kissthat wrote:THANKS for the review Diss

75 minutes ? That's bullshit.They've billed this as 90 minutes each band and if anything needs cutting,the opener should be dropped where Crue/KISS have time for their full 3 hours.
I think the guys watched what happened to poor ol' Bruce Springsteen and didn't want their microphones cut mid-sentence. :lol:
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

gshaller wrote:
bigdaddyb wrote:this is what a friend had on his FB

Mötley Crüe - Saints of Los Angeles, Wild Side, Shout At The Devil, Same Old Situation, Looks That Kill, Don't Go Away Mad, Sex, Home Sweet Home, Primal Scream, Dr. Feelgood, Girls, Girls, Girls, & Kickstart My Heart.

KISS - Detroit Rock City, Shout It Out Loud, I Love It Loud, Love Gun, Firehouse, War Machine, Shock Me, Hell Or Hallelujah, God Of Thunder, Lick It Up, Black Diamond, & Rock & Roll All Nite.
"Lick it Up."
Who decided (Paul, I know) that this song is compulsory for setlist inclusion? Honestly, I really don't like it.
Like it or not, it's one of Kiss' most well known songs. In fact, with the exception of Rock and Roll All Nite, the Kiss song I hear most often on radio is Lick It Up. I think the song is more popular now than it was in 1983.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Jesus wept Vince Neil is a horrific vocalist. How the heck can anyone sit through that? Unbelievably bad.
KISS Unmasked II
Banned
Banned

Post by KISS Unmasked II »

Vandelay Industries wrote:my friend ended up going to the show tonight.....apparently there was a markdown on some tix for walkups (or something like that), and he ended up "only" paying $100 for a $150 ticket. sent me a bunch of footage from his phone....the presentation looks pretty colorful, but i wasn't wowed in a "holy shit, i've. gotta. see. this. now!" kind of way. when i talk to him tomorrow, maybe his review will make me reserve final judgement, since he's usually pretty reliable about that kind of info. i noticed the guitars seemed tuned down just a tad, but it actually sounded pretty natural.....

This sounds suspiciously like one of those stories where you don't want to admit it was you - "I've got this friend...let's call him John..."
:lol:
Wildwood75

Post by Wildwood75 »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote:Jesus wept Vince Neil is a horrific vocalist. How the heck can anyone sit through that? Unbelievably bad.

I saw Motley last summer and Vince literally sounded terrible. The rest of the band sounded great. God bless Mick Mars for getting up there in all the pain he is in. In all fairness, Vince is a fine frontman, but like David Lee Roth, never been much of a vocalist.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Motley's stage is fucked with it being off center and the giant screen behind them.

I think on other tours when everything was centered they'd curtain off the screen except for the rollercoaster hole.

Too many lights.
Wildwood75

Post by Wildwood75 »

Does anyone know if they are using a turnstile stage like they did with KISS/Aeromsith tour?

I would think they would have to with both bands large sets. Just wondering.
totiefields

Post by totiefields »

Homer Simpson wrote:
gshaller wrote:
bigdaddyb wrote:this is what a friend had on his FB

Mötley Crüe - Saints of Los Angeles, Wild Side, Shout At The Devil, Same Old Situation, Looks That Kill, Don't Go Away Mad, Sex, Home Sweet Home, Primal Scream, Dr. Feelgood, Girls, Girls, Girls, & Kickstart My Heart.

KISS - Detroit Rock City, Shout It Out Loud, I Love It Loud, Love Gun, Firehouse, War Machine, Shock Me, Hell Or Hallelujah, God Of Thunder, Lick It Up, Black Diamond, & Rock & Roll All Nite.
"Lick it Up."
Who decided (Paul, I know) that this song is compulsory for setlist inclusion? Honestly, I really don't like it.
Like it or not, it's one of Kiss' most well known songs. In fact, with the exception of Rock and Roll All Nite, the Kiss song I hear most often on radio is Lick It Up. I think the song is more popular now than it was in 1983.
I was going to post this as well.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

KISS Unmasked II wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like one of those stories where you don't want to admit it was you - "I've got this friend...let's call him John..."
:lol:
i live in south carolina....if things work out favorably, i'll get my opportunity next week. besides, with the possible exception of "the spaceship" (hampton coliseum), you couldn't pay me to see a show in virginia. some of the hassles i've seen people get into (people minding their own business, at that) from local law enforcement kinda puts a damper on things for me. i know, some people will say "what do you care....if you're not doing anything wrong, what's to worry about?". well, as an analogy, it'd be like if i was at a social gathering & my boss or regional manager happened to show up AND decided to sit near me. even if i wasn't doing anything wrong, i'd still feel....well, i'd probably enjoy myself a little more if he wasn't in my presence, y'know?

my friend is a casual fan....and as a casual fan, he was almost certain they'd play "christeen sixteen" :lol:

he was pleased with the show, but grumbled that they played "something like only 8 songs" (i know it was more like 12, but i got the gist of his point)....i guess we'll see in the coming days if it was a curfew thingy after all, or if it was just some lip service from the band....

edit: oh, and i've got to say.....from the footage i've watched, paul really needs to get a new outfit. he looks like he's wearing a sports bra, for gawdssakes.
Last edited by Vandelay Industries on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

Thanks for the review!

I am psyched to see it, myself.

I am especially looking forward to hearing the first chugging, blowingly loud riff of War Machine, once again, in a live setting.

Maybe by late August when I see em in St Louis, we'll have more fresh songs added. Love War Machine being added so far, though.

But from the sound of the reviews, I guess the Elder is gonna be left out, entirely, then? Not even Only You? WTF!
trip
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by trip »

What's up with the chairs right in front of the stage? I see this all the time when I look at pictures taken at concerts in the U.S. and it just seems weird to me. Are people actually sitting down when they're that close to the stage? I guess we do things differently in Europe...
butkus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by butkus »

Any video on YouTube?
LoveGun07

Post by LoveGun07 »

More vids from last night:

Rockandrolloverman

Thanks for the videos. 8)

As for the show being new/the same............
I think it sounds like its just enough new to bring out the diehards, and enough familiar to appease the casuals.

Now that you think it from a business sense, Gene and Paul realize, much better than we do, that it has to be a balance of both.
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

trip wrote:What's up with the chairs right in front of the stage? I see this all the time when I look at pictures taken at concerts in the U.S. and it just seems weird to me. Are people actually sitting down when they're that close to the stage? I guess we do things differently in Europe...
The amphitheaters here are built for many different types of concert...one night it might be KISS, the next night something like Adele or other "sit down" shows. (Plus they need to give us somewhere to sit our fat asses on between acts lol.) So the seats are rarely (in my experience) used by the audience down front. I do notice people sitting further back though...sometimes it may be a case of a partner or parent who is along for the ride, or it could be someone who won tickets and went just to have something to do (which is quite annoying). The number of passionate fans who are there to hear every note and experience every moment is far fewer than the number who are there to get drunk, play with their fucking phones, or just hang out.
Rockandrolloverman

I really am impressed by the screen and the graphics it has. The RARAN finale is really a spectacle.

The War Machine performance...............Killer!

I don't see how some have said that the MC show stands up to this in comparison, but, its all a matter of opinion. The KISS show looks to me to be more well designed and much more of a massive spectacle, overall.

UPon hearing it again, Hell or Hallelujah is SUCH a good song and sound great live. Love the slide Paul sneaks in there!

The shorter walls of video monitors out on each side of the staircases are also cool and help add to scope of the entire thing with even more going on to catch your eye, and the whole thing ends up looking so massive, not only in size and depth, but especially in width.

Great looking new stage production. :!:
LoveGun07

Post by LoveGun07 »

Rockandrolloverman wrote:Thanks for the videos. 8)

As for the show being new/the same............
I think it sounds like its just enough new to bring out the diehards, and enough familiar to appease the casuals.

Now that you think it from a business sense, Gene and Paul realize, much better than we do, that it has to be a balance of both.
You're welcome 8)

Yeah, I see a nice blend for the diehards and the casuals, in my opinion. Good setlist, and from those videos the performances are really tight.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

KISS studio albums (and songs performed from) represented in set (7/20 - 35%):
Kiss (2)
Dressed to Kill (1)
Destroyer (3)
Love Gun (2)
Creatures of the Night (2)
Lick It Up (1)
Monster (1)

Crue studio albums (and songs performed from) represented in set (5/9 - 56%):
Shout At The Devil (2)
Theatre of Pain (1)
Girls, Girls, Girls (2)
Dr. Feelgood (4)
Decade of Decedance (1)
Saints Of Los Angeles (1)
Non-Album (1)

So, what's this mean? Nothing at all. It's a greatest hits tour! I'd also say that most tours these days are "Greatest Hits" tours since artists certainly aren't making the $ they once did from albums and those have almost become secondary to the show or live performance revenues. And that's life...
drdelaware
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drdelaware »

I was at the show last night. Fun time. We had the 4 pack lawn seats for $16 a pop. Great value. Both bands were good, but nothing that I would have dropped $200 to sit in the pavilion for.
Ren5150
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ren5150 »

i filmed this last night....more pics and clips in my review thread....

LoveGun07

Post by LoveGun07 »

Ren5150 wrote:i filmed this last night....more pics and clips in my review thread....

Nice videos! Thanks
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by mrdeuce »

Good show last night. Loved the new set. I kind of wondered if KISS was going to lose out on some time when Crue finished at 9:26. KISS was scheduled for 9:45, and didn't go on until 10:01. There IS a curfew for most of these shed venues, so that wasn't just BS. I'm guessing "Deuce" was supposed to be played during the encore, if not one more between that and RARAN.

Fairly meat and potatoes set, but nice to hear one new song, and see War Machine back in there. That screen was pretty damn cool, and it made it real easy to see everything up close even though I was about 30 rows back. Paul sounds about the same as the last few tours, but it isn't as noticeable in the live setting as it is when you are watching YouTube vids or hearing live bootleg audio.

Went with a first-timer last night, and she thought KISS was pretty great, but preferred Crue. She knows all their songs, and had a leaning in that direction anyway. I was really impressed by Crue last night. I had seen them once before, prior to the Carnival Of Sins tour, and they were ok. Last night, a pretty cool set, great setlist, and plenty going on all over the stage. You can't say that they aren't giving KISS their best shot when they take the stage up there.

I REALLY would have loved to have seen slightly longer sets from both (especially KISS0, but it was a great show in spite of that. I hadn't planned on going to another show on this tour, but now we are talking about which show we want to take a road trip to see in August or September. It was a lot of fun.
Rockandrolloverman

Thanks for the review, and good video, Ren. Very clear and well done.
nightflight77

Post by nightflight77 »

Anomaly wrote:Damn, both bands have an excellent light show.

//????????
Last edited by nightflight77 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nightflight77

Post by nightflight77 »

00000????????
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

Did anyone else notice in RARAN that Paul is doing the bleeding amp effect? It doesn't look like the blood worked on the amp last night, but the screen graphics back it up.
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

nightflight77 wrote:

00000????????
0101010101?

01010. 0100000111101001110001000. 011100111011001111. 011001010!! 8)
Rockandrolloverman

mikeenc wrote:Did anyone else notice in RARAN that Paul is doing the bleeding amp effect? It doesn't look like the blood worked on the amp last night, but the screen graphics back it up.
I noticed him stabbing the left amp with the guitar. Was there blood supposed to come out?

Never heard of a bleeding amp effect.
Mulder

Post by Mulder »

Trance wrote:Motley's stage is fucked with it being off center and the giant screen behind them.

I think on other tours when everything was centered they'd curtain off the screen except for the rollercoaster hole.

Too many lights.

Too many lights ? You've seen the new Kiss set, right :lol:
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

How can you have too many lights? Bring that shit on.
mutton pie

Post by mutton pie »

Spirited
Location: In the Ace Avatar Bunker, planning world domination

Post by Spirited »

mutton pie wrote:Image

Jesus that looks ridiculous.
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Spirited wrote:

That is one isolated picture out of many. They can't all be flattering. He looks like he is starting to squat prior to going up, and the harness is more visible than normal. I think when Gene does the "flying" stunt the stage needs to be darker, to minimize the harness and rig wires. I really think it would be more effective.
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

Is it confirmed that the set is only 12 songs?
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

necronomicon wrote:Is it confirmed that the set is only 12 songs?
If they don't screw up the schedule and are able to get the last fifteen minutes in then there should be 14.
Spirited
Location: In the Ace Avatar Bunker, planning world domination

Post by Spirited »

Anomaly wrote:
If they don't screw up the schedule and are able to get the last fifteen minutes in then there should be 14.
Mikeenc posted his times he got from Live Nation for the show he is going to, Kiss is allotted 75 minutes in it too.
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

Spirited wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Mikeenc posted his times he got from Live Nation for the show he is going to, Kiss is allotted 75 minutes in it too.
Shit, minds as well have KISS go on first. The main headliner should never play a shorter set.
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

Rockandrolloverman wrote:
mikeenc wrote:Did anyone else notice in RARAN that Paul is doing the bleeding amp effect? It doesn't look like the blood worked on the amp last night, but the screen graphics back it up.
I noticed him stabbing the left amp with the guitar. Was there blood supposed to come out?

Paul has been asked in past interviews if there was an effect for him that was never used, and he has mentioned an idea of him stabbing an amp with a guitar and the amp bleeding. On the video screens, they were showing an amp grill that had blood running down it, so I'm guessing that is what is supposed to actually happen as well. (Maybe not...maybe he just stabs it and the screens represent the bleeding.) It's interesting though, because I've seen him speak about the effect and it was kind of an "eye-roll" situation, where he played it off as a rather silly idea...interesting that it's in there now.
ace's yamaka
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace's yamaka »

Spirited wrote:

Does Gene do a cherry pie eating contest during his solo now???
mutton pie

Post by mutton pie »

KISSTRONAUT wrote:
Spirited wrote:
That is one isolated picture out of many. They can't all be flattering.
Thank you ever so kindly for pointing this out. Although I initially found it to be a pretty fucking funny shot,
your logic has successfully convinced me that it is indeed not humorous in any way, shape, or form. :wink:
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

mikeenc wrote:
Rockandrolloverman wrote:

Paul has been asked in past interviews if there was an effect for him that was never used, and he has mentioned an idea of him stabbing an amp with a guitar and the amp bleeding. On the video screens, they were showing an amp grill that had blood running down it, so I'm guessing that is what is supposed to actually happen as well. (Maybe not...maybe he just stabs it and the screens represent the bleeding.) It's interesting though, because I've seen him speak about the effect and it was kind of an "eye-roll" situation, where he played it off as a rather silly idea...interesting that it's in there now.
I actually think that will be interesting to see, it won't be a focal point of the show but it should be something interesting. 8)
KissShred
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by KissShred »

I was there, had a great time. Sorry if this has been mention but, did anyone catch the dig at Motley? Paul made a point of saying "everything you hear up here is US"? Motley had a lot of recorded backing vocals and Tommy's drum solo featured the likes of Skrillex ffs.

Anyway, awesome show. The new song sounded great and I was surprised how good I Love it Loud sounded. Gene only screwed up the lyrics once, in War Machine of course :lol: