"The Tour" Show 4: 7/24/12 - Atlanta, GA

MONSTER Magnet
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: "The Tour" Show 4: 7/24/12 - Atlanta, GA

Post by MONSTER Magnet »

ID THROW THAT REVIEW UP IN ITS OWN THREAD !! .THE BOARD COULD USE THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK .PLEASE AND THANX !!
asamphord
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by asamphord »

MONSTER Magnet
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MONSTER Magnet »

Gene Simmons ‏@genesimmons 15 min.
Here's what I look like when I go to work.

go to whosay.com and check it out!
Muppet Butt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Muppet Butt »

So KISS played for 80 mins? That's acceptable (barely)
asamphord

Post by asamphord »

Muppet Butt wrote:So KISS played for 80 mins? That's acceptable (barely)
81:07

:D
Wildwood75
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Wildwood75 »

asamphord wrote:Treatment started at 6:45, Motley started at 7:45 ended at a few minutes after 9. This gave me some hope that KISS might play an extra song or two, but it was not to be. They went on about 9:40. Same setlist as the previous shows. Paul gave the curfew rap and they ended right at 11.

Motley played Live Wire instead of Looks That Kill which pleased me since Too Fast For Love is my favorite Motley album.

Motley really warms the crowd up well, they end on a high note with lots of lights and pyro and the crowd going wild for Kickstart My Heart. Which is pretty awesome because at that point everyone is pretty amped up for KISS.

The 1-2-3 punch of Detroit Rock City-Shout It Out Loud-I Love It Loud really gets the crowd going right away. Nobody left after Motley and to me it seemed that KISS got a better crowd response and was able to keep the crowd into it. With a more compact set, the high points of the show (for a mainstream minded crowd) really come at you one after the other....... Gene breathes fire, Paul flies, Tommy and Eric shoot rockets, Gene spits blood.... boom, boom, boom.... there never was a lull in the action, and they're hittin you with all they got.

Tommy & Eric's solo was a bit shorter than last tour, and a little bit different of a jam, seemed a little bit looser, I enjoyed it more.

No sparks from Gene's boots.

Way ( i mean way, way, WAY) more pyro and bombs at the end of Rock And Roll All Nite than I've ever seen by far, by a longshot. They really want to leave that lasting impression at the end. More confetti guns too, some of them half way back near the soundboard, so the place was just swimming in confetti.

I had to go into it with no expectations. Last KISS show I saw, I met them and that sat front row directly in front of Gene. So obviously that is not going to be topped. This time I was in row YY, Gene's side of the stage, just a few rows in front of the lawn, but I had a great time, the sound was pretty good, not too muddy, and the show was great. Paul sounded better than he has the last couple times I've seen them, there were no cringe moments. A very noticeable difference is Paul is doing a lot more of the background vocals than he had the last couple of tours. Black Diamond backgrounds sounded better than they have in a long time.... Shock Me as well.... a lot of the background harmonies were a lot tighter than they have been, I think tuning down has helped not only Paul, but all of them..... and tuning down gives the songs a bit more weight a bit more power, especially War Machine and God Of Thunder.

One kind of cool thing is the monitors hung from the ceiling obscured a big portion of the screen from my view, so I didn't get too caught up in watching the screen and mainly just watched the band on stage.

Personal highlights:

Detroit Rock City (always love this as an opener, and it's been awhile since it's been there... farewell tour I think?)
War Machine
Hell Or Hallelujah
God Of Thunder
Lick It Up (for some reason this song just cooked tonite... extra energy, normally I'm slightly bored with this song, though I've enjoyed it more recently with the Won't Get Fooled Again interlude, but this was probably the best performance I've seen of Lick It Up, maybe ever)
Black Diamond (the cats are so cooool!!)
Rock And Roll All Nite

really the whole set was great... I Love It Loud is generally the only song I get a bit bored with, and putting it up front in the set kinda helps that out... the show has just begun, I'm still in that "hey i'm seeing KISS" excitement phase, and then it's out of the way....

lessee anything else.......

it looked like Paul turned towards Eric during Firehouse and motioned for him to pick up the pace a bit, maybe it was dragging a tiny bit... I noticed maybe a very slight shift in tempo after Paul made this move, but it could have been my imagination. But he definitely turned around, looked right at Eric and started stomping his foot in an exaggerated manner.... so that's how I interpreted it. I'll have to listen back to the recording and see if I can hear it.

well that's probably about it. Still on that high that can only be attained by seeing KISS live. I was only going to see one show on this tour since it's such a short KISS show, but I had so much fun, I'll probably head up to Nashville and see it in September. why not? :D

Thanks so much for your review. So glad to hear the show started earlier than the first 3 shows.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

asamphord wrote:
Muppet Butt wrote:So KISS played for 80 mins? That's acceptable (barely)
81:07

:D
That's fine by me. The last few shows I saw dragged in the middle. As a co headline tour, this works. Time to cut the curfew crap..... Although its clearly just become a rap.

I was thinking of taking my 10 and 12 year old nieces. Think they'd be ok for this show... How is MC kid wise?
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

Motley throws out a few F-bombs here and there...and they have the 2 acrobatic girls/backup singers in skimpy clothing onstage, but nothing that would scare me off of bringing my daughter when she was younger. Every parent has their own limits though.
mrdeuce
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mrdeuce »

Thanks for the review, too. Good to see they've moved the set times, but bad that it doesn't seem to have done anything to KISS' setlist.
Wildwood75

Post by Wildwood75 »

mrdeuce wrote:Motley throws out a few F-bombs here and there...and they have the 2 acrobatic girls/backup singers in skimpy clothing onstage, but nothing that would scare me off of bringing my daughter when she was younger. Every parent has their own limits though.

Motley is basically doing what they did last summer when I saw them with Poison. The dancing girls, rollercoaster drum solo. They sounded great last summer except for Vince... He struggled to sing the entire show. Still a good show and they played all their hits.

Kiss isn't dropping any F-Bombs are they?
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

mrdeuce wrote:Motley throws out a few F-bombs here and there...and they have the 2 acrobatic girls/backup singers in skimpy clothing onstage, but nothing that would scare me off of bringing my daughter when she was younger. Every parent has their own limits though.
Great thanks. I want them to see Kiss before retire, and where I live, it's tough to do.

Tom
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

12,000+ in Atlanta is great. AeroKiss only pulled 13,000 there.

62,000 being reported in the first 4 shows. Off to a good start.
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

[quote="asamphord"]I don't bitch about anything. I expect nothing and therefore cannot be disappointed. :-)

I've never not had fun seeing a KISS show. Even watching them open for Aerosmith out on the lawn in the pouring down rain.[/quote]

Good for you!
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

[quote="kissthat"]12,000+ in Atlanta is great. AeroKiss only pulled 13,000 there.

62,000 being reported in the first 4 shows. Off to a good start.[/quote]
15,500 average per nite.

VERY impressive, if you ask me.
fyrebear

Post by fyrebear »

My wife and I were at the Atlanta show and came away AMAZED! It was fantastic! Totally lived up to the hype. We both felt it was the MOST (BY FAR) Pyro/bombs we have seen at a KISS show. You could FEEL the flashpots! How are KISS not burned up on stage? The confetti at the end...more than I have ever seen and you could not even see the band for half the song! After the show...all of the gun power, it felt like a war zone!

The HD screen was used perfectly and added great accompanying elements. Generally I am not a fan of those screens as I see them as a distraction (I am there to see the band physically live and not on a screen) but the added animations were good elements to accompany the songs. And the screen is very versatile being able to be used for the KISS logo, which also looks fantastic.

The set list was rock solid. It was all rapid fire that really kept the momentum going. Paul sounded fine, especially with all of the Amp reverb in the amphitheater. HoH was awesome live!

One of the best KISS shows we have ever attended, period!