"The Tour" Show 15: 8/10/12 - Phoenix, AZ

nearlyhumanoid
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: ReviewMotley Crue, surprisingly, outperforms Kiss in Pho

Post by nearlyhumanoid »

futon wrote:I'd like to see both bands myself.

This quote is funny tho;

"They came off more like a dated Las Vegas show, where most of their fire and stage props were images on a video screen while Motley Crue actually brought the fire, attitude and production that make up a great rock show."

Early tour reviews criticised the Crue for a Vegas show. So, eye of the beholder and all that...
Didn't Motley Crue actually do a stint in Vegas not too long ago? Or am I mistaken about that?
the-rockstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by the-rockstar »

Friend from Phoenix told me Crüe stole the night away & It seems as if he wasn't the only one thinking that. Let's see who wins the battles when I see them next week
the-rockstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by the-rockstar »

nearlyhumanoid wrote:

This quote is funny tho;

"They came off more like a dated Las Vegas show, where most of their fire and stage props were images on a video screen while Motley Crue actually brought the fire, attitude and production that make up a great rock show."

Early tour reviews criticised the Crue for a Vegas show. So, eye of the beholder and all that...
Didn't Motley Crue actually do a stint in Vegas not too long ago? Or am I mistaken about that?
They did a few weeks in feb at the joint. I saw one show. It was really good
futon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by futon »

nearlyhumanoid wrote:

This quote is funny tho;

That's true, I forgot about that, that was only this past year I think.
KissCruehead
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KissCruehead »

nearlyhumanoid wrote:

This quote is funny tho;

From the beginning of the February to 19th the same month :-)
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Every Reviewer didn't seem to have that stance. :lol:

http://www.examiner.com/review/concert- ... ll-phoenix

Daytime temperatures were at 114 degrees and had not decreased much by concert time. Those painted up like their idols found their makeup running more than the mascara of a televangelist’s wife. Yes, Hell (aka the greater Phoenix area) was ready for KISS. But was KISS ready for Hell? After seventy five minutes of fire sans brimstone plus a little blood, on Friday, August 10, 2012 KISS showed the near sold out crowd at Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pavilion that they welcome such an environment.

Somehow the term spectacle isn’t sufficient to describe a KISS concert. From the outset, as the KISS logoed curtain dropped and the band launched into “Detroit Rock City,” the crowd began their mania as bassist Gene Simmons, guitarist Paul Stanley and guitarist Tommy Thayer were lowered from the rafters into Hell while drummer Eric Singer ascended upward on his platform towards the heavens.

The members of the KISS Army, both long time and the newly converted, had no trouble singing along to “Shout It Out Loud,” and chanting the arena rock anthem beginning to “I Love It Loud.” The audience was ready to do its part and KISS was more than willing to reciprocate.

Any doubt that the evening was going to be beyond hot was erased by the flames, sirens and Simmon’s fire breathing that punctuated “Firehouse.” Just in case one was too far back to feel the heat of the flames coming from the stage, a huge HD video screen behind the band projected one of the clearest pictures you’ll see at a concert.

With almost forty years of hits to choose from, it was natural that “old school” KISS, as Stanley called it, was primarily featured. But the band did play one tune, “Hell or Hallelujah,” from their upcoming “Monster” cd. Judging from the reception the song received, it should be another KISS hit.

It’s easy to dismiss KISS as just a party band when they shout it out loud or rock and roll all night. But feeling the heavy bass line of “War Machine” or listening to Simmons growl the lyrics to “God of Thunder,” as he did while standing atop the lighting rig above the stage and you rediscover how good a heavy metal band KISS really is.

The two non-founders of KISS, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, were showcased in “Shock Me,” with Thayer handling the lead vocals and while elevated, Singer and Thayer firing pyrotechnic shots at each other concluding with Singer’s bazooka blast.

It soon became Stanley’s turn to be lifted off the stage and he obliged by ziplining over the audience to a rotating elevated platform in the middle of the crowd for “Love Gun.” He returned to his band mates for a rousing version of “Lick It Up,” complete with choreographed flames and a little bit of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

It’s no secret that from the beginning, with their makeup and outrageous costumes, KISS has been as much about the performance as they have been about the music. With decades to perfect their craft, KISS does fireworks, flames, sparks and other eye popping effects better than anyone else. It’s one thing to listen to KISS Alive! (I’ve finally upgraded from my 8-track of it) but it’s quite another to actually see for yourself what all the hoopla is about.

But all the special effects in the world won’t help you if you don’t deliver on the music and KISS still does. Vocally, they sounded tight and their musicianship always is underrated
. As the band closed with the iconic “Rock and Roll All Nite,” one thing was clear. It rains a lot of confetti in Hell.

Set List: Detroit Rock City | Shout It Out Loud | I Love It Loud | Firehouse | Hell or Hallelujah | War Machine | Shock Me (with extended guitar and drum interplay) | Gene Simmons Bass Solo | God of Thunder | Love Gun | Lick It Up | Encore: Black Diamond | Cold Gin | Rock and Roll All Nite
SpaceKRISS
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by SpaceKRISS »

I went to the Charlotte show. I'm not a really big fan of Motley Crue, but I thought the stage show was very good... I've never seen Motley, so it was all new to me. I kinda felt KISS was rushed in a sense, with a shortened setlist. I liked the 2010 show better than the 2012 show... but am I saying the 2012 show sucks from what I saw? No, of course not. But... I'm gonna have to give it to MC for stage production. My opinion though.
bjohnsen74
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by bjohnsen74 »

I agree, show and pyrowise Kiss is definitely beaten and been outdated by Mötley Crüe and Metallica.. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the music. There's NOTHING exciting about Kiss' show anymore, because they don't any deep thought into it. They should come up some cool idea or concept.. Whereas Mötley's show feels almost dangerous, Kiss is safe and boring.
KissCruehead
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KissCruehead »

BJ i also noticed that.
but in some ways KISS show is classic. they are continuing what they've done in 70s.. and that's magic about KISS, for me. that they are using pyros in the beginning, in the end, in some certian songs.
maybe their pyros are not Rammstein, but honestly? I prefer KISS ones. they are well balanced.
bjohnsen74

Post by bjohnsen74 »

KissCruehead wrote:BJ i also noticed that.
but in some ways KISS show is classic. they are continuing what they've done in 70s..
Really? That's not how I see it at all.. The classic 70's show is nothing like the Vegas show they do today. The dimly lit 75 candleabra show was scary and dangerous in its own way, and the Love Gun tour in 77 was the pinnacle of the scary show with lots of flames and Sam the Serpent. I would like both the "less is more" 75/76 approach OR the over the top 77 show more than the watered down show they do today.
Crown Royal
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crown Royal »

Got a text from a friend who attended this show. Said Crue was fun, but KISS was the highlight of the night.

It's all subjective.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

[quote="Crown Royal"]
It's all subjective.[/quote]

That's all there is to it, yes.

Opinions. we all have one.
:[GOB]:Ranger Dave
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: "The Tour" Show 15: 8/10/12 - Phoenix, AZ

Post by :[GOB]:Ranger Dave »

[quote="seattlekissfan"]It was a great show. Did the always-controversial Meet and Greet package. Had an awesome time despite the temperature. Never saw Crue before. Great spectacle, cool pyro and visuals, Mick Mars was spot on, Tommy Lee killed it, Vince Neil never could sing so he bested my expectations. Nikki Sixx is a helluva performer but dude, it's 2012. You don't to prove how bad-ass your band is by referring to other band's shows as "BAN ME NOW" concerts. Fuck that. Soooo fuckin' laaaaaame. It's always been a little challenging to be a gay hard rock fan. But KISS kicked Motley's ass anyway, so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. And KISS fans are cooler. Finally, major shout-out to Daveranger. Great meeting you last night, dude. Keep on rockin'.[/quote]
It was a pleasure chatting withn you while waiting for the photo op with KISS.
:[GOB]:Ranger Dave
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: "The Tour" Show 15: 8/10/12 - Phoenix, AZ

Post by :[GOB]:Ranger Dave »

OK, KISS killed Crue and thats all there is too it.

Did the M&G for this one, had a really great time, met some cool KISS fans as well. (wore my KISS army football jersey instead of my Love Gun bowling shirt in case anyone on here wants to say hello again)

To start off the night we all went back for the start of the M&G into a white tent area they said was AC cooled. But it was soon obvious the AC was out of service. QUICK CALL SEARS !!!!!!!
Must have been 130 inside that thing, there was a few fans I was very concerned about and they had to remove one guy as he was passing out. Finally they pulled down one of the walls and got the blowers working before KISS entered the tent. It cooled off considerably.
Kiss sat down and asked for requests, a few songs were called out and I yelled out "Hotter Than Hell" and got my laugh from the fans and KISS.
Unplugged set list as best I can remember and not in order.
Hard Luck Women
Got To Choose
She with guitar solo
They played a few more songs but I am not remembering all of them now.
They did the autograph session right after the unplugged set. I brought my bass drum head and all four signed it. I was able to speak for about a minute with each of the guys, really seemed to be great guys and seemed to enjoy meeting with all the fans.

Would like to shout out to the very cute Francine I met.

After this I brought my stuff out to the car and hen grabbed a few beers while hanging in the lawn area with my brother his family and my daughters for The Treatment.
When Crue started I went down to my reserved seat in section 104, row A seat 10. Great seat.
Crue was good, have always been a fan. Tommy's drum solo was lacking for better words, a drum solo. All he does is hit the snare on a 4 beat to a bunch of rap crap. Don't get it, he used to flip upside down and turn at the same time while doing a great solo, now its just a track the goes around. Maybe its just the old age is catching up with him. Mick mars solo was nothing spectacular, I can drag a pick up and down the strings as well.
But otherwise they did a great show and the water cannons were a welcome cooling off in this what was one hot Phoenix summer night.
At the end of Crue went back stage again to the tent for the photo op with KISS in full warpaint. Got a fist bump from Gene as I approached for my pic, he may have just been checking to see if I was holding any money or not.
Barely made it back to my seat for the opening song of KISS !!!!
My seat was left side of stage about 4th row from stage right in front of Gene. Really was a great show and KISS sounded so much better this time then when I seen them last for the Sonic Boom tour. Paul's voice I would say is much better, and the rest of the guys seemed to really enjoy themselves. The crowd was great, packed house.
Looking forward to the Monster cd and hopefully they will come back through Phoenix area for the Monster Tour as well. May even do the M&G again with my kids in tow.