"The Tour" Show 31: 9/7/12 - Tinley Park, IL

CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: "The Tour" Show 31: 9/7/12 - Tinley Park, IL

Post by CStomp1 »

KISS Unmasked II wrote:It's interesting how many folks in these threads have said they enjoy MC's "greatest hits" set whereas we tend to complain about KISS doing the same thing.
I know that if I saw the Crue live I'd want to hear about what they are playing now. I wonder what their fans think of both setlists...
8)
Well, I see it as MC having a legit "greatest hits" set. These are all songs everyone knows because they were truly hits. To me that's different than KISS' greatest hits. Those are mostly hits in the minds of KISS fans. Anyway I enjoyed both. I'm sure there are some hardcore Crue fans who want to hear some obscure stuff, but I don't see how anyone could fault their setlist. If anything KISS should have much more flexibility based on having less legit hits. Then again if they were to play Beth, Forever, I Was Made, Christine 16, and others, they could truly do their own greatest hits set if they chose to.

I also forgot to mention how cool I thought the start of MC's show was with the giant clock and the procession through the crowd. I could have sworn I smelled incense - it was like the Pope was making his way through the crowd. Not sure if any other band has done that, but I thought it was unique and very cool.

KISS comes off very workman-like on stage, especially TT and ES. The one thing I really liked about Tommy Lee, despite his language and penchant to try and act like a rap star - the guy has a youthful enthusiasm that's infectious. He just really seems to enjoy what he's doing.

I still enjoy going out to a show and being around a rock and roll crowd. It was funny though - I saw someone wearing a back brace, another with a neck brace, numerous canes and wheelchairs. The rock crowd is really aging - the handicapped parking area was huge!

Parasitestudios mentioned Paul's speaking voice - spot on! It is very strange now. I remember thinking we have Peter Brady up there on stage - "When it's time to change..." :lol:
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

KISS Unmasked II wrote:It's interesting how many folks in these threads have said they enjoy MC's "greatest hits" set whereas we tend to complain about KISS doing the same thing.
I know that if I saw the Crue live I'd want to hear about what they are playing now. I wonder what their fans think of both setlists...
8)
Motley fans ,that see them tour after tour are crying about the setlist as bad as KISS diehards. Someone like myself, that's only cared to see Motley a couple of times over the years, loves this setlist.
warmachine731
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by warmachine731 »

Went to the show last night.

There was a little cool breeze in the air and I was in section 202. Never will I buy a side section again when my favorite band is playing. You can't make out anything that's being said and I just felt too far away from KISS for being a diehard. But I purposely didn't spend the dough because of the co-headlinging thing so I'm over it.

How old is that venue? It's the biggest crap hole excuse of a venue i've ever seen.

I wasn't there to see Motley but I tried to enjoy their show. I've seen them about 4 or 5 or so times since 2005 and I was reminded last night why I only paid to see them by themselves ONCE. To me, it's just not cool when you have to say "F**k" every 2 words. I don't know, i've been over Motley for a while and their whole sleaze scene of 1987 in 2012.

Onto KISS!!!

I was so freakin' pumped when they hit the stage and I felt like I was finally at a KISS show, and not a weirdo convention. They looked awesome, sounded good. Basically going into each song made the flow go a lot better but the detuning kind of caught up in the middle of the set. There seemed to be some dead songs to the crowd and it makes it harder to enjoy. It was like War Machine / Shock Me part of the show. It picked back up again around Love Gun / Lick It Up. The encore was Dr Love / RARAN and I love how they went right into RARAN and ALSO played the song the way it's supposed to be, without the babbling for 2.5 minutes in between.

For the night I give it a 5/10 overall but that's my own personal feeling. I'm only seeing this tour once because I knew how it would be with Motley.

Cannot wait to see KISS tour themselves again, and in support of Monster!!!! That's a 10/10. :gene:
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

Not the best shots, but here's a few from my phone.
Attachments
KISSchi3.jpg
KISSchi2.jpg
KISSchi1.jpg
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

[quote="CStomp1"]
I still enjoy going out to a show and being around a rock and roll crowd. It was funny though - I saw someone wearing a back brace, another with a neck brace, numerous canes and wheelchairs. The rock crowd is really aging - the handicapped parking area was huge!
[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that as well!
As I said above I was shocked at how many of the Crue fans I was around were totally clueless about KISS in general.
When I brought up John Corabi to the Crue fans around me they were not happy with that. :lol:
It seemed as if for them if it happened outside of the eighties they didn't want to hear about it.
The cool thing about them being unfamiliar with KISS was that as the show unfolded they were really wowed by it and they also went nuts for Lick It Up (80s) when it was played.
As I said before one Crue fan said he thought last night was all about his era but that KISS took the night.
I was fine with it being mostly a greatest hits show because I knew that going in.
It was a cool contrast between both bands last night and a fun time for me, but yeah....bring on MONSTER.
Last edited by strangeways747 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

warmachine731 wrote:Went to the show last night.

There was a little cool breeze in the air and I was in section 202. Never will I buy a side section again when my favorite band is playing. You can't make out anything that's being said and I just felt too far away from KISS for being a diehard. But I purposely didn't spend the dough because of the co-headlinging thing so I'm over it.

How old is that venue? It's the biggest crap hole excuse of a venue i've ever seen.

I wasn't there to see Motley but I tried to enjoy their show. I've seen them about 4 or 5 or so times since 2005 and I was reminded last night why I only paid to see them by themselves ONCE. To me, it's just not cool when you have to say "F**k" every 2 words. I don't know, i've been over Motley for a while and their whole sleaze scene of 1987 in 2012.

Onto KISS!!!

I was so freakin' pumped when they hit the stage and I felt like I was finally at a KISS show, and not a weirdo convention. They looked awesome, sounded good. Basically going into each song made the flow go a lot better but the detuning kind of caught up in the middle of the set. There seemed to be some dead songs to the crowd and it makes it harder to enjoy. It was like War Machine / Shock Me part of the show. It picked back up again around Love Gun / Lick It Up. The encore was Dr Love / RARAN and I love how they went right into RARAN and ALSO played the song the way it's supposed to be, without the babbling for 2.5 minutes in between.

For the night I give it a 5/10 overall but that's my own personal feeling. I'm only seeing this tour once because I knew how it would be with Motley.

Cannot wait to see KISS tour themselves again, and in support of Monster!!!! That's a 10/10. :gene:
It was my first time seeing the Crue, and I actually enjoyed it and tried not to be bothered by the constant stream of cussing.

The First Midwest Bank Amphitheater opened in 1990. The first show was Cher and the second was KISS on the HITS tour. I think it was June 3, 1990 - I was there in a leather jacket and not for fashion purposes - it was an unusually cold June evening. There were maybe 8 - 9,000 in attendance that night - no one on that massive lawn that I recall.

I haven't been to a ton of sheds, so I don't have much to compare it to. I like the sky boxes they have over the pavilion. I had a chance to grab tickets up there but waited a bit too long and they were gone off Stub Hub. I would have liked to have seen the show from that vantage point.

The bad thing about parents bringing kids to these shows is many youngsters standing on chairs obscuring views. That was going on a lot around us. I love the kids having these concert experiences, but it wasn't much fun for my wife trying to see. Once you get out of the 100 level, the sight lines really get weak.

I'm with you - I settled for less than stellar tickets because of the cost after seeing KISS up close the last several tours. I won't do that again.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

And there's no elevation for each row. I was in 202 and had to basically look through people.And i'm 6'3. My girlfriend's shorter and she could barely see anything the whole time.

On their own tour i'll gladly drop more money on a ticket though but i'll be back in NY next year. This is just a 1 year thing but no way I was passing up KISS
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

warmachine731 wrote:And there's no elevation for each row. I was in 202 and had to basically look through people.And i'm 6'3. My girlfriend's shorter and she could barely see anything the whole time.

On their own tour i'll gladly drop more money on a ticket though but i'll be back in NY next year. This is just a 1 year thing but no way I was passing up KISS
Sorry you had to "enjoy" our crappy venue. What elevation it has it not enough. I will never sit in the 200's at this place again. I prefer KISS in an arena setting, but I also really settled for crap seats last night. There's nothing like KISS up close and in your face. Monster tour for sure.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

CStomp1 wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:
The First Midwest Bank Amphitheater opened in 1990. The first show was Cher and the second was KISS on the HITS tour. I think it was June 3, 1990 - I was there in a leather jacket and not for fashion purposes - it was an unusually cold June evening. There were maybe 8 - 9,000 in attendance that night - no one on that massive lawn that I recall.
You are correct about that date for the Hot In The Shade Tour.
The place used to be called the New World Music Theater. You are also correct that the first night it was open was with Cher and second night was with KISS.
I had second row seats and they had mislabeled the rows so the people in the front row got backstage passes and sky box to make it up to them and we moved up one row. You're also correct that it's not the best place to see shows at. It's not the worst, but there are better places. Alpine Valley comes to mind.
my pics from that night here @
https://www.kissfaq.com/forum24/viewtopi ... =1&t=72854
Last edited by strangeways747 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

kissthat wrote:Image

Another packed one.

14k is 50% cap. That's not packed by any stretch of the imagination, especially since lawn seats have been sold for $10 at FMBA events since July.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

Arrogant wrote:

Another packed one.
14k is 50% cap. That's not packed...
14k is still a lot of people.
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

Worst concert I've seen in about ten years. Crüe went through the motions, and the fact that all backing vocals were canned was laughable at best. No amount of cheesy props on stage could detract from the inferior product.

The amount of people who left after that debacle was curious to see. Kiss was sleep inducing. My expectations for the show were incredibly low, and MC set the bar even lower. But it was just horrible. From the very first utterance into the mic, Paul croaked away and it just sounded painful. All of us who had ear plugs could (sadly) very clearly hear just how bad his vocals have gotten.

We made our way upstairs, no difference. Side stage, same thing. It was simply impossible for me to enjoy the show on any level. I expected the worst during the Aero/Kiss show and still found highlights. There were no such highlights to be found last night. I'll always remain a fan, but Paul is seriously in bad shape and should call it a day.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

strangeways747 wrote:
Arrogant wrote:

Another packed one.
Is that the official attendance from last night? I was thinking more around 17,000. The pavilion was packed (about 11,000), and lawn maybe a third to a half (which accommodates around 17,000 by itself). I was there - no, not packed, but a very healthy crowd.
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

strangeways747 wrote:
Arrogant wrote:

Another packed one.
Agreed. It's a sellout in Detroit.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Arrogant wrote:Worst concert I've seen in about ten years. Crüe went through the motions, and the fact that all backing vocals were canned was laughable at best. No amount of cheesy props on stage could detract from the inferior product.

The amount of people who left after that debacle was curious to see. Kiss was sleep inducing. My expectations for the show were incredibly low, and MC set the bar even lower. But it was just horrible. From the very first utterance into the mic, Paul croaked away and it just sounded painful. All of us who had ear plugs could (sadly) very clearly hear just how bad his vocals have gotten.

We made our way upstairs, no difference. Side stage, same thing. It was simply impossible for me to enjoy the show on any level. I expected the worst during the Aero/Kiss show and still found highlights. There were no such highlights to be found last night. I'll always remain a fan, but Paul is seriously in bad shape and should call it a day.
I respect your experience and revue, but mine was completely different. I think if you go into something with negative expectations, you get exactly that. I went looking for a good time and found it.

My wife, who likes KISS but is nowhere as insane as I am thought Paul sounded good. She also told me she thinks Ace sounds stronger vocally than TT! Does that qualify her to join the Ace avatar club?! :lol:

Sorry it was a sour show for you.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Arrogant wrote:

Another packed one.

14k is 50% cap. That's not packed by any stretch of the imagination, especially since lawn seats have been sold for $10 at FMBA events since July.
Where is the report of 14,000? I'd like to read that review. Also the "packed" remark is from KISS Facebook.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

14, 000 is a lot but if the Crue were not on the bill ,it would be less . Outside of NYC , Detroit and maybe L.A , Kiss is not pulling in 14,000 on their own
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

metaldad wrote:14, 000 is a lot but if the Crue were not on the bill ,it would be less . Outside of NYC , Detroit and maybe L.A , Kiss is not pulling in 14,000 on their own
Where is this line of thinking coming from? It's not like KISS has been a failure at the box office in recent tours and had to grab a big co-headliner like the Crue to pull people in. Now it is certainly possible there's been an over-saturation of KISS in recent years and they need the package this year, but again, it's not like they've been drawing flies lately.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

CStomp1 wrote:
warmachine731 wrote:And there's no elevation for each row. I was in 202 and had to basically look through people.And i'm 6'3. My girlfriend's shorter and she could barely see anything the whole time.

Sorry you had to "enjoy" our crappy venue. What elevation it has it not enough. I will never sit in the 200's at this place again. I prefer KISS in an arena setting, but I also really settled for crap seats last night. There's nothing like KISS up close and in your face. Monster tour for sure.
Hey you know what? When KISS hit the stage I was so zoned into the show and forgot about all of that. I kid you not, there were 2 lesbians in front of me who started making out and my gf hit my arm, trying to get my attention to see if I saw that. They were legit making out for like 30 seconds and I was looking about 3 inches over their heads and didn't even notice til it was brought to my attention. I was trying to feel like I was in an expensive seat, in the back.

There's just something so captivating with KISS shows seeing in person. The makeup's so white, the costumes are so black and the stage is so silver. And after seeing this band a bunch now I still get that feeling inside like "Holy crap, that's Paul freaking Stanley right there." KISS still finds a way to pull me in like that.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

Also at the end of HOH, I heard some guy a couple rows back yell "Alright now play something we know"

I hate when people say stuff like that. But I enjoyed it because it was the first time I had ever witnessed the song live!
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Arrogant wrote:Worst concert I've seen in about ten years. Crüe went through the motions, and the fact that all backing vocals were canned was laughable at best. No amount of cheesy props on stage could detract from the inferior product.

You are the only one besides me who said really anything less than they were great....they were NOT great in my opinion. I still enjoyed it, but they DO look tired and slow, I'm sorry. And I don't care what anyone says, you could FEEL the energy leave when they came on...not saying it stayed gone the whole set but it did go down.

While I think Tommy Lee overdoes the cursing etc...I can just feel how excited and passionate he is about what he does...he loves every minute of it and you can feel it. Vince is bad for sure...very bad and the backing tapes were obvious but their show was loud and heavy.

NOT saying KISS should quit or whatever. Just telling you the way I saw it. Still love them,still excited about MONSTER,still going to see them next time
KISS Unmasked II
Banned

Post by KISS Unmasked II »

CStomp1 wrote:
8)
Well, I see it as MC having a legit "greatest hits" set. These are all songs everyone knows because they were truly hits. To me that's different than KISS' greatest hits. Those are mostly hits in the minds of KISS fans.:
I don't know the stats or chart positions but do MC really have that many hits ? I'm not seeing any more than what KISS would play.
Well known to casual fans ? Definitely. But actual hits ? Maybe 3 or 4 but that's it.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
8)
Attachments
MC.JPG
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

KISS Unmasked II wrote:
CStomp1 wrote:
8)
Well, I see it as MC having a legit "greatest hits" set. These are all songs everyone knows because they were truly hits. To me that's different than KISS' greatest hits. Those are mostly hits in the minds of KISS fans.:
I don't know the stats or chart positions but do MC really have that many hits ? I'm not seeing any more than what KISS would play.
Well known to casual fans ? Definitely. But actual hits ? Maybe 3 or 4 but that's it.
8)
Smokin' In The Boys Room - #16
Girls Girls Girls - #12
Dr. Feelgood - #6
Without You - #8
Don't Go Away Mad - #19

Roughly the same amount as KISS, although it's interesting that Motley's playing three of their biggest hits and KISS is only playing one.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

[quote="Anomaly"][quote="KISS Unmasked II"][quote="CStomp1"][quote="KISS Unmasked II"]It's interesting how many folks in these threads have said they enjoy MC's "greatest hits" set whereas we tend to complain about KISS doing the same thing.
8)[/quote]

Well, I see it as MC having a legit "greatest hits" set. These are all songs everyone knows because they were truly hits. To me that's different than KISS' greatest hits. Those are mostly hits in the minds of KISS fans.:[/quote]

8)[/quote]

Girls Girls Girls - #12
Dr. Feelgood - #6
Without You - #8
Don't Go Away Mad - #19

Roughly the same amount as KISS, although it's interesting that Motley's playing three of their biggest hits and KISS is only playing one.[/quote]

Actually KISS has two top ten songs and they didn't play either.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

[quote="Anomaly"][quote="KISS Unmasked II"][quote="CStomp1"][quote="KISS Unmasked II"]It's interesting how many folks in these threads have said they enjoy MC's "greatest hits" set whereas we tend to complain about KISS doing the same thing.
8)[/quote]

Well, I see it as MC having a legit "greatest hits" set. These are all songs everyone knows because they were truly hits. To me that's different than KISS' greatest hits. Those are mostly hits in the minds of KISS fans.:[/quote]

8)[/quote]

Girls Girls Girls - #12
Dr. Feelgood - #6
Without You - #8
Don't Go Away Mad - #19

Roughly the same amount as KISS, although it's interesting that Motley's playing three of their biggest hits and KISS is only playing one.[/quote]

To me I go by what I hear on the radio all the time now, not necessarily chart position back when it was released. For KISS (and to me), LIU is a legit hit because it gets played a lot today.

For the Crue, based on the setlist KUII posted, numbers 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13,and 14 are all what I would consider to be pretty big hits. When my wife knows them all, they're "hits".
ps500
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ps500 »

I missed the opening of Motley Crue because the Tinley Park P.D did a HORRIBLE job with the traffic situation from before the I80 exit ramps all the way to the front entrance on Harlem! No cop outside of his cruiser and the traffic light was running on it's own!!! WTF
ps500
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ps500 »

[quote="LoveGun77"]Just got home from the show....some random thoughts:

2steps. Mr Criss and Mr Frehley! And gained 2 scabs!!

Paul was better than he has been recently,I thought....anyone notice the other guys did a lot of the backing vocals,possibly saving his voice a little bit?....I thought Gene sounded not all that good....Tommy is a very average guitarist. He's decent,but nothing special. No,not trying to spark a debate on that,just saying it as I see it....Seems Eric is kinda going through the motions a lot. He doesn't seem to have that fire he used to. Not sure if they are tellinig him to tone it down or just that he has lost a step. Not the same guy I saw before. Still very good,but noticably different...They seem very tired and slow. Still enjoyed the performance but kinda like seeing a star pitcher having lost a little something as he got older....Anyone else notice the HUGE dropoff in energy and intensity when Crue finished and Kiss started? It was amazing...it was like the energy was taken out of the crowd a little as well...With his voice in such bad shape the last few years...WHY does Paul insist on doing those yells and screams when its not necessary? Shouldn't he avoid that at least a little bit?

I know this may appear that I am trying to be negative. The truth is,just calling it as I see it. This is the first time I've seen them in a few years and its a big difference. I can't lie about what I saw just because I'm a diehard fan. Still decent,still enjoyable,but definitely have lost a step.[/quote]
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Excerpted from a review by By: Brigette Sullivan

Iconic Shock Rock quarter KISS once again swept through Chicagoland's First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, on their "The Tour" co-headlining tour with fellow rockers Motley Crue and supporting band The Treatment. For those familiar with the KISS show, it was what one would expect from the band: loud, explosive (literally), simple Rock and Roll, and plenty of signature KISS makeup—on stage and in the crowd.

Then the band most seemed to be waiting for hit the stage, and the audience energy changed. Cool rock dudes became giddy ten year-old versions of themselves, complete with fist-pumping screams and air guitars.

70’s Rock icons KISS opened the night with “Detroit Rock City”, followed by “Shout It Out Loud”. Every person in the near-capacity venue was on his feet, singing along and spilling their over-prices beers as they jumped to the drum beats. As founding members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley strategically struck poses for the cameras and enthusiastic audience, newer band mates Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer carried the sonic energy with their drum and guitar skills respectively.

Next up were “I Love It Loud” and “Firehouse”, to which Simmons did his signature (he’d trademark it, if he could) fire breathing stunt. Then came lesser know songs “Hell or Hallelujah” and “War Machine”. Thayer and Singer traded solos on “Shock Me” while Stanley and Simmons took performance breaks. Simmons returned to the staged rigged with fake blood capsules and wire harness. He spat blood, wagged his well-known oral appendage, then was lifted several feet up to the rafters for “God of Thunder”. The band then performed thunderous “Love Gun” and 80’s Rock Pop sounding “Lick It Up”, at which point Stanley zip-lined to an outer audience platform with his guitar. The band pulled out their old gem “Black Diamond”, much to the delight of fans throughout the venue. Stanley did a brief guitar solo, then the band informed the audience they’d have to wrap up their night due to a strict venue curfew. The last two songs were “Dr. Love” and of course, “Rock and Roll All Nite” accompanied by a three minute shower of confetti, stage fog, and a few thousand pairs of arms in the air.

Nowadays, KISS concerts are more about the party and nostalgia than discriminating musicianship and the presentation of new material. There are a handful of shows concert goers attend because they want consistency; they want to reminisce and memorialize their carefree, Rock and Roll-fueled youth. KISS is one of those shows. The band changes just enough of the set list from town to town and tour to tour to keep fans coming back. You can always guarantee they will hit the stage with an overabundance of pyrotechnics, black and silver trademarked costumes (we’ll pretend those few makeup-free years in the 90’s never happened), a bit of fake blood from Simmons, and bit of flare and posturing from Stanley, and a solid backbone with Thayer and Singer.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

mrock13 wrote:No way in hell does this place hold 28,000 people.....MAYBE 15,000.
It holds every bit of 28000 or more....that's counting "capacity" in the lawn.