US "Alive 35" Show 23: 11/6/09 - Chicago

necronomicon
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by necronomicon »

Crunching the numbers...

United Center's 360 concert seating capacity is apparently 23,500. Since this is an end stage show, about 25-30% of the arena was blocked off. Let's call capacity for the show 16,500-18,000. At worst it was 85% full, so I'd say the low end of the number tonight was 14,000. The high end was probably 15-16k.
kisssman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kisssman »

raro1976 wrote:My way home from the show. They dropped say yeah already.
Yep.
I'll write more tomorrow, when I'm more awake.

In a nutshell....disappointed and boring.
Last edited by kisssman on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
botner0104
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by botner0104 »

necronomicon wrote:Just got home. back half of the set is the same. No Say Yeah - that was disappointing.

Paul's voice was better tonight, but he really struggled on Strutter and Modern Day Delilah, as usual. He was the weak point of the show, for sure. I will say that he was especially strong on other songs that were a notch higher in his range. Lick It Up was ironically the highlight of the set, especially the "Won't Get Fooled Again" breakdown.

Tommy, Eric and Gene essentially played a flawless set. I was very impressed by all three. Shock Me actually came off really well - and Tommy sang it well too.

The place was packed - probably 85-90% full to the arena seating capacity - and yes the nosebleeds were in play. At least 10-12,000 strong, probably more, although I can't recall the exact arena capacity for the UC.

That said the place was dead energy wise. I've never seen a crowd seemingly less into it. I was right smack in the middle of the floor, too, so it wasn't just my section. The band played it off well but it was just....weird. There was some good applause after coaxing, but several times on cue the crowd would miss Paul motioning for applause or just not care. Was eerie.

Some of Roxy's comments were hilarious after the show. She flat out refused to call Tommy and Eric by their names, she insisted that "Fake Ace" and "Fake Peter" were fine. I actually tried to correct her too, believe it or not. She has no real opinion on the debate that rages here, in fact she's never read this board and we've never really discussed that issue. She did say that "Fake Ace sang Shock Me better than I ever saw Ace do it - and I can say that cuz I saw Ace sing it last year". I thought that was an especially interesting take from a pretty good vocalist herself. I thought Tommy actually sang it pretty damned well tonight.
I just got back and agree with most of this. The crowd was lethargic for the most part, save for Deuce and then the encore, which was pretty energetic. That said, it was a much bigger crowd than I had anticipated.

I'm still kind of pissed that they only played MDD from Sonic Boom. C'mon dudes. Parasite, Shock Me and the "Classic of KISS classics", 100,000 Years could all be dropped....they didn't exactly get huge responses.

Hotter than Hell sounded great though. That was an unexpected surprise.

Eric Singer really drives their sound. Tommy, while solid, is no Ace, I'm sorry.

And Buckcherry was GREAT...the crowd was really into them, moreso than any other KISS opener. Despite the concerns about profanity, the only time that came into play was Crazy Bitch. But then again, even Paul dropped an F bomb during one of his canned speils, so it's all irrelevant.

Overall an entertaining show, but something was missing compared to the shows I saw on the Renuion/PC/Farewell Tours.
kisssman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kisssman »

necronomicon wrote:Just got home. back half of the set is the same. No Say Yeah - that was disappointing.

Paul's voice was better tonight, but he really struggled on Strutter and Modern Day Delilah, as usual. He was the weak point of the show, for sure. I will say that he was especially strong on other songs that were a notch higher in his range. Lick It Up was ironically the highlight of the set, especially the "Won't Get Fooled Again" breakdown.

Tommy, Eric and Gene essentially played a flawless set. I was very impressed by all three. Shock Me actually came off really well - and Tommy sang it well too.

The place was packed - probably 85-90% full to the arena seating capacity - and yes the nosebleeds were in play. At least 10-12,000 strong, probably more, although I can't recall the exact arena capacity for the UC.

That said the place was dead energy wise. I've never seen a crowd seemingly less into it. I was right smack in the middle of the floor, too, so it wasn't just my section. The band played it off well but it was just....weird. There was some good applause after coaxing, but several times on cue the crowd would miss Paul motioning for applause or just not care. Was eerie.

Some of Roxy's comments were hilarious after the show. She flat out refused to call Tommy and Eric by their names, she insisted that "Fake Ace" and "Fake Peter" were fine. I actually tried to correct her too, believe it or not. She has no real opinion on the debate that rages here, in fact she's never read this board and we've never really discussed that issue. She did say that "Fake Ace sang Shock Me better than I ever saw Ace do it - and I can say that cuz I saw Ace sing it last year". I thought that was an especially interesting take from a pretty good vocalist herself. I thought Tommy actually sang it pretty damned well tonight.
I thought the "Who" thing was completely unnecessary and boring. You wanna hear The Who, then go see The Who.

I feel that poor Singer is just wasted away up there on the logo. He's not on the stage, he's really not allowed to venture too far from the Kiss formula. Even is solo was boring. I don't know how he puts up with it.

Shock Me sucked....the Thayer pyro blows. In fact, aside from the different colored flash pots, there was nothing new or exciting.

Singer's drum solo was soooo boring.

And like a lot of others...100,000 Years was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY oo overplayed and extended.

On a scale of 1 to 5.....I give it a 2.
botner0104
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by botner0104 »

I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

Buckcherry was great. Tommy Thayer was boring. Paul Stanley is a god, but I hate him for not adding more Sonic Boom songs.
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CStomp1 »

I feel that poor Singer is just wasted away up there on the logo. He's not on the stage, he's really not allowed to venture too far from the Kiss formula. Even is solo was boring. I don't know how he puts up with it.

Totally disagree. Eric is the one member who seems to have enough rope to not follow the KISS formula. His playing adds many nice touches to the songs. The fact he's back with a double-bass speaks volumes. Solo was great - very entertaining. The rotating drum stand is a cool touch.
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Anomaly »

Hey, before I sign off, anyone remember when Paul said, "Who here has heard that he have a new album out called SonicBoom?!" And the response was pretty lackluster but then when he asks "Now who here has the new album? Don't lie!" And the response was huge?
Trance

re

Post by Trance »

Fuck 'em, if they want to do an oldies tour with 30 year old songs then bring back Ace and Peter and do it ... and Tommy singing "Shock Me" instead of "Lightning Strikes" is beyond me, more proof that if it wasn't for Wal-Mart signing a check they wouldn't have bothered with a new album.
Trance

re

Post by Trance »

Paul keeps singing songs like "Strutter" and "MDD" which he sounds like total shit on but still screams his ass off in between songs ... makes no sense to me AND if Gene wanted to sing a new song he'd sing it, Gene doesn't want to sing new songs.
1976kicksass
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 1976kicksass »

kisssman wrote: I feel that poor Singer is just wasted away up there on the logo. He's not on the stage, he's really not allowed to venture too far from the Kiss formula. Even is solo was boring. I don't know how he puts up with it.
I wouldn't feel too bad for ol' Eric he's getting paid more money then he ever has with anyone else,that's for sure. I've done more boring gigs than KISS for a lot less ;)
Mercyful Mike
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mercyful Mike »

Deuce
Strutter
Let Me Go, Rock 'n Roll
Hotter Than Hell (w/ Firebreathing)
Shock Me
Calling Dr. Love
Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin (Tommy Solo)
Parasite
100,000 Years (Eric Solo)
I Love It Loud (Gene Solo w/ Tolling Bell, Blood, Flight)
Black Diamond
Rock And Roll All Nite
--------------------------
Shout It Out Loud
Lick It Up
Love Gun
Detroit Rock City

Well, I will try and keep this all to the point. Really, really good show. Best KISS show I've ever seen? Not even close, but still a rockin' good time. The United Center holds just under 22,000 last time I checked, and to my utter surprise, the place was packed! I had nosebleeds (312), but things were chaotic up there! Probably not a sell out, but at LEAST 90% full.

Basically the same setlist from the first half of the tour, but rearranged a tad bit. HUGE let down that "Say Yeah", or any other Sonic Boom material were absent from the set. C'mon guys, ya just a had a week off-shake it up a little!

So how's Paul? IMO it took him a good third of the show to warm up. He struggled on "Strutter", and had a sour note on "Hotter Than Hell". My biggest problem is the highs in "Modern Day Delilah"- he just can't do it. AND for the final scream at the end of the song, it is SO evident now that they put effects on his voice that it just sounds retarded. It doesn't even sync up correctly. Horrible, and almost embarrasing. However, after the MDD debacle, Paul really fell into his zone, and without a doubt, sounded absolutely brilliant. Best he has sung on this tour thus far for what I have heard. Welcome back, Paul!

The rest of the boys? Gene sounded exceptionally good tonight, Eric pounds with the best of them and Tommy... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Sorry guys, but he bores the shit out of me. I sat down in protest of him singing "Shock Me". He needs to make the persona his own, much like Eric has done. 'Nuff said.

That's about it! Thank god IWMFLY is dropped! Wish they had played more Sonic Boom stuff! The new stage is fucking cool as hell! The beers were WAAAAAAAAAAY to expensive! They sold out of programs! Necromonicon! Sorry I missed you- I can't text and walk at the same time! Warmachine731! Thanks for getting my updates! Hope you are back online today! And oh yeah... CHICAGO TRAFFIC SUCKS ASS!

For those interested, I'm off to see Ace tonight in Madison. Will post review tomorrow. I'm out!
asamford

Post by asamford »

Mercyful Mike wrote:
For those interested, I'm off to see Ace tonight in Madison. Will post review tomorrow. I'm out!
damn, KISS and Ace on back-to-back nights, that's pretty sweet!!
LadySpace
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by LadySpace »

raro1976 wrote:They dropped say yeah already.
I was greatly dissapointed.
LadySpace
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by LadySpace »

kisssman wrote: In a nutshell....disappointed and boring.
I was expecting more. Show was great, but the set list needed work. And Shock Me needs to go, especially since I'll be seeing Ace perform it tonight........