Summer '11 Show 5: 6/27/11 - Abbotsford, BC

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Summer '11 Show 5: 6/27/11 - Abbotsford, BC

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

Details
June 27 – Entertainment & Sports Center, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Promoter: Global Spectrum/Live Nation
Opening act(s): Bad City
Reported attendance: ? / 8,500

SETLIST

http://kissfaq.com/tourdates/2011/062711.html

Notes:
- The Envy were scheduled to open most dates on the tour, but cancelled all on 6/19...
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

(Abbotsford, BC) Global Spectrum, operators of the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre are getting ready to rock and roll all night on June 27th as KISS takes over the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre.

“KISS is one of the biggest bands in the world. They have performed in front of millions of fans and have sold millions and millions of records worldwide,” said Jason Blumenfeld, General Manager for Global Spectrum Managed Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre. “It will be the biggest show to ever play in Abbotsford. We are so excited to have them and can’t wait for the show this summer. ”

“It’s exciting for us to have this level of entertainment coming to the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre,” said Mayor George W. Peary. “KISS has spanned quite a few generations and I’m sure it will be a show to remember!”

KISS, the legendary American rock band formed in New York City in 1972, is one of the most influential bands in the history of rock and roll. Their career milestones are staggering. KISS is one of America's top gold-record champions who recorded 37 albums over 36 years and has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide. Over thirty years of record-breaking tours around the globe include high-profile appearances at Super Bowl XXXIII, the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the 2005 Rockin' The Corps concert dedicated to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, and, most recently, the 2009 finale of American Idol that boasted 30 million viewers.

The KISS legacy continues to grow generation after generation. The unparalleled devotion and loyalty of the KISS Army to the "Hottest Band in the World" is a striking testament to the band's unbreakable bond with its fans. In 2009, KISS was nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Sonic Boom, KISS’ first album in 11 years and produced by Paul Stanley, is available exclusively at Wal-Mart, Walmart.com and Sam’s Club. For additional information on KISS, visit www.KISSonline.com.

http://www.abbotsfordcentre.ca/shared/e ... =undefined
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

KISS is making its first-ever foray to the Fraser Valley this summer, playing the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre on June 27 (get tickets here). It'll be the '70s glam-rock legends' first Lower Mainland show since November of 2009, when the current lineup of Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, and two guys in Ace Frehley and Peter Criss getup played GM Place (before it was renamed Rogers Arena).

I remember that show well, as do the legions of hardcore Kiss fans who called me nasty names for criticising Stanley's subpar vocals. Who knew the Kiss Army was still in fighting form, and ready to lash out at a moment's notice?

The blowback from that writeup was intense and long-lasting; just today a comment was posted to my initial live blog from that show, even though it happened 18 months ago. Unlike the majority of comments, though, this one actually agreed with my assessment and didn't call for my immediate resignation from the rock-writing field.

I have no idea how Paul Stanley's vocals are holding up right now, but for the sake of all the diehard Kiss fans planning on spending $150 (plus service charges and fees) for the best seats at the Abbotsford show, I hope they've improved a little.

Not that it matters much. KISS has never been just about the music (or singing), obviously. They've got an arsenal of time-tested stunts and pyrotechnics to distract from any and all performance inadequacies.

I'm expecting the lifelong Kiss followers to show up in force come June, especially considering Abbotsford's proximity to my old stomping grounds of Chilliwack, where it wasn't safe to walk the streets in '75 if you didn't own a jean jacket emblazoned with a Kiss Army patch. And even though Stanley's vocals were godawful last time around, that wasn't reason enough to make me burn my autographed copy of KISS Alive. I still harbour fond underaged memories of seeing them in their prime at the Commodore on the Hotter Than Hell tour. Here's what they looked and sounded like:

P.S.: Ace rules!

http://www.straight.com/article-391700/ ... still-sing

P.S.: Another blow-hard...
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Summer '11 Show 5: 6/27/11 - Abbotsford, BC

Post by kissthat »

Still not ready to KISS goodbye

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Still ... story.html

He likes it loud onstage, but KISS lead singer Paul Stanley is soft-­spoken over the phone as he prepares to go on the road again with the band he has fronted since 1974 — a tour that brings them to Abbotsford Monday night.

“We’ll be ready with guns blazing when we hit Abbotsford,” Stanley said in an interview before a show Thursday in Everett, Wash.

He says the band — Stanley, original bassist-singer Gene Simmons, drummer (on and off for 20 years) Eric Singer and guitarist (for the past 10 years) Tommy Thayer — doesn’t do the punishing 200-show-a-year schedule anymore.

“We might go out for two or three months at a time and average about four shows a week,” he says.

“We can do 70, 80 shows a year . . . Quite honestly, as much as I love doing this, I don’t understand the people who forget that they have a home. It works terrifically, because it means that every time we do go out, we want to be there and we’re ready to do it.”

The 59-year-old Stanley has kept his voice and his lean physique as other rockers — including former KISS bandmates Peter Criss and Ace Frehley — fell prey to the backstage temptations of the road.

No “Cold Gin” for Stanley, despite the title of one of their more famous songs.

“Well you know, everything is available and then it’s a matter of what you want to do,” he says.

“Backstage is a buffet and you don’t have to indulge, or you certainly can. For me to do what I do at this point, it’s important that I’m ready to go out there and give people what they’re expecting, or more. That’s a big responsibility, and the longer the band’s been around the bigger the reputation is.”

Or, to put it bluntly: “Nobody wants to see a fat guy in tights. At least not in this band, or at least not me. There’s a certain discipline involved, and I’m as vain as the next guy.”

He laughs over the phone. “When you’re going to get up onstage and have spotlights on you, and you’re going to be wearing something that shows what you ate for dinner, you better make sure that the dinner they see was yesterday’s.”

Which means that the Beverly Hills house he shares with wife Erin and a brood of three children — a teenage son from a previous marriage, a younger boy and a girl, with a fourth child due this August — has one room full of gym equipment.

No need for the exercise gear on the road, Stanley says.

“The show is the ultimate workout, I can’t even replicate that in a regular workout,” he adds.

“What I do onstage is fuelled by adrenalin, you’ll do things in front of an audience you’d find impossible to do on your own or with a ­trainer.”

All that while strutting in five-inch platforms, a trick he’s mastered over the decades. “Once you get used to the thin air up where we are, it’s what I’ve done my whole life, it really is second nature.”

A KISS show involves loud, simple songs, big pyrotechnics and Simmons spewing blood and flying over the stage, ingredients that KISS crowds have come to expect over the years. If the show has changed, says Stanley, it’s in the craft applied to everything, particularly the pyro, which seems hot enough to roast marshmallows in the front row.

“We have the best people working with us,” Stanley says. “When we first started doing it, it was crude to say the least. There were no licensed pyrotechnicians, you had some guy who liked to blow stuff up and you put him on salary. It’s come a long way since then.”

Stanley says the band draws an all-ages crowd these days. Even entire families come to hear “Love Gun” and “Lick It Up.”

“The great thing about a KISS audience is it’s really more of a tribal thing than a rock concert. You have people of all ages. Most rock concerts are very age-specific, where you don’t want to see your little ­brother or your father there.

“I think it’s great. People want to share it with their children — it’s a rite of passage that they went through.”

The band is still coming up with new material, with the album Sonic Boom released in 2009 and another collection of songs ready for release in 2012. Some new songs make it into the show, but Stanley says it’s heavy on the crowd favourites.

“To a degree, we want to play things from the most recent album, but our show tends to be a consensus of what our audience wants to hear. It’s not self-indulgence that brings us to an arena.”

Outside of KISS, Stanley has starred in a Toronto stage production of The Phantom of the Opera, which doesn’t seem that far from a KISS show with the amps turned down.

He and longtime ­collaborator ­Simmons live near each other, although Stanley’s offstage life happens out of camera range.

“He literally lives down the street from me, but we give each other a lot of space,” Stanley says of Simmons, who stars in his own reality TV show. “We see each other and we have a great partnership and we don’t take it further than is realistic.”

And KISS fans can rest easy — Stanley says there’s no end in sight.

“When it’s no longer fun or I can’t do it, I won’t,” he says. “I don’t want to say the show evolves or progresses, it just mutates — it’s the same thing but bigger and better.

“Do we blow stuff up? Hell yeah. Do we play real loud? Hell yeah. That’s what we do, we entertain. We’re a killer rock band that prides itself on being entertainers.”

gschaefer@theprovince.com

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/health/Still ... z1QPfY7PHs
the-rockstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by the-rockstar »

Block party outside the arena at 5 pm! Can't wait for this show! Woo
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

one day until i see kiss!!!
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

alright, im tired so i'll post a full review tomorow but i will say this: i defy anyone to go to a kiss show and say that modern kiss doesn't kick all kinds of ass.

bad city opened - no the envy.

they played the same songs as previously, but in a slightly different order:

Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin
Let me Go, Rock And Roll
Firehouse
Say Yeah
Deuce
Do You Love me
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
Tommy Thayer/Eric Singer solo
Gene Simmons Bass Solo
God of Thunder
Love Gun
I love it loud
100,000 years- i like this because it's just like the classic shows
Black Diamond- with the ultimate 100,000 years - black diamond 1-2 punch.
Detroit Rock City - lots of pyro
------------------------------------------------------------
Beth
Lick it Up
Shout it out loud
Rock and Roll All Night

hordes of dumbasses walked out before the encores.

again, great show, full review tomorrow
Black_Diamond
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: In a moonlit grocery store, hence why I'm in my werewolf form. :p

Post by Black_Diamond »

I kinda like this setlist. Too bad they dropped GGRNRTY (made the show too long ?) and that CCN was removed for Do You Love Me? but it's still a nice setlist. :)
the-rockstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by the-rockstar »

Too tired for an indepth review but I'll do it tomorrow. The show was amazing, Paul was superb, KISS are still the greatest. Review later.
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

the-rockstar wrote:Too tired for an indepth review but I'll do it tomorrow. The show was amazing, Paul was superb, KISS are still the greatest. Review later.
this
cbingham
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by cbingham »

It's kind of a shame that God Gave and Crazy Crazy Nights are dropped but it's still a nice setlist. I wasn't at this show, but I agree with what RARANAPED and the rockstar said. Modern KISS was certainly the best show I ever saw (I never saw any other KISS) and I'm glad that RARANAPED and the rockstar enjoyed it.
steve5635
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by steve5635 »

i hate god gave, the only kiss song i just can't stand, glad they droped it

btw--- was there a tourbook for sale ?????????????
Black_Diamond
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: In a moonlit grocery store, hence why I'm in my werewolf form. :p

Post by Black_Diamond »

cbingham wrote:It's kind of a shame that God Gave and Crazy Crazy Nights are dropped but it's still a nice setlist.
I concur. :)
G6O6A6T
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by G6O6A6T »

Did Paul or Gene do any flying?
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

G6O6A6T wrote:Did Paul or Gene do any flying?
nope, too small a venue, gene wouldve hit the celing :lol:
nfarend
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by nfarend »

Cool! Great to hear that you enjoyed it.
MDD as opener still works for me. It's bombasic enough to be an opener. I salute them for having the balls to still use it as an opener! They could have easily returned to Deuce or DRC.

Attachments
StillRock.JPG
StillRock.JPG (18.05 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

I noticed they've picked the tempo back up on GOT.......
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

Cant believe they play the same songs every year.
heart_of_chrome

Post by heart_of_chrome »

kissthat wrote:

I noticed they've picked the tempo back up on GOT.......
eric looks very peter-like on the screens. :D
the-rockstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by the-rockstar »

I couldn't believe how good this show was. After seeing the band for now 26 years, they blew me away on Monday. The set list is stale, sure I admit that but the sheer energy and presence on stage was amazing. Paul sounded much better and the songs went off well.

Being a small arena made it even crazier.
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

[quote="the-rockstar"]I couldn't believe how good this show was. After seeing the band for now 26 years, they blew me away on Monday. The set list is stale, sure I admit that but the sheer energy and presence on stage was amazing. Paul sounded much better and the songs went off well.

Being a small arena made it even crazier.[/quote]
i agree, although a downside to the small arena would be how stuffy the place got after all that pyro and pot.
scamper
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by scamper »

I cant believe the postings that say that Paul sounded better. Better than what? His voice was awful, the worst I have heard to date. Bootleg or not. There is nothing left, save for his tendency to do the shrill falsetto to mask how poorly his voice has degenerated. I saw the guys in Vancouver in November 2009 and even this his voice was pretty bad. It has gotten much worse. At some points in the song, particularly Say yeah, Paul missed quite a few words and stopped singing the chorus.

To new eyes, the show is still enjoyable, but to the hardcore fan, disappointing to say the least. What struck me the most is how the band, particularly Gene and Paul have slowed dowm. This is most evident during the sideways swing at the end of Deuce which was so short and stiff it was pathetic. I will say that the finale was pretty impressive and bombastic and thankfully Gene still has the vocal chops.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

IDy6pCbUAu0
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Slick2007
Banned

Post by Slick2007 »

....hordes of dumbasses walked out before the encores.

What, and miss Shout it out loud, the song for the masses???

I guess the only one's staying were the handful of rabid fans, hee!